Options

It's Party Thyme in the [PLANTS] Thread!

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    crepe myrtles are a majestic plant

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Two of our indoor plants always develope alot of mold on the soil. I'm not sure why only those two and if there is a lasting solution for this?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    my grandma has a potted jade plant that she's had for like 50 years now and it's huge. the main stem (trunk, really) is like as thick as my arm

• Options
    THE OMEGA GNOMETHE OMEGA GNOME Registered User new member
    I have a Christmas Cactus grown from a cutting taken from my grandmother's plant, which was in turn grown from a cutting taken from HER mother's plant. It's a pretty cool living heirloom, and fairly hardy. Plus, if you accidentally forget to water them they usually just end up blooming.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Two of our indoor plants always develope alot of mold on the soil. I'm not sure why only those two and if there is a lasting solution for this?

I had this issue for awhile on a few plants. It's happening because the soil is retaining more moisture than is being used by the plant (or evaporated), so it stays damp for too long. My fix was to repot these plants in a faster-draining soil mixture (i.e. using a mix of "cactus potting mix" which is faster-draining and has larger pieces than other mixes, then mixing that with some pebbles (purchased at Home Depot or even using aquarium pebbles from a pet store) and more perlite). Now the problem is completely fixed for me! No more mold on my plant soils. :)

If you're nervous about repotting any of these plants, try instead just removing the top inch or two of soil and replace that with a faster-drying mix. The only risk you run here is that the plant may appear to need watering since the top inch or two will feel dry, but the soil below that and around the roots might actually be damp. I opted to replace as much soil as possible in the pots so it was more or less the same mixture throughout the whole thing, so I wouldn't have to worry about different levels of water retention within different areas of the pot.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

I had this issue for awhile on a few plants. It's happening because the soil is retaining more moisture than is being used by the plant (or evaporated), so it stays damp for too long. My fix was to repot these plants in a faster-draining soil mixture (i.e. using a mix of "cactus potting mix" which is faster-draining and has larger pieces than other mixes, then mixing that with some pebbles (purchased at Home Depot or even using aquarium pebbles from a pet store) and more perlite). Now the problem is completely fixed for me! No more mold on my plant soils. :)

If you're nervous about repotting any of these plants, try instead just removing the top inch or two of soil and replace that with a faster-drying mix. The only risk you run here is that the plant may appear to need watering since the top inch or two will feel dry, but the soil below that and around the roots might actually be damp. I opted to replace as much soil as possible in the pots so it was more or less the same mixture throughout the whole thing, so I wouldn't have to worry about different levels of water retention within different areas of the pot.

Thank you very much. I'll try to find some other soil mix.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I need an idiot guide to pots and soil and gravel. I mainly for regrowing veggies and herbs

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    The kid walks back and forth on the deck

"Mommy look, strawberries! Look, peaches! Look, strawberries!"

And then she grabs her pink elephant watering can, and gives them more water.

"This is lettuce!"

Look, strawberries!

• Options
    i potted some succulent offshoots from our backyard in a gorgonzola dip pot for a work recycled / second-hand secret santa thing

it's so cute maybe i'll just buy the person wine and keep it

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Got some succulents for the side of our house, in our rock garden. Hope they do ok.

My house is also surrounded by alyssum now and I love it. It smells like cream soda.

• Options
    Peas wrote: »
    shramps

This sounds weird but I also really want to try them

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
  • Options

Gorgeous!

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    https://youtu.be/hmI-rJuYAjw

Don't fuck plants folks
    Also I wonder how the flowers even figure out what bugs even look like
    The more things I see from evolution the more bewildered I get about it

Peas on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    My mealybug infestation on my pothos plants is not gone, although it's moderately better I guess. I'm going to give them a solid two months of weekly treatments and see how things improve. But hand-cleaning each leaf and then spraying them is... Very time-consuming, I don't think I have it in me to do it forever.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Okay guys, this Friday is supposed to be the last freeze of the season, so I'm going to plant my basil on Saturday. The biggest roadblock I've come into is hardware stores don't carry SOIL. They carry plant food and mulch and fertilizer but not the basic fucking dirt I need to put my plants in. We have sand and rocks down here, so I can't use what's in my yard. How does a guy get some soil?

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    no local nurseries, greenhouses, plant suppliers/rentals, or office plant services? .... consider hydroponics?

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    There's a botanical garden nearby, maybe I can trouble them for a quart of soil!

• Options
    edited February 2019
    My mealybug infestation on my pothos plants is not gone, although it's moderately better I guess. I'm going to give them a solid two months of weekly treatments and see how things improve. But hand-cleaning each leaf and then spraying them is... Very time-consuming, I don't think I have it in me to do it forever.

I cleaned what I believe are the last of some spider mites off of my small ivy plant, using a combination of physical (washing them off with a strong stream of water) and chemical (neem oil spray) solutions. I believe neem also works on mealy bugs. There are neem sprays on the market, but I opted to mix my own using some cold-pressed pure neem oil, water, dish soap, and a touch of castile soap.

Spider mites are supposed to be some of the hardest pests to get rid of, so I'm shocked that I actually managed to completely rid the plant of them (knock on wood). Maybe you'd have similar success! I believe with neem, it does work best if you give treatments every week for awhile...but yeah, sometimes the bugs win :C

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So my routine has been:

1. Use a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol to kill visible bugs (they die upon contact with rubbing alcohol, apparently)
    2. Wipe leaves and stems with a mix of dish soap and water
    3. Spray entire plant with a mix of neem oil and water and dish soap

These fuckers won't go away (although the numbers are down). I think they may have eggs in the soil but I'm worried that if I try to repot them I'll kill my plants.

E: I started treatment in Januaryish but have left town several times, which I'm sure hasn't helped. The Internet (Knower of Things) suggests that it can, like you said, take some weeks to be fully effective. So here's hoping.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Oof. :|

Well, if it's any consolation...I had the same fears with repotting, but I have yet to kill any due to repotting! If you were dealing with a very very fickle plant then maybe, but knowing how hardy pothos are, I'd say it wouldn't hurt to try, at this stage.

• Options
    Related question: in my reading I found at least one site that recommended repotting by throwing out the existing soil, and soaking the plant roots in warm-enough-to-kill-buggies water for a while before repotting with new soil mixed with diatomaceous earth. 1) do you reckon this idea is absolutely insane and 2) do you think the warm water will actually just murder the fuck out of my plants?

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Mixing with diatomaceous earth MIGHT do something, but the entire mechanism of diatomaceous earth is that it dehydrates bugs, and I'm not sure how it would work in a damp soil. Also, any water hot enough to kill bugs would also be hot enough to hurt yourself and cook a plant, so yeah. Unless mealy bugs are super delicate and die in bathwater, seems like bunk to me.

• Options
    They are stupid delicate (rubbing alcohol turns them into brown smudges on contact) but thank you for confirming my suspicion that that advice was not great.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    I'm glad the rubbing alcohol works, at least!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Okay guys, this Friday is supposed to be the last freeze of the season, so I'm going to plant my basil on Saturday. The biggest roadblock I've come into is hardware stores don't carry SOIL. They carry plant food and mulch and fertilizer but not the basic fucking dirt I need to put my plants in. We have sand and rocks down here, so I can't use what's in my yard. How does a guy get some soil?

Potting mix is fine if you can afford, otherwise there should be a landscaping supply place that will sell you clean topsoil by the bucket (excavator, not 5 gallon) load. Do you have a trailer?

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I discovered that I've been under watering my baby peach trees while they've been indoors this winter and it made me sad. Several of last year's new growth branches have dried up 😣

They're getting repotted soon though into 8 inch pots. Maybe one day I'll have a house and yard for them...

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Do you have a Lowe's or Home Depot nearby? They both sell topsoil in 40 pound bags for like two bucks, as well as big bags of premixed Miracle Gro-type garden soil. Check the outside wall of the garden center, next to the compost and peat moss.

0z8jgt2slg2h.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Related question: in my reading I found at least one site that recommended repotting by throwing out the existing soil, and soaking the plant roots in warm-enough-to-kill-buggies water for a while before repotting with new soil mixed with diatomaceous earth. 1) do you reckon this idea is absolutely insane and 2) do you think the warm water will actually just murder the fuck out of my plants?

I don't know about diatomaceous earth in the soil, but pothos vines can survive in just water indefinitely It will grow very slowly, but I have two cuttings that have been behind my TV for 2 years at least in just water. You could likely take some of the longer tendrils, cut them and rinse them in the shower, and propagate them in some vases.

They should absolutely survive repotting. The alcohol is probably just rubbing particularly harsh?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Huh I guess DE has some ancillary benefits in potting soil other than just insect control. Neat.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    My succulents are all having babies!

Baby succulents https://imgur.com/a/jglGcOF

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

Do you have a Lowe's or Home Depot nearby? They both sell topsoil in 40 pound bags for like two bucks, as well as big bags of premixed Miracle Gro-type garden soil. Check the outside wall of the garden center, next to the compost and peat moss.

0z8jgt2slg2h.png

My local Lowe's did not have that. I asked if they had soil and the guy just waved his hand in the general direction of Miracle Gro stuff. What I ended up buying is a bag of peat mulch, which I have been told is fine but I still want to mix it like 50/50 with actual soil.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    That's pretty bonkers. If it's your only option, the Miracle Gro stuff is good topsoil premixed with fertilizer, so if you've got a bad foundation it should do the job. There should also be a generic version of Miracle Gro called Sta-Green that's exactly as good if you buy the garden version.

Although if you already have the peat, you can mix your existing sand and rocks with that and a bag of either manure or mushroom compost and you've pretty much whipped up a batch of topsoil from scratch.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    i have four kinds of chilli growing in my backyard - at least - but they're either too big and not spicy, or too small to do much with. so i had a go at cross pollinating them this afternoon:

if i brought the birdseyes down closer i'm sure nature would... uh... find its way. but who has the patience for nature when you can manually manipulate some botanical sex organs instead?

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Looking to begin replacing my lawn with some creeping herbs. gonna get them started in planters this weekend and then plant them in the yard maybe late March/early April. Going to plant Creeping Thyme and Corsican Mint and Irish Moss.

Also the seed seller I bought the seeds from threw in a bag with wildflower seeds for free

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    My office echeveria died.

The other one looks ok, but I brought it home and will try to plant it out with the others in the Rock garden.

So I'm thinking a lucky bamboo will be better for my desk.

• Options
    Goodish news on the mealybug front! The number of mealybugs has seriously gone down on all of the pothos, although they're still not gone completely. Hopefully I won't have to take more serious action.

Also I think Yanny the Japanese laurel might need to be repotted as it's grown very tall, which would leave me with a pretty but empty pot. Seems like a sign that I should get another plant!

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Goodish news on the mealybug front! The number of mealybugs has seriously gone down on all of the pothos, although they're still not gone completely. Hopefully I won't have to take more serious action.

Also I think Yanny the Japanese laurel might need to be repotted as it's grown very tall, which would leave me with a pretty but empty pot. Seems like a sign that I should get another plant!

Might I suggest a Robert Plant?