Options

It's Party Thyme in the [PLANTS] Thread!

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I planted way too many pumpkin seeds in this pot

Why did I do this

What is wrong with me

Please guard them with your life, gopher friend:

mhmfxbdu8c4h.jpg

iddujfhsh8ci.jpg

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    pumpkin seedling coliseum, only the strong shall root and thrive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxsNnUAyfd4

• Options
    This is how you find the great pumpkin, Charlie Brown.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    I planted way too many pumpkin seeds in this pot

Why did I do this

What is wrong with me

Please guard them with your life, gopher friend:

Tiny gopher friend is about to be drowned in a sea of pumpkin vine.
    Farewell, tiny gopher friend.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    GOURDO WINS

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Gopher friend is ever vigilant

wadtc0pksb0k.jpg

l1p89wxn4tsm.jpg

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    there's a part of the woods near my house that is filled with wild (or possibly just feral) pumpkins because for years, people getting rid of their Halloween pumpkins have been tossing them over the dumpsters into the woods.

the season hits and there are so many fuckin' pumpkins back there.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    so i killed the crispy wave fern months ago, and the calathea is on its way

i used to have a bougainvillea! in college! what happened to my ability with plants?!
    ...that must have been sometime in 2019, yowza.

Anyway, hope springs eternal, who can identify this palm? It's from Ikea, and for some reason, the product name is just Palmmix now, and they don't label the species consistently or at all. I've previously gotten smaller Chaemadora elegans there, but it kinda looks like C. seifrizii.

bmx3ok2z2lhr.jpg

ihfvijflei0k.jpg

I also discovered a Peperomia that was hanging out in the Himalayamix, so, score. And I got a calathea from the grocery store a week or two ago. And today I got my covid booster (bc HEB grocery chain is great), and was eyeing several unconfirmed calathea...

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Things are progressing quicker than expected:

qami6dpv8bkh.jpg

Hold fast, gopher friend

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    That gopher is so fucked in like 2 weeks.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Are you going to let all of them grow? That's going to be a lot. Have you decided to just say goodbye and give yourself unto the pumpkins?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Sort of tangentially plant-related post. Outdoors stuff anyway. We have plans for a couple of ponds (plus ducks!) but they won't be happening for a while so this weekend we're just going to put in a really small one for wildlife in the meantime.

Found this on facebook martketplace really cheap so that's what we're getting. But I'm perplexed about the really shallow flat bits on the edges. Anyone got any ideas what they'd be for? Looks like only an inch or two of water would cover them, if that, because the little cut-outs in the outer edge might make any water on them flow outwards. If they were a little bit deeper I'd think they were to make bog/marsh plant areas but they look too shallow to plant anything in. I've never seen a pond with bits like this.
    3d77h54921g4.jpg

• Options
    Are you going to let all of them grow? That's going to be a lot. Have you decided to just say goodbye and give yourself unto the pumpkins?

I haven't really considered that I have any choice at this point. Will nature work itself out and leave me with one dominant plant, will I have 15 pumpkin vines, or will they all die?

I suppose I could try digging some of them out now and planting them elsewhere, but I've never tried that

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Smof this is literally just a guess but maybe trays for like..ornamental rocks? Just to keep them tidy?

Fast edit of no this seems dumb, why would you want to do that without real drainage? just some slimy ol rock bottoms.

QuantumTurk on
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Maybe you're supposed to fold those bits down a bit at like a fairly shallow angle (kept down with rocks/dirt/whatever). 2/3 have a spot along the edge where I could see the intent is for water to come out if that 'flap' bit was angled at like 7 degree slope.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    It appears to be marketed as a "wildlife pond." Bird bathing areas?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pisces-Marovo-Preformed-Wildlife-Liner/dp/B08YFBB9DQ?th=1

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Yes, from what I can gather they are supposed to be 'beach' areas. They slope slightly inwards which I couldn't see from that photo. Apparently you fill them with gravel or something, and birds can bathe there or bees can land to drink.

Anyway I now have the pond in my possession, and I also accidentally bought another pond at the same time, which is a bit bigger and deeper. So I'm pretty excited that with the two together I can make a decent variety of mini pond/wetland habitat. Gonna be doing some digging this weekend.

oy58pf8zazlg.jpg

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    It appears to be marketed as a "wildlife pond." Bird bathing areas?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pisces-Marovo-Preformed-Wildlife-Liner/dp/B08YFBB9DQ?th=1

How did you figure out what it was? I tried earlier and couldn't find it.

• Options
    Google lens actually came through for once in its miserable life!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

I haven't really considered that I have any choice at this point. Will nature work itself out and leave me with one dominant plant, will I have 15 pumpkin vines, or will they all die?

I suppose I could try digging some of them out now and planting them elsewhere, but I've never tried that

If you leave them all to grow in that one container, you'll likely get 15 plants, none of which are strong enough to produce pumpkins

Squashes and Pumpkins need enormous amounts of space (and will take up a lot of nutrients)

I grew two spaghetti squash plants in a 3x1.5m raised bed and they fully occupied it, got about a dozen squashes that weighed about 2kg each, though

• Options
    Drastic measures had to be taken

Lives were lost for the greater good (the greater good)

fxbci8dlnsdi.jpg

6bi3ytjm5unw.jpg

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    They died doing what they loved. Growing way faster than is reasonable.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Look at this lovely stranger growing on my fence!
    mjd3v3va1r11.jpg
    Returning from a walk to the grocery, I literally asked it where the hell it came from...

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Oooh a Passion flower! I love those. They’re just the weirdest.

• Options
  • Options
    So I'm prepping my house for sale and kind of want to chuck some quick coverage bedding plants in the raised beds I've been using for veg to make the garden look low maintenance

Ideally I want a combination of cheap, quick to establish, and tolerant of the Scottish climate

Any suggestions? There are planting guides around but they mostly seem to assume South of England temperatures

Maybe some heather intermingled with something?

• Options
    japan wrote: »
    So I'm prepping my house for sale and kind of want to chuck some quick coverage bedding plants in the raised beds I've been using for veg to make the garden look low maintenance

Ideally I want a combination of cheap, quick to establish, and tolerant of the Scottish climate

Any suggestions? There are planting guides around but they mostly seem to assume South of England temperatures

Maybe some heather intermingled with something?

Seems like a thing @Brovid Hasselsmof would be able to throw some professional knowledge down on us.

• Options
    Also I can't recall if I posted about robot garden here or not, but here's robot garden update:
    h9PpmOy.jpg

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Damn, the results on that are way beyond my expectations. When will that be available for regular people?

• Options
    It's a bit spendy but you could certainly purchase it now!
    https://us.ogardensmart.com/

A friend backed their kickstarter and got 2, but ended up needing only one and gave me a pretty sweet deal for the other. I ordered pods from them not too long ago.
    Mechanically it's kinda neat, but I'm not sure it'd be worth getting compared to some of the multi 3-4 shelf kits. The wheel bearings seem a little suspect (and their facebook group a few people have commented on replacing them).
    Everyone that's come over has been very interested in it though, and it's super neat to have. So no big complaints here.

Also I started a pepper plant in their seed pod, transferred it to the Ferris wheel and just moved it outside today. It already had a pepper bulb on it! It's pretty cool

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    But how are the strawberries doing?!?!!

• Options
    OH! Pretty good. I haven't moved them to the wheel bit yet. I was a bit worried, because it took the seeds a while to sprout up, but it's looking pretty great!
    dBi6KWW.jpg

I'm not sure how well they'll do in the wheel. I think I need to rethink how I do things. Like with the basil I might have to prune it more often, since it gets long i'd like it to be more bushy and compact. Also kale is working in there, which seems crazy. I also think I should've pruned some of the lettuce bits. I let like 2-5 per pod, but they're pretty crowded.
    I'm also not sure when I should start the next batch of things to go in. I suppose I'll give it a few more weeks and we'll try and figure it out.

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    They died doing what they loved. Growing way faster than is reasonable.

Thinning seedlings was one of the hardest things to get my head around when I started growing vegetables

Like, if you're a certain type of person you instinctively want to see all of your little plants succeed and recoil at the idea of picking the good ones and pinching out the rest

Getting used to visualising the space they're going to need when fully grown is the thing, I think

• Options
    Sames. I always sow double the amount of seeds than the number of plants I want, to account for seedlings dying. But then if they all live I don't like to kill them. So that is how we ended up with 50 butternut squash (fruit, not plants) last year.

This year I have somehow got even more squash seedlings than last year despite planning to have half as many so woops.

• Options
    Wow page 4 of the forum index

My half hearted gardening attempts this season (we are probably moving, plus, my greenhouse was destroyed in the storms over winter) are limited to some containers of herbs and salad leaves, which I sowed today

Although I did find three celeriac seedlings in the waterlogged seed trays that I piled up when clearing away the wrecked greenhouse. I sowed them last year and they didn't germinate. Clearly what they needed was a winter under a half metre of snow with no protection, so I planted them out in some big pots

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Unintentional meme in the front yard.
    5vulh3rqla7e.png

• Options
    Pumpkins! Pumpkins!

6cbsd5qozaqe.jpg

We've got pumpkins here!

3j3jt7bv2793.jpg

See? Nobody cares.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Pumpkins! Pumpkins!

[img]http s://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/wu/6cbsd5qozaqe.jpg[/img]

We've got pumpkins here!

[img]http s://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/cb/3j3jt7bv2793.jpg[/img]

See? Nobody cares.

But where is tiny gopher friend?

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Pumpkins! Pumpkins!

[img]http s://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/wu/6cbsd5qozaqe.jpg[/img]

We've got pumpkins here!

[img]http s://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/cb/3j3jt7bv2793.jpg[/img]

See? Nobody cares.

But where is tiny gopher friend?

He's still in there... somewhere

I'll try and get him in a photo tomorrow

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Mint condition, beginning of April:
    2u9p5fe3bdy6.png

Mint condition, end of May:
    su4ior1fyxr6.png

At last, I can cook one of my two recipes that calls for a tablespoon of chopped fresh mint!

GDdCWMm.jpg