As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I don't trust my daughter's wiping skills to let her not wear underwear :o

We definitely changed him 30 minutes later before we had to go out. And he then promptly stuck his hand down the back of his pants because "there's an itch in my butt."

Oh good, let's go wash your hands. And my hands. And that toy you're holding. Don't touch the walls!

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Minivans are awesomely functional. We have an Odyssey that's great. That said, you don't really need one until 2+ kids

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I had an... interesting... experience at the mall on Friday and while I think I accomplished the right goal, I’m not sure I did it in the best way.

So, we had finished our shopping and Sprocket had been pretty good, just a small amount of whining about boredom, so we decided to let her blow off some steam at the padded play area/Petri dish hellscape. It’s actually this exact playground behind the spoiler:
    mall3.jpg

We were sitting just to the right of the boat at the top of that pic.

So, while we were watching her play, my wife remarked on how almost every parent there has their face in their phone and nobody is paying attention. We always watch and Sprocket often looks to us to make sure we’re watching her show off or whatever. My phone battery lasts about 30 mins of active game/app times these days so I honestly don’t touch it anyway.

While she was crawling through a short tunnel (that log in front of where we were), a boy crawled into the the other end. When they met in the middle, he “solved” the impasse by shoving her over out of the tunnel. She looked confused and stunned and more so when he crawled out and pushed her over again.

My wife shouted to get the kid’s attention and just told him a stern “No!” and left it at that. We don’t want to parent someone else’s kid but his parent was paying no attention. Sprocket came over all upset. We told her no one has the right to put their hands on her like that, so she should stand up for herself and tell him no if it happens again, but to just avoid him from now on. She went and played on the train and made friends.

My wife and I kept our eyes on the boy. He seemed drunk with child power or something. He was just running around and whenever he came face to face with a kid, he pushed them down. I was trying to see if I could figure out who his parent was rather than intervene directly. Interestingly, at first he was pushing kids over and then just looking all around almost like he was looking to see if anyone noticed or cared. Most parents were watching their phones. Then he noticed we were watching and every time he shoved a kid over he looked directly to us. We both were giving stern head shakes, but he just kept grinning and ran off. Like 4 or 5 more kids shoved over, looked directly at us, ran off.

The last straw was when he pushed a much smaller boy, maybe 2-3 years old. Pushed him down the stairs off that boat. Backwards. The little boy was standing at the top of the stairs and the bully kid put both hands on his face and shoved. The little boy went over backwards down the steps, and was bawling immediately.

I am wildly averse to making a scene or drawing attention to myself, but I went from trying to spot a parent to ending this. I stood up and pointed at the kid and started shouting “Hey, who’s kid is this?! This boy, white long sleeved shirt, blue pants!” The boy hid in the boat. I had to shout 4 or 5 times. In the middle of it, the father of the younger boy finally noticed his kid sobbing at the bottom of the stairs and collected him. Finally a guy came over and asked what his son had done, and I told him he’d been bullying and pushing over kids for 5 minutes or more and just pushed a little boy down the stairs.

So, a couple of things. First, parents need to put their fucking phones away at those playgrounds, and parent. There’s no teachers, there’s no attendants, there’s no rules. We always told Sprocket when she was young “you’re one one of the little kids here, watch out for the big kids, be careful” and now we always tell her “you’re one of the big kids here, be mindful of the little kids, make sure you are being careful”. For other kids though, those places are the fucking wild west.

Second, I’m sure I could have “done” that better? Maybe asked the kid where his parent was, and then gone directly to the parent, but I would have felt a little weird approaching and talking to a kid that wasn’t mine. And maybe he just runs off? My social anxiety was trying to choke my brain to death, but something had to be done. I don’t care about me. I don’t care about the parent, fuck that guy, he was looking at his phone while his kid fucking ran buck wild, he can eat some embarrassment. I do feel bad for essentially grinding the whole play pit to a halt and making everyone look at the kid. He was looking for attention, but not that kind. He wanted validation, not to be singled out in front of a crowd.

So I guess I got the right result but I dunno if I got there through the best means.

Cog on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I don't know of a better way to do that tbh.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Yeah, confronting the child would not have gone over well. The kid probably would have thrown a fit, and you would have looked aggressive. Unfortunately, another kid crying over it would have been the only way short of finding the parents looking up (ha!) at him.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I think you handled it better than I would have. Shitty parents are shit.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I'm usually fine with telling other kids what to do. We usually play at the neighborhood playground where I know most of the other parents, though. And I don't think that I've ever been able to sit down, let alone look at my phone for more than a minute.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    It’s a tough situation. More than likely Dad’s response to being told his son is a bully is to take him home and beat him (which continues the violent cycle) or to just not do anything at all.

Personally, sometimes I’m the parent looking at their phone, sometimes I’m not. I know my kids well enough by now to know for certain that they’re not going to bully others, and hovering over them is exhausting. I take them to the park so I don’t have to parent them (which is what my mom did, really. No mobile phones in the 80s, but she’d take us to the local park to let off steam and give her a break while she chatted to friends or read a book. Heck, I don’t remember many parents being in the park at all!).

However, I’m aware that’s not really socially acceptable these days so I typically take the kids to a park only when it’s empty, and I avoid the mall play areas like a plague. (I avoid the mall in general, really).

Anyway, I admire you shutting down the bully, because I certainly couldn’t do it! There’s a reason I’m not in any kind of occupational field where I have to be in contact with other people’s kids.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Cog wrote: »
    Second, I’m sure I could have “done” that better? Maybe asked the kid where his parent was, and then gone directly to the parent, but I would have felt a little weird approaching and talking to a kid that wasn’t mine. And maybe he just runs off? My social anxiety was trying to choke my brain to death, but something had to be done. I don’t care about me. I don’t care about the parent, fuck that guy, he was looking at his phone while his kid fucking ran buck wild, he can eat some embarrassment. I do feel bad for essentially grinding the whole play pit to a halt and making everyone look at the kid. He was looking for attention, but not that kind. He wanted validation, not to be singled out in front of a crowd.

Maybe this makes me a huge jerk or terrible person, I dunno, but as far as I'm concerned you did this exactly right. There was no better way. The kid wanted attention, to get noticed, validation but not singled out... you don't always get to decide how the world sees you, especially when you're being a dick to people smaller than you. I always hear people talk about the right or wrong kind of attention, both now and when I was a kid. You do a bad thing, you get the bad kind of attention. The kid was waiting for someone to notice what he was doing. He was trying to see how far he could go before he got in trouble. He finally did, but how much farther do you think he would have gone before his dad decided it was time to go? You didn't light him on fire, you called it to the attention of his parent, which is what needed to happen.

I don't think it's fair to assume that just because a kid goes around pushing other kids till he gets in trouble means he's being beaten when he gets home. Maybe they are, but also maybe his dad was checking work email, or trying to get something he needed to do done, and brought his kid to the mall park because he was bouncing off the walls at home. Or maybe his dad wasn't do anything important, but wasn't paying attention because he was playing Clash of Clans or some shit. Or whatever he was doing maybe when he gets home he sends the kid off to his room to play so he can catch up on the latest netflix thing without worrying about it. Or, maybe the kid is getting a stern but fair talking to every time this happens. But if there's one thing time and parenthood has taught me it's that a person, even a kid, doesn't need a tragic backstory to be an asshole on a playground.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    edited February 2019
    Yeah, that’s why I added or the dad will likely just ignore it. I didn’t add it to say that the kid didn’t deserve punishment - because he did - just that it sucks all round.

I mean, as the bullied kid growing up I would have loved it if adults had stepped in at all, really!

The only thing I can do is make sure my own kids aren’t bullies... I think that them being intentionally cruel to other kids is my biggest nightmare.

Edit: I guess what I was trying to say is that I can’t imagine that a kid who bullies has parents who care.

Janson on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Mine too.. Sometimes you just have to see it to know it's there I guess. I'm having a problem with one of my son's friends right now, and I'm just not sure how to handle it. I know his parents and they're amazing parents in a way that makes me somewhat envious. But also... I really can't deny what I'm seeing and while I've tried talking to mine about it, I don't think he understands what I'm trying to tell him or why it's important. Maybe with little kids sometimes you just have to yell. I'm just bad at it, I always end up off in the weeds.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    I had an... interesting... experience at the mall on Friday and while I think I accomplished the right goal, I’m not sure I did it in the best way.

So, we had finished our shopping and Sprocket had been pretty good, just a small amount of whining about boredom, so we decided to let her blow off some steam at the padded play area/Petri dish hellscape. It’s actually this exact playground behind the spoiler:
    mall3.jpg

We were sitting just to the right of the boat at the top of that pic.

So, while we were watching her play, my wife remarked on how almost every parent there has their face in their phone and nobody is paying attention. We always watch and Sprocket often looks to us to make sure we’re watching her show off or whatever. My phone battery lasts about 30 mins of active game/app times these days so I honestly don’t touch it anyway.

While she was crawling through a short tunnel (that log in front of where we were), a boy crawled into the the other end. When they met in the middle, he “solved” the impasse by shoving her over out of the tunnel. She looked confused and stunned and more so when he crawled out and pushed her over again.

My wife shouted to get the kid’s attention and just told him a stern “No!” and left it at that. We don’t want to parent someone else’s kid but his parent was paying no attention. Sprocket came over all upset. We told her no one has the right to put their hands on her like that, so she should stand up for herself and tell him no if it happens again, but to just avoid him from now on. She went and played on the train and made friends.

My wife and I kept our eyes on the boy. He seemed drunk with child power or something. He was just running around and whenever he came face to face with a kid, he pushed them down. I was trying to see if I could figure out who his parent was rather than intervene directly. Interestingly, at first he was pushing kids over and then just looking all around almost like he was looking to see if anyone noticed or cared. Most parents were watching their phones. Then he noticed we were watching and every time he shoved a kid over he looked directly to us. We both were giving stern head shakes, but he just kept grinning and ran off. Like 4 or 5 more kids shoved over, looked directly at us, ran off.

The last straw was when he pushed a much smaller boy, maybe 2-3 years old. Pushed him down the stairs off that boat. Backwards. The little boy was standing at the top of the stairs and the bully kid put both hands on his face and shoved. The little boy went over backwards down the steps, and was bawling immediately.

I am wildly averse to making a scene or drawing attention to myself, but I went from trying to spot a parent to ending this. I stood up and pointed at the kid and started shouting “Hey, who’s kid is this?! This boy, white long sleeved shirt, blue pants!” The boy hid in the boat. I had to shout 4 or 5 times. In the middle of it, the father of the younger boy finally noticed his kid sobbing at the bottom of the stairs and collected him. Finally a guy came over and asked what his son had done, and I told him he’d been bullying and pushing over kids for 5 minutes or more and just pushed a little boy down the stairs.

So, a couple of things. First, parents need to put their fucking phones away at those playgrounds, and parent. There’s no teachers, there’s no attendants, there’s no rules. We always told Sprocket when she was young “you’re one one of the little kids here, watch out for the big kids, be careful” and now we always tell her “you’re one of the big kids here, be mindful of the little kids, make sure you are being careful”. For other kids though, those places are the fucking wild west.

So I guess I got the right result but I dunno if I got there through the best means.

You handled it exactly right, IMO.

This is what happens when your kids find out you're more interested in your phone instead of what they're up to- they end up seeing how far they can push things before they get into trouble, and it was right of you to call him out on it. I imagine this guy's going to be an absolute nightmare for his teachers and school to deal with. The fact he was staring at you, grinning, after he did it? That's someone who's figured out he can be as much of a little shit as he wants until daddy or mommy are paying attention, and then he puts on the nice guy act.

The father of that bully boy is very lucky the child pushed down the stairs only got some bumps and bruises- at least, hopefully that's all he got. If he'd broken the kid's arm or neck or caused him to hit his head, he'd be lucky to walk out of there with just a civil suit for the other child's medical bills. Those places are not "go run around like a wild animal while mommy and daddy bury themselves in their phones playing Candy Crush", they're "go run and play while mommy and daddy take a load off but watch you like a damned hawk".

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    Janson wrote: »
    It’s a tough situation. More than likely Dad’s response to being told his son is a bully is to take him home and beat him (which continues the violent cycle) or to just not do anything at all.

Woosh, I get that's more likely than it should be, but it still just kinda sucks how common that assumption is that that's just how "Dads" are with their kids :(.

Steam profile
    My initial post wasn’t well thought-through, sorry.

I’ll try to explain myself better:

- Cog did the right thing.
    - Absolutely, the father of the bully should have been paying attention to his son.
    - However I do baulk at placing the blame on parents being on their phones.

One big reason why going out in public with my kids stresses me out so much is that I feel that I’m being judged if my eyes aren’t constantly on my kids. I’m really jumpy and nervous whenever I take them out.

I grew up with the notion that public spaces aimed at kids - parks/play spaces especially - were places where parents didn’t have to watch so closely. Visits to the park were always a break for my mom (as she says).

Then again, I’ve worked enough with my kids at home to trust that they’ll behave themselves without my ever-watching eye, and therefore I assume that a kid who doesn’t behave in public isn’t having attention paid to them at home, either. That’s what I was trying to imply with my comment about the dad. It’d be nice if this was a wake-up call for him, though!

Anyway, I took my own kids out to the park earlier (it was empty, so we had fun. I raced them up and down, them on their scooters and me on foot, so it was good exercise for me) and they had the most inane argument as only kids can:

Niko: Eat my dust!
    Anya: Eat MY dust!
    Niko: My dust is dirtier!
    Anya: No, MY dust is dirtier!

A whole conversation about how dirty their dust is.

• AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    @MusicDragon and I have been at the hospital since this afternoon for baby number 2. We are very close to time to start pushing. We will have a daughter very soon. At lest that is what they tell us. :D

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    While I don't think you need to keep eyes on your children 100% of the time while they play in a public space, I don't think turning to something quite as engrossing as a phone is a good idea for (at least) most people. If for no other reason than as that story demonstrated, it's not just your child's actions to keep watch on, but other's.

Things definitely relax when it's (mostly) people you know to some degree, but around a bunch of pure strangers? People are filled with awful ideas about what is okay to say/do to others as adults, and that gets reflected in their children as well, so there's no way I can feel comfortable not mostly keeping watch.

I certainly don't expect everyone to view it the same way, nor do I think you can't keep good vigil while doing something else, including messing about on your phone. You just need to maintain self discipline with it enough that you frequently take stock of what's going on. Which is something I think a lot of people fail at, regardless of whether they're watching kids or not.

• AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    We have a daughter!!!!!

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
    edited February 2019
    Personally, sometimes I’m the parent looking at their phone, sometimes I’m not. I know my kids well enough by now to know for certain that they’re not going to bully others, and hovering over them is exhausting. I take them to the park so I don’t have to parent them.

You're not wrong at all, and there's plenty of places I'll take Sprocket and just let her go do her thing, and I'll phone it up. But the Kiddy-Thunderdome on a weekend evening is not that place, for me. I'm not suggesting that everyone who isn't helicoptering their kids on an empty playground is a neglectful monster. If it's 2 PM on a Tuesday at the mall, it's probably no big deal even there.

EDIT:
    Ranlin wrote: »
    Things definitely relax when it's (mostly) people you know to some degree, but around a bunch of pure strangers? People are filled with awful ideas about what is okay to say/do to others as adults, and that gets reflected in their children as well, so there's no way I can feel comfortable not mostly keeping watch.

Yeah very much this. If she's playing at the playground in our neighborhood, I could almost take a nap. I know a lot of the parents and/or kids. Our town is less than 2000 people.

Anyhow, I appreciate the affirmation that I got it generally right. I always second guess the shit out of myself in that kind of interaction.

Cog on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mom was watching some YouTube tonight.

In came the bagpipes.

Miss three poked get head up, "what's that!?"

Bagpipes.

"I want them."

Well. Ok then.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Mom was watching some YouTube tonight.

In came the bagpipes.

Miss three poked get head up, "what's that!?"

Bagpipes.

"I want them."

Well. Ok then.

They're surprisingly reasonably priced!

Probably not after shipping to NZ, come to think of it

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    @Janson I think there's a huge difference between the amount of attention you need to pay to your kids on a playground when they're 2 or 3, versus 6 or 8. I think you always need to be aware of where they are and what they're doing, roughly, and that you need to be able to trust that they'll tell you before they leave your general area, but I don't think there's anything wrong with browsing something on your phone while your kids play.

I've done that exact thing in one of those mall play areas before and eventually we just decided that they weren't worth it. There were always parents ignoring their kids, nobody respects the age limits so there are kids that are just way too old to be in the space getting in the little ones' way, and my kids also got sick like half the time we let them play in there. I think those things are kind of a nightmare.

My nephew is 14 months old and so far his only word is ‘cat’. He’s never said mama or dada, to his mother’s chagrin.

Apparently this morning my brother was talking to the neighbor and my nephew walked up and pointed at her and said ‘mum!’ clear as day. My brother says his son has always appeared to have a wicked sense of humor and this is just confirmation of that, haha.

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Heard Tiny Wonder cooing over the monitor well after putting Little Man on the school bus and having a coffee this morning. Give him some time to wake up, quietly go into his room and sneak up to see him on his side, staring off into space contently. He finally makes eye contact with me, kind of grins for a second, and very matter of factly says "Dad", before crawling over to get morning hugs

First time he said it and I was absolutely sure he understood the context, and oh geez, oh man. All is forgiven, my difficult little buddy. Even having me up last night until half-hour past midnight, and then once again at five to eat. Now to not mention this to your mother, who would be absolutely devastated she wasn't here

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    My niece caught a cold, and it's been a while since the last so her cognitive jumps are making it interesting at least. She's not in the mood to talk about it when asked, but her unprompted comments about how she feels are that weird mix of adorable and sad.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Kate has yet another fever. We’re at her doctors office now. Hoping it’s not strep again. She’s had strep twice in 4 months.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Kate has yet another fever. We’re at her doctors office now. Hoping it’s not strep again. She’s had strep twice in 4 months.

I went through something similar, it was pretty shitty, from the little I remember of it.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Oh no! Poor Kate. I hope it’s not strep either.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Doctor thinks it’s a virus and her test came back negative for strep. But she said it may be early strep so she’s sending it out and we’ll know in a few days. Basically keep her hydrated and give Tylenol when she has a fever.

50433.png?1708759015
    edited February 2019
    I hope she feels better soon!

I’m finding this hilarious:

Anya has messenger kids installed on my phone and on my iPad. I let her take the iPad to her grandparents’ today and she’s been chatting to people, and I can see all the chats through my phone.

These are some of her chats. Anya’s texts are all in purple. Zeko = grandpa and Margaret = Granny.

2019-02-25%2017.11.54.jpg

Edit: Also, I love that she’s arranging with *my* friend to go shopping for makeup. With whose money, Anya?!

Janson on
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Aw man Janson you are in so much trouble.

In similar news my 11-year-old has been shooting up lately. I swear I only just bought her some new pants and they're already getting to high around her ankles. On the bright side it means she's sleeping in a lot more these days, on the downside she's almost a teenager.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular

In similar news my 11-year-old has been shooting up lately. I swear I only just bought her some new pants and they're already getting to high around her ankles. On the bright side it means she's sleeping in a lot more these days, on the downside she's almost a teenager.

Aw man, I'm so sorry, drugs are hard. Lethargy is definitely a strong indicator of a problem...and I guess late night hemming of pant legs. She'll be in my thoughts.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019

In similar news my 11-year-old has been shooting up lately.
    I swear I only just bought her some new pants and they're already getting to high around her ankles. On the bright side it means she's sleeping in a lot more these days, on the downside she's almost a teenager.

*Castle.gif*

I think I went through the same sequence Fillion did in that Castle gif.

Ketar on
    I read that in three or four ways before I came to the right one

*facepalm*

Yes, this is why I need to proofread more.

Uh... she's growing more.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    *facepalm*

Yes, this is why I need to proofread more.

Uh... she's growing more.

Ohhhhhhh. I literally couldn't figure out what you meant and it made the rest of the post super weird haha

Steam profile
    edited February 2019
    Yeah, upon seeing my mistake, I felt this feeling of total panic, but when I rushed in here, I saw you all had already replied. Oh well, I needed a little humility this morning.

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Both of our bigger boys are growing like crazy, but the middle one especially is frigging ginormous for his age. Large enough that at this point, everything that isn't pants which the Little Man outgrows passes directly over to Middle Guy's side of the dresser, and there's a three and a half year age difference between the two

edited February 2019
    I was just impressed with how well you seemed to be taking it.

Oh, yeah, 11 year old shooting up, nbd.

Cog on
    If it helps, I knew what you meant and ‘shooting up’ is what my mother would say, too!

Anya’s been saying that she hates school lately and the way she drags her feet in the morning we’ve been afraid that she’s not getting along with kids at school. But today she finally told me that she’s just really bored at school. That’s harder to fix, but at least I don’t have to approach her teacher about relationships!

If it helps, I knew what you meant and ‘shooting up’ is what my mother would say, too!

Anya’s been saying that she hates school lately and the way she drags her feet in the morning we’ve been afraid that she’s not getting along with kids at school. But today she finally told me that she’s just really bored at school. That’s harder to fix, but at least I don’t have to approach her teacher about relationships!

She's in first grade now right? My eldest went through a phase like that during the Spring of her first grade year. It's tough because I think some teachers just phone it in and don't really inspire the gifted students. The good news was that her second, third, and fourth grade teachers really challenged her in a way that made her happy, but now it's happening again in her fifth grade. In total, most of her teachers have been good so overall we've been happy with the public schools. The only thing that's been troubling us lately is that she has a lot fewer friends now than she did in the first grade. It's possible it's just a function of growing older and having one or two really close friends but otherwise everyone else is just acquaintances.

This discussion has been closed.