As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trailers: A Brief History

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    In a weird coincidence here’s two trailers released the same day which rips of Superbad:

https://youtu.be/5d_g9Kq7irc

https://youtu.be/JkrY-jboiqA

It's funny how theye both look like tryhard movies that are produced from the same people who kind of ran their respective comedy stuff into the ground in recent years. Neither looks good (Good Boys had a funny bit with the arm out of socket) but Booksmart actually two good teen Hollywood leads (Justified girl and Ladybird friend). It just all reeks of weak, forced blue comedy.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    This is like deep impact and armageddon except both of these movies look awful.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    In a weird coincidence here’s two trailers released the same day which rips of Superbad:

https://youtu.be/5d_g9Kq7irc

https://youtu.be/JkrY-jboiqA

It's funny how theye both look like tryhard movies that are produced from the same people who kind of ran their respective comedy stuff into the ground in recent years. Neither looks good (Good Boys had a funny bit with the arm out of socket) but Booksmart actually two good teen Hollywood leads (Justified girl and Ladybird friend). It just all reeks of weak, forced blue comedy.

I can guarantee you people were saying the same thing about Superbad at the time.

Also its kind of a timeless generational premise. See: American Graffiti

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/kYZut3DWvek

Oh god a cryto movie.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    you're better than this Gabriel Cash. You can do classy low budget movies like The Art of the Steal, but this, he's probably only in it for 10 minutes.

The crypto was eye rolling enough enough, but adding the russians on top of it makes it more lolz, especially as bitcoin has been falling. Wouldn't it be the chinese at this point?

• Options
    you're better than this Gabriel Cash. You can do classy low budget movies like The Art of the Steal, but this, he's probably only in it for 10 minutes.

The crypto was eye rolling enough enough, but adding the russians on top of it makes it more lolz, especially as bitcoin has been falling. Wouldn't it be the chinese at this point?

It would probably be more reliable to be a bunch of twenty something silicon wannabes who are like office space about crime. Like googling "how to threaten people"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Makes as much sense as cryptocurrency itself.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    It looks like a fairly busy the numbers mob movie that decides to throw in a crypto angle to seem hip and current with today's world.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    That looks really corny. TV Movie corny

• Options
    Still not liking it but the trailer is actually a trailer. A by the numbers bwaaam and quick cut trailer but they at least got the setup right this time.

And maybe it's because it's still early but fuck if I know what the joke is at 1:15. I get a feeling they were going to make that person in the background Prince the musician but it's just some dude.

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

It looks like they improved the genie animation a little bit? It doesn't look gawd awful like it did in the first genie teaser.

And they just don't CGI Smith for a good portion of the movie it looks like.

Are they doing anything new? Any new songs, or new anything?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    And maybe it's because it's still early but fuck if I know what the joke is at 1:15. I get a feeling they were going to make that person in the background Prince the musician but it's just some dude.

He says, "Has anyone seen my palace?"

The joke is that "Make me a prince" could be construed as "Fabricate a prince for me."

It was ... eh.

Trailer makes it seem like the movie is channeling Bollywood hard, which is ... something, I guess.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

He says, "Has anyone seen my palace?"

The joke is that "Make me a prince" could be construed as "Fabricate a prince for me."

It was ... eh.

Trailer makes it seem like the movie is channeling Bollywood hard, which is ... something, I guess.

Ohhhhhh.....

I thought he said "y'all seen my powers?" Like it was genie making himself a prince or something.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    This should definitely had been the first impression instead of that teaser which was awful. I’ll give it a chance because it does look fun enough but golly I’m still not sure if it needed to be done because obviously the original is still just right there.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Selner wrote: »

It looks like they improved the genie animation a little bit? It doesn't look gawd awful like it did in the first genie teaser.

Probably not much! I'm expecting basically the same thing as the live-action Beauty and the Beast: "basically the same movie, but live-action. Those of us who grew up with the original will be displeased, but it'll actually land well among younger generations."

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019

Good Boys & Booksmart Trailers.

I don't have anything to add to this discussion except that I thought it was funny that they both use the exact same structure of trailer with the same music. Both look like they could be entertaining to watch once, but are the same movie. It would be better if it was a crossover, like same universe cross-paths at party type thing.
    Aladdin Trailer

I should have checked this thread before posting in the Movies thread, I think it looks okay. They nailed the visual aspect of it pretty hard, and Will as Will Smith instead of Genie with Will Smith Face is much much better. I'm willing to give it a chance anyways.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Oops double post.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Jafar does not look remotely evil enough.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

Well, they're making new money

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    That trailer looked way better than anything they released so far and has a good energy to it. I can't really find much to complain about aside from "why dey do dis??" this time around. They honestly should have just waited and sent this one out first because those first couple did the movie no favours.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    It's funny how everything I thought would be bad(Genie) looks great and what I thought would be great(Jafar) looks bad.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    It's funny how everything I thought would be bad(Genie) looks great and what I thought would be great(Jafar) looks bad.

I do not understand the Jafar casting.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    I haven't seen the original in over a decade, but was the "I didn't change anything about you on the inside" always there? I have a recollection that the animated version just leaned into the "street rat"/"diamond in the rough" and left it at that.

Because it feels like they don't trust the audience this time around, and are going for a "tell, don't show" approach instead.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Because misery loves company, I give you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlqs75o9vOk

• Options

Supposedly Jasmine is getting a new song.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Archangle wrote: »
    I haven't seen the original in over a decade, but was the "I didn't change anything about you on the inside" always there? I have a recollection that the animated version just leaned into the "street rat"/"diamond in the rough" and left it at that.

Because it feels like they don't trust the audience this time around, and are going for a "tell, don't show" approach instead.

That line wasn't in the animated movie, no.

Steam profile
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular

I never knew how much I wanted to see Batman fight Shredder before this

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I dislike that it's another "Vs" movie when they'll obviously team up, but I guess that is the shorthand now.

It's also better than "Ninja vs. Ninja vs. Ninja".

Arkham VG series spoilers:
    Looks like Joker's going to get oozed, like when he got the Titan serum at the end of Arkham Asylum. Hopefully that leads to more interesting places than the game did. His body has been through a LOT.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular

I'm on board with this movie at this point, other than how Jafar looks. I mean, the guy has always been rather feminine, but they could've maybe found someone that could be a bit more menacing.

My first thought for live action was to have Oded Fehr be Jafar, but looking him up... I realized Once Upon A Time managed to snag him for that role first.

MV5BMTc5MDU1NDUwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODgwNjkzMDI@._V1_.jpg

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I dunno. If I were going to have an adviser, I'd not want them to look evil. Like... I'd want an adviser to be mundane.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    I dunno. If I were going to have an adviser, I'd not want them to look evil. Like... I'd want an adviser to be mundane.

Sure.... but Jafar does look evil! The Sultan wasn't the smartest guy...
    m7yj8xzsbn8e.png

Steam profile
  • Options
    I know, I'm just saying I don't necessarily want the live action one to feature a Jafar with that beard...

Oh, who am I kidding, I'd kill to see that beard in live action.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    I can't get over how bored the actor playing Jafar sounds. That should the role of a lifetime! You should get to ham it up so much. Who doesn't want to be that slick, sarcastic, backstabbing bastard.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/ESYU-bkmxuI

Mel is in full rehab now. Pushing an oscar bait true story with a fake accent.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Biggest reveal in that trailer is obviously
    ...Was that Kate Bishop w/ Clint shooting arrows? Or are they just teasing us?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Kana wrote: »
    Biggest reveal in that trailer is obviously
    ...Was that Kate Bishop w/ Clint shooting arrows? Or are they just teasing us?
    Based on the sequencing I figured it was one of Hawkeye's kids, and that him in ninja gear meant that most or all of his family got Snapped.

That said I think they have been casting the kids with an eye toward the next generation, e.g. Ant-man's daughter

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Professor and the Madman is at least something different in a biopic, and I'm less worried about Mad Max than I am Spicoli.

I can't wait for the reveal that putting all those words together is impossible until they invent the letter "o" and it all makes sense.

This discussion has been closed.