As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    I'm sitting outside the OR for our second, waiting for anasthesiologist to finish before the bring me in. Baby boy inc.
    And we have baby!

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    congrats!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm sitting outside the OR for our second, waiting for anasthesiologist to finish before the bring me in. Baby boy inc.
    And we have baby!

Nice hogan flex their bro, WHO YOU FRONTING?!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Niko does not have a UTI but may have irritated his dingus. I wonder how that happened?!?

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Yay baby! Congratulations!

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Niko does not have a UTI but may have irritated his dingus. I wonder how that happened?!?

How does a three year old, who often has dirty hands, irritate the penis he plays with constantly?!

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

How does a three year old, who often has dirty hands, irritate the penis he plays with constantly?!

As my son says after we catch him doing something:
    "It's a mystery"

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    My niece has picked up an odd behavior lately. She eats 75% of anything given to her for a meal / snack. Yesterday there was 1/4 of a cheese stick left in my room. Right now there's exactly 1/4 of a cookie.

My only guess is that she doesn't like to eat the part that her hand has been holding? Doesn't explain rice or cereal though. I've never seen any kid do this.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ellie will always leave some of her food for later.

Especially her breakfast they we send her to school with. She saves some for the car ride home.

We live two minutes away.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I'm still not clear what is wrong with Burpette. She's not got a temperature despite all of the pre-bed shivers. She woke up every 2-3 hours last night crying but would immediately lie back down when I went into her room (asking questions or trying to qualitatively check her temperature with my hand got some vague grunts and a gesture towards the door).

It's nearly 7am and she's not up which is unheard of.

Not much I can do but wait for her to wake up and see how she feels.

These things do seem to happen more when one of myself and French girl is away

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I'd never really had a problem changing diapers and dealing with the smell, probably because of dealing with aircraft labatories. But the last two days Athena has had diarrhea and it doesn't even smell like poo. It's like a rotting dairy and trash smell that just punches me in the throat.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    So after waking up every few hours in a terrible reminder of what having a newborn was like (I would love another but I just don't think we have a big enough place and I'm scared the sleep deprivation might kill me) Burpette finally got up at half seven, super happy and appearibg entirely not ill.

I suggested she could stay home with daddy today but the expression of disgust told me she was perfectly capable of going to the child minder

We shall see

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Just been informed Kees is having a school lockdown drill tomorrow. Guess that's a thing that happens here now. I mean, at least I live somewhere I can feel a significant degree of confidence that it has no real chance of ever having to be put in to practice, but it's still just...

*sigh*

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    congrats!

Thank you! He's my little champion. Born at 3:30pm(ish), he ate 3x, pooped 3x, and tinkled once by midnight. Overachiever already.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Just been informed Kees is having a school lockdown drill tomorrow. Guess that's a thing that happens here now. I mean, at least I live somewhere I can feel a significant degree of confidence that it has no real chance of ever having to be put in to practice, but it's still just...

*sigh*

Wait, what
    Aren't you NZ there?

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'm such a responsible parent. My son is home from school today so he can wander the post-apocalyptic hills of West Virginia. Originally I was going to let him come home early to play, but then I realized concert tickets I want go on sale right at the time that I was going to get him, so I called him out sick for the whole day instead. I'd feel bad, but one of his cronies is home for the same reason.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean lets be honest, my kid won't eat like a chocolate muffin, do you really think I could get him to swallow aspirin?

I mean, if you rolled it up in a piece of cheese, or put in some peanut butter, sure.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    I mean lets be honest, my kid won't eat like a chocolate muffin, do you really think I could get him to swallow aspirin?

I mean, if you rolled it up in a piece of cheese, or put in some peanut butter, sure.

He eats neither of those things!

I had corgis that we tried that with, they'd literally lick around the peanutbutter and with the cheese they'd eat the cheese and spit it out.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

He eats neither of those things!

I had corgis that we tried that with, they'd literally lick around the peanutbutter and with the cheese they'd eat the cheese and spit it out.

Let your kid know they've got two choices - they can swallow a pill, or they can learn what a suppository is.

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Problems in middle school...

We had a mother call us tonight asserting that our 11yo son called her 11yo daughter ugly and that he didn't want to be her friend, and it hurt her so much she doesn't want to go back to school. This is the first time anyone's ever even accused him of doing something like this, and he swears he doesn't remember saying it.

What is the right move here as a parent? I feel like I should default to believing her and forcing my son to write up an apology and call her up and apologize without excuses. I don't want my son to think we don't trust him, but I do want him to always be considerate of others, and it doesn't hurt anyone for him to call her and apologize and offer encouragement.

Piotyr on
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »

We had a mother call us tonight asserting that our 11yo son called her 11yo daughter ugly and that he didn't want to be her friend, and it hurt her so much she doesn't want to go back to school. This is the first time anyone's ever even accused him of doing something like this, and he swears he doesn't remember saying it.

What is the right move here as a parent? I feel like I should default to believing her and forcing my son to write up an apology and call her up and apologize without excuses. I don't want my son to think we don't trust him, but I do want him to always be considerate of others, and it doesn't hurt anyone for him to call her and apologize and offer encouragement.

Disclaimer : I do not know you or your child, and by extension I do not know how your typical communication goes. That said...

If my kid says “I don’t remember saying that,” as opposed to a straightforward denial, he’s bulshitting and has made the situation far worse for himself by lying.

I’d do a pretty intense interview at this point.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »

Operating on the assumption he did do this

I was about that age when I called a girl a bitch on the bus

My dad drove me to her house and made me apologize to her and her parents

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I was helping the kids out of the car. Lock the doors and turn to see Niko in the middle of the road, chasing after the bouncy ball he’d dropped. Luckily we live on a very quiet road, but still. I shouted, he cried hard (he started crying before I shouted, I think he got scared regardless), we had a long discussion about how he shouldn’t step in the road for any reason and next time Mommy can retrieve the ball. Yikes.

Janson on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Mother-in-law rant time!
    • When she’s says “be over between 10-10:30” she means 10:45
    • When I say “I’ll be over between 9-9:30” she expects 8:45.
    • She keeps her apartment at 64 degrees regardless of season. When we said she’ll need to turn it up when watching the kids, she agreed. Still won’t do it and says it’s not cold...while wearing 3 fucking layers.
    • Concerned that my daughter may not have stylish new clothes for preschool. Preschool! I said it doesn’t matter, but she’s concerned what the teachers will think!
    • Needed to borrow money from us in June to finish purchasing her apartment. This is after already buying two 5+ room houses in the area. "I need 15k to close. Will pay you back in one month after my house sells!" We cave and get her the money. Two weeks later, "The closing costs are higher, do you have more money? Will pay you back right away!" End up loaning her $24k. Finally paid us back last week after we brought it up...almost 6 months later. Her reasoning? Oh, I had the money to pay you back in an investment. If I pulled it out early, I wouldn't have made this extra $160. Which of course she kept.
    • Doesn't listen to or respect our parenting techniques. But this random old Chinese lady she met at the store is an expert on American speech techniques and says our daughter should be in full-time speech classes.
    • Says that Abigail has "motherly instinct" when giving her brother his binky. This means she "will be a good mother to her own children and good wife to her husband." These comments come after we repeatedly remind her not to use gender stereotypes with our kids.

I should stop here for now. Blood pressure rising just thinking about it. Thanks for letting me vent!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Mother-in-law rant time!
    • When she’s says “be over between 10-10:30” she means 10:45
    • When I say “I’ll be over between 9-9:30” she expects 8:45.
    • She keeps her apartment at 64 degrees regardless of season. When we said she’ll need to turn it up when watching the kids, she agreed. Still won’t do it and says it’s not cold...while wearing 3 fucking layers.
    • Concerned that my daughter may not have stylish new clothes for preschool. Preschool! I said it doesn’t matter, but she’s concerned what the teachers will think!
    • Needed to borrow money from us in June to finish purchasing her apartment. This is after already buying two 5+ room houses in the area. "I need 15k to close. Will pay you back in one month after my house sells!" We cave and get her the money. Two weeks later, "The closing costs are higher, do you have more money? Will pay you back right away!" End up loaning her $24k. Finally paid us back last week after we brought it up...almost 6 months later. Her reasoning? Oh, I had the money to pay you back in an investment. If I pulled it out early, I wouldn't have made this extra $160. Which of course she kept.
    • Doesn't listen to or respect our parenting techniques. But this random old Chinese lady she met at the store is an expert on American speech techniques and says our daughter should be in full-time speech classes.
    • Says that Abigail has "motherly instinct" when giving her brother his binky. This means she "will be a good mother to her own children and good wife to her husband." These comments come after we repeatedly remind her not to use gender stereotypes with our kids.

I should stop here for now. Blood pressure rising just thinking about it. Thanks for letting me vent!

Vent anytime! Some of those would soooooo bother me, especially the last.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Let's not forget this timeless, classic gem:

"I saw a women at an semi-truck driving stop. She was very beautiful. I wondered why she drove a big truck for a living? She should be a model or a housewife."
    "So a woman can't be a truck driver?
    "No, they can. But she was too beautiful to be a truck driver. She is wasting her beauty in the truck."
    "That's extremely sexist you know. You shouldn't talk that way, especially around our daughter."
    "Oh Abigail is very beautiful. She will be a doctor or lawyer. But not a truck driver, not my granddaughter."

*Me on the inside screaming*
    40998328.jpg

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Holy hell, a $24k loan!

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    [*] Needed to borrow money from us in June to finish purchasing her apartment. This is after already buying two 5+ room houses in the area. "I need 15k to close. Will pay you back in one month after my house sells!" We cave and get her the money. Two weeks later, "The closing costs are higher, do you have more money? Will pay you back right away!" End up loaning her $24k. Finally paid us back last week after we brought it up...almost 6 months later. Her reasoning? Oh, I had the money to pay you back in an investment. If I pulled it out early, I wouldn't have made this extra $160. Which of course she kept.
    sigh I hear you on this one. My father in law is putting us into such a fucking huge awkward position. We're gonna end up letting him borrow 200k for two years because he owns too much property and doesn't want to sell any of it yet cause it's not worth 'as much' as he thinks it should be and since he has so much going on the bank won't give him a new loan for as good a rate as he thinks he should be able to get. So instead he wants us to give him a huge loan at our loan rate plus a little more (we pay prime + 0.2 so he has offered prime + 0.5). Basically he wants to be able to easily buy new inventory for his ship and wants to save like maybe max 2 grand over the next couple years by going through us instead of a bank.

This is a big hassle, I don't want to deal with it but we're gonna end up doing it cause "what if we need something from him in the future" or some garbage.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Holy hell, a $24k loan!

And she kept the interest!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    'Doesn't listen to or respect our parenting techniques. '

Ugh my parents do this too and it's infuriating. We only see them one week a year and they manage to cram in so many things that I have to 'fix' later that sometimes I swear they have it planned out ahead of time. Mrs Phane actually stayed home from our visit this time because she felt it would be safer rather than lose her cool.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Niko's giant t-rex arrived at my work just now and holy hell this thing is indeed huge.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mom's getting ready for her visit. She comes and stays for three months over summer.

We love having her here. Ellie loves her Gigi (she's starting to play with her Lego as Gigi arriving on the airplane every morning).

Mom doesn't really contradict our parenting, and if she does say something, I can usually get her to understand our position once I can get the words out in the correct order.

But these next few weeks are going to be fraught with me feeling inadequate, a terrible mom, doing it all wrong and being judged.

• Options
    Niko's giant t-rex arrived at my work just now and holy hell this thing is indeed huge.

My son wanted to wear his trex shirt today and I knew why when he got to daycare and started stomping around. Never change little buddy

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    We made it to Florida last Saturday. The trip took from Monday through Saturday, traveling 1800’sh miles. Kate did pretty well for a 3 year old. But there were times when she woke from her nap and was just having a meltdown so it forced a stop. We averaged around 300 to 400 miles a day. Which really sounds low to me,but we made it alive and with a minimal amount of fuss. Since Saturday I’ve been spending time between getting to realize how far my father’s dementia really is, and getting the house ready to be moved in. We have well water here,and for years it has smelled really horribly. A strong sulfur smell that’s a combination of rotten eggs and rotten ???? Anyway, prior to us arriving my mother had a chlorinator installed and now it doesn’t smell at all. Maybe just barely, but that’s probably due to residual water that I couldn’t get flushed out of the hot water tank. ANYWAY, I was hesitant to fully move into the house with the water like that so we’ve been staying with my sister and her family. They are all over the moon with Kate and her 14 year old brother Nick. So nice to have family close by. We’ve repainted our bedroom and unpacked a ton of our boxes, with a metric shit ton left to unpack. Cable is due any time now to show up and provide us with Internet/TV. Kate is thrilled she gets a “ big girl bed” now. She’s being moved from her converted crib/toddler bed to a Queen size Murphy Bed. It has portable rail on one side, so I need to find out where to get a second one. The only problem so far was trying to find Queen size sheets with Kid characters on them. She loves Mickey and nothing seems to come in that size. Speaking of Mickey, I’m taking the whole family to Disney World on December 14th for “Mickey’s Christmas” where you get to meet the characters and carol, etc. Hopefully this will feel like home for the kids soon. The 14 year old is having a hard time unpacking and just sits and stares into space. He’s been out of school 2 weeks now, and will be out another week as their off for Thanksgiving. I’m not sure if anything is really wrong, or he’s just being a moody teenager. But he’ll have a slightly larger room than before, with a desk, dresser and room for some other things. We’re planning on putting cable tv in there for him as well, but he’s not aware of that as far as I know. He lost his cable tv privileges in his room in the last house due to bad grades.

Ok that was a longer ramble then I meant.

tl;dr: We’re here finally and getting settled in.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Took Leah to The Grinch today. Had a good time. Got a good photo on the way out.

kD0GO3O.jpg

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    We went to a family thing tonight. At these the kids tend to disperse downstairs into whatever rec-room exists. I was mid-conversation with a cousin when wailing children start coming upstairs. Blood everywhere. Apparently they were running around in the pitch dark, and one kiddo ran forehead first into another kiddo's mouth. Severely cut up forehead on one, two front teeth knocked out on the other. Cue two emergency visits, one for concussion evaluation, the other to get two adult teeth replaced. They'll be fine, but jeez.

Don't let your kids run around in the pitch black, folks.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Last weekend, a large portion of my Sunday was taken up with making some adjustments to the boys room.
    h8pWPfyl.jpg

There's regular assembling an Ikea bed, then there's assembling a secondhand Ikea bed missing some parts using an incorrect set of instructions that don't match the parts you have when the nearest Ikea store is a 3-hour-flight and a customs-controlled border crossing away.

Still, I feel like it paid off already.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Oh god our son just wanted to go potty in the potty! THIS IS AMAZING!

Ok now he's not leaving the potty and instead is just hanging baby dong, *sigh*

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    And all sound and no fury and some "no I'm not done yet" trolling. But at least he in theory executed the parts to go the bathroom properly he just didn't do that part.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Interest is the first big step! :D

This discussion has been closed.