Options

It's Party Thyme in the [PLANTS] Thread!

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Update: pictures taken on two different days (hence the wildly different lighting) but the daffodils are at peak now:
    jiqc2i4uh86a.jpg
    k1ynwtijk92f.jpg
    ol89u81c97jh.jpg
    4f1lqc66ktm7.jpg
    d8244hfw4f37.jpg

They smell nice too. Not very strong, but a light sweet scent that wafts on the breeze.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Since things are starting to get into full flower now and we've had amazing weather the last few days I've been out trying to ID as many things as possible on our property. I'm at 23 species so far, just of wildflowers (I tried to tackle grasses yesterday but haha, grasses are hard).

Today I found about a dozen instances of a plant which is apparently critically endangered in this country, so I have some extreme plant nerd excitement happening right now, and I also want to build a glass bubble over our garden out of fear of them getting hurt.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    @Brovid Hasselsmof

pics of the precious flowers, pls

• Options
    All the other 23 species too if you have the time.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Well, turns out I'm an idiot. Last year I had stripped turf and sowed seeds in the area where this flower has come up, but after seeing it a few days ago I checked the website I bought the seeds from and the mixes I bought don't include corn buttercup, so I thought maybe they had been dormant in the soil and removing the turf made them come up. But I've just found the brochure they sent me with my order and it turns out one of the mixes I used did in fact contain corn buttercup. They must have changed the mix since I bought it so their site no longer lists it.

So I mean it is still nice to see it and it is still an endangered plant, but I put it there, so it's not as exciting as it was.

Have some photos anyway
    Plant in question, corn buttercup (Ranunculus arvensis), with its seed head
    k881i777upke.jpg

And compared to a regular meadow buttercup (R. acris)
    osot2rkzeq88.jpg

This morning found the first common poppy (Papaver rhoeas) blooming in the same patch
    qmf7gjlh1478.jpg

Cornflowers (Centaurea cyanus) are also starting to come out , which I love
    9e492d43tzqv.jpg

Yellow rattle (Rhinanthus minor) doing its thing to reduce the grass dominance. Kind of a weird looking flower.
    iqejcjvhe4a9.jpg

And a bonus pic of red clover (Trifolium pratense) which isn't part of the wildflowers I've sowed but is everywhere and looks cool
    w8wx2ifdz675.jpg

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Attempt 2 at starting peppers this year. I think it wasn't hot enough to get them to sprout during round 1

lfbjYix.jpg

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    I planted some cat nip and now the neighborhood cats have found it. One has come to my door and scratched to be let in for the last few nights. My cats are not amused by this to say the least. Now the stray jumps up onto my deck and looks in the windows. I brushed him out and cut some of the tangles out of his fur but he was high on the nip and wanted to bite me. someone is feeding him but he is not getting any care beyond that.

I also got my first paw paw tree to grow from seed, found some more wild ginseng, and have a few berry crops growing.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I relocated my pepper babies from the guest room to the living room, which is nominally cooler in temperature but gets more sunload during the day, and they are THRIVING! So that's exciting!

In less good news (very less) my monstera has turned from gloriously happy to losing leaves to browning. It's also shot a bunch of aerial roots out, I assume looking for places to climb. It clearly needs either a bigger pot or a proper very tall moss pole or both, but I'm not sure how to diagnose what will make it happiest...

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    My monstera is also confusing me. I only got it late last year so it didn't do much for a while. This year it's put out three new leaves, the first of which was full of splits but the next two have no splits at all. My mates (who have an enormous monstera full of holely leaves) reckon it's lack of light, but I keep it right on my windowsill while theirs is in the middle of their lounge. So I'm not sure what the deal is. I want those funky leaves.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    I relocated my pepper babies from the guest room to the living room, which is nominally cooler in temperature but gets more sunload during the day, and they are THRIVING! So that's exciting!

In less good news (very less) my monstera has turned from gloriously happy to losing leaves to browning. It's also shot a bunch of aerial roots out, I assume looking for places to climb. It clearly needs either a bigger pot or a proper very tall moss pole or both, but I'm not sure how to diagnose what will make it happiest...
    My monstera is also confusing me. I only got it late last year so it didn't do much for a while. This year it's put out three new leaves, the first of which was full of splits but the next two have no splits at all. My mates (who have an enormous monstera full of holely leaves) reckon it's lack of light, but I keep it right on my windowsill while theirs is in the middle of their lounge. So I'm not sure what the deal is. I want those funky leaves.

I just got into plants the last 6 months or so and get most of my plant care info from Darryl Cheng's website. I've managed to notice multiple pest infestations in friend's plants at this point due to his photo guides on different plant pests...
    I think he's even taking submissions for personalised plant help atm as long as people are willing for him to share photos of the plants in question, so that could be an option?

Otherwise my first suggestions would be measure light levels in the area the plants are in, check if the soil needs aerating or if the plant is rootbound, whether the plant needs fertiliser and/or more water, and keep checking the leaves for pests just in case.

• Options
    0qj8p9cedepl.jpg

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Fortunately it's not bugs. But it could be
    check if the soil needs aerating or if the plant is rootbound, whether the plant needs fertiliser and/or more water

Literally any of these

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I drove out to an AG college this weekend and spent way too much money on a bunch of pepper plants.

How am I not supposed to buy something called "Death Spiral"!?

I like to ART
  • Options
    I can sympathise. I spent a lot of money on plants at the weekend just because they smelled of things I didn't expect them to smell of.

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    We spent a ton of money on plants this year.

We have mulched our entire fence perimeter (yay less mowing) and planted things there.

My raised beds are doing well. My garlic is almost ready to harvest, my early tomatoes are making fruit, my sage is taking over, my basil is starting to shoot off.

I just gotta get on the ball and weed the raised beds, it's starting to get a bit wild in there.

• Options
    I keep nervously hovering around my garlic patch trying to will them to make good bulbs. I've never had success with garlic before, it's always bolted, but none of this has and it's so close to harvest time and I'm feeling the pressure.

• Options
    Last year 4/5 of my garlic died at separate times. Only ended with like 3.

This year, instead of using grocery store garlic, I used farmers market garlic. My thoughts being that locally grown garlic would probably do better?

I didn't really change my watering habits or anything. And nothing has died! So I'll probably do the same next year as well.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »

This year, instead of using grocery store garlic, I used farmers market garlic. My thoughts being that locally grown garlic would probably do better?

I didn't really change my watering habits or anything. And nothing has died! So I'll probably do the same next year as well.

I wonder if it's a difference between GMO vs Heirloom where the GMO needs special care taking vs the heirloom cultivar?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I tried to google GMO garlic and the only result is some marijuana strain. I'm not sure garlic exists as a GMO, because it just doesn't need to. I can't think of any pests that eat it, and it's theoretically very easy to grow.

• Options
    This year I got mine from The Garlic Farm on the Isle of Wight. I assume they know their garlic.

I also have some I've grown from bulbils, which is seeds-but-not-seeds, from some stuff I had that bolted last year, but that's still tiny because plants grown from bulbils take 2 or 3 years to mature.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular

It may still be fairly young. Monstera's don't start to fully put out split leaves until they're a couple of years old. Light is the most important factor in getting the split leaves, but a young monstera will put out the solid heart-shaped leaves for a while.

• Options
    JimBobtheMonkeyJimBobtheMonkey Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I wonder if it's a difference between GMO vs Heirloom where the GMO needs special care taking vs the heirloom cultivar?

Store bought garlic and root vegetables are usually treated with a sprouting inhibitor so they last longer in storage. You're almost always better off getting them from a nursery or whatnot. Same for potatoes, onions, ginger, etc.
    https://www.ishs.org/ishs-article/1088_79

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Store bought garlic and root vegetables are usually treated with a sprouting inhibitor so they last longer in storage. You're almost always better off getting them from a nursery or whatnot. Same for potatoes, onions, ginger, etc.
    https://www.ishs.org/ishs-article/1088_79

Yeah just like @Pinfeldorf I was looking around some google searches and couldn't find much myself but that's good to know.

I did find there are different cultivars that grow in different seasons and zones so that's good to know too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    A friend who's moving to the States left me two plants, a rosemary bush - which is the one type of plant I have managed to kill repeatedly - and a Fukien tea tree bonsai. So I guess I'm going to learn how to tend/prune a bonsai and also, hopefully, not kill a Fukien tea tree, whose care instructions are EXTREMELY COMPLICATED.

So uhh hey if anyone's into bonsai tending let me know I guess?

Also my monstera was losing leaves because it was thiiiiirsty so now I'm watering it and my fuckin' basil every two days

Fuckin' basil

E: Monstera's going gangbusters though so that's cool, and a bunch of its aerial roots are sticking straight up along its planter poles or crawling along the window ledge

I realise this is a long time ago, but I'm curious about how the bonsai is doing? I actually have a Fukien tea bonsai, the first I ever managed to keep alive!

We have a self watering pot, which has been incredible for keeping it happy. Usually top up once or twice per week so it doesn't dry out.

Our bonsai was pretty well shaped when we got it, so have mostly been trimming once new shoots get too long. Should probably clear a few more leaves, but it's alive so I'm happy.

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • Options
    My bonsai is doing just fine! Growing happily I think - I will say at least this one loses leaves as fast as it grows them but it's very bushy so it's not like it's a sign that it's ailing as far as I can tell. And truthfully all I do is water it around the edge of the pot every 2-3 days lightly with water mixed with special bonsai food.

But um. it's definitely not being. Shaped. I don't know how long I get to call it a bonsai. At some point I think it just becomes a Fukien tea tree of small scale.

I did some studying and reading on monstera and I've determined that mine is probably in need of repotting (although not a new pot necessarily), a better moss pole and some fresh fertilizer. Maybe also a trim of any roots that look rott-y once I take it out of the pot. The edges of the leaves are generally what browns first before a leaf dies, and although the soil isn't SUPER dry, that seems to be generally an underwatering issue rather than overwatering. The aerial root proliferation I was worried about is just a normal thing grown-up monstera do. I got a new coco coir pole that should see it throw its next big growth spurts and I've drafted a friend to help repot it this weekend since uhh, it's fucking huge. If I get ambitious I'll look at splitting it into a 2 separate monstera pots to give its roots more space.

I also got a teeny baby sago palm yesterday and it's so cute.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    0qj8p9cedepl.jpg

I had one of these near me in AR that I passed regularly. It was two years before I realized it wasn't just an odd looking tree.

• Options
    I have harvested my garlic!

Got 27 of them. Though they're smaller than I'd like.

Now they're setting out to dry a bit and I've cut off the top parts to make pesto with

• Options
    I got new plants!

I had to do some repotting - still need to do my monstera, but it's too big to wrangle solo and my garden friend cancelled on me - which of course means I am left with empty pots so I had to buy new plants to fill those

Got a million hearts plant (dischidia ruscifolia) for my hanging planter

vr2zDw3h.jpg

Some sad little lithops because I've been dying for a lithops for ages - I hope they are happy in their new home, they were super root-bound in their shitty little plastic planter

DQsxdpMh.jpg

A 'Zanzibar' croton to take over where my Japanese laurel was

YrsgCXch.jpg

And an Arabian jasmine because it seemed like it would enjoy the available pot where I shifted my basil out into something deeper, and because it loves sun, and I have a very sunny window where that pot sits.

KRG0XgZh.jpg

The jasmine unfortunately seems to have a mild case of spider mites which I did not catch when I looked it over at the shop, so I've ensured it isn't in contact with any other plants (I don't put new plants in contact with old for a while generally anyway to avoid spreading any infestation from the nurseries) and sprayed its leaves with some diluted neem oil. I'll have to keep an eye on it though, I've read that some plants have an adverse reaction to neem even when it's diluted.

Also here's my Japanese laurel all repotted! I love this plant so I hope it in particular doesn't get transplant shock. You can see it has some brown tips on some of its leaves - that's why I decided to repot it, I was concerned it needed more than just a fertilizer top-up.

E5ZoO62h.jpg

Oh and here's the sago palm bb with lurking bonsai background

OLdsHLfh.jpg

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Oh yeah, it's all coming together.

ymrk7btl.jpg

Cb4ya47l.jpg

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Pictures appear to not be available.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Lost Salient's post prompted me to check my monstera's housing situation and, uh, its roots seem to have basically consumed its pot. Like I think I might have to cut the plastic pot to get the roots out. So maybe it needs repotting.

I hate repotting house plants, I never know what kind of soil to give them and it's always a coin flip on if I kill it.

• Options
    My understanding is that because of its aerial root tendency (especially when mature) monstera can be happy to be somewhat tightly-fitted in a way that other plants aren't, but yeah, cutting the plastic out is annoying and difficult, really rootbound ain't great. I really need to do mine, so hopefully my friend will be happy to get dirty this coming weekend.

Monstera should have an easily-aerated/well-draining soil (so like potting soil mixed with those weird lava-rock pebbles, or fibre/bark or whatever) though fwiw

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    whelp every single seed in that tray seems to have sprouted, I'm debating whether I should separate them when I transfer or just move the "grove" for each strain

I like to ART
  • Options
    So excited for harvest time

qn23mgqs14da.jpg

• Options
    I've picked 4 tomatoes from my Early Girl tomato plant. The other tomato plants have some fruit but haven't ripened yet. Still nothing on the pepper plants

• Options
    I've got a lot of green tomatoes but don't think any will be ready for a bit longer. My peppers are only just putting flowers out, except for one chilli pepper I noticed today has some teeny chillies.

We've had a few crops of sugar snap peas which taste amazing, and I think we'll get our first potatoes soon. Got our first baby beetroot for dinner tonight and I also just pulled up our first lettuce.

I also have one sweetcorn starting to flower, but all the rest are only ankle high so I doubt I'm going to get anything out of it. It's the only survivor from the first patch I sowed, poor lonely thing.

Growing veggies is amazing. It's FOOD and it just comes out of the DIRT. What the fuck??

• Options
    oh, my wife got some lettuce that her great grandmother brought over from croatia. they've been growing it in the family forever and so her mom gave us some plants and we're letting them go to seed and go from there.

• Options
    So these beetroot I grew were a mix of colours, some red, some white, and some pink. Only when you cut into the pink ones they look like this

cpatcf9tiyh2.jpg

• Options
    So last fall I not only planted over a thousand bulbs, but I also scattered a lot of native lupine seeds in areas that had been disturbed (a couple were gardens that had been weeded and cleaned a bit, a rough slope with little vegetation near a road, and some others).

Today I confirmed lupine seedlings in at least three different locations. Going to be next year at the earliest if any of them are going to survive long enough to bloom, but the seedlings are enough right now to confirm that the principle is sound, and I need to get more seeds this fall. Looks like there might be another Lupine Lady in the region.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Today we had our first potato harvest
    6m7l4xqdb96b.jpg

And our first carrots
    Somewhat less impressive! But they tasted ok.

Hopefully the ones I've grown from seed will look less eldritch. These were store-bought seedlings and I don't think they liked being transplanted.

hr7wov2t8fse.jpg

At dinner tonight every plant on our plate was something I had grown myself. I think that's the first time that's ever happened.

Brovid Hasselsmof on