As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trailers: A Brief History

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Is that a movie or is Disney just giving Fox a franchise colonic

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    There were rumours that they had three movies planned and a post-credits sequence introduced a bad guy, but you've gotta imagine any plans to do more are scrapped by now.
    The original bad guy in the credits was apparently John Hamm as Mr Sinister, and is now Antonio Banderas as maybe someone else entirely.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    At least all the characters are recognizable. Looks like they're just doing the demon bear bit from the comics, that would have been one of the very first arcs.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    At least all the characters are recognizable. Looks like they're just doing the demon bear bit from the comics, that would have been one of the very first arcs.

Demon Bear was cited as a big influence.

It went into heavy reshoots after a big response to the horror vibe of the original trailer, but the most recent word I saw was the actual release should be close to the original cut which has me hopeful we escaped some heavy studio meddling.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Looks like Amara didn't make the cut.
    "Too many blonde girls, people will get confused."
    "One catches on fire and throws magma, the other has a sword."
    "Doesn't that guy catch on fire?"
    "No, he absorbs solar energy and...."
    "Fire."
    "No....oh nevermind, cut her."

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Who they are in their super powered avatar doesnt matter because its too expensive to keep them in that cgi form.

steam_sig.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

So it's not about Keegan-Michael joining the Kingdom Hearts universe?

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the comic of Locke & Key but I can't remember much of it anymore outside of the villain hiding in plain sight too much. I remember this being a Hulu thing they passed on and Netflix grabbed, but with the way Netflix has been making shows right now I don't know how much padding this will be and how many volumes will be the first season, on top of the kids aging too fast because of the way seasonal shows are made because IIRC the comic is mostly about a year or so timewise.

edited January 2020
    skeldare wrote: »

I really liked the graphic novel. I thought it got a bit squirrely by the end, but the ending/epilogue wrapped up nicely. I think this trailer gives a lot away about the premise that takes a bit of time to stumble into in the story.

The original trailer from the pilot for fox was neat and I was excited. It never got picked up, then when trilogies were hot it was announced as a 3 movie deal, I guess that got canned and now since the hotness is netflix we are getting this. It's a really excellent story overall so I am excited for it. I already forsee people harping on it 'ripping off' stranger things with kids facing a threat adults dont understand, etc. My hope is it only needs and goes ~3 seasons to tell the whole story before netflix cancels it. Its a concise story, if they cancel it in season 3 when it needs 4(I think there are 4 volumes? Maybe 6? It could easily go into 2-4 netflix seasons) I will give up on netflix for anything. It's not like they are going into this thinking the show could just keep going and gets cut off.

Original trailer from the fox pilot that didnt get picked up. It has spoilers based on what you see in the above but gives a better idea of the dramatic setup

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    Birds of Prey trailer 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3HbbzHK5Mc

Still not feeling it, #notmyCassandra, and it feels very cheap, like it's on a studio lot for quite a bit of it. The only thing that got a smile out of me was the hyena at the end.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    am I the only one who thinks if bullet-proof murder machines were dropped all over the united states at the same time it would absolutely cause the collapse of civilization

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    am I the only one who thinks if bullet-proof murder machines were dropped all over the united states at the same time it would absolutely cause the collapse of civilization

I could see it happening yeah.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Birds of Prey trailer 2:

YT yoinked for size

Still not feeling it, #notmyCassandra, and it feels very cheap, like it's on a studio lot for quite a bit of it. The only thing that got a smile out of me was the hyena at the end.

I'm still mad they never got CCH pounder in as Amanda Waller for any live action DC stuff. She's basically the equivalent of Patrick Stewart:professor X

steam_sig.png
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Birds of Prey trailer 2:

YT yoinked for size

I'm still mad they never got CCH pounder in as Amanda Waller for any live action DC stuff. She's basically the equivalent of Patrick Stewart:professor X

To be fair, Viola Davis is a very close second to being perfect for the role.

steam_sig.png
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

I don't know about the collapse of all of civilization everywhere. I feel like there would be pockets of varying sizes with varying degrees of success, and then at some point, with the passage of time, as humanity is wont to do, those pockets would start expanding and pushing outwards again.

Really, this kind of depends on your definition of "civilization". I could certainly see things like the electrical grid and the internet breaking down, but civilization existed before either of those things.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Depends oh how quick we resort to nuking the attackers I'd think

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Ringo wrote: »

I don't think we know, but if this was like 'Earth drifted through a storm of these things like seeds that can survive entry through the atmosphere', and they were densely spread enough, plus attracted to sound (which we constantly generate a lot of), I imagine they'd tear through a whole lot of people and facilities.

Communicating to people even through text (oh god, why do so many people have keyclicks turned on in this day and age?! Not to mention notifications and perhaps even the audible element of vibrate functionality) would make it challenging to get the word out widely once someone even managed to figure out their primary sense is hearing.

Cars roaring, jets screaming to life, gunfire, people shouting, phones going off, I'm trying to imagine how many people could manage to remain silent in the midst of an alien invasion and even hiding in a basement softly whimpering to ones self might not be enough.

So, short of just going wildly nuke happy all over basically right from the hop, they'd be in the middle of populated areas pretty swiftly I'd imagine.

But that does come back to my idea of having that be the first act of the movie and the rest is society dealing with the (perhaps literal) fallout of that choice.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

I don't think we know, but if this was like 'Earth drifted through a storm of these things like seeds that can survive entry through the atmosphere', and they were densely spread enough, plus attracted to sound (which we constantly generate a lot of), I imagine they'd tear through a whole lot of people and facilities.

Communicating to people even through text (oh god, why do so many people have keyclicks turned on in this day and age?! Not to mention notifications and perhaps even the audible element of vibrate functionality) would make it challenging to get the word out widely once someone even managed to figure out their primary sense is hearing.

Cars roaring, jets screaming to life, gunfire, people shouting, phones going off, I'm trying to imagine how many people could manage to remain silent in the midst of an alien invasion and even hiding in a basement softly whimpering to ones self might not be enough.

So, short of just going wildly nuke happy all over basically right from the hop, they'd be in the middle of populated areas pretty swiftly I'd imagine.

But that does come back to my idea of having that be the first act of the movie and the rest is society dealing with the (perhaps literal) fallout of that choice.

Humanity will never be defeated by large things which are stupid, regardless of how dangerous they are.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »

Humanity will never be defeated by large things which are stupid, regardless of how dangerous they are.

Humanity will be defeated by humanity, or not at all.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Birds of Prey trailer 2:

This has a really heavy Tank Girl vibe to it.

nibXTE7.png
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    To me it's just screaming Suicide Squad 2: Just As Bad

(which. huh, would actually be a good title for a Suicide Squad sequel)

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Birds of Prey trailer 2:

This has a really heavy Tank Girl vibe to it.
    Which means it's not the real trailer.

Or at least, the movie is (intentionally) mis-represented as a means to tell a certain story.

sig.gif
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcPU3mIuUmA

Chris Rock and Timothy Olyphant in a season of fargo... I don't...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I will say that movies about a virus of some kind seem shockingly realistic in most cases. Like that's what I could see being as close to "movie true" as we get.

Like if giant robots or monsters or zombies started invading, by all means y'all can come to my homestead and live out the rest of your days in relative comfort. If it's some disease that makes you shit acid until you melt and it's airborne, I'm standing at the perimeter with a bazooka.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I will say that movies about a virus of some kind seem shockingly realistic in most cases. Like that's what I could see being as close to "movie true" as we get.

Like if giant robots or monsters or zombies started invading, by all means y'all can come to my homestead and live out the rest of your days in relative comfort. If it's some disease that makes you shit acid until you melt and it's airborne, I'm standing at the perimeter with a bazooka.

That's a terrible idea, a bazooka is just going to spew virus-laden people-chunks and acid-butt all over the place. You'd be contaminated in no time flat. What you want is a flamethrower, military-grade.

Anyway, I entirely disagree that Hollywood rarely ever does a decent job depicting the outbreak of a really dangerous virus. Something like Outbreak does a pretty decent job of showing the initial response (but obviously falls apart when you get to the "crazy rogue general is going to incinerate a town full of American citizens" part of the film), but pretty much every other disease movie ever does the lazy-ass route of just having all of society pop like a bubble a day after the virus starts. Civilizations were surviving lethal diseases before they even understood disease; people just don't flip out and turn completely feral in a week because a bad flu is going around or something, people actually work to keep civilization going because they really don't like things like getting eaten to death in the middle of the night.

Even if you had something wipe out 95% of the population in a year, the survivors are going to end up banding back together and rebuilding at least most of civilization as we know it within a century, not turning into roving packs of post-apocalyptic cannibals. The best Hollywood usually does is "this thing killed X part of the population" and just moves on, because it almost always sucks at having the disease spread in some way that doesn't involve hyper-drama or major contrivances.

• THAC0THAC0 Registered User regular
    It always makes me wonder how much it would affect society fay to day in those scenarios once things level out. Like if we lost 50% of the population how much life would change or if there is enough population based redundancy for it to make a real difference beyond being sad. It's also one of the things that pissed me off most about the last avengers movie. Just in case Spoilers
    everyone suddenly coming back would be a major problem. Like even just stuff like most of your shit has for sure been looted after that amount of time let alone things like someone is living in your house.
    I got real hung up on that stuff.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

That's a terrible idea, a bazooka is just going to spew virus-laden people-chunks and acid-butt all over the place. You'd be contaminated in no time flat. What you want is a flamethrower, military-grade.

Anyway, I entirely disagree that Hollywood rarely ever does a decent job depicting the outbreak of a really dangerous virus. Something like Outbreak does a pretty decent job of showing the initial response (but obviously falls apart when you get to the "crazy rogue general is going to incinerate a town full of American citizens" part of the film), but pretty much every other disease movie ever does the lazy-ass route of just having all of society pop like a bubble a day after the virus starts. Civilizations were surviving lethal diseases before they even understood disease; people just don't flip out and turn completely feral in a week because a bad flu is going around or something, people actually work to keep civilization going because they really don't like things like getting eaten to death in the middle of the night.

Even if you had something wipe out 95% of the population in a year, the survivors are going to end up banding back together and rebuilding at least most of civilization as we know it within a century, not turning into roving packs of post-apocalyptic cannibals. The best Hollywood usually does is "this thing killed X part of the population" and just moves on, because it almost always sucks at having the disease spread in some way that doesn't involve hyper-drama or major contrivances.

Contagion imo is the gold standard for disease outbreak movies.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Haven't seen that one because, as a molecular biologist, pretty much anything Hollywood "understands" about viruses, bacteria, DNA, or basically anything related to microbiology and genetics drives me absolutely out of my fucking mind. This is the stuff that will shape the future of the world and they can't be bothered to have more than a shallow understanding of the extreme basics which is just... ugh.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Haven't seen that one because, as a molecular biologist, pretty much anything Hollywood "understands" about viruses, bacteria, DNA, or basically anything related to microbiology and genetics drives me absolutely out of my fucking mind. This is the stuff that will shape the future of the world and they can't be bothered to have more than a shallow understanding of the extreme basics which is just... ugh.

Welcome to basically every topic ever :P . Most of us just appreciate it when it's topics we don't know enough about to know how bogus they are :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Contagion is probably better at this then you are expecting. There's even an entire scene where they have a meeting and explain R0 to some other people/the audience.

kime wrote: »

Welcome to basically every topic ever :P . Most of us just appreciate it when it's topics we don't know enough about to know how bogus they are :P

Oh yeah, I know it's the same thing people run into with their own professions, but there are limits. My sister is a mechanical engineer and she loved the shit out of Pacific Rim, and I'm sure she could come with a whole laundry list of problems for that movie that would be beyond me (and I can already come up with a solid "impossible" list).

But for things relating to genetics and whatnot, the level of understanding by the public is pretty crappy and thus Hollywood is able to get away with a really shitty level of presentation of the material when they put it in anything. It's not that they get things wrong, it's the bare minimum of effort they put into getting it right and then slathering a layer of "sex that shit up" on top of it.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Oh my god, anything related to computers or hacking or coding in movies and TV is the wooooooooooooorst.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Oh yeah, I know it's the same thing people run into with their own professions, but there are limits. My sister is a mechanical engineer and she loved the shit out of Pacific Rim, and I'm sure she could come with a whole laundry list of problems for that movie that would be beyond me (and I can already come up with a solid "impossible" list).

But for things relating to genetics and whatnot, the level of understanding by the public is pretty crappy and thus Hollywood is able to get away with a really shitty level of presentation of the material when they put it in anything. It's not that they get things wrong, it's the bare minimum of effort they put into getting it right and then slathering a layer of "sex that shit up" on top of it.

As an engineer watching pacific rim, I'd say it's a movie where there is one unrealistic aspect to the premise. The funding agency who asked for the ridiculous monster fighting devices built of impossible science actually delivered the initial and subsequent rounds of funding and only started giving random cutbacks 10 years into the program. It looks as if the team didnt have to deal with too much design creep, and actually got to build to close to the initial spec.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    As someone who has been working on Physical Security for the last two decades, let me tell you, shooting a card reader does not do shit for the ability to open the door from the other side (or dispatch, though very few shows or movies ever think of just having the dispatcher unlock it remotely, but we've been able to do that for much longer than the decades I've been working with these things), nor will it open a secured door. I guess maybe if they lined up the shot perfectly to get both at once, but it's almost always on a downward angle that makes it unlikely if not impossible.

At most, just accept that despite what you know, for some stupid reason, it works that way in this universe. Maybe a bunch of people died in a terrible fire due to being unable to get through a secured door (note; that's why maglocks, at least in Canada, are tied into the fire alarm system; if a fire is detected, they all drop, which is why fire pull stations are often found at or near maglock secured doors for egress).

I wouldn't even consider that advanced specialist knowledge. Door has two readers, you broke one of them, guess what? The other still works just fine!

Side note, while my properties don't utilize the feature, there are readers that require both a card and a pass code punched into a pad on the reader. Some systems have the ability to trigger an alert if that code is punched in incorrectly. At least one system I'm familiar with has an option to allow users to punch in a code backwards (obviously this needs a non-palindrome code) which will secure the door and make it impossible to open without help from dispatch.

It is colloquially referred to as the "take one for the team" option.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Morbius (Spoilers it doesn't say Vampire on his forehead)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eQBl3_6FKA

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

Contagion is probably better at this then you are expecting. There's even an entire scene where they have a meeting and explain R0 to some other people/the audience.

Contagion is great for this but the Jude Law blogger side plot in the movie definitely hasn't aged super well. Not in that it's unbelievable but in that the social media aspect of it is actually pretty understated. It would be neat to see a take on a similar subject but in today's climate.

Morbius just looks generic, maybe it will be Venom 2.0 and be dumb fun but outside of Mr. Mom there you don't have any humor playing off the character.

And it's not blood it's plasma a duh!

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Uh, what the fuck? That's Michael Keaton (Vulture) at the end of that trailer... so are they just going to weakly merge the two universes now?

KoopahTroopah on
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Uh, what the fuck? That's Michael Keaton (Vulture) at the end of that trailer... so are they just going to weakly merge the two universes now?

There's also a Spider-Man mural with "murderer" written over it.

This discussion has been closed.