Options

It's Party Thyme in the [PLANTS] Thread!

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I bought 12 new pots in the last week. 5 are for repotting my peaches who I accidentally underwatered this winter. They're in 6" now but I've decided to skip 8" and am moving straight to 10s. I want them to be hearty little trees this time next year!

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Sowed my first seeds of the year today. Purple sprouting broccoli, calabrese, Romanesco cauliflower, tomato, and capsicum. Hopefully they germinate ok, It's still pretty cold here, but I don't care. It's the spring equinox in 2 days, I'm not putting up with this wintery bullshit any more.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I read something yesterday that might've answered a question I've been asking myself (and I seem to remember somebody else in this thread having the same issue?)...a bunch of my plants started to have some issues with the newer, smaller under-leaves. They all started having issues at around the same time, and it was curious because I assumed it was a temperature/watering issue, but nothing had really changed.

Turns out it might be due to over-fertilizing! Which would explain why the plants still seem generally happy and are growing well, yet showing light symptoms of underwatering (brown tips, yellowing lower leaves). Apparently too much fertilizer prevents water uptake.

Going to avoid adding any fertilizer for the next few months and I'll see if that fixes things. Really glad to have a likely reason, though! Google kept giving me standard "it might be a watering issue" answer, but I found no results for the yellowing lower leaves issue until now.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I impulse-bought a cherry tree today

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    my goal for next weekend is constructing a small three compartment compost bin. We have a full garbage can that really needs to be aerated.

I really want to get into vertical gardening this year, but we'll see

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    impulse buying a tree is hilarious to me because, like...

the sudden and rash impulse to buy a thing that will live, maybe, hundreds of years, is such a beautiful human thing to me for some reason and i really like it.

it's like putting a tiny skateboard under a turtle just so they can go fast for a minute.

• Options
    I've been to 3 garden centres in the past 5 days. They are dangerous places, I'm like a kid in a sweet shop, I can't control myself. So far I have got:

A cherry tree
    2 blueberry bushes
    A honeysuckle
    A bunch of sweet peas
    1 chive plant
    2 types of thyme
    3 lupins
    A packet of wildflower seeds
    A load of soil, sand, and grit
    And a pond liner

It has been an expensive week. On the upside my allotment is starting to look pretty good. I might take some pics today if I remember.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I discovered a few weeks ago that you can order trees online and they're fairly inexpensive. It's a very very good thing I don't have a yard.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    I discovered a few weeks ago that you can order trees online and they're fairly inexpensive. It's a very very good thing I don't have a yard.

I found a place that sells my favorite type of apple (pink lady) as a tree and it looks like it can grow where I live.

But it's an internet order.

Also I have to order a secondary cultivar like granny smith to help pollinate it. What a shame that is, two of my favorite apple types.

... I think I shall do it once I get the garage in place.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    My gecko terrarium, grown in for a few weeks! 2 more weeks and it should be ready for an occupant.

• Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    My gecko terrarium, grown in for a few weeks! 2 more weeks and it should be ready for an occupant.

This is looking awesome! Your gecko occupants will be very happy, looks like. :)

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    A couple of weekends ago @Moriveth created a bed along our fence in the back yard. We have a side triangle of yard space that’s mostly just spotty lawn (and our trash cans). This weekend we finally planted wildflower seeds in that bed; we’re hoping it might brighten up that triangle with minimum effort on our part.

I don’t think of myself as being very green-fingered, but right now we have four indoor plants that are thriving: two aloes in the kids’ room (of course they’re exceptionally easy to care for), a couple of trees @Moriveth grew from seed last year, and carrots.

The trees are from a bonsai kit, but I looked up the tree online and it’s suggested that you don’t start trimming the roots until it’s at least two years old. However, right now they do share a pot, so I’m thinking I should try to separate them?

Also the carrots were a kit my mom gave Anya for Christmas; I planted the whole lot in a tiny pot not expecting them to grow, but at least a hundred seedlings popped up. I read carrots are pretty much impossible to transfer, so I dunked the whole pot (it was one of those compostable pots) in a larger pot and thinned out the seedlings, and hopefully one or two at least fight to victory? We shall see!

And tomorrow we are off to the nursery to choose some indoor plants for our living room! They have to be kid and cat friendly, but hopefully we’ll find some to fit our criteria.

• Options
    ...and @Moriveth ‘s mom took me to a nursery that didn’t actually sell indoor plants, haha.

I still bought a fuschia for our back yard and another plant that requires full sun, so might have to go in our front yard.

I’ll probably see what Fred Meyer has in its gardening section for indoor plants, plus pots and stones.

• Options
    @Brovid Hasselsmof did you ever take photos of your allotment? I’d love to see what you did with that shopping list!

This was what I did today:

2019-03-31%2018.35.52.jpg

Planted a fuschia and pruned the hydrangea in the back yard

Hopefully the fuschia gets enough sunlight! It should... but I guess we’ll see.

I also picked up this wallflower winter orchid; it smells very sweet. It requires full sun so I planted it in the sunniest patch of our back yard.

2019-03-31%2018.36.23.jpg

Also, bottom photo shows my houseplants. Two African violets and the trees. I separated the trees; I tried to be as gentle as possible, and I fed them after repotting, so we’ll just have to wait and see...

Anyone know anything about Porcelain Blue Corydalis? I saw some today for cheap, they looked super pretty and apparently they grow well in shade and attract butterflies and hummingbirds. We have a really shady side yard and it sounds perfect...

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about Porcelain Blue Corydalis? I saw some today for cheap, they looked super pretty and apparently they grow well in shade and attract butterflies and hummingbirds. We have a really shady side yard and it sounds perfect...

Oh wow, that's gorgeous! And really unusual! You almost never see flowers that are a true blue like that, usually they're more blue-purple. I know absolutely nothing about this plant in particular but I want you to buy it so I can live vicariously through your purchase.

• Options
    I think I’m going to get a few and plant them in various spots to see how they do!

It sounds almost too good to be true; pretty color, loves shade, attracts butterflies, blooms twice a year... what’s the catch?!

• Options
    edited April 2019
    "Brovid Hasselsmof" did you ever take photos of your allotment? I’d love to see what you did with that shopping list!

Not yet, I totally forgot. Going up there tomorrow so will try to remember then.
    Have this pic of my windowsill instead

8gkontlfg5ts.jpg

Lettuces, chitting potatoes, and a pot of moss I want to put somewhere. Having a wide windowsill is pretty useful.

Today I planted the lupins and herbs and repotted the blueberries. Hoping the lupins don't get munched by slugs but they probably will.

Tomorrow's plan is to plant the last of my potatoes, plant some strawberries, plant some Jerusalem artichokes, and sow some more seeds.

I need to get some aquatic plants too now that I've put in my pond.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Yum, I looove Jerusalem artichokes!

And a pond? That’s awesome!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    @Brovid Hasselsmof did you ever take photos of your allotment? I’d love to see what you did with that shopping list!

snip

I also picked up this wallflower winter orchid; it smells very sweet. It requires full sun so I planted it in the sunniest patch of our back yard.

Also, bottom photo shows my houseplants. Two African violets and the trees. I separated the trees; I tried to be as gentle as possible, and I fed them after repotting, so we’ll just have to wait and see...

Those are some impressively happy African violets. I remember my mom, who has a formidably green thumb, having no end of trouble with those things when I was a kid. There was this special plant food she had to apply with an eyedropper and everything.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Yum, I looove Jerusalem artichokes!

And a pond? That’s awesome!

It's only tiny, but I'm hoping it will attract a frog or 2 which will then eat my slugs. Plus I will put some plants in there for dragonflies and things.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    You want a frog I can mail you a frog.

Also while I'm on my road trip I'm 90% sure my basil and cilantro will die because I am trusting their daily watering to a person who cannot even keep a cactus alive in a desert.

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

snip

Those are some impressively happy African violets. I remember my mom, who has a formidably green thumb, having no end of trouble with those things when I was a kid. There was this special plant food she had to apply with an eyedropper and everything.

I would love to claim credit but I only just bought them >.> my brother did point me to a podcast on African violet care, though

My mom always overwatered hers and they looked very unhappy.

Also why are so many pretty plants poisonous to cats?! Sigh. I keep seeing so many that I would love to buy for our living room but I google the names and they’re all ‘one bite of this is deadly to cats!’

• Options
    Went to the allotment today but didn't take any pics because it was cold and kept hailing so I was just trying to get things done and forgot again. Planted the artichokes and started preparing a bed for carrots. Tomorrow I'll put my strawberries in.

Ordered some plants for the pond. Maybe I'll wait to take photos until they arrive.

• Options
    @Moriveth bought four of the Corydalis for us to plant in various areas to test.

The first place I am thinking of is by the front door; would make a nice splash of color:

2019-04-02%2014.05.13.jpg

And I think I may plant one here; I am thinking of removing the middle bush if possible:

2019-04-02%2014.06.02.jpg

One by the back yard fence? I actually think I should have planted the fuschia next to the hydrangea instead because it needs more sun...

2019-04-02%2014.08.53.jpg

And finally, one somewhere in the side yard? The disturbed soil on the left is where we threw a bunch of wildflower seeds:

2019-04-02%2014.10.47.jpg

• Options
    Went up t'farm today and finally remembered to take some pics, so incoming photo dump, which hopefully I haven't messed up cos I'm on my phone.
    View from the front of the plot. Those 4.5 beds are currently empty. I still need to finish off making the last one with the bags of manure by the potted tree.

In the middle you can see the greenhouse @Nogs gave me for Secret Satan's, which has been awesome. Thanks Nogs :biggrin:

e06vi5xxlg2p.jpg

The perennial bed at the front. I can't take credit for the tulips because they were planted by the previous tenant but they are amazing.

Bottom of the photo are 2 varieties of lavender. Above that in the darker soil are the 3 lupins. Between those and the blue pallet are 2 varieties of thyme and some chives. Between the pallet and the tulips I planted 4 Jerusalem artichokes, and behind the pallet is my baby cherry tree. The bushy thing to the right of the lupins is an unidentified weed, I just thought I'd leave it to see what it is.

Will probably still add more to this bed. Maybe some early and late season flowers, for the bees.

rbjnyuk7lmla.jpg

View from the other end of the plot. Closest beds which just look like mud are potatoes. Behind them are 2 beds of field beans which I've just been growing as cover crops over winter.

2xb1x8dje5d3.jpg

Daffodils and some sad looking sweet peas. Come on little dudes, you can do it.

qqh8p64bbih8.jpg

Random rhubarb number 1

nbvot98segwr.jpg

Random rhubarb number 2

9n7t7dd1enq1.jpg

Pot full of cornflowers which I stole from someone's garden where they had self-seeded like crazy. Sack contains more potatoes, which I found in the ground when planting my own.

u4bpswm0kxs4.jpg

Onion bed. Half are red, half are brown.

bnf6c0htwnd1.jpg

Top half of this bed is garlic. Bottom half is 4 rhubarbs, a raspberry, and another fruit cane I can't ID (I inherited all the fruit). Might be a currant, have to wait and see.

5lv3jpjoshsk.jpg

Pots are 2 different blueberries, and between them is the honeysuckle.

uo2vg5b5h0qr.jpg

My super impressive pond. The plants arrived today but they're not much to look at right now. I got a dwarf water lily, an iris, some water plantain, and a bunch of hornwort. Hopefully now they're in the water will get a bit less skanky.

g8ydb7ptfllj.jpg

The seedlings inside my greenhouse. First 6 rows from the left are broccoli and cauliflower. Next row is pepper and then tomatoes. The peppers are being pretty slow to come up because I probably put them in while it was still too cold. The round pots are butternut squash that I planted today.

z87asdxpag76.jpg

And finally, top half of this bed has 3 strawberry plants and another random rhubarb. Bottom left corner I sowed carrots and beetroot today. Spent over an hour sieving about 75 litres of compost so hopefully the carrots will look like carrots and not mutated hands like all my previous attempts.

pfszds3nklts.jpg

Feels like I'm finally getting somewhere. Still need to plant my last batch of potatoes and get rid of a huge pile of trash, but then I'll be all caught up.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    I'm no expert, but those look like many good plants.

• Options
    They're good plants, Koplor.

I should probably be more conscientious about weeding, but, ehhhhhh.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Thats awesome @Brovid Hasselsmof !

Im glad you are able to use and enjoy the greenhouse. Ive never actually seen something like that, so was really curious how you were gonna use it.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Finally got the compost bin done. All the stuff that's been in a trash can for a year looks great!

So many veggies will get planted and et this year!

r7tfm4voeymu.jpg

• Options
    Weeeelllll I asked Mori’s mom to pick up more plants for me and she bought me 11

Plus I already took down one thorny bush and some bedraggled heather (I’m leaving some heather, this particular one was not doing well) and have a few more plants to remove, too...

I have a busy afternoon ahead of me!

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Phew, what a day! I worked a solid 7 hours or so in the yard.

First, my biggest achievement: I created a bed for shade-loving plants. Before and after:

2019-04-07%2019.57.08.jpg

Here’s a close up of it, plus the other bed next to the fence:

2019-04-07%2019.57.25.jpg

Top plants are, left to right: bleeding heart, blue corydalis, redwood sorrel, heuchera mahogany, heuchera sweet tart, redwood sorrel, bleeding heart

Bottom plants are, left to right: a dead tree stump I’ll definitely need help removing, Jacob Clime bee balm, hydrangea, blue corydalis, fuschia

Niko helped me a little and we found treasure!:

2019-04-07%2019.58.02.jpg

We also found a rat skull...

The photo on the right shows the new cinquefoil next to the orchids.

Lastly, this was also tough work. Also it looks like crap right now but I obviously ran out of time:

2019-04-07%2019.58.39.jpg

Left: Before. I removed: Two ferns (those were the heaviest things I moved today!), some scraggly heather, two very spiky nasty bushes that were taller than me and a rotten-looking rhododendron (I think?) that just pulled out of the ground with no effort.

In their place I planted, on the right: Huckleberry (in the back of the photo), and wild ginger in the front.

The thing in the pot is a ninebark which apparently gets huge and needs sun so I am not sure where to put it yet...

Janson on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    W/r/t that tree stump, you can just drill some holes into the stump and poison it, and it will die and then rot in the ground, and after a while you'll just be able to pick up the stump and throw it in the trash. Or you can do what I do and dig it out a bit at a time - chip away until you find a decent-sized root, cut through it with a saw, rinse and repeat as many times as you can be bothered with in a session, then have a congratulatory cuppa and a bickie, and come back to it later.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    We used to get rid of tree stumps by drilling a big hole in the middle and putting explosives in the hole but I'd imagine that's not a Cool Thing To Do within city limits.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I mean it still seems like a cool thing to do but also you're gonna need to hide from the cops

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    my grandpa had a ford f-150, a really nice early 90's model with two gas tanks and all sorts of other special-order type parts (my grandpa worked for the Ford dealership for years so he got good deals) and we were trying to yank some juniper bush stumps out of the front yard. we couldn't really dig them out, because roots go so deep in Wyoming we'd be digging for days, and juniper is tough as coffin nails so there's always the danger it'll just grow back if you don't get it all.

so my grandpa says "well heck, we'll just chain 'er up to the back of my truck and put it into 4 low, yank 'er right out like a carrot." so we do. and the truck goes nowhere. doesn't move an inch besides maybe from the chains going taut. engine's revving, growling up a storm, nothin.

so my dad hooks up his truck, an old custom ford f-100 that my grandpa actually had custom-built back in the day to haul logs (the bed was still like, scalloped from the weight of the logs) that we called Ol' Blue (on account of it was from like the 70's and was blue you see) and that thing yanked them stumps out like it got kicked in the ass. my grandpa was all mad about it "my new truck loosened em up for you! harumph!"

• Options
    Bazzil

• Options
    Been introducing my toddler nephew to plants by helping him grow some sunflowers from seed. One seems to be a bit of an overachiever

q9vhssozjj9e.jpg

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    my grandpa had a ford f-150, a really nice early 90's model with two gas tanks and all sorts of other special-order type parts (my grandpa worked for the Ford dealership for years so he got good deals) and we were trying to yank some juniper bush stumps out of the front yard. we couldn't really dig them out, because roots go so deep in Wyoming we'd be digging for days, and juniper is tough as coffin nails so there's always the danger it'll just grow back if you don't get it all.

so my grandpa says "well heck, we'll just chain 'er up to the back of my truck and put it into 4 low, yank 'er right out like a carrot." so we do. and the truck goes nowhere. doesn't move an inch besides maybe from the chains going taut. engine's revving, growling up a storm, nothin.

so my dad hooks up his truck, an old custom ford f-100 that my grandpa actually had custom-built back in the day to haul logs (the bed was still like, scalloped from the weight of the logs) that we called Ol' Blue (on account of it was from like the 70's and was blue you see) and that thing yanked them stumps out like it got kicked in the ass. my grandpa was all mad about it "my new truck loosened em up for you! harumph!"

I pulled an agave plant out of a client's front yard with my Golf in the same fashion. I got sick of digging out the roots (and it was taking far too long) so I tied the towbar to that bastard plant with my strong rope and gunned it. Popped it straight out of the ground, no mess no fuss.