Options

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »
    Ah, the quiet "hint, hint" of an older sibling...

She'll have to seek outside help. I'm snipped now!

Yeah that's not the hint I was referring to

Yeah I'm pretty sure that drawing is a hint of "please put this terror back where it came from"

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    My ardently anti-gun wife somehow has a built-in +25% to accuracy and critical hits with all Nerf guns, which the boys keep finding out everytime she just absolutely shreds all of us in a hail of foam darts and giggling

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    Ah, the quiet "hint, hint" of an older sibling...

She'll have to seek outside help. I'm snipped now!

Yeah that's not the hint I was referring to

Yeah I'm pretty sure that drawing is a hint of "please put this terror back where it came from"

Haha oh right. Well the little floating ball thing to the side is apparently his sister after she came out. It's all very deep, you see.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    My ardently anti-gun wife somehow has a built-in +25% to accuracy and critical hits with all Nerf guns, which the boys keep finding out everytime she just absolutely shreds all of us in a hail of foam darts and giggling

She used to be a hit woman and is trying to live a normal life.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    mrpaku wrote: »

She used to be a hit woman and is trying to live a normal life.

BRB, watching The Long Kiss Goodnight

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    There's a lot of things that are finally starting to make some sense to me right now

Thank god she's on an nondescript business outing internationally this weekend, so I have time to sort all these new revelations out!

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Happy Mother's Day to the moms in here, you're all excellent and I'm glad you hang out here.

Me with my kids IRL:

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Happy Mother's day to all the moms of the PA forums!

I've spent my night being up every few hours to deal with the dog and both kids. Good thing I already bought the wife's flowers, gifts, and balloon the day before to set myself up for today.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It's Owen's third birthday today...

WHAT?!?

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Happy birthday Owen!

All I would like for Mother’s Day is for the house to remain cleanish... I have been sick lately and haven’t slept well so I have been too tired to clean as much as usual, so the house was pretty messy. Ahahaha...

I have just done two hours of yardwork/cleaning so maaaybe the kids can be bribed with games to be quiet this afternoon before the in-laws come over?!

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have experience with the following car seats:

Joie Every Stage Ladybird
    Joie I-Gemm Pavement
    Combi Malgotto
    Joie Duallo
    ?

And do you know what 'isofix' is? I guess it's safest to assume my car doesn't have it?

Those four seats appear to be the best I have available to me so I'm looking into them, but it can be a pretty confusing area.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Solvent wrote: »

Joie I-Gemm Pavement
    Combi Malgotto
    Joie Duallo
    ?

And do you know what 'isofix' is? I guess it's safest to assume my car doesn't have it?

Those four seats appear to be the best I have available to me so I'm looking into them, but it can be a pretty confusing area.
    https://youtu.be/qL3c3hs9who

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Not kid related, but the wife and I discussed having me get back into the job market. Filling out applications and updating my resume has me feeling woefully under prepared for work again...especially at 43. I don't imagine I'll get many good opportunities and will settle for a "Whatever I can take" job.

I can't even begin to imagine how hard this must be for women. :(

What line of work?

I'm looking to get back into the gaming industry, even though it's a hard nut to crack. Even entry level testing would be fine, but a Producer, HR, or Management role would be great.

You're not in the SF/Bay area right? I'm working at an educational gaming place in Sunnyvale and while I don't think we're hiring right now, I can ping you if something opens up. It's a great place to work at with sane hours and no crunch time.

Edit: I see you're in Seattle so probably too far for you. Sending best wishes anyway.

Korror on
    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

Joie I-Gemm Pavement
    Combi Malgotto
    Joie Duallo
    ?

ISOFIX means the car has some little clips hidden in the backseat. So you attach to those rather than just using the belt.

All moderately recent cars are legally required to have it and most have had it since the 90's (I think, during NCT classes the statement was more or less that unless you have a classic car you've got ISOFIX)

If you dig around your seats you should find a label if your car has it

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    All this talk of car seats had me look up the limits for Anya

She is 7 years old and still has 2 inches and/or 25 lbs (so she’ll likely hit the height limit first) before she’s too big for a 5 point harness, haha

She is such a shrimp!

Janson on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Joie I-Gemm Pavement
    Combi Malgotto
    Joie Duallo
    ?

ISOFIX means the car has some little clips hidden in the backseat. So you attach to those rather than just using the belt.

All moderately recent cars are legally required to have it and most have had it since the 90's (I think, during NCT classes the statement was more or less that unless you have a classic car you've got ISOFIX)

If you dig around your seats you should find a label if your car has it

Oh, is that the same as LATCH? One warning for that, make sure you know which seats have it in your car even if you feel the little clips in the seat.

Like, if the left seat and right seat have the two clips, you may think the middle does if you're just feeling it. But it could just be the inner clips of the left/right seats latches, if that makes sense. Apparently that may not be safe because they aren't designed to restrain at those angles

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    so what's the general age range for needing a car seat or one of those booster things?

'cause I feel like I was down to just regular seatbelt pretty young, but that might have been your garden variety bad parenting

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    so what's the general age range for needing a car seat or one of those booster things?

'cause I feel like I was down to just regular seatbelt pretty young, but that might have been your garden variety bad parenting

Things were generally different for most people 20+ years ago. I don't remember what the limits are, but generally it's always "only move them up to the next stage when you really need to due to the height/weight limits"

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options

It goes by weight/height, I guess the average kid:

- Rear-facing five-harness seat until at least 2 years old (states like California have this as law. Many car seats will accommodate an average child rear facing until 4 years old)
    - Forward-facing five-harness seat from 2-5 years of age
    - High-back booster seat from 5-8/9 years of age
    - Booster seat from 8/9+ years until they reach 4’8 or so

It wasn’t bad parenting - just car seats and their laws have improved and changed. A lot of car seats in the 80s were more about restraining the kid than safety; the metal lap bars some of them had probably caused more injuries than they prevented. Even my siblings born in the late 90s were out of car seats early on. Car seats have improved hugely in the past decade, really.

• Options
    Until the age of 3/4 kids’ spinal bones aren’t ossified and forward-facing in a nasty crash can (rarely, but it has happened) lead to internal decapitation even when the car seat performs its duty. That’s the science behind the push to keep kids rear-facing until 4.

Having said that I turned Anya toward-facing at 3.5 because two rear-facing non-infant car seats did not fit in my car when I was driving. And really, most kids are going to be just fine after 3.

5 point harnesses are just better at keeping kids in position, and boosters help keep seat-belts properly positioned.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular

Joie I-Gemm Pavement
    Combi Malgotto
    Joie Duallo
    ?

If you're looking at websites they'll generally have a PDF to download that tells you if it's compatible with your car.

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    They need to be in carseats until 12 in the UK? That's remarkable. That must be a royal pain in the arse.

So yeah my car has isofix, I just didn't realise that's what those clips are called. The seat we have for my 3-year old is mounted with those.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    They need to be in carseats until 12 in the UK? That's remarkable. That must be a royal pain in the arse.

So yeah my car has isofix, I just didn't realise that's what those clips are called. The seat we have for my 3-year old is mounted with those.

Towards the end there its usually more of a platform the sit in to make sure that the normal seat belt lands at the right spots on their body.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Today's PA comic speaks to me in a real way and I'm very, very glad that the Kindle Freetime stuff has in-app purchases disabled by default.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I am flummoxed by the rearfacing convertible car seat we just got from my brother. The nature of these seats is going to mean the base of the seat is as close and tight to the rear of the vehicles seat as possible, but that is resulting in Oliver's legs having too little room in against the upright back of the vehicle seat. I suppose we could look around for a new car seat where the base itself is longer, putting him further away from the vehicle seat, but I'm a little worried about our ability to find something that will fit well.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    I am flummoxed by the rearfacing convertible car seat we just got from my brother. The nature of these seats is going to mean the base of the seat is as close and tight to the rear of the vehicles seat as possible, but that is resulting in Oliver's legs having too little room in against the upright back of the vehicle seat. I suppose we could look around for a new car seat where the base itself is longer, putting him further away from the vehicle seat, but I'm a little worried about our ability to find something that will fit well.

They usually have a height listed for each direction. Might want to look into that.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    My son's birthday went pretty well. We went to the park like last year, even the same park. I gave him the choice between having a party with legos for his class or a party with Ninjago legos where he could invite an absolute maximum of 5 people. He chose the Ninjago legos, and Ninjago will win every argument every time. I got each kid a spinjitzu thing that they could take home and that went so much better than I could have hoped for. I had some other things for them to do in case they didn't go down at all, and not only where those toys enough, they were not put down. They stopped only for some cheap water pistols I had picked up as party favors, and the little containers of bubbles. They were back on the toys pretty quickly.

I decided this year we wouldn't do singing, it kind of seems to annoy everyone and interrupts the flow of play for an awkward moment. We ended up not doing it, and I think it ended up for the best. One of the silliest things was that one of the parents brought a gift card, she thought that would be best because then he could choose whatever he wanted. She didn't end up leaving it because her son was beside himself that he didn't get to pick out a gift to physically hand over. She seemed so confused. That kid cries a lot. The other kids, including mine, seem to get mad or sulk when they don't get things just the way they want; but this kid goes full-on tears. It happened right as they got there, and she was like "why are you saying this now?" In retrospect he probably caught a glimpse of the stuff I had bought for them to do and thought it was all stuff the other kids got him, and wanted to have something like that to give. There was an $85 Ninjago set there for everyone to put together if they got bored with the spinjitzu stuff fast.. now I'm just picturing him standing in the lego aisle with his mom going "everyone else got him something like that." Hoo boy.

Whatever. Everyone seemed to have fun, it's over, I can stop stressing about it.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »

We have the same issue with my daughter. We just put her in and she finds a way to make herself comfortable. We're dealing with the tradeoff between being reclined and having more flexibility with her legs and being upright and fitting better behind my giant ass. It was easier when my son was still in his infant seat, but he recently sized out of that, so now we have 2 rear-facing convertible car seats in the back, so one of them has to be behind me.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Hey my daycare is having a EZ Child ID fingerprinting signup thing today. Is this something anyone else has done?

Edit: My gut reaction is it sounds scammy, but backup gut reaction is "gotta protect my kid!!!"

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Hey my daycare is having a EZ Child ID fingerprinting signup thing today. Is this something anyone else has done?

Edit: My gut reaction is it sounds scammy, but backup gut reaction is "gotta protect my kid!!!"

I don't know, but their website does not help their sketchiness

http://www.ezchildid.com/

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    I remember when I was a kid my dad took my sister and I in to the local police station for fingerprinting to make sure they were on file just in case. I don't know if that particular site is sketchy, but personally I'd much rather have it done that way.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Found a video of them when they had an event here in Michigan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRN5LCy107I

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    So, my older kid (12) has had music lessons at school where they play the recorder, the usual sorts of basic tunes for people starting an instrument.

They aren’t learning recorder right now, but the instrument still lives in his bag and I guess the kids are trading tunes with one another. Today, he’s suddenly playing two tunes that are noticeably more complicated than anything I’d heard before, and neither of which I recognized. “What are those?”, I asked.

It turns out the new tunes that he has not only learned, but learned to play better than anything he was “officially” taught, are:

1. The default music for fortnite, which, sure, I guess he likes fortnite.

And, for some reason I can not fathom, given we don’t watch wrestlemania or anything adjacent to it, the second tune is:

2. John Cena’s entrance music.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Leah graduated preschool tonight. This kid is a bundle of goodness.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    such a cutie!

Congrats on making it this far!

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    So, I dunno guys...
    j8b4xq39fzfu.jpeg

Is it time to take the rails off the crib?

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
  • Options
    Our babies have never had cribs both both slept more or less like that since they were born.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    RIP DaMoon

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
This discussion has been closed.