As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everybody get up, it's time to Ham now [Overwatch]

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    My problem is DJ Khaled doesn’t actually perform anything

His entire role is basically executive producer, getting a bunch of big names to appear together on a track and letting them do all of the performing

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Broke down and cracked the boxes to get thru to some hamtaro items. Pre-hamtaro had 46 boxes built up. 2 new items total in those 46. And also learnt I was caught up on purples cause all purples until ham were dupes too.(just under 3k total in coin)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    If you care about getting the sprays, be sure to tune in anyway (and then just do something else until the actual matches start). You get one spray after watching for 1.5 hours on Friday, then a second at 3 hours. Then a third spray for watching 1.5 hourson Saturday, and a fourth at 3 hours.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Sometimes, everything goes according to keikaku
    https://youtu.be/ohScXpWvie0
    keikaku means plan

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »

lol more time for me to stand in line at the nyxl pop-up shop i suppose

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    One of my twitch prime Hammond loot boxes had a purple

currency.

:/

Same.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hmm...Hammond is interesting. Will take a while to figure out what team comps he fits in. I see why people throw around triple tank dive a lot as that's the most obvious.

New Sombra is...interesting. You can play in ways you couldn't before but not sure if any of her biggest problems were fixed.

The hitscan buffs are nice. Probably the most noticeable on McCree and Mei. I also noticed myself getting ult more often with Mei and being able to scare snipers which was pretty good.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    hot take: the hamsterman...... is fun

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Note to self: A hamster behind a wall is a dangerous thing.

https://youtu.be/WxxtW0R3pNc

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I think if you land directly on someone with Hammond's slam, they should be flattened like a Super Mario Kart character getting hit by a Thwomp.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

I am not a fan though
    He is fun but I also think he is a mistake they made because the jet cat joke was popular they thought what they could do in place of it and ta da a hamster
    But in general I just am not fond of him

Brainleech on
  • Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    I was wondering what you were laughing at Baidol.

• Options
    Look Zen is basically a giant baseball

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

I am not a fan though
    He is fun but I also think he is a mistake they made because the jet cat joke was popular they thought what they could do in place of it and ta da a hamster

Yeah, a genetically-modified animal with genius intellect is definitely a bridge too far, I just can’t buy into this game’s fiction anymore

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    When Hammond can get into a place where he can infinity swing (like around a pole) he's very annoying just because he has so much HP and it's hard to dps him quick enough, especially if any enemy healers are around.

I've taken to just going McCree and flashbanging him out of that nonsense, though I am sure there are other solutions.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    ive found him extremely easy to melt

it must depend on the type of healer he has in his pocket

i still feel pretty strongly that hammond is easily countered, and sometimes easily ignored, but then again, it could be awhile before the real hammond shows up in my games

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I've been trying to play for a couple days now but unable to get past the login screen

apparently this happens on console to some people everytime there's a new patch. I guess it was my turn.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

I am not a fan though

Yeah, a genetically-modified animal with genius intellect is definitely a bridge too far, I just can’t buy into this game’s fiction anymore

Actually yeah I think thats pretty much why I hate his design

His mechanics seem cool though

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

I am not a fan though

the wrecking ball concept predates jetpack cat fwiw

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

I am not a fan though

You realize that describes Winston, as well, right?

• Options

I am not a fan though

:rotate:

• Options

I am not a fan though

Yes I definitely understood Fargs incredibly clever skewering of the criticism of the Hammond

Winston is a gorrilla though, and they're basically as smart as young humans as it is so in a scifi world its not really that nuts

Hamsters are the goldfish of the mammal world though, and a supersized one with a genius intellect in a giant ball is a bridge too far for me to think the design is anything but dumb as heck

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    you know whats even dumber than hamsters right now

computers

and yet: bastion

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    kwoaru how dare you not like a thing

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    look, if we're willing to accept that McCree can go around being an elite agent while dressing up as a cowboy and everyone takes him seriously, I can handle superscience making more than one type of animal smart.

• Options
    look, if we're willing to accept that McCree can go around being an elite agent while dressing up as a cowboy and everyone takes him seriously, I can handle superscience making more than one type of animal smart.

Well....

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I just don’t think there’s anything Blizzard could do that would make me think they've gone too weird. Overwatch is already ridiculous.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    overwatch was already a game in which a gorilla moon scientist electrocutes a French zombie sniper assassin debutante to death so uh

yeah, "THIS hero is TOO SILLY" is strange to me

• Options
    Everybody has their own line man, mine is apparently after the talking gorilla scientist but before the awful overgrown rat whose entire character is built around dumb joke ideas

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Jeff said Hammond was divisive internally, it's not ridiculous to say he's more cartoony than the rest of Overwatch. However, something to keep in mind is that gorillas are already smart, and Winston is a supergenius who invented time travel. Hamsters are stupid, and Hammond is just a normal mechanic.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Everyone has their own Pandaria, let Kwoaru have his. This may or may not be mine depending on what comes next.

Einzel on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Pushing the Agree button doesn't feel like enough, so I'll say that I also got that "now you've absolutely jumped the shark" feeling when I first saw the Hammond trailer. I'll give that you Overwatch hasn't always taken itself seriously. We have the Summer Games, Halloween event, Christmas costumes, and all the forced pop-culture references direct quotations that Blizzard can't help but put in their games. At the same time, it feels like Overwatch tries to play its lore absolutely straight. Its setting is a world where millions upon millions of people died in a war with runaway strong AI. Their character stories involve assassinations, people living outside the law to the do the right thing, former allies turning into bitter enemies, and so on. It has fantastic elements, but they felt just this side of achievable. Maybe we could stumble into strong AI in the next century. Maybe a miraculous advance in genetic manipulation techniques and an international drive to conquer the problem of long-term engagement in space could put a science lab with gorillas who can think and speak at a human level on the moon. Hammond just feels that little bit too far across the line, where the goofiness bleeds into the main part of the design.

Just typing it out extemporaneously like that, I think that is the pain point. Overwatch presents its lore seriously and adds a bunch of goofy shit into the game because video game logic is fundamentally absurd to begin with. Hammond feels like a character who's intrinsically goofy on a lore level in a way that clashes with what's already there.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    OK but Hammond is my wonderful hamster son and I cherish him so

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Hammond is a shark jump yes, but Shark Jumping is what drew me to Overwatch in the first place after a decade of the only options being super realistic shooters that use color pallettes containing only green and brown and all this other crap dumped into video games with the intent of realism ( My life is realism, I play video games to ESCAPE LIFE)

Then here comes Overwatch with it's insane guns and abilities, like Overwatch has been out a while now so people have kinda forgotten, but even something like Pharah was bonkers to an old fps'r

"You mean there's a character who can fly and shoot a rocket launcher? and she has unlimited ammo? and she's somehow in the lower end of the powerful classes even then? what is this game!"

So bring it on, anytime Overwatch is starting to feel like it's levelling into something normal, give me animated hamsters and jetpack cats and dive into keeping this game just that right kind of stupid dumb.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    imo the issue is that jetpack cat could be anything, but hamster in a giant ball is like well of COURSE he's going to do rolly hamster ball things!!! there's no surprises here!!!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I don’t know that I saw spider-man wrecking ball spider-tank coming at all, actually

• Options
    well that's a problem with your own vision isn't it!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I think that Overwatch stuff is kind of at its worst when it takes its lore seriously, because its lore is generally pretty stupid. BUT. Everyone draws the line on that stuff at different points.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I don't see how Jetpack Cat could be anything but a Pharah knockoff