As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everyone is playing [Hollow Knight]

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    YES

FUCKING YES!!! DLC Spoilers
    Eat it Grimm! You're dead now! How do you like that?? Not very much I'm betting!

Oh man, that took forever, but it is an oddly fun fight, even if I suck at it

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Well, just lost 9000 geo, so now I’m never playing this again in my entire life, a baby game for babies

If you do ever have a high risk corpse that has a bunch of money on it, you can talk to the confessor outside of the starting town, they can help you get it back.

I was really far away from a fast travel point and really close to my Shade

But now I’ll never have that much money again in my life

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Have you tried depositing your cash at the bank??

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    The bank is so out of the way that I never bothered with it

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I like this game a lot but I need to get back to it.

I got frustrated and kind of put it down for awhile.

• Options
    The bank is so out of the way that I never bothered with it

The bank is real easy to get to!

It’s three screens away from the Queen’s Station fast travel point

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Well, just lost 9000 geo, so now I’m never playing this again in my entire life, a baby game for babies

If you do ever have a high risk corpse that has a bunch of money on it, you can talk to the confessor outside of the starting town, they can help you get it back.

I was really far away from a fast travel point and really close to my Shade

But now I’ll never have that much money again in my life

There's a pretty good farming spot in Deepnest that can get you about 600 every two-three minutes or so. I wouldn't worry about geo, you can always get more. I feel you though, I lost 8000 myself

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Deepnest wouldn't be so stressful if it wasn't for the little silverfish dudes who pop out of the ground everywhere, as well as these guys:

B_Stalking_Devout.png

hate 'em so much!

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I didn't look at any guides/maps until I was at around hour 35. Which meant I was occasionally frustrated/lost, but also meant that I got to experience massive moments of discovery on the reg.

That it regularly delivers new things on a timeline that long is nuts in a platformer. I never, ever got to a feeling of, "Alright, I'm just coasting along until the endgame, now." I was always on my toes, and always surprised.

• Options
    mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    Last boss spoilers:
    I'm at the final boss and I'm not sure if I have the energy to push through the first fight over and over to reach it again.
    A shame since I love this game, but I might just have to watch the ending via LP.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    mageormike wrote: »
    Last boss spoilers:
    I'm at the final boss and I'm not sure if I have the energy to push through the first fight over and over to reach it again.
    A shame since I love this game, but I might just have to watch the ending via LP.
    If you have the gear to burst down the first final boss, it doesn't matter how much damage you take as you get healed to full at the start of the second final boss. Unbreakable Strength + Quick Nail + the last nail upgrade can melt Hollow Knight straight down to the point where Hornet will intervene before you lose all your health.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Fuck this Nosk thing. At least the run to it is very quick from a bench.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Among the many ways that Hollow Knight is Dark Souls-y is how I'll declare, "This boss is bullshit, this game can eat my whole entire ass," and then come back the next day and get them on my first try.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular

I think they buffed Nosk in a previous patch because on my very first playthrough he was a breeze, but on one of my recent playthroughs he kicked my ass over and over again

He used to just run back and forth and jump around, and now he's constantly spitting orange shit all over the place

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    HeadCreeps wrote: »

I think they buffed Nosk in a previous patch because on my very first playthrough he was a breeze, but on one of my recent playthroughs he kicked my ass over and over again

He used to just run back and forth and jump around, and now he's constantly spitting orange shit all over the place

They also buffed Traitor Lord a lot too.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    HeadCreeps wrote: »

Yeah I got his ground game down pretty good. When he leaps up to the ceiling and rains down orange is when I get whittled down.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Nosk tip:
    If you snuggle up into the corners toward the elevated part of the room, you can hide there safely and heal unless he's dropping orange ceiling spit

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Nosk tip:
    If you snuggle up into the corners toward the elevated part of the room, you can hide there safely and heal unless he's dropping orange ceiling spit

Tried that.
    He jumps down then runs directly at you. It isn’t as safe anymore and was apparently changed. Currently I hit him once when he runs over top then jump onto the raised middle and try and do a jump down attack as he runs back to the middle then repeat.

Edit: I got him. It was just a matter of getting better at dodging the orange. I also switched to the two things that game me way more souls from, hits and the heal quicker.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    The quick heal charm is an mvp

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    i had a lot of trouble with nosk
    until i finally broke and looked him up. the corner trick totally still works, if you hug the left side of the raised platform. the only thing that will hit you is when he runs to the right side of the room and the rain from the ceiling. both are easy to see coming and dodge, and every time he runs over your head it's free hits

• Options
    Among the many ways that Hollow Knight is Dark Souls-y is how I'll declare, "This boss is bullshit, this game can eat my whole entire ass," and then come back the next day and get them on my first try.

I’ve been doing pretty well on bosses until I had the classic “throw myself at this brick wall for an hour” for Broken Vessel and Hornet 2

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Oh man, Broken Vessel took me aaaaaages. Those stupid dang glob ghosts!

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I’m gonna throw myself at the traitor lord again tonight, I think

• Options

I’ve been doing pretty well on bosses until I had the classic “throw myself at this brick wall for an hour” for Broken Vessel and Hornet 2

Broken Vessel and Traitor Lord were my two hair-pullers. Lord of Souls seemed very difficult at the time, but that's largely because I wasn't very good at the game at that point.

• Options
    Spoilers for the bank
    When the banker fucks off with your money to take a spa day, I laughed so hard. It was the meanest fucking thing I've ever seen a game do, and I thought it was hysterical. I almost wish they didn't let you get it back - I mean, why the fuck was I just giving my money to somebody? That was dumb! I deserved to be punished!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Spoilers for the bank
    When the banker fucks off with your money to take a spa day, I laughed so hard. It was the meanest fucking thing I've ever seen a game do, and I thought it was hysterical. I almost wish they didn't let you get it back - I mean, why the fuck was I just giving my money to somebody? That was dumb! I deserved to be punished!
    I think I gave her a bunch of geo and then proceeded to completely forget she even existed.

Then hours and hours later I ended back up there as I was clearing up loose ends and she's gone and the bank is just a cardboard facade. It was pretty great. I don't even know if I found her in the spa since I didn't look anything up that run.

I did it on my replay though.

• Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Oh man, Broken Vessel took me aaaaaages. Those stupid dang glob ghosts!

I just did this one in only a couple runs. I used,
    The thing that makes the cloud around you that damages enemies. I could basically ignore the ghosts so long as I kept away from them.

• Options
    I’m gonna throw myself at the traitor lord again tonight, I think

I did it! Fuck you, asshole!

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    The Watcher Knights were the ones that have me the most trouble, so much so that I cheated to get past them on PC. All the others, some gave me some problems but nothing approaching those motherfuckers.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Spoilers for what i assume is the secret final area
    I hate

Buzzsaws

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I hate

Buzzsaws

I thought I was done with that place like 4 times, but nope

• Options
    I hate

Buzzsaws

I kinda loved that area, because I am a masochist

That said
    There was a moment where I thought I was through a rough patch, and I was hopping up a presumably safe wall, and some spiked popped out of fucking nowhere and knocked me down so far I lost my checkpoint.

It was so brutal that I had no choice but to respect it.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    that area became way less irritating when I switched to a token loadout that made health irrelevant

• Options
    This got a lot more fun once I realized I can make boss-specific charm loadouts for fights I get stuck on

Baldur’s Shell is a godsend for stuff like Hornet

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I tried fighting the Nightmare Lord twice the other night and just turned the game off

i don't know if i can handle that one

• Options
    oh

so this is why I hear the name "Traitor Lord" a lot

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Okay I'd never actually looked at what the Traitor Lord fight was like post patch and whoa geeze that is a huuuge difference.

Old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f62A5eOtLzI

New.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyve0kZZT3w

• Options
    hey who wants to tell me some charm loadouts that'll help with Traitor Lords

currently I'm rocking Longnail, Quick Focus, Shape of Unn, and Grubsong, which is still sorta difficult

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    hey who wants to tell me some charm loadouts that'll help with Traitor Lords

currently I'm rocking Longnail, Quick Focus, Shape of Unn, and Grubsong, which is still sorta difficult

If I recall correctly, I went with the spore cloud/defender charm combo (creates a big ol' damage field when you heal), Quick Focus, and Grubsung

I tried to leave the ground as little as possible, relying primarily on dashing. Found myself getting fucked up whenever I'd try to go airborne.

• Options
    Play defensively, and I can't recommend the longnail/mark of pride charms enough. They're really, really good