As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Party Thyme in the [PLANTS] Thread!

1242526272830»

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I was hoping for something like this. But finding the combo of small spotlight with grow light seems to be tough.

z16dyoxvz6kw.png

This is pretty close: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Portfolio-1700-Lumen-150-Watt-Green-Line-Voltage-Plug-in-Halogen-Flood-Light/999971206 If I can find one of the GE PAR38 grow lights in stock. However ideally I was hoping for something a bit more focused and smaller. The PAR38 bulbs look huge.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    Damn squirrel (spotted, but possibly also other critters) has been snacking on or just otherwise vandalizing my plants! Which sucks, because they'd really improved outdoors, and the peperomia at least might be a goner. >:(

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I feel your pain, pooka

bztdx5yg9mhh.jpg

My roses :'(

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The deer has gorged itself on all our windfall pears and given itself the shits. Haha, how do you like karma, deer?

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    The deer has gorged itself on all our windfall pears and given itself the shits. Haha, how do you like karma, deer?

on the other hand it is presumably having those shits in your garden so who is the real winner here

• Options
    Free fertiliser!

• Options
    Uh oh. Reinforcements.

sv8zvdiqh8d2.jpg

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    Damn squirrel (spotted, but possibly also other critters) has been snacking on or just otherwise vandalizing my plants! Which sucks, because they'd really improved outdoors, and the peperomia at least might be a goner. >:(

My cherry tomatoes thrived this year, and squirrels (and/or raccoons?) ate all but 2 of them before they were ripe enough to pick :angry:

• Options
    Harvested the last potatoes today and got a new personal record
    six7qmooyfd8.jpg

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

For a second i thought that said korma and i was like why are you feeding deer meat?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Dang, that'll make one monster mash.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    abhruykicodu.jpeg
    Behold! My new green bathroom

• Options
    I didn't update about my monstera. It was way happier in its new pot...for a time. Then I was right back with the yellowing leaves and sad plant. So I just repotted it again. Please s t o p g r o w i n g 🙏

• Options
    xqmevfuw10w8.jpeg

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »
    I didn't update about my monstera. It was way happier in its new pot...for a time. Then I was right back with the yellowing leaves and sad plant. So I just repotted it again. Please s t o p g r o w i n g 🙏

Your Monstera: LOL. LMAO. NO.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    That is every monstera's response to that.

• Options
    It's about to get the Gordian knot solution if it keeps at it.

• Options
    My monstera also continues to grow but at the same time constantly looks like it's dying. I don't know what it wants from me.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    39li6jqq60cx.jpg
    I had no idea this little one had grown so much; that's a whole stack of footlong fronds!

I'm also aggressively fighting spider mites on this palm with an alcohol solution, and eyeing some calathea that are looking bad...

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Appreciate this is the most asexual thing said in the history of our species, but there is nothing more satisfying in life than freshly mulched garden beds.

euyzqjpxdxfh.jpg

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Appreciate this is the most asexual thing said in the history of our species, but there is nothing more satisfying in life than freshly mulched garden beds.

euyzqjpxdxfh.jpg

I bet that smells amazing.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    You don’t even gotta be ace to get intense satisfaction from freshly mulched garden beds. That’s just niiiiiiiice.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    webguy20 wrote: »

euyzqjpxdxfh.jpg

I bet that smells amazing.

Eh I don't know, that greenhousepolytunnel is all soiled

Tynnan on
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    It's all homemade compost, too. I harvested our first pile, which I originally built in 2020. I'm so proud. This must be how it feels when your child graduates from uni.

9yij1u1zvcrp.jpg

Don't actually have much growing yet. I've been really slow starting things this year because it felt like winter came back about 5 times. Got a few seedlings at the garden centre last week - aubergines, cucumber, chilies and leeks. And I've sown some tomatoes, melons, squash and peppers but they're taking ages to sprout. And I haven't even sown any brassicas or onions yet. I should do that today.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    omxf35tvgkzo.jpg

Look at my sweet boi

• Options
    I bought my mum this tree peony for mother's day '21 and it's just flowered for the first time

dysbey542fks.jpg

That is a ridiculous sized flower for that sized plant. You look fake, plant.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Awwwww shit

Get hype y'all

CACTUS WATCH 2023

l67o0m634tdc.jpg

These little fuzzy things usually mean flowers are going to pop out eventually

aw8m2h4vuokc.jpg

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Balcony tomato!

q3sf3wmz6vvx.jpg

• Options
    This ain't my first rodeo, pal, that's a daggun cat.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    our raspberries and strawberries are taking over the garden and feeding the tiny family of mice that live under the lilac bush very well and they are fucking adorable

also the yarrow is happy as hell again and flippin huge

also also we had beetle larva this year so no grass grew at all until late june and we decided just no mowing this year because so many other plants moved in so now i have a prairie back yard and we're counting how many weird flowers we get

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    This ain't my first rodeo, pal, that's a daggun cat.

It would have been so funny if I had named her Tomato, just to set you up for a joke

• Options
    db4benl7h6qn.jpg

I done growed some pumpkins for Halloween

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    So I figured with my health getting better and I like gardening. Along with needing something to do to make the job search less soul crashing and it gets me some exercise. Not to mention, it's something I can do to give back to my parents, who have been supporting me and maybe get the loan I owe them knocked down some. So I figured I'd try to rehabilitate their yard and gardens to the best of my ability.

Currently, I'm taking advantage of the weather to go through and cut down a bunch of the saplings that have been encroaching on everything because my old man does jack shit and my mother has been swamping taking care of the house and all the administrative work. She has a bit of extra workload because one of my younger siblings has a disability that prevents them from being independent. Kind of annoyed with the old man because about 16 years ago, I had the wood line and gardens pretty well managed. If it was within 10-15 feet of the yard, I had it branches trimmed about 8 feet up and was starting the of thinning that zone so that the tree had good spacing and I would have healthier stronger trees that would be less prone to falling over in certain weather conditions.

Given that my folks are considering moving, sadly to a red state that is not going to serve them or my little sibling that well. I'm not sure I want to try to make another serious attempt at getting the tree line under control. I'll probably do some because the 8 foot clearance is necessary to be able to keep the yard clear and might help to ensure that the ticks are less of an issue. Granted, they might not. There is also the issue where I know my old man will likely do jack shit and I'm not sure I"m going to be able to convince my mother that when I hopefully get another job and move again, they'll want some sort of contractor coming out enough to keep things orderly.

Anyways, my primary goal this year is to get their front rock garden looking nice again, likely the easiest thing on my project list, next to maintaining all the planters on the deck. Not sure I need to do much with adding new plants to the rock garden, might take some cuttings of the pinks in the planters on the deck to fill things out. Main issue is just cleaning it, removing some or all the hostas that came up in it on their own volition. Then see if I can make all the stuff there happy again (not sure if it's a lack of nutrients or the fact that there are leaves over everything or both). Get a garden over their well, that we just call the the well garden, populated with low maintenance plants that are good at keep all the pollinators happy. Got some stuff there already and some of it is stuff that looks good for what I want to do with that garden. Currently have some goldenrod, some day lilies, liatris and columbine. Also think there might be some milkweed, which I'll want more of. Probably throw transplanted hostas, which are all solid green with gorgeous purple flowers, and maybe get some new variegated ones for the more shaded part of the well garden. Finally, fill the the sunnier side of it with bee balm, black-eyed susans, coneflowers, ironweed and various other plants that pollinators like. Then hope I don't need to evacuate the remaining crocus and daffodils from it. I will feel sorry for the delivery people that have to drive around it if they have a phobia of flying insects, should I be successful with my goal.

Finally, clean up the vegetable garden so that it's accessible. Also get access back to the blueberry and "thornless" raspberry plants they have. I know the raspberries are still fine, less sure about the blueberries. Last year I wanted to grow some fruits and vegetables, but the garden was inaccessible and had a shit ton of ticks in last year. So had to settle for growing basil, hot peppers and parsley on the deck. This year, I want to grow so much more and actually get to eat some of the berries before the birds devour them all. Might have to convince the parents to invest in some bird feeders so that the birds don't have as much room for berries though.

I'm trying not to overwhelm myself because I know how easy it is for the god damn weather to make it impossible to do anything and depending on how bad ticks are, I'm probably going to lose some motivation (though my mother has been investing in those little tubes that rodents like to pick up, that have a chemical that kills ticks and she is moving to doing a fall and spring application of them. So that might help. That said, I do have a few other projects on the back burner if things go well and I have time to work on a few other things. They have some other gardens along the house and peony bed, granted the peony bed is probably easy enough to work in, just cut down a bunch of damn saplings, which I'm already doing, add some fertilizer, get some trees under control and maybe add some new plants if needed.

• Options
    edited March 27
    Had my first attempt at forcing rhubarb (growing it in the dark) this year.

6nc46vqqbrdy.jpg

Just behind it is a regularly-grown rhubarb, for anyone not familiar with how they look. And out of view behind that are 2 more. We have way too much rhubarb.

Brovid Hasselsmof on