As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're going to need a bigger [movie] thread

19495969798100»

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    exist wrote: »
    there is no such thing as "acting skill" only b/c it's literally the easiest thing to do on earth

Gregory Peck said it was the greatest role he ever played

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I've seen enough student films that tried to do action to know that that shit takes a lot of talent and hard work to do well, and the fact that it looks effortless is a testament to being able to pull that stuff off in a believeable way. Which is 100% totally not easy.

Like, if anyone could do it (the implication being that hey, if you're pretty you can do this as well as anyone), do you honestly think this man, who looks like Jeremy Renner's grandpa--and also a cranky, sunburned poop emoji--would be the guy that's playing James Bond?

MV5BMjEzMjk4NDU4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDMyNjQzMg@@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Edit: I apologize to Mr. Craig for the mean jab.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    threat level midnight is exactly as good as terminator 2

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Actors are the least important part of good acting.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I think if someone seems like they are “not really acting” it means one or two things:

They are actually an amazing actor, or
    The script/direction doesn’t really lend itself to “acting”

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    threat level midnight is exactly as good as terminator 2

Now I'm disappointed. You said foolish, but delivered kind of edging close to slightly reckless, if that.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Boy there are some really shitty takes flying around here

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Pooro, I feel like you’re taking a bit of an overly aggressive and disingenuous approach to a legitimate misuse of the term.

Acting skill is absolutely a thing, but Inquisitor77 just didn’t use the term very appropriately.

I don't think "heck" is a particular aggressive term?

And I don't think "acting skill" is a thing, really. It seems like a not-especially-useful simplification of a lot of different shit

And I think it's lame when folks think acting in action movies is easy or not requiring skill; it deligitimizes a genre in a needless and haughty way. I'm not being "disingenuous," I'm pushing back gently against a sentiment I disagree with.

Ok aggressive was probably too much, but asking what the heck is acting skill, as if you’ve literally never heard the term before in your life, is the very definition of disingenuous.

And I agree that “acting skill” as a blanket term it’s absolutely an oversimplification, but I’m really puzzled why it wouldn’t apply on a modular level.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    we all know it's the movie thread, blank

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    The Big Lebowski is a fuck-awful film.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Pooro, I feel like you’re taking a bit of an overly aggressive and disingenuous approach to a legitimate misuse of the term.

Acting skill is absolutely a thing, but Inquisitor77 just didn’t use the term very appropriately.

And I don't think "acting skill" is a thing, really. It seems like a not-especially-useful simplification of a lot of different shit

And I think it's lame when folks think acting in action movies is easy or not requiring skill; it deligitimizes a genre in a needless and haughty way. I'm not being "disingenuous," I'm pushing back gently against a sentiment I disagree with.

Ok aggressive was probably too much, but asking what the heck is acting skill, as if you’ve literally never heard the term before in your life, is the very definition of disingenuous.

And I agree that “acting skill” as a blanket term it’s absolutely an oversimplification, but I’m really puzzled why it wouldn’t apply on a modular level.

"What the heck is this thing" is an extremely common rhetorical question expressing exasperation with a thing

I guess you could call it disingenuous, but like, that's reading a lot of malice into the post equivalent of an exasperated eyeroll

• Options

"What the heck is this thing" is an extremely common rhetorical question expressing exasperation with a thing

I guess you could call it disingenuous, but like, that's reading a lot of malice into the post equivalent of an exasperated eyeroll

It also seems like an overreaction to an otherwise innocuous misuse of a term.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

I mean, entertainment is my literal job

People take things related to their work a bit seriously

• Options

I mean, entertainment is my literal job

People take things related to their work a bit seriously

Ok yeah, fair enough

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    What the heck is going on in here?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    What the heck is going on in here?

Bad acting.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Acting is reacting, which is why I spam the agree and awesome buttons.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I guess a good actor would be someone who is good at the job of acting? Which covers a broad range of skills and such. Like most jobs, really.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Perhaps a more accurate rewording would be that most people don't go into a Bond movie expecting an Oscar-worthy performance. So, in aggregate, the relative level of acting skill required to pull off an acceptable performance as James Bond is roughly lower than that required to pull off an acceptable performance as Oskar Schindler. And when I say "acting skill" in this sense I mean "the things with which people generally associate when they say 'this is good acting' vs. 'this is bad acting', even if they don't fully understand and can't clearly articulate the reasoning behind their opinion".

Whether that relative expectation is unfair or undesirable is another question, but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that it reflects a common sentiment. Especially since I apparently struck a nerve. (For the record, I love action movies, and if anything in other threads I've been accused of having standards that are too high when it comes to how action movies should be shot, acted, and choreographed.)

I had more to say but I'm just gonna leave it at that because I'll probably just come off as a dick, and clearly the last thing this thread needs is more dick.

Hopefully I've clarified my terribly-worded thoughts on the matter of acting in James Bond movies. If I say anything in this post that makes absolutely no sense feel free to point it out and I'll be happy to try and fail once again at communicating my shitty opinions.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    As an eighth level practitioner of The Craft this 'skill' you refer to could sear the flesh from your bones

This discussion has been closed.