As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Thank you for all the offers of help!

My coworker was actually advising me today to buy ASAP, since interest rates are set to rise and house prices continue to go up.

A housing bubble is coming again, buy now or wait for new rock bottom in like 5 years.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    Thank you for all the offers of help!

My coworker was actually advising me today to buy ASAP, since interest rates are set to rise and house prices continue to go up.

A housing bubble is coming again, buy now or wait for new rock bottom in like 5 years.

That’s what we’re looking to do, actually!

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    And then, halfway through the list of every single marine creature that she can think of, she pauses and looks me straight in the eyes.

"Mommy! I going to go wee wee in my diaper!" Another brief pause. "Here we go!" Another pause. "All done, mommy!"

The first thing our eldest learned re: potty training was communication. He got that it was important to tell us what was happening.

For months, that meant a three-year-old breathlessly grunting "mommyI'mgoingpottyI'mpushingthepoopout" at the appropriate moment, often in public.

Tuesday night I had:

"Daddy, do I have a book about poo?"

no

"Daddy, do you have a book about poo?"

no

"Daddy, for my birthday..........

can I have a book about poo?"

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    I'm glad to hear others can struggle with accidents, our son has backslid like whoa recently and I'm trying not to be hard on it but he was perfect for like 4 months!

That's the BS I hate on social media; people posting how perfect their little angels are. Kids are amazing, no doubting that. But they are awful as well. I dont know if its because our names and pictures "aren't us" here, but this thread reads more like real parenting to me.

I love reading about everyone's triumphs and tribulations here. It makes me feel like I'm shooting at least par for the parenting course.

Our dinner tonight was spaghetti with non-stop crying from both kids. The wife and I just stared at each other and ate as best we could. I've got hundreds of cute pictures and videos of my kids, but that shit tonight, yeah that's a huge reality that doesn't get posted on Facebook often enough.

Now were all sitting at the computers. I'm venting on the forums, Abigail is watching Blippi draw a tractor, the wife is walking around in WoW, and Luke is breastfeeding.

SCRATCH THAT! As I'm typing this, Abigail slid off my lap and ever so gently bumped her head against the arm of the computer chair causing her to erupt into tears. At what age to the understand they're tired and just go to sleep? :)

I'm going to say never ever. I'm 40, I'm tired, and yet here I am replying rather then sleeping.

FUCK! You're right! :(

You had hope for a minute. Hahahaha!

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    And then, halfway through the list of every single marine creature that she can think of, she pauses and looks me straight in the eyes.

"Mommy! I going to go wee wee in my diaper!" Another brief pause. "Here we go!" Another pause. "All done, mommy!"

The first thing our eldest learned re: potty training was communication. He got that it was important to tell us what was happening.

For months, that meant a three-year-old breathlessly grunting "mommyI'mgoingpottyI'mpushingthepoopout" at the appropriate moment, often in public.

Tuesday night I had:

"Daddy, do I have a book about poo?"

no

"Daddy, do you have a book about poo?"

no

"Daddy, for my birthday..........

can I have a book about poo?"

So, this one, then?

https://www.amazon.com/Everyone-Turtleback-School-Library-Binding/dp/0613685725

:D

• Options
    Be sure whichever book you buy has a page devoted to "leaving people alone when they go poop". My kids have learned not to bother daddy in the bathroom, but that rule apparently only applies to me. Their poor mother can't poo in peace to save her mind. And the little one doesn't think big brother needs a moments peace ever.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Be sure whichever book you buy has a page devoted to "leaving people alone when they go poop". My kids have learned not to bother daddy in the bathroom, but that rule apparently only applies to me. Their poor mother can't poo in peace to save her mind. And the little one doesn't think big brother needs a moments peace ever.

My 7 year old is still learning to close the bathroom door when she goes over to a friend's house to use the bathroom... sigh.

• Options
    El Skid wrote: »

My 7 year old is still learning to close the bathroom door when she goes over to a friend's house to use the bathroom... sigh.

Close the door when you go potty!
    But then you can't see me go potty.
    That's the point!
    But you're proud when I go potty on the toilet.
    Damn, checkmate.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    One year of daycare later and I don't have a baby anymore :cry:

FuQUatgh.jpg

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I recognize that shirt!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    The 2 year old likes to go in the bathroom when someone is pooping and climb into their pants.

To be fair, that shit is hilarious.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    The 2 year old likes to go in the bathroom when someone is pooping and climb into their pants.

To be fair, that shit is hilarious.

Niko did that to me this morning! Get out of my PJs, kid!

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I recognize that shirt!

My 3 year old has it too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Childless night! My folks asked if the kiddos wanted to have a sleepover. I did not consult them for their answer.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I haven't posted any pictures in a while, and my little bugger has gotten fat and happy!

Here he is proud of his July 4th HANDywork:
    zHqEDQgl.jpg

We got photos semi-professionally done. Oliver didn't have time for no fussin' and prancin', he sees Black Gulch Cassidy and his villainous band of cattle russlers off in the distance.
    Z6pwYL4l.jpg

Also, uh, he's sleeping 12 straight hours at night, and has been for about a month now. Don't kill me.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    Also, uh, he's sleeping 12 straight hours at night, and has been for about a month now. Don't kill me.

We won’t kill you, no worries. And we also won’t kill you when he has a sleep regression thing and you post here asking for death either :p

• Options
    Sleep regressions don’t bother you if there was no sleep to begin with!

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    How old is Oliver?

Siglet started sleeping through the night pretty consistently around 6 months? God I don't know it's a blur.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    How old is Oliver?

Siglet started sleeping through the night pretty consistently around 6 months? God I don't know it's a blur.

Jaina did too.

Then came 12 months. And 18. And everything from 2-2.5 years.

I have learned to enjoy naps.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    How old is Oliver?

He's just over 5 months, and it's a little tough to remember, but I'm pretty sure he's been sleeping this well for 4 to 5 weeks now. I might give some of the credit to the merlin magic sleepsuit though.

Also, the recommendation for best bottoms diapers has worked out well so far. We only bought two shells to test it, but zero leaks so far. I think we'll buy another 4 to 6 soon so we can consistently start using them, and hopefully daycare will be fine with them.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    MusicDragonMusicDragon Registered User regular
    I do not care for this whole night terrors thing. My poor baby has been having them for the last several nights and his molars are coming in more so my little angel has turned into a miserably unhappy, sleep deprived, screaming little monster. He is just so miserable and there isn't anything I can do to help him and it sucks.

• Options
    Night terrors suck! I’m sorry.

My nephew is 7, nearly 8 months and wakes every 2-3 hours at night, so maybe my family just breeds poor sleepers!

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    How come no one spontaneously gets "night joy".

Why's it only got to be terror?

• Options
    I do not care for this whole night terrors thing. My poor baby has been having them for the last several nights and his molars are coming in more so my little angel has turned into a miserably unhappy, sleep deprived, screaming little monster. He is just so miserable and there isn't anything I can do to help him and it sucks.

That's what Jack Daniel's is for. I leave it to you to decide who gets to drink it.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    These pics popped up in my Facebook feed as memories from 2-years ago:

9mpra78r9u7u.jpg
    jhwggiddu6ug.jpg

I believe this was the cover art and back art for our album.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Please tell me you named that adorable puppy either Gizmo or Mogwai. It's ok if you lie.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    It's ok if you named your kid Gizmo or Mogwai.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

That usually coincides with puberty.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

And they don’t wake mom and dad up when it happens.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

And they don’t wake mom and dad up when it happens.
    Now that I think of it, both of my boys would occasionally wake up laughing in the middle of the night.

• Options

9mpra78r9u7u.jpg
    jhwggiddu6ug.jpg

Please tell me you named that adorable puppy either Gizmo or Mogwai. It's ok if you lie.

No, we went with Daisy. Wanted to give her baths, take her out in the sun, and feed her after midnight.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I'm helping my wife with a post, does #feedyourbodyfeedyourbaby sound like a good # minus the length?

• Options

9mpra78r9u7u.jpg
    jhwggiddu6ug.jpg

No, we went with Daisy. Wanted to give her baths, take her out in the sun, and feed her after midnight.

I said to lie to me!

• Options

I said to lie to me!

Fine, you want her full name?

Daisy of the House Dover, the Second of Her Litter, The Unclean, Queen of the Backyard, the Pupper and the First Doggo, Queen of Master Bedroom, Goofball of the Great Pillow Sea, Protector of the Food Bowl, Lady Regnant of the Seven Car Seats, Breaker of Leashes and Mother of None as she is spayed.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    I'm playing up the situation a bit for comedy, I actually have a really positive relationship with the kid. And while I'm by no means involved or interested in the subcultures he's attracted to, I do know what they are and am hip enough to have actual conversations about the stuff he likes. Most kids don't get that. Then there's the metric ton of interests that we do share. We build miniatures and play board games together, we play guitar together, we're building a blacksmithing forge this summer, outside of The Anime, we basically like the same films.

And he's just recently starting to realize that his life has had a lot of cool things in it that aren't Standard Dad Stuff. He's been going to punk rock shows and sitting on stage beside my equipment since he could walk. Since its just been a fact of his life from as far as he could remember, I guess he thought it was just something that Dads do. A couple times a month your Dad straps on a guitar and jumps around like a weirdo and you get to sit on stage and watch the mosh pit. It blew his mind to learn that this isn't a usual thing, and most Dads aren't even in bands.

So in the long run, I think we're gonna do just fine.

I know this is a couple of days old now, but I just had a thought - how is your kid going to rebel when they're a teenager, if you're already a dyed-in-the-wool punk?

What if they join The Young Republicans or some shit?!?

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Well, I'm glad I bought the big girl bed a week and a half ago. It's supposed to be delivered tomorrow, and as if on queue, she has broken her crib by jumping. It's still functional, but it's not going to last much longer. Two and a half years for a rather cheap crib isn't that bad.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    It's Casimir's first day of school today. His school only does new intake students at the start of term, so there's cohorts of new young lies all starting together. There's a full on Powhiri* for new students and whanau**, but unfortunately I'm in a training course all week so can't slip into the office late.

Going to have to get used to idea that he's going to be the tiny little one in the class again, instead of the bigger kid helping all the little ones at preschool.

Also wishing I had set out his Star Wars or Planets & stars top for posterity rather than the daggy green sweatshirt from the laundry pile, but I was in a hurry and didn't really think about it until I was on the train to the office.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to spend the next hour trying to not cry dad tears long enough to pay attention to whatever it is I'm supposed to be learning today.

*: Maori welcoming ceremony
    **: extended family

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    The last two weeks have been great because our youngest has finally, consistently, stayed in his own bed throughout the night. A really nasty thunderstorm came bellowing in around midnight and was hitting hard enough to knock stuff off the walls. I was amazed he stayed in his bed for as long as he did, but the light from one bolt was so close that it lit up our bedroom and boomed immediately. It was like a power transformer exploded right out side the window. Within a few seconds he came running in and shouted "daddy!", so we let him climb in bed with us. I got him back to sleep and dozed back off myself. Wife said she would try to pull him closer to her but he would move right back over to me.

Yeah it sucks not getting the best sleep, but damn it feels great when your kids think you can keep them safe nature's fury.

• Options
    Wife text this morning

Wife: Its not even 8 and your sons are already fighting!
    Me: Give them each a sword, lock them in a room, and tell them there can be only one.
    Wife: *eyeroll emoji*
    Me: If you're just going to dismiss my advice I'm going to stop giving it.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It's 4am.

Ellie has woken up and demanding pasta.

She had very little dinner and didn't ask for anything else.

So she is now in the lounge having a cuppa soup.

Because she could not be convinced to go back to sleep.

This discussion has been closed.