Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

1565759616264

Posts

  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    A couple weeks ago my back was really hurting, and while I was sitting on the floor Sapling came up behind me and sort of patted me on the back, which gave me an idea, so now I've been working on training her to rub my back. She'll sort of lightly pat it for a good 30 seconds if I ask her for a backrub now.

    Just lay down on your stomach and have her walk on your back. It works wonders. (Says a father with bulging discs in his neck and lower back)

    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • MusicDragonMusicDragon Registered User regular
    Ooo da lally ooo da lally golly
    Ketar wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »
    Uncomfortable sleeping positions?

    42le1n8xqkbt.jpeg

    This is not an accident. If we move the books off, he replaces them. On his head.

    A cow says moo

    A sheep says ba

    Three singing pigs say La La La

    No no you say that isn't right!

    Pigs say Oink all day and night

    Rhinoceroses snort and snuff and tiny little dogs go ruff ruff ruff

    Quack says the duck

    A horse says neigh

    It's quiet now, what do you say?

    I have read Sandra Boynton books to my 22 month year old thousands of times

    Somebody please come to my work and kill me

    What does the fox say?

    Ooo da lolly ooo da lolly golly what a day

    CogBrodylonelyahavaPeenElvenshaeSlacker71
  • CogCog Registered User regular
    Ooo da lally ooo da lally golly
    Ketar wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »
    Uncomfortable sleeping positions?

    42le1n8xqkbt.jpeg

    This is not an accident. If we move the books off, he replaces them. On his head.

    A cow says moo

    A sheep says ba

    Three singing pigs say La La La

    No no you say that isn't right!

    Pigs say Oink all day and night

    Rhinoceroses snort and snuff and tiny little dogs go ruff ruff ruff

    Quack says the duck

    A horse says neigh

    It's quiet now, what do you say?

    I have read Sandra Boynton books to my 22 month year old thousands of times

    Somebody please come to my work and kill me

    What does the fox say?

    Ooo da lolly ooo da lolly golly what a day

    This movie mostly holds up.

    PeenElvenshaeSlacker71
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My 5 year old daughter is a rogue with high charisma. She pocketed a candy at the store last night. Dad found out, and walked her back to the store to apologize. She somehow was able to keep the candy and not pay for it.
    I'm... Not sure how I feel. This girl is miss popular. Very loving with lots of friends. I'm dreading her growing up and continually getting away with stuff like this.

    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • CogCog Registered User regular
    My 5 year old daughter is a rogue with high charisma. She pocketed a candy at the store last night. Dad found out, and walked her back to the store to apologize. She somehow was able to keep the candy and not pay for it.
    I'm... Not sure how I feel. This girl is miss popular. Very loving with lots of friends. I'm dreading her growing up and continually getting away with stuff like this.

    I wouldn't have let that go, I don't think. The big lesson there was "I got what I wanted".

    davidsdurions
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    My 5 year old daughter is a rogue with high charisma. She pocketed a candy at the store last night. Dad found out, and walked her back to the store to apologize. She somehow was able to keep the candy and not pay for it.
    I'm... Not sure how I feel. This girl is miss popular. Very loving with lots of friends. I'm dreading her growing up and continually getting away with stuff like this.

    I wouldn't have let that go, I don't think. The big lesson there was "I got what I wanted".

    Yeeeeeppp. I was giving the youngest a bath when this happened, so I only saw the aftermath. I made her give half to get younger brother, at least. But the damage was done.
    We definitely need to be more consistent in telling people to stop giving her things. Were just very non- confrontational, and have a harder time telling others not to give her things.

    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    My 5 year old daughter is a rogue with high charisma. She pocketed a candy at the store last night. Dad found out, and walked her back to the store to apologize. She somehow was able to keep the candy and not pay for it.
    I'm... Not sure how I feel. This girl is miss popular. Very loving with lots of friends. I'm dreading her growing up and continually getting away with stuff like this.

    I wouldn't have let that go, I don't think. The big lesson there was "I got what I wanted".

    Yeeeeeppp. I was giving the youngest a bath when this happened, so I only saw the aftermath. I made her give half to get younger brother, at least. But the damage was done.
    We definitely need to be more consistent in telling people to stop giving her things. Were just very non- confrontational, and have a harder time telling others not to give her things.

    It's something I didn't really understand pre-baby. "I get that you may not care about what she's doing in this specific instance, but she's just going to learn that's OK to do all the time which is a problem for me"

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    davidsdurionsCogJansonProlegomenaLoisLaneElvenshaeSolvent
  • CogCog Registered User regular
    I pulled some shit like this when I was about 4 or 5, swiped some candy. My parents took it away, and I cried and they caved and gave some to me and some to my brother. Guess what the lesson was that I actually took from the ordeal.

  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited February 10
    RedTide wrote: »
    Uncomfortable sleeping positions?

    42le1n8xqkbt.jpeg

    This is not an accident. If we move the books off, he replaces them. On his head.

    A cow says moo

    A sheep says ba

    Three singing pigs say La La La

    No no you say that isn't right!

    Pigs say Oink all day and night

    Rhinoceroses snort and snuff and tiny little dogs go ruff ruff ruff

    Quack says the duck

    A horse says neigh

    It's quiet now, what do you say?

    I have read Sandra Boynton books to my 22 month year old thousands of times

    Somebody please come to my work and kill me

    Every time I would read that to my daughter she would say a quiet ”hi” after “what do you say” and it was always super cute.








    cursedking on
    kimeJansonBrodyMorivethDrake ChambersRedTideSporkAndrewAllyxiaLoisLaneJaysonFourElvenshaeSlacker71Powerpuppies
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    When I was.. probably around 5 or so, I took a tiny tube of breath mints from a register. I was scared to do it but I wanted to see what would happen. The answer was nothing. No one noticed, and I felt so terrible about it that I told my mom in the car on the ride home that I took them and we didn't pay for them and we should go back and pay for them. She was like "yeah we're not doing that, it's late and we're already almost home." I didn't really want them, I didn't even like them, and I felt so much worse about this stupid little 25-cent tube of breath mints because we weren't turning our asses around to pay for them.

    After that I decided that stealing was stupid and never really thought about doing it again. I recognize now that I was not a typical child in the lessons I tended to take from these things.

    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Niko informed me the other day that I say ‘I love you’ too much. So now I ask permission to say it.

    Me: Niko, may I say how much I love you?
    Niko: No thank you.

    We are also not permitted to sing to him, either.

    sig.jpg
    DisruptedCapitalistDrake ChambersMNC DoverkimeCreaganBrodyschussBanzai5150SporkAndrewAllyxiasponoLoisLaneJaysonFourElvenshaeBlameless ClericSlacker71
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    I pulled some shit like this when I was about 4 or 5, swiped some candy. My parents took it away, and I cried and they caved and gave some to me and some to my brother. Guess what the lesson was that I actually took from the ordeal.

    My brother got caught stealing when he was like 14 and got sent to some 2 week boot camp/scared straight thing. I did not steal.

    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStigCFN: Stiggles
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    My sister got banned from Hot Topic for life because she unwrapped something she was totally going to pay for and put it in her pocket and then whoops forgot to pay for it.

    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    Drake ChambersLoisLaneJaysonFourElvenshae
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    I remember doing that candy stealing thing at age 5 or so. It was at the grocery store, and I took one of those multicolored caramel things just because I could. I don’t even think I would have liked it.

    My dad saw I had it and asked where I got it, and that’s when young Drake Chambers really went all in. I told him I bought it! He asked where I got money. I told him it was crazy, money just started falling from the ceiling! And I took some and bought some candy!

    Probably the maddest I remember my dad ever being with me.

    steam_sig.png
    FishmanMNC DoverkimesponoLoisLaneLaOsElbasunuElvenshaeSlacker71
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    My daughter already has all the charms down pat and a full devil-may-care attitude. At 2 and a half. Also rage of a thousand suns when shit does not go how she wants. She is the embodiment of the steel fist in the velvet glove. We full on ignore her tantrums now. She's also the SWEETEST person ever when in a good mood, so it's a ride.

    lonelyahavaceres
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited February 11
    As a child, it basically never crossed my mind to disobey an adult. Lying or anything of a deceptive nature wasn’t even an option I considered. But I was quite unusual - my mom said that as a 2-3 year old, she could set me down in the middle of a shop (thinking small 80s shops - that aren’t much bigger than a big room) - and tell me to sit and not touch anything and I would do just that.

    I literally can’t conceive of a 2-3 year old that would do that, yet apparently I was that child.

    Janson on
    sig.jpg
    lonelyahava
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    So my wife is getting anxious about our son's teacher's concerns about his behaviour at school. Basically, she says he has a hard time sitting still on the carpet.

    These kids are 3 to 4 years old, ours coming from a very busy, open-concept and play-focused daycare. Then comes JK and you're now to sit still while a teacher talks at you, surrounded by toys. I don't know, I'm trying not to dismiss the behaviour, and I do agree he should be told to sit back down, but I'm not taking it as some kind of red flag that there is something terribly wrong. At home, he's high energy, loves to run around with capes and masks and play superheros, loves to build forts out of couch cushions, but he'll also sit still and play Lego, or do a 48-piece puzzle, or play with magnet blocks. I just think he sits on the carpet at school, thinks "well this sucks" and gets up to go play. Sure, sit him back down. But he's 4!

    Today she brought him out with Grandpa to a nearby cafe, and apparently he wouldn't sit still in the booth, so when he got bored of playing with some of the games they have there, he was standing up in the booth, playing with picture frames, etc. I wasn't there, so I can't really comment on it, but again, 4 years old and expected to sit still in a booth while grownups talk for an hour? I don't know...

    Am I just being soft on him? I've suggested so far that we encourage independent play a bit more on his own, so for example when he gets home from school and mom is cooking dinner (I don't get home until around 5:30pm) send him downstairs into the family room to play. If he brings toys upstairs into the living room, send him back downstairs and tell him mom is making dinner, play downstairs quietly please. Thinking maybe increasing the amount of time he's left on his own to entertain himself quietly will help, but I don't know.

    This afternoon I was trying to vacuum and mop the main level, and he wrapped himself up in blankets from the couch and tried crawling around the kitchen "like a monster" after being told to stay out of it. I just told him to go up and play in his room, he did, and when I was done mom went upstairs and said she found him lying in his bed just playing with a stuffed animal. So, I think he just needs quiet time to himself, but he needs to be "forced" to take it. He won't take it upon himself to do that since mom and dad are here and yaaaay, but secretly he's exhausted and could use a little time to decompress.

    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
    ceres
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Yeah, he sounds like every other four year old I’ve known! My two definitely wouldn’t sit still in a booth for that long, and a lot of their games are so physical and active!

    sig.jpg
    schussMusicDragonJaysonFourCogElvenshae
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    That sounds entirely reasonable for a 4 year old who hasn't had any similar experience to that class setup.

    As for the restaurant booth...I'm not sure what else they would expect. If there's not something successfully engaging for them to do, and you're not involving them in conversation, they're going to explore for entertainment.

    Slacker71
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    I mean, if he can't even sit still for 5 minutes (IE fiddles a bit with things on the table, but not getting up), ok maybe something there, but 4 year olds are a storm of energy. One other thing that can help is playing with him and modeling what good behavior is/guiding. They don't know much at this stage, so helping them understand that you act differently in different contexts helps. At home? Go nuts. Out at a restaurant? Inside voices and less activity - but it wasn't an overnight thing.

  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    We threw a little 1st birthday party for Bean today. It was a "Decorate Your Own Cupcake Party".

    He got his smash cake and had some fun with it


    It's hard to say how much made it into his tummy but there was a LOT on the ground and on his plate ahwne he was done.

    Also we now have like 15 leftover cupcakes does anybody want one

    kimedavidsdurionsMNC DoverlonelyahavaBrodyJansonBanzai5150SyphonBlueLoisLaneJaysonFourchrishallett83ceresPeenI ZimbradjmitchellaElvenshaeSlacker71
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Oh my gosh he hash the best facial expressions

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    MNC DoverSlacker71
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    I mean, if he can't even sit still for 5 minutes (IE fiddles a bit with things on the table, but not getting up), ok maybe something there, but 4 year olds are a storm of energy. One other thing that can help is playing with him and modeling what good behavior is/guiding. They don't know much at this stage, so helping them understand that you act differently in different contexts helps. At home? Go nuts. Out at a restaurant? Inside voices and less activity - but it wasn't an overnight thing.

    He's definitely fine at restaurants with us normally, I think the teacher's comments just got my wife overthinking it.

    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Uncomfortable sleeping positions?

    42le1n8xqkbt.jpeg

    This is not an accident. If we move the books off, he replaces them. On his head.

    A cow says moo

    ...

    I have read Sandra Boynton books to my 22 month year old thousands of times

    Somebody please come to my work and kill me

    My kids are/were kind of partial to Hippos Go Berserk and Barnyard Dance. Lots of dancing and generally acting silly during both. Daddy gets his best southern accent on for Barnyard Dance... and eventually the kids say "daddy, stop doing the voice".

    And now they are kind of too old for Boynton books :( .

    Both of my sons just love making Alexa play "What Does the Fox Say?".

  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Miles has sat very nicely (for the most part) at sit-down restaurants since he was about 3 1/2-4. I can tell you that kids are often running around and throwing food all over the place and making noise because many, many people have come to me and said that my kids are so well-behaved, their kids would have been running around and throwing food all over the place and making noise. They also don't see him at home, where he is doing all those things all the time. What I've always been told by his teachers is that unless he's actively destructive it's not at all a concern.

    There have been kids in his class over the past couple years who have been much more destructive, or who reacted to simple commands like "sit down on your carpet square because it's time to do this thing" with full-on tantrums, and they tend to be the kids who need help. All his teachers have told me that while it's good to make sure you're communicating with his teachers and his behaviors are manageable, it's probably okay.

    As a first-time parent I always told myself there was no way I would be that parent who worried about every little tantrum like there's something wrong because kids are kids and do crappy obnoxious things sometimes, and then I went on to be that parent who did those things. So I guess she should know that it's probably fine but also as normal to worry about your first kid as the behaviors are themselves.

    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    So, I just registered my kid for Junior Kindergarten. It feels so surreal.

    While sitting in the school and filling out forms, the PA system came on, annoucing that due to the freezing rain, it was going to be an indoor recess.

    From the other side of the school, I could hear the faint cheers of children.

    Glad that things don't change.

    ceresBrodykimeElvenshaeJansonlonelyahavaSporkAndrewJaysonFourSelnerSlacker71LoisLane
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I remember doing that candy stealing thing at age 5 or so. It was at the grocery store, and I took one of those multicolored caramel things just because I could. I don’t even think I would have liked it.

    My dad saw I had it and asked where I got it, and that’s when young Drake Chambers really went all in. I told him I bought it! He asked where I got money. I told him it was crazy, money just started falling from the ceiling! And I took some and bought some candy!

    Probably the maddest I remember my dad ever being with me.

    Reverse psychology was incredibly powerful for me. Incredibly powerful. When I did something I knew was crappy to see if I could get away with it, the people around me would brush it off with varying degrees of vague positivity/nonchalance, and it would completely break my little brain because I just did a terrible thing, what is wrong with them. I then proceeded to make myself feel terrible and never did the thing again. As a result of my utter existential confusion with the universe that kind of thing happened very rarely, though with some of the social stuff I had thoroughly grown out of that reaction by middle school.

    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    kime
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    I remember doing that candy stealing thing at age 5 or so. It was at the grocery store, and I took one of those multicolored caramel things just because I could. I don’t even think I would have liked it.

    My dad saw I had it and asked where I got it, and that’s when young Drake Chambers really went all in. I told him I bought it! He asked where I got money. I told him it was crazy, money just started falling from the ceiling! And I took some and bought some candy!

    Probably the maddest I remember my dad ever being with me.

    Reverse psychology was incredibly powerful for me. Incredibly powerful. When I did something I knew was crappy to see if I could get away with it, the people around me would brush it off with varying degrees of vague positivity/nonchalance, and it would completely break my little brain because I just did a terrible thing, what is wrong with them. I then proceeded to make myself feel terrible and never did the thing again. As a result of my utter existential confusion with the universe that kind of thing happened very rarely, though with some of the social stuff I had thoroughly grown out of that reaction by middle school.

    Yeah, the bad things I did as a little kid haunt me, not because of how bad the things were but because of the guilty conscience. It's because I was so young I could not rationalize my behavior or make excuses for myself - I was being bad and I knew it.

    It's funny now from a practical adult perspective but I can still feel bad if I recall those times, so much so that those are some of the disclosures I had to make when I was polygraphed for work.

    steam_sig.png
    ceres
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My daycare place decided to close because of the snow. I'm so mentally, physically, and emotionally drained from a long weekend of potty training the 3-year old and getting no sleep that I can't even right now.

    Twitch Page
    Hearthstone: mncdover#1994
    Nintendo Network ID: MNC.Dover
    3DS: 1934-0659-5183
    Steam ID
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    When I did my first steal I was probably 6? it was a Hershey's bar with almonds, I slid it up my sleeve like a pro

    when I was tearing it open in the backseat, my dad asked what I was eating

    oh shit, I'm got I start to cry a little bit and say "HERSHEY'S I TOOK IT" expecting anger because I broke a rule

    but he just chuckles and goes "with almonds? nice, gimme some"

    and I think that's how I ended up where I am today

    BrodykimeMNC DoverElvenshaeSmrtnikSlacker71
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    My daycare place decided to close because of the snow. I'm so mentally, physically, and emotionally drained from a long weekend of potty training the 3-year old and getting no sleep that I can't even right now.

    Our daycare was open which is insane there is more snow on the ground today than there was last monday when they closed. I think its more that workers dont' get paid if its not open so people risked their own personal safety to get paid. AMERICA!

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    BrodyMNC Dover
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    I remember doing that candy stealing thing at age 5 or so. It was at the grocery store, and I took one of those multicolored caramel things just because I could. I don’t even think I would have liked it.

    My dad saw I had it and asked where I got it, and that’s when young Drake Chambers really went all in. I told him I bought it! He asked where I got money. I told him it was crazy, money just started falling from the ceiling! And I took some and bought some candy!

    Probably the maddest I remember my dad ever being with me.

    Reverse psychology was incredibly powerful for me. Incredibly powerful. When I did something I knew was crappy to see if I could get away with it, the people around me would brush it off with varying degrees of vague positivity/nonchalance, and it would completely break my little brain because I just did a terrible thing, what is wrong with them. I then proceeded to make myself feel terrible and never did the thing again. As a result of my utter existential confusion with the universe that kind of thing happened very rarely, though with some of the social stuff I had thoroughly grown out of that reaction by middle school.

    Yeah, the bad things I did as a little kid haunt me, not because of how bad the things were but because of the guilty conscience. It's because I was so young I could not rationalize my behavior or make excuses for myself - I was being bad and I knew it.

    It's funny now from a practical adult perspective but I can still feel bad if I recall those times, so much so that those are some of the disclosures I had to make when I was polygraphed for work.

    I'm terrified to see how my daughter turns out because apparently I was really tricky pretty much every time I did something wrong. I learned pretty young that lying wasn't allowed, so instead I'd talk around whatever, or go with the whole beg forgiveness instead of asking when I knew I'd be told no. Or be told to go clean my room, and in stead of arguing, I'd just go to my room and chill, play with my toys, w/e. And so my parents just assumed I was doing as told and wouldn't worry about checking on me.

    "The shore does not dream of you." - Blind poet Gallan.
    DepressperadoceresDrake Chambers
  • CogCog Registered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »
    That sounds entirely reasonable for a 4 year old who hasn't had any similar experience to that class setup.

    As for the restaurant booth...I'm not sure what else they would expect. If there's not something successfully engaging for them to do, and you're not involving them in conversation, they're going to explore for entertainment.

    Sprocket is 6 and you'd think 30-45 seconds of sitting still is inflicting an actual war crime upon her.

    It's probably at least partially our fault because of iPads and the like.

  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Had a movie outing to see LEGO movie 2. God I love taking this kid to cool movies!

    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    ElvenshaeBanzai5150Slacker71
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Cog wrote: »
    Ranlin wrote: »
    That sounds entirely reasonable for a 4 year old who hasn't had any similar experience to that class setup.

    As for the restaurant booth...I'm not sure what else they would expect. If there's not something successfully engaging for them to do, and you're not involving them in conversation, they're going to explore for entertainment.

    Sprocket is 6 and you'd think 30-45 seconds of sitting still is inflicting an actual war crime upon her.

    It's probably at least partially our fault because of iPads and the like.

    Ours doesn't have anything like that but watches waaaaay too much tv.

    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • CogCog Registered User regular
    edited February 11
    ceres wrote: »
    Cog wrote: »
    Ranlin wrote: »
    That sounds entirely reasonable for a 4 year old who hasn't had any similar experience to that class setup.

    As for the restaurant booth...I'm not sure what else they would expect. If there's not something successfully engaging for them to do, and you're not involving them in conversation, they're going to explore for entertainment.

    Sprocket is 6 and you'd think 30-45 seconds of sitting still is inflicting an actual war crime upon her.

    It's probably at least partially our fault because of iPads and the like.

    Ours doesn't have anything like that but watches waaaaay too much tv.

    Sprocket watches YouTube. This was a huge mistake on our part.

    Like, it's YouTube Kids, but still. Those people understand that you don't keep kids' attention with calm, measured voices and slow, sedate content.

    Also, it feels like she acts like she's on YouTube sometimes. Like if she gets told off for something, she overreacts. Not like "flailing and crying" but like "startled, bug-eyed, spit-take" kind of overreacts. And when she plays minecraft, she prattles on to herself endlessly, like people are watching.

    Its partially cute, and partially concerning.

    Oh, and it's not always YouTube Kids, because they don't have a Roku App, because I dont know, what the fuck YouTube?? There's parental restrictions, but it's still a looser content filter than the Kids app.

    Cog on
  • CogCog Registered User regular
    edited February 11
    Also via the process of osmosis, and being exposed to this much Youtube, I am now a fucking unwilling, living walkthrough of every Granny, Baldi's Basics, and FNAF game and fan-mod ever made, and it's starting to erase older, legitimate information that used to be in my brain. I think last week I forgot how to tie shoes.

    Cog on
  • PeenPeen tw1tch0rz occasionallyRegistered User regular
    edited February 12
    We've made a point of having time in the day where the kids don't have any access to screens or direct attention from us, beyond acknowledging what they're saying of course but not us available to play with them. Our rationale is that they've got to be able to survive with a house full of toys and books for 30 minutes without being directed and that surely that will help them as adults somehow. It definitely requires an investment of patience from us sometimes but my 8 year old can still spend a significant amount of time playing with her toys by herself, and sometimes for a while with her almost 6 year old sister, and that feels like a win.

    And I know how that sounds and I swear I'm not trying to brag. I feel like it's important for us all to say to one another that it's ok if your kids get upset with your decisions and it's ok to make them fend for themselves sometimes and that taking the past of most resistance is healthy and worthwhile, sometimes. You aren't being mean to them and you aren't ruining their lives somehow.

    Peen on
    CogJansonDisruptedCapitalistSmrtnikSo It GoesschussSolventSlacker71LoisLane
  • CogCog Registered User regular
    edited February 11
    That is at least a reassuring thing for me, Sprocket is fully capable of playing on her own for an hour or two at a time, just herself and her toys. I don't mean to make it sound like it's all YouTube all day or else life is miserable. I do think we should cut back on the screentime though.

    Cog on
    lonelyahava
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Peen wrote: »
    We've made a point of having time in the day where the kids don't have any access to screens or direct attention from us, beyond acknowledging what they're saying of course but not us available to play with them. Our rationale is that they've got to be able to survive with a house full of toys and books for 30 minutes without being directed and that surely that will help them as adults somehow. It definitely requires an investment of patience from us sometimes but my 8 year old can still spend a significant amount of time playing with her toys by herself, and sometimes for a while with her almost 6 year old system, and that feels like a win.

    And I know how that sounds and I swear I'm not trying to brag. I feel like it's important for us all to say to one another that it's ok if your kids get upset with your decisions and it's ok to make them fend for themselves sometimes and that taking the past of most resistance is healthy and worthwhile, sometimes. You aren't being mean to them and you aren't ruining their lives somehow.

    This is something I've been trying to implement. Easier said than done, it turns out.

    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    DisruptedCapitalistPeenChiselphane
Sign In or Register to comment.