As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Manticores and Manicures: a Well Groomed Table Top Thread.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    The Tomb of Annihilation has stat blocks for a brontosaurus, deinonychus, dimetrodon, hadrosaurus, stegosauras, and velociraptor.

so does volo's. none of those are cr3 carnivores.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Strahd update

An opponent was singing to a swaddled bundle prior to a fight. As the fight started, they dropped it to engage us. Mid-fight, our Warlock walked over to the bundle and, without checking it, kicked it into the nearby fire.

Good news, it wasn't a real baby.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    ElddrikElddrik Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    DnD needs more dinosaurs for lower levels. like T-Rex is cr 8, which means you can't use it as a druid. there needs to be a cr 3 to 6 carnivores.

Druids have Polymorph on their spell list, at least.

It's not Wild Shape, but you know, you're still a t-rex, so it could be worse.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I just submitted an article proposal to a fairly prominent D&D website.

I hope they'll let me write about this dumb, dumb game.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I won a snowball fight in d&d last night.

While drunk so I had disadvantage on all my rolls unless I reckless attacked.

But to be fair the 19 unarmored ac and remembering the dodge action helped.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    One of the other characters was a gunslinger like from pathfinder and unloaded an action surge at one point but made the mistake of not hitting me with the four snowballs...

The multi class guy kept going into stealth and running away from me even though we both only needed one more hit to get out so the reff put the effect of guiding light on him :lol: but the player got kinda sore about that and hit himself with the snowball. so I tried to give him the prize (wand of snowballs?) because he was being pouty about it.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    DnD needs more dinosaurs for lower levels. like T-Rex is cr 8, which means you can't use it as a druid. there needs to be a cr 3 to 6 carnivores.

Well what kind of dinos?

I know world building is hard but I really do question putting a lot of the monsters in worlds as why would they not be wiped out by the humans or orcs

a wizard did it.

• Options
    you know, the campaign type i think about the most that never really pans out is basically big game hunter dnd. It would kind of just be a monster hunter campaign but a lot of the monster hunter stuff i find isn't very well balanced so actually doing that isn't a great idea, but I like fighting dragons a lot.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    you know, the campaign type i think about the most that never really pans out is basically big game hunter dnd. It would kind of just be a monster hunter campaign but a lot of the monster hunter stuff i find isn't very well balanced so actually doing that isn't a great idea, but I like fighting dragons a lot.

Do it with a more populous campaign setting, where larger cities exist, and "monster hunter" is absolutely a career that many strive for, and fail at. Rumors abound. "Think I heard there was a dragon somewhere out in the caves near the forest." Except monster hunting has been so prolific that nobody's actually seen an actual ass dragon in decades, at least. Turns out it's just some random ass shit. Like an otyugh. Or a cave bear, because seriously nobody actually knows what the fuck they're talking about.

Like homeopaths, but for monsters instead of medicine.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »

Do it with a more populous campaign setting, where larger cities exist, and "monster hunter" is absolutely a career that many strive for, and fail at. Rumors abound. "Think I heard there was a dragon somewhere out in the caves near the forest." Except monster hunting has been so prolific that nobody's actually seen an actual ass dragon in decades, at least. Turns out it's just some random ass shit. Like an otyugh. Or a cave bear, because seriously nobody actually knows what the fuck they're talking about.

so i was thinking kind of the reverse.

You are from the city on the edge. It was built a hundred years ago to serve as a base camp for an exploration fleet that would explore the newly discovered continent near by. but that fleet never came.

While it is still a stable place, concerns are growing of unsustainability. It was never meant to exist on its own for more then ten years, and now that ten times as many have passed, the cracks are showing. A small fleet of ships are being sent to this new land, if nothing else to find supplies, and you're apart of it. your job is to find locations of use, make sure they are safe and report back whatever you can.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

You are from the city on the edge. It was built a hundred years ago to serve as a base camp for an exploration fleet that would explore the newly discovered continent near by. but that fleet never came.

While it is still a stable place, concerns are growing of unsustainability. It was never meant to exist on its own for more then ten years, and now that ten times as many have passed, the cracks are showing. A small fleet of ships are being sent to this new land, if nothing else to find supplies, and you're apart of it. your job is to find locations of use, make sure they are safe and report back whatever you can.

oooh, frontiering! I like that too. Much more straightforward. Would there be any ship-based stuff? Or would the adventure basically kick off after getting ashore on the new land?

Could definitely see nature classes thriving in something like that. A Paladin or cleric miiiight feel a little weird (imperialist?), but who knows, maybe that could be an interesting thing to explore as well.

But I'd be down for that.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    If I ran a campaign like that I would probably have the monsters be from a different world or something, like in a lot of old JRPGs

So it's not entirely like actual big game hunting

• Options

oooh, frontiering! I like that too. Much more straightforward. Would there be any ship-based stuff? Or would the adventure basically kick off after getting ashore on the new land?

Could definitely see nature classes thriving in something like that. A Paladin or cleric miiiight feel a little weird (imperialist?), but who knows, maybe that could be an interesting thing to explore as well.

I would personally avoid trying to make it feel, overly imperialist, like maybe not having a native race or if there are any, they're as advanced as you are (or maybe more so, Ooooo)

but it would mostly be exploring and fighting, maybe having to deal with other groups of people from the same island, or if the group is getting bored of it, trying to figure out what happened and why the exploration fleet was never sent.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I have apparently made the bold choice to obliquely base my Star Trek Adventures story arc off of some of the events in Star Trek Generations and the main continuity portions of Star Trek 2009.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular

I would personally avoid trying to make it feel, overly imperialist, like maybe not having a native race or if there are any, they're as advanced as you are (or maybe more so, Ooooo)

but it would mostly be exploring and fighting, maybe having to deal with other groups of people from the same island, or if the group is getting bored of it, trying to figure out what happened and why the exploration fleet was never sent.

D&D adventurers meeting the equivalent of Wakandans while out hunting goblins/orcs/kobolds....

• Options
    i was kind of thinking people with muskets and the like, but sure, laser rifles and shit would be cool too.

there's a lot of hooks for this type of game. you could find high tech ruins and have no idea what is going on, until you find a super advanced race of kobolds or something

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Started our Dragon Star campaign yesterday. I think its not a very well put together game and its hard going back to 3.5 after Pathfinder and 5E. Also the races were being forced to use all suck. Its 3.5 monster races so they all have like +2 in one stat and -4 in one or -2 in multiple.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Also our DM has decided he wants to use Spell Points instead of spells per day, but also my laser gun does 4d8 damage so when will I ever be casting spells except to maybe heal?

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    has anyone else purchased strongholds and followers? I haven’t had a chance to really dig into it yet.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm going to make my one off christmas character 5 lvl 1 halfings in a trenchcoat.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm going to make my one off christmas character 5 lvl 1 halfings in a trenchcoat.

Each with it's own character class, right?

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Obviously.

I'm thinking, rogue, barb, wizard, warlock, bard

I like to ART
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    For a very long time a D&D character I have wanted to play is a North Pole Elf (Tinker Gnome but reflavored) who is an alchemist, tossing out bombs & handing out potions.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Call him Bernard.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Call him Bernard.

The Santa Clause has aged somewhat poorly

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Obviously.

No Druid?
    Might be fun for one of them to turn into a bear in a trench coat that is also occupied by 4 other halflings.

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    How to get a CR 3 t-rex: Take Giant Scorpion stat block, change name to Tyrannosaurus Rex, change Sting to Bite. Add traits from the other dinos if applicable.

Nullzone on
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    I want to help out with the CR3 Dinosaur problem, but looking at the SRD I think the CRs that already exist are real screwed up... A Triceratops is CR5 but a Rhino is CR2 and an Elephant is CR3? Those should all be the same, in my opinion. I don't know enough about 5e crunch to make sense of it. Anyway, for any of the existing 'classic' Dinosaurs already statted up in the various supplements there's extremely similar but 'weenier' species in the fossil record. For Triceratops for example, you could go for Psittacosaurus or Protoceratops as a small creature, or for a little larger a Chasmosaurus or Diabloceratops. Same basic body plan and fictional capabilities as far as DnD stats are concerned, just smaller overall.

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Statting up dinosaurs isn't really the problem so much as getting DMs to accept your homebrew dinosaurs in a game where you are playing a druid that turns into dinosaurs.

official dinosaurs would be much better. The rules for monster monsters isn't that hard though, so It will just take some talking to, i guess.

fucking, having to be social.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    A triceratops has twice the hp, +2 ac, it's base attack does almost twice the damage and if it knocks (or if the target is already prone) it gets another attack for 22 damage. It also does it's damage about 10% more often thanks to it's +2 to hit.

The elephant has about 50% more hp, +1 ac, +1 to hit, +5 damage and that same prone attack for 22 damage.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I feel like that’s always been a problem with a certain section of D&D hosts. I wish I could just grab all the DMs that care if something is official and just say, look, Chad, we’re going to pretend the dire wolf is a dinosaur. Chad, it’s fine, we’re all playing pretend as it is!!!

I’m very fortunate to play in a D&D campaign where that kinda stuff isn’t a problem. Though I confess at the minute all we have beyond the campaign’s official setting is one made up god and ranger’s pet giant fruit bat that uses the hawk stats or something.

• Options

Obviously.

No Druid?
    Might be fun for one of them to turn into a bear in a trench coat that is also occupied by 4 other halflings.

hmm maybe...because then they could be a "man on a horse" to help hide some of the lumpiness.

I like to ART
  • Options
    iguanacus wrote: »
    A triceratops has twice the hp, +2 ac, it's base attack does almost twice the damage and if it knocks (or if the target is already prone) it gets another attack for 22 damage. It also does it's damage about 10% more often thanks to it's +2 to hit.

The elephant has about 50% more hp, +1 ac, +1 to hit, +5 damage and that same prone attack for 22 damage.

Yea I mean I see why as-statted in the game as they are right now the Triceratops is way more powerful than an Elephant, justifying a much higher CR; what I meant was, as real animals, there's not (or should not be) that much difference between them. Nothing about the real animal Triceratops horridus justifies (in my opinion) making it do twice as much damage as a bull elephant, or giving it +2 AC. They are about the same size and weight on average, and have very similar natural weaponry. If anything I would make the elephant slightly more dangerous, because it's likely more intelligent and it has the benefit of the prehensile trunk which might represent some more advanced threat (like perhaps disarming, or otherwise finely manipulating something that might threaten PCs like trap levers).

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular

Yea I mean I see why as-statted in the game as they are right now the Triceratops is way more powerful than an Elephant, justifying a much higher CR; what I meant was, as real animals, there's not (or should not be) that much difference between them. Nothing about the real animal Triceratops horridus justifies (in my opinion) making it do twice as much damage as a bull elephant, or giving it +2 AC. They are about the same size and weight on average, and have very similar natural weaponry. If anything I would make the elephant slightly more dangerous, because it's likely more intelligent and it has the benefit of the prehensile trunk which might represent some more advanced threat (like perhaps disarming, or otherwise finely manipulating something that might threaten PCs like trap levers).

Elephants have two tusks, triceratops have three

That's just science

• Options
    Nullzone wrote: »
    How to get a CR 3 t-rex: Take Giant Scorpion stat block, change name to Tyrannosaurus Rex, change Sting to Bite. Add traits from the other dinos if applicable.

And name it Yutyrannus or Lythronax or Ceratosaurus.

• Options
    you got carnotaurus, megalosaurus, Giganotosaurus, lots of good dinosaurs.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

now I have a vision of an elephant standing next to a lever in a dungeon, the party realizing they're standing on a trap door, making pleading gestures towards the elephant as it slowly reaches over to the lever with its trunk, staring straight at them elephantly...

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    a malicious light shining in its elephantine gaze

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Boatmurdered's legacy lives on

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I feel like that’s always been a problem with a certain section of D&D hosts. I wish I could just grab all the DMs that care if something is official and just say, look, Chad, we’re going to pretend the dire wolf is a dinosaur. Chad, it’s fine, we’re all playing pretend as it is!!!

I’m very fortunate to play in a D&D campaign where that kinda stuff isn’t a problem. Though I confess at the minute all we have beyond the campaign’s official setting is one made up god and ranger’s pet giant fruit bat that uses the hawk stats or something.

One time I needed a badass demon kaiju to summon to destroy a town.

I used a dragon turtle with a few extra bits stapled on. The fuckin cleric used his last spell slot on a dispel magic and aced the dispel check. I had to give him the unsommon. I'd have probably aired more towards making it undispellable if I'd actually spent the time to build a giant demon kaiju. Instead, cause I put little effort beyond imagine the scenario to place the characters in, I was totally fine with that resolution and that character is a forever badass in the campaign setting.

This discussion has been closed.