As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mods know too much about the [Conspiracy Theories] thread

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    That pretty sad.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I assume he's filming a bit for his show? There's a cameraman with him.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    No doubt everyone knows that a bomb was sent to George Soros a few days ago. It appears a second device was sent to Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Of course it’s far too early to say, but for me personally that particular combination of people makes it far more likely that the culprit is someone who has fallen for the whole Q thing.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Obama has also gotten an explosive device sent to him today.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

OMG seriously?! I hadn’t seen anything on that.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

OMG seriously?! I hadn’t seen anything on that.

CNN reporter:

DqRu2RDXQAEzmZH.jpg

• Options
    Yeah, BBC are carrying it now. Damn. Three devices. I hope they can catch then quickly.

Anyway, it’ll take a long time to investigate but I would be shocked if Q -/ Alex Jones’ stupid theories etc turn out not to be the motive. Which means I expect there’ll be more coverage of these conspiracies for the next while.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Yeah, BBC are carrying it now. Damn. Three devices. I hope they can catch then quickly.

Anyway, it’ll take a long time to investigate but I would be shocked if Q -/ Alex Jones’ stupid theories etc turn out not to be the motive. Which means I expect there’ll be more coverage of these conspiracies for the next while.

It will certainly confuse me more if it's actually a conspiracy nut, because why would they think they could slip one, let alone three, past the Illuminatti?

But then again, their current dogma is such that the enemy is all powerful yet unable to crack Q's fucking n-Chan hash.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    As someone on Twitter pointed out, it's easy to blame this on 4chan or Q, but it's also the triumvirate of people that FOX has been telling their viewers are responsible for all their ills.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    AP reporter:

Politico reporter:

Someone should get a serial bomber thread up at this point.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    The breaking news banner on CNN indicates that a suspicious device addressed to the White House was also intercepted AND the NYPD is responding to a suspicious package at Time Warner Center.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    There is a dedicated thread for discussing these bomb threats here.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Re: the synagogue shooting. The shooter was not a QAnon follower... because they believe that QAnon is a Jewish psyop. Mr Bones' wild ride never ends.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Re: the synagogue shooting. The shooter was not a QAnon follower... because they believe that QAnon is a Jewish psyop. Mr Bones' wild ride never ends.

He was *this* close. In two different ways, even.

This brand of conspiracy theorist has always struck me as the most volatile. There was a prominent one in the chemtrail community who accused major chemtrailers of being secret shills, and he ended up self destructing in a massive meth and coke bender earlier this year.

There's a certain "friends at the end of the world" vibe in conspiracy communities, and I believe it moderates some of their behavior. But when those friends are just more enemies in a universe of them and you are truly alone, who knows where that though process can take an unhealthy mind.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I do wonder whether "conspiracy theorist" should be studied as a personality disorder. It ruins the lives of the afflicted and those they come in contact with as much as any narcissist or someone with borderline personality disorder.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I do wonder whether "conspiracy theorist" should be studied as a personality disorder. It ruins the lives of the afflicted and those they come in contact with as much as any narcissist or someone with borderline personality disorder.

It's covered by Paranoid Personality Disorder. There are also a bunch of psychotic disorders that cover delusions or whatever.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    It's a nice idea but it's hard to regulate what people believe. Belief in conspiracy theories can be an indicator of psychological problems, but plenty of normal people believe them too. E.g., the ever popular JFK or moon landing beliefs. Or even stuff like Bigfoot or UFOs. They're generally harmless... But when mental illness is thrown into the mix it gets pretty bad.

But belief in conspiracy theories is usually a sign of weak epistemology, not mental illness.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Mental illness is a vague concept. Its loosest definition is a cognitive process that impairs a person's functioning. The reason that DSM exists is mainly to restrict the number of conditions that fit under this overbroad definition so doctors can't bill for just anything.

Currently, the mildest form that something like belief in conspiracy can be is delusional disorder. However, the belief cannot be broadly accepted in culture to qualify. Hence, you can have a fixed false belief like racism, and it won't qualify as a billable mental disorder because it's a commonly held belief. You can even find a cure for it and you still won't be able to bill for it, because philosophically you can't use an individual cure for a social disease. So the medical side of research is pretty much at a dead end until we can figure out the social side.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    It's a nice idea but it's hard to regulate what people believe. Belief in conspiracy theories can be an indicator of psychological problems, but plenty of normal people believe them too. E.g., the ever popular JFK or moon landing beliefs. Or even stuff like Bigfoot or UFOs. They're generally harmless... But when mental illness is thrown into the mix it gets pretty bad.

But belief in conspiracy theories is usually a sign of weak epistemology, not mental illness.

That's not even getting into religions. It's considered incredibly rude to actually call them that, but are they really anything else?

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

That's not even getting into religions. It's considered incredibly rude to actually call them that, but are they really anything else?

Religion is a form of mass delusion but not a conspiracy theory. A conspiracy theory has to be something that only a few people on the fringes of society believe, or that flies in the face of science or historical record.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

Yeah.

• Options
    furlion wrote: »

Religion is a form of mass delusion but not a conspiracy theory. A conspiracy theory has to be something that only a few people on the fringes of society believe, or that flies in the face of science or historical record.

...Except not because some conspiracy theories are proven true. Like, that's the thing about conspiracies: sometimes they exist.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

...Except not because some conspiracy theories are proven true. Like, that's the thing about conspiracies: sometimes they exist.

So few of them end up being true, either as a total number or a percentage, that I am fine with my definition.

• Options
    edited October 2018

So few of them end up being true, either as a total number or a percentage, that I am fine with my definition.

That only depends on what you are defining as a "conspiracy" to begin with.

Something doesn't require some sort of supernatural element or hidden world order in order to qualify as a conspiracy.

The Tuskegee syphilis experiments were a conspiracy. Project Azorian was a conspiracy.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    A conspiracy theory has to be something that only a few people on the fringes of society believe, or that flies in the face of science or historical record.
    I strongly disagree with this statement. Many conspiracy theories are mainstream and popular.

• Options
    A conspiracy theory has to be something that only a few people on the fringes of society believe, or that flies in the face of science or historical record.
    I strongly disagree with this statement. Many conspiracy theories are mainstream and popular.

Such as the conspiracy theory that Russia meddled in the 2016 elections.

• Options
    That's a good one. I was thinking of the classics like the government suppression of UFOs, 9/11, JFK, the moon landings etc.

Belief in UFOs isn't necessarily a conspiracy theory, but belief in the suppression of info by the government is.

8-25% of people have doubts about the moon landing.
    61% of Americans believe in some kind of JFK conspiracy theory.

Oh, man, I just remembered one I regularly hear, that the petrol companies suppressed a water powered car.

• Options
    I wrote out a long post but I stand by my definition. It fits almost all of them and arguing over what is and is not a conspiracy theory is not something I am interested in doing.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    That's a good one. I was thinking of the classics like the government suppression of UFOs, 9/11, JFK, the moon landings etc.

Belief in UFOs isn't necessarily a conspiracy theory, but belief in the suppression of info by the government is.

Oh, man, I just remembered one I regularly hear, that the petrol companies suppressed a water powered car.

I knew a fairly smart guy who was convinced in these schematics he got off the internet that would make his car engine break down water for the hydrogen and add 50 mpg by burning it with the gas

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I assume that comes from someone misunderstanding hydrogen fuel cells, which never took off because it never got cheap enough and nobody put out any infrastructure.

Meanwhile electric is happening because batteries have gotten good enough and the infrastructure is already there.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

I assume that comes from someone misunderstanding hydrogen fuel cells, which never took off because it never got cheap enough and nobody put out any infrastructure.

Meanwhile electric is happening because batteries have gotten good enough and the infrastructure is already there.

It's more about the infrastructure than anything else since you can charge a battery anywhere you have electricity, but where do you refill hydrogen?

California, apparently:
    https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/10/the-2019-hyundai-nexo-is-an-upmarket-hydrogen-fuel-cell-suv/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

That only depends on what you are defining as a "conspiracy" to begin with.

Something doesn't require some sort of supernatural element or hidden world order in order to qualify as a conspiracy.

The Tuskegee syphilis experiments were a conspiracy. Project Azorian was a conspiracy.

Watergate was a major one that helped justify a lot of “the government is out to get us” conspiracies.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Such as the conspiracy theory that Russia meddled in the 2016 elections.

It stops being a conspiracy theory when someone is indicted for it. Then it's a conspiracy charge.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

It's covered by Paranoid Personality Disorder. There are also a bunch of psychotic disorders that cover delusions or whatever.

Its interesting, though, because that doesn't quite cover it. Certain conspiracy theories may originate in the mind of someone with PPD, but they turn it into a communicable disease. That susceptibility vector is distinct from what takes root in it.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    would it be possible to use hydrogen fuel cells in power plants? burning hydrogen to power steam turbines i guess?

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    would it be possible to use hydrogen fuel cells in power plants? burning hydrogen to power steam turbines i guess?

Only if you could find a natural source of hydrogen (and it doesn't stick around on planets this small). It takes slight more power to create it from water than you get back by burning it.

In other words, thermodynamics does not like your idea.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    well poop. someday, though! there's plenty of hydrogen in the solar system and i can see it still being useful as fuel even into the future. it's good enough for stars after all!

the trouble is getting to it, but that's solvable. unless we just never get the chance.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Thermodynamics, the pooper of every party.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Helium has a similar issue, it’s so light that it floats to the top of the atmosphere where solar wind blows it off the planet.

I believe I read an article where helium is probably gonna get more expensive as the supply runs lower. I know of an anecdote where someone on these forums that I think is a chemist or something and they get pissed every time they see a helium filled balloon.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    big ass zeppelin-style mining rigs on jupiter

floating cities, sailing hundreds of miles above the precious liquid hydrogen that they mine

This discussion has been closed.