As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Party Thyme in the [PLANTS] Thread!

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    "The fourth angel sounded his trumpet, and a third of the sun was struck, a third of the moon, and a third of the stars, so that a third of them turned dark. A third of the day was without light, and also a third of the night. As I watched, I heard an eagle that was flying in midair call out in a loud voice: 'Woe!'"

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Don't listen to them, MP. Give that plant a filthy hot smooch.

so on it

• Options
    my lips sort of burn

• Options
    avliftbmoqtx.jpg

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Yeah magnolia bloom really early and before they have leaves.

I don't know what that is but it looks like it wants a smooch

DO NOT smooch it. That looks like Angel Trumpet. And if you eat it, you will have a really bad time.

Pfft I bet that same website says psilocybin and peyote are cool!

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    I have a visitor to the balcony garden. A mantis was hanging out on my habanero yesterday, and overnight it moved to the cayenne next to that. Happy hunting, little buddy.

wyijgptfc04r.jpg
    lz8f29g89sab.jpg

Tynnan on
  • Options
    Magic Pink, I'm making you a cookie jar that says deadly nightshade on it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZErtwynT0g

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Magic Pink, I'm making you a cookie jar that says deadly nightshade on it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZErtwynT0g

om nom nom

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    looka this proud man acting like he own the joint
    pwkmv8oa1u03.jpg

i didn't have it in the picture but this dood was bigger then my outstretched hand

him LARGE, him EXTRA

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    tagmiv5rctxz.jpg

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    looka this proud man acting like he own the joint
    pwkmv8oa1u03.jpg

i didn't have it in the picture but this dood was bigger then my outstretched hand

him LARGE, him EXTRA

You know what you have to do.

• Options
    there's no goombas around tho

• Options
    Does anyone get really nervous when repotting a plant? I repotted a spider plant from a pot that didn't have a drainage hole to one that does and I felt like I was mangling it.

But I know it's gonna be so much happier in its new pot.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Does anyone get really nervous when repotting a plant? I repotted a spider plant from a pot that didn't have a drainage hole to one that does and I felt like I was mangling it.

But I know it's gonna be so much happier in its new pot.

constantly, i just imagine the poor thing screaming in it's silent plant language and all the other plants in earshot thinking "wow look at that asshole"

Magic Pink on
  • Options

The Goombas come after you eat the Mushroom.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

The Goombas come after you eat the Mushroom.

They wait for you? That's so nice. Goomba himbos. Gimbos.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Question, are there any plants or trees that would work with this light level? It's pretty close to this light from morning to afternoon. Given the space, I was hoping maybe arrow bamboo would work? We have 2 cats, which sadly removes a ton of indoor house plants from the list.

6xmdhgl3442u.jpeg

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Question, are there any plants or trees that would work with this light level? It's pretty close to this light from morning to afternoon. Given the space, I was hoping maybe arrow bamboo would work? We have 2 cats, which sadly removes a ton of indoor house plants from the list.

6xmdhgl3442u.jpeg

A ZZ would be very happy there. Or a snake plant.

• Options
    Christmas cactus? Hasta?

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Money plant would also work, and I believe those are cat safe

• Options
    I've got a spiderplant I let the kitty nibble on in the hopes that she'll leave my friggin Monstera alone.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    My cat has only ever eaten the cat-safe plants. Specifically, the ponytail palm that I got specifcally because it was cat safe. So much chewing on that. Never even bothers the multiple pothos I have. Cats.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    For my two, the more grasslike the plant, the more likely a cat is to nibble. Anything frondlike, whether that's blades or tiny leaves, those see abuse first.

So the parlor palm & Boston Fern got munched. Less interest in the majesty palm, but the calathea silver oddly sees the occasional attempt. The latter two might be proximity more than form, though.
    Christmas cactus? Hasta?
    Schlumbergera cacti are fine for cats ...(well, nontoxic ie not destroying organs, not fine.)

Most 'nontoxic' plants, they eat some subjective amount, they're experiencing nausea, vomiting, and or diarrhea, and they eat way too much, potentially intestinal blockages or organ damage. Including spider plants (Chlorophytum comosum), which additionally cause hallucination.

So it mostly comes down to what's gonna be ignored by your cats, what's physically appealing in the moment.

Houseplants known as 'money plant':
    • Pilea peperomioides (like most pilea) are considered nontoxic.
    • Peperomia polybotrya (like most peperomia) are considered nontoxic.
    • Pachira aquatica is considered nontoxic.
    • ​Crassula ovata (aka jade plant, rubber plant) are toxic to cats, signs of which include "vomiting, lethargy, decreased appetite, and an uncoordinated gait (stumbling)." Kinda hard to verify the mechanism of toxicity, but seems like one might be cardiotoxic bufadienolides as in other Crassulacae.
    • Epipremnum aureum (aka pothos, Devil's ivy) are toxic due to insoluble calcium oxalate crystals. Fascinating.

ZZ plants and other Aracae (along with families Dieffenbachia & Philodendron, & other plants) also have insoluble calcium oxalate crystals.

Hosta and snake plant (Sansevieria) have saponins.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah that matches with most of my research. Really Palm's and Cast Iron Plants are the only "large" indoor shade/indirect plants that are cat friendly. After that it's a degree of toxic. Also some depends on things like size and height. We have a fiddle fig tree that the cat's don't care about as the leaves are way too big for them to chew and it's 7 feet high, so they can't really get to them anyways. I'm 99% sure that our cats would lose it around palms though, just as yours do.

I'm going to see if I can find some bamboo locally. That window gets pretty steady light all day, it's just not direct. Also bamboo seems to be fine around cats.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Fucking squirrel ate my pumpkin

baaljh3gkr4i.jpg

I hope you liked it, you prick squirrel

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Wtf was the gopher doing?

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Wtf was the gopher doing?

Sleeping on the job

To be fair, he's on the night shift

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Well... maybe I needed a fresh start, anyway.
    90mrs10a5stt.jpg
    (This is me attempting triage. Two blue squares are outdoor residents and seem to be thriving, despite being "lightly watered" after rain. Seven red squares are normally indoors and have been waterlogged to varying degrees.)
    Apparently, I should have left written instructions. None of these are so rare as to be irreplaceable, and I recognize he was trying to be a good caretaker, thus I think I've been chill about it. But I do have the tiniest bit of pique because he doesn't want to believe he's on the spectrum, and it's stuff like this that adds up for me. Long-term relationship complaints! (I thought I gave clear instructions, ie water nothing but xy&z, after checking the soil dryness. And then when he emailed, mentioning he watered them, "Don't water. Less is more." (The gist; I wasn't this terse.) The palm's soil is covered in what seems to be mold, and somehow the plastic pot with a sealed drip tray leaked water through the seams -- just glad I had a decorative bowl underneath it, but that, too, had mold floating on the inch of water.) Homie!

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Was pretty surprised to find this today

9yb6kkk9vkpp.jpg

This yucca was an offshoot taken from the one in my grandparents garden in 2019. It was in a pot until early last year when I planted it here and this is the first time it's flowered. The parent plant took 20 years to flower for the first time so I was not expecting this.

• Options
    Can you eat yarrow? I have a big one in my backyard

• Options
    It's medicinal, which probably means it doesn't taste great and might be bad for you in large quantities. Report back!

• Options
    It's medicinal, which probably means it doesn't taste great and might be bad for you in large quantities. Report back!

you're seriously trying to kill me i see that now

note to myself: burn all packages from smof they are full of spiders

• Options
    That's outrageous libel! Some of them might be toxic plants.

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    I witnessed a squirrel take an unripe tomato from one of my tomato plants and run away with it.

this is war!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    3da6f00x0ifw.png

*bonk*

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Yuccas are not very subtle plants

oxeoxklizda8.jpg

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Yuccas are not very subtle plants

oxeoxklizda8.jpg

With a name like "Yucca" subtlety was never an option.

• Options
    Any thoughts on indoor grow lights? I'm afraid my bamboo may not be getting enough light. I was hoping to find something with a narrow beam that I could put at the base to project up.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I have an adjustable LED thingy. It worked out pretty well, I think it has 2 longer tubes and I used it on my succulents last year as the days got super short here.

It was something kinda like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Lights-Spectrum-Indoor-5-Level-Dimmable/dp/B085CDPSMR/ref=sr_1_5?crid=226KILEQXSOUU&keywords=LED+grow+lights&qid=1666039570&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI3LjkxIiwicXNhIjoiNy42NCIsInFzcCI6IjcuMTMifQ==&sprefix=led+grow+lights,aps,310&sr=8-5
    Though I think mine had a more purple light to it.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    I have an adjustable LED thingy. It worked out pretty well, I think it has 2 longer tubes and I used it on my succulents last year as the days got super short here.

It was something kinda like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Lights-Spectrum-Indoor-5-Level-Dimmable/dp/B085CDPSMR/ref=sr_1_5?crid=226KILEQXSOUU&keywords=LED+grow+lights&qid=1666039570&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI3LjkxIiwicXNhIjoiNy42NCIsInFzcCI6IjcuMTMifQ==&sprefix=led+grow+lights,aps,310&sr=8-5
    Though I think mine had a more purple light to it.
    Random heads up on those: I've been through a few similar ones (white LEDs). The AC-to-USB adapter that comes with most of them wasn't rated for the amount of current the lights drew at the highest setting. Sometimes caused the LEDs to burn out. A combination of better adaptor and the lights seemed to work ok.
    Also got spam for quite a while after; they're one of the "free product for a five star review" sellers.

Sorry I don't have any better advice. I ended up switching to a combination of hydroponic kits and making my own LED strips.