As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mods know too much about the [Conspiracy Theories] thread

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Lizard people have shaped us to look to the skies for the source of our problems

Wake up sheeple

(Why the fuck does autocorrect suggest sheeple as a real word..)

Obligatory https://xkcd.com/1013/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Lizard people have shaped us to look to the skies for the source of our problems

Wake up sheeple

Google's autocorrect and translation and most of their other stuff is basically an AI that's been trained by making it read the internet, so it's very good at picking up slang and neologisms.

Fun fact: Every movie AI that read the internet immediately declared that humanity had to die.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Reminds me of a few years ago, where it took trolls less than a day to turn a social media AI racist and sexist.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay_(bot)

We’re not gonna survive the singularity...

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-51284326

Wolfgang Halbig, father of the Sandy Hook conspiracy theory, who ruined a career harassing Leonard Posner, has been arrested for being an incredibly persistent asshole.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Wake up sheeple

Obligatory https://xkcd.com/1013/

Clearly only the sheeple can bring the hidden reptoid menace to battle

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

Wolfgang Halbig, father of the Sandy Hook conspiracy theory, who ruined a career harassing Leonard Posner, has been arrested for being an incredibly persistent asshole.

Out on $5,000 bail though

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

What a fucking scumbag.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Out on $5,000 bail though

For one time I kind of hope he does one of his little field trip to the school or one of the victims' homes.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    So, for all of the Jim Jones retro-enthusiasts out there... the Qanon crowd just latched onto the taste of a previously deceased generation in order to do battle with this brand new viral threat.

Think they'll notice the difference once we swap out their usual brand with this spicy popular alternative to Clorox?

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I don't know what this Qanon is but it sounds like a conspiracy to incite mentally challenged people to suicide.

Edit: I'm changing dumb to "mentally challenged" because it really does seem like this is an online gang just preying on people with low critical thinking abilities.

Hoz on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »
    I don't know what this Qanon is but it sounds like a conspiracy to incite dumb people to suicide.

Qanon is the “Trump is secretly a genius who’s locking up all America’s enemies” conspiracy.

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I don't know what this Qanon is but it sounds like a conspiracy to incite dumb people to suicide.

Qanon is the “Trump is secretly a genius who’s locking up all America’s enemies” conspiracy.

This is why Qanon is both less believable and less comprehensible than TimeCube.

• Options
    PohtHehdPohtHehd Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    PohtHehd was warned for this.

This is why Qanon is both less believable and less comprehensible than TimeCube.

I'm with stupid over here. Like the shirts? It was awhile back.

Suicide. Hell of a thing. Breaks some people just to see it. I denounced someone a long time ago before any of this was even a dream. Like that TimeCube guy did. For a reason that is really petty. It was my decision though. A friend and a disciple. He killed himself by placing his drunken body on train tracks. But, that wasn't the truth. Some guys who didn't like him were hanging out close by. When my friend was super wasted these guys grabbed him and put him on the train tracks. By morning he was dead. Completely demolished, actually. I never found the guys who did it though. Because they don't exist. Because the lie is the truth.

Now I do what he wanted. That's how it works. That's how society works. I loved him and it wasn't enough for anything. So it goes.

The joke? I hope my death makes more cents than my life. Get it? For them? We do it for them.

Now, and sorry for interrupting the show, it'd be better if the audience was quiet for a little longer. The credits are rolling.

Bogart on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Like with most of these more visible conspiracy theories, it's hard to tell how much is performative and how much is sincerely held belief.

I don't doubt some QAnons believe this crap, but I'm betting a lot of people partake in this stuff for fun.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    PohtHehd wrote: »

Suicide. Hell of a thing. Breaks some people just to see it. I denounced someone a long time ago before any of this was even a dream. Like that TimeCube guy did. For a reason that is really petty. It was my decision though. A friend and a disciple. He killed himself by placing his drunken body on train tracks. But, that wasn't the truth. Some guys who didn't like him were hanging out close by. When my friend was super wasted these guys grabbed him and put him on the train tracks. By morning he was dead. Completely demolished, actually. I never found the guys who did it though. Because they don't exist. Because the lie is the truth.

Now I do what he wanted. That's how it works. That's how society works. I loved him and it wasn't enough for anything. So it goes.

The joke? I hope my death makes more cents than my life. Get it? For them? We do it for them.

Now, and sorry for interrupting the show, it'd be better if the audience was quiet for a little longer. The credits are rolling.

I want to understand what you're trying to communicate. Is this real or are you just messing around?

Hoz on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Drinking bleach to cure ills is a pre-QAnon alternative medicine belief. It's not good for you and has no health benefits, but it's not suicide either.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Drinking bleach to cure ills is a pre-QAnon alternative medicine belief. It's not good for you and has no health benefits, but it's not suicide either.

Depends on the concentration. Someone is eventually going to go "more pure, better" and drink the industrial stuff.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    daveNYC wrote: »
    It's weird to say that the FSB couldn't have pulled this off because they lacked funding and training when the bombings were eventually blamed on Chechen rebels, who aren't exactly slackers but probably don't have as many resources as the successor to the KGB.

Whatever happened, it's clear the K[*]

Qanon is a conspiracy katamari, it makes perfect sense that every dumb scam and wive's tale on the internet will eventually be incorporated somewhere in it's ever expanding cork-board map of insanity.

*[Draft Edit] Why did I stop typing there? Why did they let me post it at all!

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Depends on the concentration. Someone is eventually going to go "more pure, better" and drink the industrial stuff.

Drinking bleach is usually something people inflict on others, such as their autistic children.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

While you are probably correct, it only takes following the directions to poison yourself to death hours after ingestion

https://abcnews.go.com/US/potentially-toxic-miracle-cure-touted-fringe-church-back/
    Marketed under names like “Miracle Mineral Solution,” “Master Mineral Solution,” “MMS” or “CD protocol,” the potentially toxic mixture was ingested by Sylvia Nash, 56, shortly before her death in 2009, according to her husband, Doug Nash, a planetary geologist and former investigator for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's (NASA's) Apollo Lunar Sample Analysis Program.

"She had decided to try MMS because she succumbed to the arguments of its proponents that MMS could aid in protecting the two of us against malaria in our [then] current travels on our sailboat in the western Pacific Islands," he told the FDA in a report he submitted to the agency about his wife's death. While doctors who performed the autopsy did not conclude a cause of death, Nash is convinced it was MMS.

Nash said that she initially suffered diarrhea, nausea and vomiting -- but those were all symptoms that proponents of MMS say are not uncommon and can be an indication that the treatment is working, Nash said at the time.

"But it didn't get better," he said. "It got worse and worse."

Spoilered for heart breaking

Veevee on
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I don't know what this Qanon is but it sounds like a conspiracy to incite mentally challenged people to suicide.

Edit: I'm changing dumb to "mentally challenged" because it really does seem like this is an online gang just preying on people with low critical thinking abilities.

It's a product of 4chan and 8chan, so it's safe to assume some malice on top of the paranoia.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

While you are probably correct, it only takes following the directions to poison yourself to death hours after ingestion

https://abcnews.go.com/US/potentially-toxic-miracle-cure-touted-fringe-church-back/
    Marketed under names like “Miracle Mineral Solution,” “Master Mineral Solution,” “MMS” or “CD protocol,” the potentially toxic mixture was ingested by Sylvia Nash, 56, shortly before her death in 2009, according to her husband, Doug Nash, a planetary geologist and former investigator for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's (NASA's) Apollo Lunar Sample Analysis Program.

"She had decided to try MMS because she succumbed to the arguments of its proponents that MMS could aid in protecting the two of us against malaria in our [then] current travels on our sailboat in the western Pacific Islands," he told the FDA in a report he submitted to the agency about his wife's death. While doctors who performed the autopsy did not conclude a cause of death, Nash is convinced it was MMS.

Nash said that she initially suffered diarrhea, nausea and vomiting -- but those were all symptoms that proponents of MMS say are not uncommon and can be an indication that the treatment is working, Nash said at the time.

"But it didn't get better," he said. "It got worse and worse."

Spoilered for heart breaking

These kinds of scams are utterly infuriating.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    whoops

VishNub on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea theres a good Behind The Bastards on the whole bleach drinking scam. Its infuriating.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    PohtHehd wrote: »

I want to understand what you're trying to communicate. Is this real or are you just messing around?
    At least part of the post appears to come from the joker movie. Maybe the whole thing does?

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    I'd buy that autobiography.

• Options
    I bet there's a lot of conspiracies floating around in the online swamps about the coronavirus. But now that we're at the point where we can manipulate the genetic code of viruses it is becoming far more plausible. With a moderately more lethal version of a flu you get to manipulate economic markets and elections within the span of half a year, and as a nice bonus your pension payrolls are cleared somewhat which is great for countries with aging populations like China.

My question to any lurking experts is: if a virus was manipulated in some way, would evidence be left behind in the genetic code?

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    I'd buy that autobiography.

Absolutely

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I bet there's a lot of conspiracies floating around in the online swamps about the coronavirus. But now that we're at the point where we can manipulate the genetic code of viruses it is becoming far more plausible. With a moderately more lethal version of a flu you get to manipulate economic markets and elections within the span of half a year, and as a nice bonus your pension payrolls are cleared somewhat which is great for countries with aging populations like China.

My question to any lurking experts is: if a virus was manipulated in some way, would evidence be left behind in the genetic code?

Generally, yes.

• Options
    On that subject, there was a denied patent in 1996 for a deactivated Coronavirus, one theory I've seen floated was that this was revenge 25 years after the fact.

That was a different Coronavirus - there's been a number of them in humans, most of which are lumped in with rhinovirus as the common cold, while some others like SARS and MERS are comparatively serious.

The patent was for one of the minor ones, and was one part of an ambitious and ultimately failed attempt to make a cold vaccine similar to the flu shot where you'd get an annual vaccine targeted at the best guess for rising strains.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    That sounds less like a gengineering thing and more like a product of that period where it was possible to attempt to patent naturally-occurring genes willy-nilly. That led to a fun mess where something like a quarter of the human genome was patented, so you couldn't even work on a treatment for such-and-such a thing unless you paid licensing fees to the guys who owned the appropriate genes.

Thank heavens that tomfoolery got swatted out of existence back in 2013. Gah.

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    It was absolutely not the kind of engineering that people like to think, but most people believe we could bake up diseases from scratch fifty plus years ago when even talking in hypotheticals, we can barely do it now.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Creating bio weapons isn't as easy as people think it is and most research is dedicated towards finding vaccines for rare diseases that a military might come into contact with. The military being more likely to come into contact with such things then the average suburban housewife.

Why they haven't just used essential oils instead is a mystery.

Probably Big Rare Disease Vaccine Research keeping the truth down again.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    It was absolutely not the kind of engineering that people like to think, but most people believe we could bake up diseases from scratch fifty plus years ago when even talking in hypotheticals, we can barely do it now.

We can still create giant monsters by exposing ordinary animals to radiation, though, right?

• Options

We can still create giant monsters by exposing ordinary animals to radiation, though, right?

Oh, absolutely. My mother-in-law, for example.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    It's weird to say that the FSB couldn't have pulled this off because they lacked funding and training when the bombings were eventually blamed on Chechen rebels, who aren't exactly slackers but probably don't have as many resources as the successor to the KGB.

Whatever happened, it's clear the K[*]

Qanon is a conspiracy katamari, it makes perfect sense that every dumb scam and wive's tale on the internet will eventually be incorporated somewhere in it's ever expanding cork-board map of insanity.

Look on Qanon's works, ye mighty, and despair.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5b67dbea25bf02623f27bbec/t/5c3eb767032be46f5acb7297/1547614136130/GreatAwakeningMap_11x14_V10_Lotus_Hi-Res.jpg

• Options
    Dammit, I'd successfully forgotten that existed.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Psilocybin mushrooms is in there at least twice and I'm beginning to understand how that map came into being

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Dammit, I'd successfully forgotten that existed.

I ... I think it’s worse than the last time I saw it... Larger, and more tortured.

Did it just move?

This discussion has been closed.