Options

It's Party Thyme in the [PLANTS] Thread!

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Those're some mighty fun spuds, bud.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Garlic harvest today
    nq3upcb6sosf.jpg

It's so beautiful.

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Some creature is eating my tomatoes just before they ripen :(

Gonna have to start picking them a bit early and have them hang out by a window sill.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Garlic harvest today
    nq3upcb6sosf.jpg

It's so beautiful.

how does prep/drying garlic post harvest work?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    You can use them straight away but if you want to store them they need to be cured, which just means being left somewhere cool, dry, and shady for a few weeks. You can just put them on a shelf or plait their leaves together and hang them if you're feeling fancy, doesn't matter as long as there's plenty of ventilation around the bulbs.

We happened to have this big wooden thing leaning against the wall in one of our outbuildings, which used to be a stable so I think it's a hay rack maybe? So I've just hung the garlics from that by looping the leaves over the bars, seems to work pretty well.

Supposedly most of these will last 6 months once they're dry. Which is good because I think we have enough to last us a year.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    You have a dozen of those racks?

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    I'm about halfway through my 27 garlics.

to be fair, they are a little smaller than what you usually buy and I gave 6 to my dad.

• Options
    We got 70-something, and we usually average one or two bulbs a week. But they're pretty variable in size, we got quite a few big ones and also a fair number of tiny ones. Plus 3 that didn't form cloves so they're just a solid garlic lump.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Hello plant thread, I am not much if a plant person myself, but my partner is.

We recently moved from LA to Portland, and took our plants with us. They took quite the thrashing on the move (too much sun and too hot for too long, mostly), and now my partner is trying to get them back to life.

They mean quite a lot to her and I’d like to help in keeping them around, but I know basically zilch about keeping plants alive, let alone nurturing them back to health.

Any pointers or resources y’all can direct me towards?

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Usually, one of the big things is to give them a lot more water, because they need the water when they're being moved (more stress means they need to photosynthesize more to make up for energy losses, so they need more water to do it). This goes even more for record high temperatures; heck of a time to move them.

But, certain plants of course shouldn't be flooded with water for various reasons. It's really going to depend on the plants themselves - what kinds do you have?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I love smelling my fingers after picking herbs

…..like after scratching your balls but not revolting

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Hello plant thread, I am not much if a plant person myself, but my partner is.

We recently moved from LA to Portland, and took our plants with us. They took quite the thrashing on the move (too much sun and too hot for too long, mostly), and now my partner is trying to get them back to life.

They mean quite a lot to her and I’d like to help in keeping them around, but I know basically zilch about keeping plants alive, let alone nurturing them back to health.

Any pointers or resources y’all can direct me towards?

A lot of people rehab plants by sticking them in clear plastic bins to keep the humidity high. This is mainly for tropical plants though, I don't think it would necessarily work for plants like succulents. If the plants are big enough you could also try to chop and prop a few of them as insurance?

• Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    I noticed many more japanese beetles this year and I know they are not great travelers so I walked around the neighborhood looking for the source. Found a guy up the street was the culprit. He grows grapes, peppers, herbs, and berries. Talked to him about the dangers of pesticides and got him to get some biological controls going on. He sorta listened and now the beetles are knocked down but he didn't get the stuff to go after the grubs so I think they will return next year. I'm going to keep an eye on his yard and if I see damage from the grubs I'll turn over the sod and show him, that may do the trick.

• Options
    Had my first cherry tomatoes today, straight off the cordon. They taste amazing.

Also have discovered at least 7 melons growing on various vines. I have about 15 vines and they're just getting going so I foresee a lot of melons in my future. Just got to hope the good weather keeps up.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I just got an OGarden, so I'm excited to give that a go.
    Outdoor garden is doing pretty good, though I've let my tomato plants go out of control (I didn't know to prune them) and the rods to hold them in place didn't work, so they've drooped over to other plants.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Has anyone experienced weird mutant looking tomato plants? I have one that has gone really strange. The leaves are growing all twisted and it seems to be sprouting leaves from all along its main stem and the leaf stems. Like it's going fractal. Still growing and producing fruit though.

I just watched a video essay on YouTube about the film Annihilation and honestly that's what this plant is reminding me of.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Has anyone experienced weird mutant looking tomato plants? I have one that has gone really strange. The leaves are growing all twisted and it seems to be sprouting leaves from all along its main stem and the leaf stems. Like it's going fractal. Still growing and producing fruit though.

I just watched a video essay on YouTube about the film Annihilation and honestly that's what this plant is reminding me of.

Someone else may have a more informed, boring answer. But I say figure out how to save those seeds! Maybe you got a neat mutant for next year. Though I have no idea if tomatoes breed true at ALL. So many commercial plants don't for a variety of natural and sometimes deliberate reasons. Pics would be cool though, maybe this is the tomato romanesco

• Options
    Pretty sure they wouldn't, they are F1 hybrids. Most of the plants I've got this year are. I'm going to try and get heirloom varieties next year so I can save the seed.

• Options
    I took some photos of the messed up tomato plant

This is the central stem of one of the leaves, which is sprouting leaves and flower buds all along the stem
    3l7w1n78g0eu.jpg

The top of the main stem, which is ribbed for extra pleasure. It's also sprouting leaves in places leaves don't usually sprout.pvs78x9xqvm7.jpg

And the tomatoes themselves seem to be forming pert little buttocks
    xapvfbpljeak.jpg

• Options
    Look at that cat!
    Also neat looking plant!

• Options
    I didn't even notice he was there when I took the picture. He just follows me everywhere.
    Bonus cat photo
    qu5bzjymql4h.jpg

I have now learned that the plant weirdness is apparently something called fasciation, which can be caused by frost, disease, or physical damage but in this case is probably just a mutation. It makes for some extremely Glitch-In-Reality looking plants.

9edgmcg54qpv.jpg

I have become quite fond of my freaky tomato.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I've had this occur with dandelions in the yard. I've had huge mutant weeds pop up with freaky flowers before.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    We missed a zucchini when we were picking them that was hiding under the vine and we ended up with this monstrosity.

hklu07fqhq6h.jpg

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    That looks like a good contender for like a dozen loaves of zucchini bread.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Who the fuck planted an arm in your garden?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    does anyone have experience with growing moss indoors?

specifically what kind of light bulb to use?

I've been researching for days and have come to the conclusion that either no one knows anything or everyone knows everything. either way it's completely unhelpful and I'd rather just hear someone's personal experience

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    All I know is that you got to keep the rocks real still.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    This was my little foray into moss and its been sitting on my shelf with some cheap grow lights for a few months. It sits on a Tupperware lid and I leave the clear container on top to keep the moisture in. It hasn't propagated much but I haven't done anything with it.

G4XVNT1.jpg

Adellios on
  • Options
    @Adellios

thank you!

The LED kind or the CFL kind?

• Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    It says its an LED Full spectrum on the box but its only 800 lumens. I don't think moss is too picky unless its too bright.

Its the moisture control that's the hardest part I feel.

• Options
    @Xaquin I have extra LED grow lights if you want to borrow them on a semi-permanent basis.

• Options
    thank you both!

I'm definitely looking to buy =)

• Options
    There's a tarantula youtuber I watch who has moss in most of his enclosures and it doesn't seem like most of them have any lighting beyond what reaches them from the window.

• Options
    If it was close to a window I wouldn't worry about it, but it won't get any direct sun

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Fuck army worms

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    does anyone have experience with growing moss indoors?

specifically what kind of light bulb to use?

I've been researching for days and have come to the conclusion that either no one knows anything or everyone knows everything. either way it's completely unhelpful and I'd rather just hear someone's personal experience

I've accidentally grown a bunch with my attempt at growing a Rewarewa inside my kitchen. It just showed up. As far as lights go, I can't tell you exactly - it's a set of different LEDs, I'm assuming to achieve full spectrum? ( It's a Kickstarter Pico I got to try growing inside)

ZWT5W1i.jpg

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Hey, begonia, your grinchy attitude is kind of bumming me out this holiday season and I'm honestly over it.
    d89fygcu511r.jpeg

I take back everything I said, you're glorious and I'm sorry.
    0inxcom3m4x6.jpeg

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    My monstera has started getting yellow bits on its leaves. I don't know if it's lack of light because it's winter (so far it's only on the leaves furthest from the window) or improper watering. I find watering so much harder over winter because the plants need less but they also dry out really fast because of the central heating.

I also think I need to repot it and maybe give it something to climb because it looks like it's going to start trying to escape its pot soon. It's already trying to steal stationary from my desk drawer with its aerial roots.

@Xaquin did you ever figure out the moss? Rereading this page reminded me of this video https://youtu.be/CleZGsQGIOI

That guy's whole channel is pretty good and has me wanting to try a closed terrarium but I've yet to find a suitable vessel.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    I never did!

I'll need to get back to it this spring

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    After looking at my monstera earlier I thought I should check if anything else might need repotting. I'm a bad plant parent

a912xmgs6m3n.jpg

One trip to the garden centre and I have repotted the monstera, that spider plant, and my snake plant.

The monstera probably should have gone into an even bigger pot but hopefully it'll be all right in this one for a bit. It looks weird right now because it's a lot more upright than it was before, it was so top heavy that it was half tipping over in its display pot.

pmmh8k5afkkm.jpg

I gave it a stick because apparently they like sticks? I don't know if I'm supposed to tie it on or it will figure it out itself. I also had to trim its roots pretty hard because they'd grown so far out of its plastic pot. Hopefully it won't die. My friends have this ginormous monstera I'm really jealous of and I want this one to get like that. I wish I had a better space for it, but I only have a north facing window so if it's not right on the sill I think it won't get enough light.

I also bought 3 new tiny things. An ivy, a pothos, and a pepperomia. I recently got a cabinet set up for my tarantulas and I've used grow lights for the lighting so I can put live plants in their tanks when they get bigger. Pothos apparently work really well for T tanks, and ivy is impossible to kill, and the pepperomia I have no idea about but it was so cute I had to buy it.

49wop88epby9.jpg

Apparently I have a bit of a thing for variegated plants.

Brovid Hasselsmof on