As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're going to need a bigger [movie] thread

24567100

Posts

  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Let the wachowski sisters direct guardians 3, and also fire johnny depp

    Wow they already have a teaser out, crazy

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGOneMdjpw4

  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Nope that's definitely still happening. It's called Jojo Rabbit and it's currently in production

    TAIKA WHY

    I actually think it looks super interesting and I have faith in his ability to extract nuance from humor.

  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I get "we need to think about them in the context in which they were said" in regards to their being around like 2010 or so

    But like

    Where's the line there? He made a joke about pedophilia and rape victims, and yeah that would have been more widely accepted then but they were still fucking monstrous and horrid. Do you give a pass to every horrible thing someone did or said because it was before everyone got more socially aware?

    It's the same kind of shit as people giving racist grandparents a pass because they were raised "in a different time".

    It's a murky issue because most people are guilty of being a horrible shitstain online, or otherwise, when they were younger (myself included) but at some point it's just an excuse to give a pass for past behavior, whether it is earned or not.

    One must also consider platform size. When all of us were shitheads, we were nobodies posting on a videogame webcomic subforum. He was already a successful Hollywood talent - he'd written Dawn of the Dead, Thirteen Ghosts, both fuckin' Scooby Doo movies. He had an audience, and chose to use that fame and attention to say some gross, ugly shit.

    Context matters on these things.

    Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I get "we need to think about them in the context in which they were said" in regards to their being around like 2010 or so

    But like

    Where's the line there? He made a joke about pedophilia and rape victims, and yeah that would have been more widely accepted then but they were still fucking monstrous and horrid. Do you give a pass to every horrible thing someone did or said because it was before everyone got more socially aware?

    It's the same kind of shit as people giving racist grandparents a pass because they were raised "in a different time".

    It's a murky issue because most people are guilty of being a horrible shitstain online, or otherwise, when they were younger (myself included) but at some point it's just an excuse to give a pass for past behavior, whether it is earned or not.

    The lady friend wouldn't even go to a baseball game recently because she would have to take her grandma and didn't want her blurting out some racist shit. She asked me what she should tell her as an excuse and I told her to say they can't go because she's a racist asshole and her behaviour and thoughts are shameful.

    She didn't tell her.

    But she should have.

    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Like does Taika Waititi seriously not have a line of credit on this

    I think most here trust him to handle it.

    But, I can see the logic behind NOT wanting to say "We just fired James Gunn for offensive tweets from 10 years ago, and we handing his movie over to the guy currently making a comedy about Hitler." If they did go for Taika, they might decide to wait until the public is more familiar with Jojo Rabbit and understands it a little more fully.

  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Man, I saw a video with that basic idea from some edgelords like 15 years ago, you need to step it up if you want to be shocking.

  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Taika should stay away from Disney because he is absolutely 100% wasted there.

  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I get "we need to think about them in the context in which they were said" in regards to their being around like 2010 or so

    But like

    Where's the line there? He made a joke about pedophilia and rape victims, and yeah that would have been more widely accepted then but they were still fucking monstrous and horrid. Do you give a pass to every horrible thing someone did or said because it was before everyone got more socially aware?

    It's the same kind of shit as people giving racist grandparents a pass because they were raised "in a different time".

    It's a murky issue because most people are guilty of being a horrible shitstain online, or otherwise, when they were younger (myself included) but at some point it's just an excuse to give a pass for past behavior, whether it is earned or not.

    One must also consider platform size. When all of us were shitheads, we were nobodies posting on a videogame webcomic subforum. He was already a successful Hollywood talent - he'd written Dawn of the Dead, Thirteen Ghosts, both fuckin' Scooby Doo movies. He had an audience, and chose to use that fame and attention to say some gross, ugly shit.

    Context matters on these things.

    I actually don't think it does, in this case. That's how you end up with people believing that celebrities exist on a higher plane of existence. I don't agree that we should be rationalizing reasons why we hold them to higher standards than we hold ourselves. It leads to their opinions being 'worth' more, and also avoids or reduces personal accountability in what we say.

  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    When I get a job at Disney directing the Devil Dinosaur movie or whatever, I hope that we can all agree that we should work together to obliterate the Penny Arcade forum database.

  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Speaking of Disney I just read that 4000 people will be laid off a with the merger with fox.

    Yeah.

    Fuck Disney.

    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I get "we need to think about them in the context in which they were said" in regards to their being around like 2010 or so

    But like

    Where's the line there? He made a joke about pedophilia and rape victims, and yeah that would have been more widely accepted then but they were still fucking monstrous and horrid. Do you give a pass to every horrible thing someone did or said because it was before everyone got more socially aware?

    It's the same kind of shit as people giving racist grandparents a pass because they were raised "in a different time".

    It's a murky issue because most people are guilty of being a horrible shitstain online, or otherwise, when they were younger (myself included) but at some point it's just an excuse to give a pass for past behavior, whether it is earned or not.

    One must also consider platform size. When all of us were shitheads, we were nobodies posting on a videogame webcomic subforum. He was already a successful Hollywood talent - he'd written Dawn of the Dead, Thirteen Ghosts, both fuckin' Scooby Doo movies. He had an audience, and chose to use that fame and attention to say some gross, ugly shit.

    Context matters on these things.

    I actually don't think it does, in this case. That's how you end up with people believing that celebrities exist on a higher plane of existence. I don't agree that we should be rationalizing reasons why we hold them to higher standards than we hold ourselves. It leads to their opinions being 'worth' more, and also avoids or reduces personal accountability in what we say.

    Saying a shitty thing to a dozen people is fundamentally different from saying a shitty thing to a couple thousand, I think.

    And I'm not sure I really grok how it reduces personal accountability to think that - could you clarify that?

  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    James Gunn issued a statement:
    “My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative," Gunn shared in a statement. "I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time.”

    "Regardless of how much time has passed, I understand and accept the business decisions taken today. Even these many years later, I take full responsibility for the way I conducted myself then. All I can do now, beyond offering my sincere and heartfelt regret, is to be the best human being I can be: accepting, understanding, committed to equality, and far more thoughtful about my public statements and my obligations to our public discourse. To everyone inside my industry and beyond, I again offer my deepest apologies. Love to all.”

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Taika should stay away from Disney because he is absolutely 100% wasted there.

    Or go to Disney and make the kind of money that means he can go do movies like Jojo Rabbit when he feels like it.

    I can't remember if it was Tim Roth or Gary Oldman who said that was basically their career. Go do whatever to make enough money to make the stuff they feel for.

    Looking at their filmography, I want to say Roth.

    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    We should talk about something more fun. The Human Centipede guy has a new film, I'll find the trailer for *reads* "The Onania Club".

    I'm now being told that if I post that... oh wow, I didn't even know Geth could do that.
    It would absolutely get someone fired from Guardians of the Galaxy 3. Don't look it up, it's not even particularly gross, just entirely in bad taste.

    THIS MAN WAS NOT KIDDING.

    That trailer is trying so hard it's pathetixly hilarious

  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Taika should stay away from Disney because he is absolutely 100% wasted there.

    I hope you just mean further work would be a waste, because Ragnarok was excellent and it gave Taika a nice cachet to get things made that he wants to make.

  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I liked Ragnarok a lot and i agree that hopefully it will give Waititi some knock-on benefits, but I do think he's a more interesting director outside the mega-studio complexes.

  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Remembering 2000's humor is hell. People loved the bro rape video back in the day.

  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Taika should stay away from Disney because he is absolutely 100% wasted there.

    Or go to Disney and make the kind of money that means he can go do movies like Jojo Rabbit when he feels like it.

    I can't remember if it was Tim Roth or Gary Oldman who said that was basically their career. Go do whatever to make enough money to make the stuff they feel for.

    Looking at their filmography, I want to say Roth.

    John Cusack said something similar. "I make stuff like Serendipity so later I can go make stuff like Being John Malkovich."

  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I will accept the premise that Ragnarok was good by typical Marvel standards, but I am confident in saying that it is by far the least interesting and worst of Waititi's movies.

  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I would unequivocally always prefer to see new original projects from creators, but I will say I did enjoy Ragnarok greatly.


    Thaaaat said, imagine if he could just make his own wild crazy scifi epic without the franchise tethers

    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Yeah Ragnarok was fun but it was still fun within the larger confines of "A Marvel movie". Not that Marvel movies are bad, but it's like seeing what an artist can do with a tub of nothing but basic lego bricks, when you know they're capable of working with more moldable materials.

    cdci44qazyo3.gif

  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I'd be happy with a world where Taika bounces back and forth between doing his wild spin on blockbuster sci-fi fantasy super hero franchise stuff and doing his weird small passion projects.

    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I get "we need to think about them in the context in which they were said" in regards to their being around like 2010 or so

    But like

    Where's the line there? He made a joke about pedophilia and rape victims, and yeah that would have been more widely accepted then but they were still fucking monstrous and horrid. Do you give a pass to every horrible thing someone did or said because it was before everyone got more socially aware?

    It's the same kind of shit as people giving racist grandparents a pass because they were raised "in a different time".

    It's a murky issue because most people are guilty of being a horrible shitstain online, or otherwise, when they were younger (myself included) but at some point it's just an excuse to give a pass for past behavior, whether it is earned or not.

    One must also consider platform size. When all of us were shitheads, we were nobodies posting on a videogame webcomic subforum. He was already a successful Hollywood talent - he'd written Dawn of the Dead, Thirteen Ghosts, both fuckin' Scooby Doo movies. He had an audience, and chose to use that fame and attention to say some gross, ugly shit.

    Context matters on these things.

    I actually don't think it does, in this case. That's how you end up with people believing that celebrities exist on a higher plane of existence. I don't agree that we should be rationalizing reasons why we hold them to higher standards than we hold ourselves. It leads to their opinions being 'worth' more, and also avoids or reduces personal accountability in what we say.

    Saying a shitty thing to a dozen people is fundamentally different from saying a shitty thing to a couple thousand, I think.

    And I'm not sure I really grok how it reduces personal accountability to think that - could you clarify that?

    Creating the comparison of 'they have more twitter followers than I do, therefore what I say matters less/what they say matters more' is a way to reduce personal accountability, or pretend what you say is less worthy or derision, or more easily redeemable by virtue of having a smaller audience. Especially after you framed it in an earlier post about whether something is 'okay now' or not being based off of the opinions of the people that were harmed by it. Dismissing the difference as 'well we were all nobodies posting on a webcomic forum' under that premise kind of shits on this idea.

  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    3clipse wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Nope that's definitely still happening. It's called Jojo Rabbit and it's currently in production

    TAIKA WHY

    This video helped me realize that I'm hopeful for this project:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62cPPSyoQkE

    That serious dramas which pretty explicitly condemn hitler and naziism very often end up being glorified by the communities being condemned because even if the subtext is against them, the visuals are still approving (American History X, and Cabaret). But comedies/dark comedies are/can be a very valid way of addressing what happened and telling a story within naziism without it being able to be co-opted as something complimentary towards the ideology.

    Edit: if you don't want to watch the whole video, chapter 6 at 26:28 is a good point to watch.

    Psykoma on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I get "we need to think about them in the context in which they were said" in regards to their being around like 2010 or so

    But like

    Where's the line there? He made a joke about pedophilia and rape victims, and yeah that would have been more widely accepted then but they were still fucking monstrous and horrid. Do you give a pass to every horrible thing someone did or said because it was before everyone got more socially aware?

    It's the same kind of shit as people giving racist grandparents a pass because they were raised "in a different time".

    It's a murky issue because most people are guilty of being a horrible shitstain online, or otherwise, when they were younger (myself included) but at some point it's just an excuse to give a pass for past behavior, whether it is earned or not.

    One must also consider platform size. When all of us were shitheads, we were nobodies posting on a videogame webcomic subforum. He was already a successful Hollywood talent - he'd written Dawn of the Dead, Thirteen Ghosts, both fuckin' Scooby Doo movies. He had an audience, and chose to use that fame and attention to say some gross, ugly shit.

    Context matters on these things.

    I actually don't think it does, in this case. That's how you end up with people believing that celebrities exist on a higher plane of existence. I don't agree that we should be rationalizing reasons why we hold them to higher standards than we hold ourselves. It leads to their opinions being 'worth' more, and also avoids or reduces personal accountability in what we say.

    Saying a shitty thing to a dozen people is fundamentally different from saying a shitty thing to a couple thousand, I think.

    And I'm not sure I really grok how it reduces personal accountability to think that - could you clarify that?

    Creating the comparison of 'they have more twitter followers than I do, therefore what I say matters less/what they say matters more' is a way to reduce personal accountability, or pretend what you say is less worthy or derision, or more easily redeemable by virtue of having a smaller audience. Especially after you framed it in an earlier post about whether something is 'okay now' or not being based off of the opinions of the people that were harmed by it. Dismissing the difference as 'well we were all nobodies posting on a webcomic forum' under that premise kind of shits on this idea.

    I think what Pooro was getting at is not so much "The larger your audience the more you matter" as it was something more like "with great power comes great responsibility". Which I think I tend to agree with. When you have a large platform, making a horrible joke is both bad taste AND mis-use of your power and platform.

    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Javen wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I get "we need to think about them in the context in which they were said" in regards to their being around like 2010 or so

    But like

    Where's the line there? He made a joke about pedophilia and rape victims, and yeah that would have been more widely accepted then but they were still fucking monstrous and horrid. Do you give a pass to every horrible thing someone did or said because it was before everyone got more socially aware?

    It's the same kind of shit as people giving racist grandparents a pass because they were raised "in a different time".

    It's a murky issue because most people are guilty of being a horrible shitstain online, or otherwise, when they were younger (myself included) but at some point it's just an excuse to give a pass for past behavior, whether it is earned or not.

    One must also consider platform size. When all of us were shitheads, we were nobodies posting on a videogame webcomic subforum. He was already a successful Hollywood talent - he'd written Dawn of the Dead, Thirteen Ghosts, both fuckin' Scooby Doo movies. He had an audience, and chose to use that fame and attention to say some gross, ugly shit.

    Context matters on these things.

    I actually don't think it does, in this case. That's how you end up with people believing that celebrities exist on a higher plane of existence. I don't agree that we should be rationalizing reasons why we hold them to higher standards than we hold ourselves. It leads to their opinions being 'worth' more, and also avoids or reduces personal accountability in what we say.

    Saying a shitty thing to a dozen people is fundamentally different from saying a shitty thing to a couple thousand, I think.

    And I'm not sure I really grok how it reduces personal accountability to think that - could you clarify that?

    Creating the comparison of 'they have more twitter followers than I do, therefore what I say matters less/what they say matters more' is a way to reduce personal accountability, or pretend what you say is less worthy or derision, or more easily redeemable by virtue of having a smaller audience. Especially after you framed it in an earlier post about whether something is 'okay now' or not being based off of the opinions of the people that were harmed by it. Dismissing the difference as 'well we were all nobodies posting on a webcomic forum' under that premise kind of shits on this idea.


    I don't think its commentary on us being less worthy people so much as suggesting that having a larger sphere of influence also entails a greater responsibility.

    Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Javen wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I get "we need to think about them in the context in which they were said" in regards to their being around like 2010 or so

    But like

    Where's the line there? He made a joke about pedophilia and rape victims, and yeah that would have been more widely accepted then but they were still fucking monstrous and horrid. Do you give a pass to every horrible thing someone did or said because it was before everyone got more socially aware?

    It's the same kind of shit as people giving racist grandparents a pass because they were raised "in a different time".

    It's a murky issue because most people are guilty of being a horrible shitstain online, or otherwise, when they were younger (myself included) but at some point it's just an excuse to give a pass for past behavior, whether it is earned or not.

    One must also consider platform size. When all of us were shitheads, we were nobodies posting on a videogame webcomic subforum. He was already a successful Hollywood talent - he'd written Dawn of the Dead, Thirteen Ghosts, both fuckin' Scooby Doo movies. He had an audience, and chose to use that fame and attention to say some gross, ugly shit.

    Context matters on these things.

    I actually don't think it does, in this case. That's how you end up with people believing that celebrities exist on a higher plane of existence. I don't agree that we should be rationalizing reasons why we hold them to higher standards than we hold ourselves. It leads to their opinions being 'worth' more, and also avoids or reduces personal accountability in what we say.

    Saying a shitty thing to a dozen people is fundamentally different from saying a shitty thing to a couple thousand, I think.

    And I'm not sure I really grok how it reduces personal accountability to think that - could you clarify that?

    Creating the comparison of 'they have more twitter followers than I do, therefore what I say matters less/what they say matters more' is a way to reduce personal accountability, or pretend what you say is less worthy or derision, or more easily redeemable by virtue of having a smaller audience. Especially after you framed it in an earlier post about whether something is 'okay now' or not being based off of the opinions of the people that were harmed by it. Dismissing the difference as 'well we were all nobodies posting on a webcomic forum' under that premise kind of shits on this idea.

    A larger platform reaches more people and is capable of doing more harm. It's not reducing personal accountability to acknowledge that there's less margin of error for fucking up when you have more eyes on you. If I fuck something up talking to my friends the number of people I potentially hurt are the number of friends I'm talking to and I can deal with the fallout of that fuckup personally. If I fuck up in front of an audience of 500,000, the sheer scale of that makes it infinitely harder to address the harm done, so I either need to be a lot more careful not to fuck up or prepared to eat a big fuckin' slice of humble pie if I do. That's without even getting into accessibility. If you fuck up on the forum it's real easy for someone to DM you and let you know you've hurt them. If you fuck up publicly on Twitter, there's potentally thousands of people you can hurt who have no real reliable way of getting redress.

    OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    yeah what they said

    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Remembering 2000's humor is hell. People loved the bro rape video back in the day.

    Yep, and that was Donald Glover.

    Just goes to show everybody has things in their past they're probably not particularly fond of, it's called maturing as a person.

  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I still think it's a little weird that the first thing I ever saw Donald Glover in was that video where the joke was that he couldn't remember what dicks looked like

  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The skit where he's a kid who poops his pants in class is still pretty great

  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I think in this case firing James Gunn and emboldening mike Cernovitch does more harm than good.

  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Donald Glover has lots of more recent shit than the Bro Rape sketch that are also not okay

    Some of the lyrics from Camp are fucking BAD and his stand up special is sexist as hell

    And I still enjoy him a lot as an actor and a musician, just as I still love Gunn's work on the GotG movies, but he shouldn't be given a free pass either just because Atlanta is amazing and he was great as Lando

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Remembering 2000's humor is hell. People loved the bro rape video back in the day.

    But GameCube, bro
    shudders

    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I get "we need to think about them in the context in which they were said" in regards to their being around like 2010 or so

    But like

    Where's the line there? He made a joke about pedophilia and rape victims, and yeah that would have been more widely accepted then but they were still fucking monstrous and horrid. Do you give a pass to every horrible thing someone did or said because it was before everyone got more socially aware?

    It's the same kind of shit as people giving racist grandparents a pass because they were raised "in a different time".

    It's a murky issue because most people are guilty of being a horrible shitstain online, or otherwise, when they were younger (myself included) but at some point it's just an excuse to give a pass for past behavior, whether it is earned or not.

    The lady friend wouldn't even go to a baseball game recently because she would have to take her grandma and didn't want her blurting out some racist shit. She asked me what she should tell her as an excuse and I told her to say they can't go because she's a racist asshole and her behaviour and thoughts are shameful.

    She didn't tell her.

    But she should have.

    I think "Your racist language is embarrassing" works better than saying "what you are doing is shameful"

    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    This bag is just filled with black dildos and axe body spray!

  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I get "we need to think about them in the context in which they were said" in regards to their being around like 2010 or so

    But like

    Where's the line there? He made a joke about pedophilia and rape victims, and yeah that would have been more widely accepted then but they were still fucking monstrous and horrid. Do you give a pass to every horrible thing someone did or said because it was before everyone got more socially aware?

    It's the same kind of shit as people giving racist grandparents a pass because they were raised "in a different time".

    It's a murky issue because most people are guilty of being a horrible shitstain online, or otherwise, when they were younger (myself included) but at some point it's just an excuse to give a pass for past behavior, whether it is earned or not.

    The lady friend wouldn't even go to a baseball game recently because she would have to take her grandma and didn't want her blurting out some racist shit. She asked me what she should tell her as an excuse and I told her to say they can't go because she's a racist asshole and her behaviour and thoughts are shameful.

    She didn't tell her.

    But she should have.

    I think "Your racist language is embarrassing" works better than saying "what you are doing is shameful"

    Hmmm

    I dunno

    When she's calling a black man an n word or calling his white wife an n word lover then I don't know how you can just say it's embarrassing.

    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I get "we need to think about them in the context in which they were said" in regards to their being around like 2010 or so

    But like

    Where's the line there? He made a joke about pedophilia and rape victims, and yeah that would have been more widely accepted then but they were still fucking monstrous and horrid. Do you give a pass to every horrible thing someone did or said because it was before everyone got more socially aware?

    It's the same kind of shit as people giving racist grandparents a pass because they were raised "in a different time".

    It's a murky issue because most people are guilty of being a horrible shitstain online, or otherwise, when they were younger (myself included) but at some point it's just an excuse to give a pass for past behavior, whether it is earned or not.

    The lady friend wouldn't even go to a baseball game recently because she would have to take her grandma and didn't want her blurting out some racist shit. She asked me what she should tell her as an excuse and I told her to say they can't go because she's a racist asshole and her behaviour and thoughts are shameful.

    She didn't tell her.

    But she should have.

    I think "Your racist language is embarrassing" works better than saying "what you are doing is shameful"

    Hmmm

    I dunno

    When she's calling a black man an n word or calling his white wife an n word lover then I don't know how you can just say it's embarrassing.

    I meant in terms of ways to get her to actually respond/feel shame about it.

    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I get "we need to think about them in the context in which they were said" in regards to their being around like 2010 or so

    But like

    Where's the line there? He made a joke about pedophilia and rape victims, and yeah that would have been more widely accepted then but they were still fucking monstrous and horrid. Do you give a pass to every horrible thing someone did or said because it was before everyone got more socially aware?

    It's the same kind of shit as people giving racist grandparents a pass because they were raised "in a different time".

    It's a murky issue because most people are guilty of being a horrible shitstain online, or otherwise, when they were younger (myself included) but at some point it's just an excuse to give a pass for past behavior, whether it is earned or not.

    The lady friend wouldn't even go to a baseball game recently because she would have to take her grandma and didn't want her blurting out some racist shit. She asked me what she should tell her as an excuse and I told her to say they can't go because she's a racist asshole and her behaviour and thoughts are shameful.

    She didn't tell her.

    But she should have.

    I think "Your racist language is embarrassing" works better than saying "what you are doing is shameful"

    Hmmm

    I dunno

    When she's calling a black man an n word or calling his white wife an n word lover then I don't know how you can just say it's embarrassing.

    I meant in terms of ways to get her to actually respond/feel shame about it.

    Oh I see what you're saying. That might work but it's not something I have the patience for. I'll talk to the lady friend though. She's clearly more patient and calm than me.

    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Hi movie thread. I watched The Room the other day. I kind of loved it.

This discussion has been closed.