As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump Admin Immigration Policy Thread - DACA, ICE, Kids In Cages, etc

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I mean the answer to that is that it was shitty then too and it's time it stopped.

"Oh, Obama did it too? Shit I guess its ok to lock up children in concentration camps afterall" - No One Ever.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    So, I know its often pointed out that the separation of kids from parents often occurred under the Obama administration as well, but do we know how long it took them to be reunited afterwards? Because this came up with parents the other day, and every time I tried to bring up how horrific the situation is right now, they kept pivoting to "Obama did the same thing", and if I had some stats from the Obama admin so I can cut them off and make them face this monstrosity, I'd like to be able to do so.

I was under the impression that it was unenforced policy?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Acting CBP Commissioner is leaving suddenly
    The Customs and Border Protection agency’s acting commissioner, John Sanders, will step down in early July as the government’s primary border enforcement executive, a federal official said Tuesday, a development that comes as the agency faces continuing public fury over the treatment of detained migrant children.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/us/migrant-children-border.html

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    So, I know its often pointed out that the separation of kids from parents often occurred under the Obama administration as well, but do we know how long it took them to be reunited afterwards? Because this came up with parents the other day, and every time I tried to bring up how horrific the situation is right now, they kept pivoting to "Obama did the same thing", and if I had some stats from the Obama admin so I can cut them off and make them face this monstrosity, I'd like to be able to do so.

This was NOT done during the Obama admin. This is a lie.

Obama admin had UNACCOMPANIED kids in detention centers during a sudden influx of migrants. They were placed in the centers and then released as soon as possible.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Acting CBP Commissioner is leaving suddenly
    The Customs and Border Protection agency’s acting commissioner, John Sanders, will step down in early July as the government’s primary border enforcement executive, a federal official said Tuesday, a development that comes as the agency faces continuing public fury over the treatment of detained migrant children.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/us/migrant-children-border.html
    Take his Visa away, he's a flight risk.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

I was under the impression that it was unenforced policy?

Wasn't it also one of the things the Obama Administration actively tried to stop, and ICE responde "LOL, fuck no."?

I remember hearing about several things ICE was told to stop doing, and them continuing to do it anyway.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Dunni how effective it'd be, but IMO, the answer shouod be "Who cares? It's cruel and unusual and needs to stop, no matter who "started it.""

Trying to pass the buck to with Obama obsfucates the fact this shit is STILL going on. The goal should be shutting them down now and THEN we can have the blame slap fight.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Dunni how effective it'd be, but IMO, the answer shouod be "Who cares? It's cruel and unusual and needs to stop, no matter who "started it.""

Trying to pass the buck to with Obama obsfucates the fact this shit is STILL going on. The goal should be shutting them down now and THEN we can have the blame slap fight.

Privileges the lie though.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Obama admin had UNACCOMPANIED kids in detention centers during a sudden influx of migrants. They were placed in the centers and then released as soon as possible.

Yep. There's a significant difference between an actual unaccompanied minor arriving at a port of entry alone and who you can't leave under their own recognizance unsupervised and a minor who is now "unaccompanied" because you kidnapped them from their parents.

Obama did have to address the former and didn't do a good job of it. Trump created the latter, and even after rescinding that particular policy is still doubling down on crimes against humanity and detention rather than releasing people with a court date like we did a decade ago without manufacturing a crisis.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    This, from Wayfair workers, tweet explains itself

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    This, from Wayfair workers, tweet explains itself

I just saw this. Fuck Wayfair in general but double-plus fuck them for this.
    "We make money helping people incarcerate children" sure is a tagline.

Wayfair, we've got just what you need (except freedom)

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I’m not sure where I fall on this.

Not having beds sure hasn’t stopped ICE from putting people in concentration camps.

I would rather people have beds than not.

Would definitely be a nice move if the CEO caved and donated the profits from these sales to orgs that will help the people forced to sleep on the beds.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    I understand that continuing to supply these places with furniture reduces some of the harm but it also reduces the pressure.
    It's' a judgement call but if worsening conditions are brought to light it may increase the pressure to close them down.

I worry that if there are "good" concentration camps that are fully supplied it would normalize a horrible horrible practice.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Past a certain point helping people carry out concentration camp shit is abhorrent, especially making a profit on it from the government. They aren't donating those beds, they are selling them to the Trump admin to gloss up their concentration camps, so fuck wayfair.

Hopefully enablers like Ellen and HGTV pull their support of the company but I highly doubt they will.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

Not having beds sure hasn’t stopped ICE from putting people in concentration camps.

Would definitely be a nice move if the CEO caved and donated the profits from these sales to orgs that will help the people forced to sleep on the beds.

Beds vs no beds is a false choice because the answer isn’t binary. There are a multitude of options that include not kidnapping and imprisoning children. That Warfair is enabling Trump and attempting to profit on this makes the answer easy for me, they can go pound sand till their dick chafes off.

Yes, I want these children to sleep on beds, but what I want more is these children to not be kidnapped and imprisoned in the first place.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Beds versus no Beds? The true answer is not needing to buy beds to furnish a concentration camp in the first place. It's dumb that this is another tragedy of our own making.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options

I thought about this for a bit longer thanks to this post and I've flipped around.
    This stuff should be given free or any profit should be donated to fight this practice but these people need soap, beds, chairs, etc...

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    is there any good source for exactly what companies take contracts for ICE / direct detention center stuff

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    At some point helping but feeling bad about it is just helping.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Beds vs no beds is a false choice because the answer isn’t binary. There are a multitude of options that include not kidnapping and imprisoning children. That Warfair is enabling Trump and attempting to profit on this makes the answer easy for me, they can go pound sand till their dick chafes off.

Yes, I want these children to sleep on beds, but what I want more is these children to not be kidnapped and imprisoned in the first place.

Beyond that, nobody would be having any issue if Wayfair had been donating the beds free of charge, or donating any profit made to a non-profit or legal enterprise for these kids. But they're not. They're profiting off the kidnapping and torture of children for nothing but their own pockets.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Article published a few minutes ago
    Children Remain in Dangerous Conditions on the Texas Border
    To discuss the crisis over children in Border Patrol custody, I spoke by phone with Jonathan Ryan, the C.E.O. and president of raices, a Texas-based nonprofit that provides legal counsel to immigrants.
    What do you know about the places that the children in the Clint facility were moved to?

I have no idea where they were moved to. All we know is what was reported—that they went to Health and Human Services. Where they could be in that system is anybody’s guess at this point.
    Fucking fuck fuck fuck fuck their gonna lose kids and those that die may be the lucky ones. These fucks wanna bring up human trafficking? How about the kids that are going to be lost or snatched up to be trafficked into I cant even say it's so bad. Trump and ICE need to be held accountable for all of this.

Edited to not potentially break forum rules.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Article published a few minutes ago
    Children Remain in Dangerous Conditions on the Texas Border
    To discuss the crisis over children in Border Patrol custody, I spoke by phone with Jonathan Ryan, the C.E.O. and president of raices, a Texas-based nonprofit that provides legal counsel to immigrants.
    What do you know about the places that the children in the Clint facility were moved to?

I have no idea where they were moved to. All we know is what was reported—that they went to Health and Human Services. Where they could be in that system is anybody’s guess at this point.
    Fucking fuck fuck fuck fuck their gonna lose kids and those that die may be the lucky ones. These fucks wanna bring up human trafficking? How about the kids that are going to be lost or snatched up to be trafficked into I cant even say it's so bad. Trump and ICE need to be held accountable for all of this.

Edited to not potentially break forum rules.

[Assuming the children "lost" by HHS are actually just being hidden by their families]

For the actual unaccompanied minors, aka: the ones sent here one their own to live with relatives, HHS (ORR) is the proper destination because they'll be on their way to joining those relatives.

For the "unaccompanied" minors who were ripped from their parents, especially those with no family here, this is probably just going to make it harder to ever find their family again.

Good thing DHS kept track of which is which, right?

... sigh

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The AP published a photo of a man and his 23 month old daughter who drowned in the Rio Grande.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Since discussing the alternative would get me banned, what legal, peaceable measures are people supposed to be putting their efforts into as this gets worse between now and the election?

Like, we already have large amounts of kids just straight up vanishing, and no effort to stop that seems to be doing anything because it turns out a shameless executive backed by a shameless Senate can do whatever the fuck it wants.

• Options
    The AP published a photo of a man and his 23 month old daughter who drowned in the Rio Grande.

Yeah I saw it, and I agree with the article I read on it, we need to show people this. We need people not to look away, see what our policies are doing literally murdering people and their small children because we have been able to turn away and not notice it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Since discussing the alternative would get me banned, what legal, peaceable measures are people supposed to be putting their efforts into as this gets worse between now and the election?

Like, we already have large amounts of kids just straight up vanishing, and no effort to stop that seems to be doing anything because it turns out a shameless executive backed by a shameless Senate can do whatever the fuck it wants.

The best legal, peaceable measures I've been able to manage to find are:

Going to 5calls.org, calling everyone relevant every day to say that you need them to stop allowing concentration camps in the US.

Donating to:
    RAICES - https://raicestexas.org/donate/
    National Immigration Law Center - https://nilc.org/donate/
    International Rescue Committee - https://help.rescue.org/donate
    The Florence Project - https://firrp.org/donate/
    The Southern Poverty Law Center - https://donate.splcaction.org/

If you can, make those monthly donations.

Join any protest that you can.

Nothing will feel like it is enough, but doing these things is better than not doing them.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Yep. There's a significant difference between an actual unaccompanied minor arriving at a port of entry alone and who you can't leave under their own recognizance unsupervised and a minor who is now "unaccompanied" because you kidnapped them from their parents.

Obama did have to address the former and didn't do a good job of it. Trump created the latter, and even after rescinding that particular policy is still doubling down on crimes against humanity and detention rather than releasing people with a court date like we did a decade ago without manufacturing a crisis.

It's probably worth noting that the minors were almost never unaccompanied in the sense that no one was with them.

There were usually 2 types of unaccompanied minors. Those who had paid for (or their parents had paid for) a smuggler to assist them into crossing the border. Or those who were being trafficked. Unaccompanied in this case meant "unaccompanied by parents or relatives."

In order to reduce concerns over the trafficking of minors a policy was put in place in 2008. The "William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008"

Children at the border are held in facilities, screened (over a 72 hour period) and then placed into the UAC program, which basically decided what to do with them (Deportation, foster care, living with a relative in America, etc.) There was a rather large debate at the time over the notion that deporting a minor to a war torn country they had just escaped from was "immoral" or "unethical" even if the alternative was doing something radical (eyeroll) like letting them live with a family member here in the US.

This particular crisis would continue past 2008, into Obama's presidency, and he spoke on it several times: "In recent weeks, we’ve seen a surge of unaccompanied children arrive at the border, brought here and to other countries by smugglers and traffickers" (Again just to reiterate, brought by smugglers and traffickers. These children were not alone in the traditional sense.)

This speeds us along to the current situation and crisis. The current administration has been separating children from the adults that were with them. This is what was previously happening. However in previous cases A. the children didn't actually have their real parents with them at the time, they were "unaccompanied." and B. After 72 hours of being detained the UAC would send them where they were supposed to go. The major differences are somewhat evident, the current administration is continuing to A. Keep the children separated even from their actual parents/relatives whereas the UAC usually sent the children to said family, and B. Detaining the children for much longer than 72 hours.

It's probably also important to point out that briefly separating a children from the adults with them so you can quickly double check that the child isnt currently being trafficked is a sensible and frankly humane thing to do. Separation in this case should involve like, a side room, and 3 minutes of questioning. Not an entire facility and weeks/months of that child being apart from their actual fucking parents.

Anyways, I hope that clears up somewhat the differences between the scope of child separation over the last 10 years.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019

This is currently on CNN's front page as it's number 1 story. No blurring or hiding the image behind a click.

Veevee on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Good. It’s horrifying and people need to see what they voted for.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

I hope it wakes some people up. But you know there's a good portion of the country that'll look at it and either be happy it happened, or justify it as "Well... they shouldn't have broken the law.".

So tired of so many awful people.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    GOOFUS promotes a racist and illegal immigration policy

GALLANT always shows solidarity with the oppressed

Highlights is that magazine in your Dr's waiting room.

• Options
    Good for them. I mean its a company doing PR of course, but in this climate its still a brave statement knowing this will get like an official rebuke from the Senate GOP about the fascist highlights magazine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Facebook blurs the image, and I can't figure a way around the filter since it is not graphic, just horrible.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Facebook blurs the image, and I can't figure a way around the filter since it is not graphic, just horrible.

Facebook is the worst, so this checks out

Figures they will give a megaphone to hate speech against immigrants while censoring the results of that hate speech

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    GOOFUS promotes a racist and illegal immigration policy

GALLANT always shows solidarity with the oppressed

Highlights is that magazine in your Dr's waiting room.

They should release a highlights talking about this so that kids can ask their parents why they support separation of families.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Survivors of Japanese internment camps, and their descendants, protesting, sharing their stories, and risking arrest, outside of an army post that was used for Japanese internment and is now going to be used to hold immigrant children, as a military police officer screams at them to leave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAp4IS3JSxE

wandering on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Ah yes, ye olde arrest former interment camp prisoners for protesting interment camps ploy, as we all know how justified that is!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Ah yes, ye olde arrest former interment camp prisoners for protesting interment camps ploy, as we all know how justified that is!

No, it's great because they straight up ask him if he will arrest them if they refuse to move and he says "No" so they just fucking ignore him.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

No, it's great because they straight up ask him if he will arrest them if they refuse to move and he says "No" so they just fucking ignore him.

Yeah play it with the audio on. It's kind of hilarious if it wasn't so infuriating.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Yeah play it with the audio on. It's kind of hilarious if it wasn't so infuriating.

It's interesting because I flinched when the military dude started yelling, only then to see him be revealed as completely toothless.

This discussion has been closed.