As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Space[chat] was pretty good, yea?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Why were the Mongols so able to sweep through so many regions, anyway

Same reason a lot of steppe nomads were able to. Cavalry + mounted archers + a katamari damacy ball of success.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    They should have just used machine guns, that would have showed those dang mongols

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Yea it was p good.
    you'd think somebody would just build a great big wall to stop the mongols

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Eugh, no!
    syndalis wrote: »

As I recall, their calvary, and horse strategy, was streets ahead of everyone else at the time.

Also their bows could shoot further and pierce armour more effectively. Also the guy controlling them had insane micro-management and got his villagers up digging for gold and getting upgrades a lot faster than the other players.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Maazyx, I hear you on the dick measuring thing re: work and find it gross and an instant dealbreaker

I would totally be interested in hearing about sexual assault stats on the first date though so 8-)

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I want a Spaceballs flamethrower
    Bogart wrote: »
    Chanus are you still down for the experiment on the last couple of pages of [chat]?

@Bogart absolutely!

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Mongols are always depicted as riding regular horses instead of pony sized ones.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

Weather factors happened to give them a bumper crop of big healthy horses for a while, which made them much more powerful than usual for long enough to take over China, and from there they just kept using new vassals to conquer new vassals

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    There was a fucking talking pizza in that movie.
    Internally the Mongol Empire was always very intelligently run for its time. Once they conquered people they made good use of the people and their technology.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    honestly i'm good with it every [chat] until we get a positive result or it seems clear heh

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Mongols are always depicted as riding regular horses instead of pony sized ones.

They are terrifying ponies.

3130D02A00000578-0-image-a-20_1455453807750.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    My explanation might even be true!

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I've never seen it.
    Internally the Mongol Empire was always very intelligently run

smdh the usual benevolent racism about asians

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I've never seen it.
    chanus what are you talking about

• Options
    Eugh, no!
    Geth kick @Chanus from the thread.

BEHOLD MY WHIMSICAL FURY, [CHAT]. WHO CAN SAY WHERE THE AXE MAY FALL NEXT?

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Bogart. @Chanus banned from this thread.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

If you're talking about pure conquering:
    no long and vulnerable supply train because nomads;
    horse archers were perfect military tech for the giant stretch of the world that is dry and flat from the levant to northern china; and
    if there were any trees around a city they could jury-rig siege weapons (again, no supply vulnerability to slow them down)

all of this is helped by their effective methods of assimilating conquered peoples (and their sweet tech) into the horde, feeding the loop; if it wasn't specifically GK doing the rather revolutionary political organization of the horde, it probably wouldn't have happened

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    It isn't a huge surprise that people in an area where they needed to engage in raiding to get goods got good at it.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Amazon is turning into another shitty ebay very rapidly

The Reply All podcast did a whole episode on this phenomenon, and it has a lot to do with the fact that in the past year or so, Amazon started accepting warehousing requests from 3rd parties from China and other countries more easily and with less hoops. This has led to a flooding of shitty junk under legit product pages, making it nearly impossible to know if you are buying the legit article or not.

Then there are review farms, and page rank gaming, and all sorts of other stuff that has been building up to the decline.

I feel like at some point amazon is going to spin off their retail operations into a separate, shitty company and become the pure infrastructure cloud company they truly are.

Sounds like in a few years it'd be a good idea to spin up a first party only warehouse/store system based on amazon of 2012.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

The Reply All podcast did a whole episode on this phenomenon, and it has a lot to do with the fact that in the past year or so, Amazon started accepting warehousing requests from 3rd parties from China and other countries more easily and with less hoops. This has led to a flooding of shitty junk under legit product pages, making it nearly impossible to know if you are buying the legit article or not.

Then there are review farms, and page rank gaming, and all sorts of other stuff that has been building up to the decline.

I feel like at some point amazon is going to spin off their retail operations into a separate, shitty company and become the pure infrastructure cloud company they truly are.

That woudl be... terrible. Amazon is one of the few truly excellent online things to exist and it would be a hell of a loss. :(

• Options
    #FreeChanus

• Options
    #Resist

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Also I just wanted to say that since clicking on that damn link here in chat to some small $1mil+ house in California now in every batch of local homes in my emails from redfin I get a few random ass $1mil dollar homes in California.

SO THANKS FOR THAT CHAT!

Although honestly there should be some easy way to fix that...

I think that's my fault, but it's good that everyone gets a reminder how stupid it is out here.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Chanus still gettin the next [chat]

• Options
    did Chanus just agree to his own banning

• Options
    shits getting meta

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Sounds like in a few years it'd be a good idea to spin up a first party only warehouse/store system based on amazon of 2012.

get a group of investors together to buy Sears and start this whole goddamn cycle over again.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I think they are trying to determine if this removes chanus from the running for making next [chat]

• Options
    You could probably hold ground versus amazon if you can guarantee products aren't being flooded and overrun by 3rd party sellers selling junk. Just long enough to capitalize on Sears buying you out for a few hundred million and running your business into the ground before finally filing for bankruptcy.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The next [chat] should be called the next [Chanus].

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    #FreeChanus

Yes, hello, please to give me the Free Chanus.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    @chanus you can have my chat if I get it

bowen on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    the saviour foretold, the prince of peace, chanus

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    I'm p sure steppe nomads had been good at nomadic raids on horseback for maybe a thousand years before they suddenly conquered half the world overnight

so I feel like "horse archers are strong" is at best a very incomplete explanation

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Gah the chain in our toilet keeps falling off so the toilet keeps running. Need to get a wire or something to tie that on. Damn thing.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    kedinik wrote: »
    I'm p sure steppe nomads had been good at nomadic raids on horseback for maybe a thousand years before they suddenly conquered half the world overnight

so I feel like "horse archers are strong" is at best a very incomplete explanation

sorry I amended my post to say that GK had some very interesting ideas about how political things should be run in the steppe

(no more blood feuds: losing side's leaders all got executed and all the lowbies got integrated with valid chances for promotion; GK made a big show of keeping people of different tribes and cultures by his side instead of just blood relatives; new form of accounting for loot led to a budget of sorts, etc)

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I will get the next chat and it will be called , “this is good”

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    as the strong leader that this chat needs in order to unite and overthrow Bogart,

• Options
    Eugh, no!
    If chanus ges the next [chat] I'm opening the Omega Protocols and asking Geth to solve the Liar Paradox.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I sometimes start telling an anecdote that sidetracks into another related anecdote that oh wait so back up a bit further this part is really good and anyways

im the worst I know

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
This discussion has been closed.