As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mods know too much about the [Conspiracy Theories] thread

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    It was actually somewhat refreshing to learn this morning that The United States isn't the only country with a delusional "sovereign citizen" movement. In fact, if you talk to the right people, you'll learn that the nation of Germany doesn't exist. You can free yourself of the shackles of this international conspiracy and become a free citizen of Neudeutschland by listening to the enlightened words of the country's rightful king (and also donating €390). There are other fees as well, naturally, but it's all worth it to support the reign of king Peter, a karate instructor who hit puberty at 6 and has magical powers.

In a similar vein in Canada we have the Cascadia movement, Vancouver and washington combine and become their own country with bits of a couple other nearby states

I dunno if that's the same thing? Do they pretend Canada and/or US laws don't apply?

Probs that

Not the correct answer to how Canada is fake tho

https://theoutline.com/post/8686/canada-is-fake

icGJy2C.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    It was actually somewhat refreshing to learn this morning that The United States isn't the only country with a delusional "sovereign citizen" movement. In fact, if you talk to the right people, you'll learn that the nation of Germany doesn't exist. You can free yourself of the shackles of this international conspiracy and become a free citizen of Neudeutschland by listening to the enlightened words of the country's rightful king (and also donating €390). There are other fees as well, naturally, but it's all worth it to support the reign of king Peter, a karate instructor who hit puberty at 6 and has magical powers.

In a similar vein in Canada we have the Cascadia movement, Vancouver and washington combine and become their own country with bits of a couple other nearby states

I dunno if that's the same thing? Do they pretend Canada and/or US laws don't apply?

Depends which flavor! There's a group of right wing nutbars that use the same name. But generally, no.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Always remember this quote from Meads vs Meads
    This category of litigant shares one other critical characteristic: they will only honour state, regulatory, contract, family, fiduciary, equitable, and criminal obligations if they feel like it. And typically, they don’t.

That ruling is all you really need to read on sovcit nonsense.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    I've gone down the German sovereign citizen rabbit hole. The whackadoodle with his truck full of legal documents proving he's a king isn't even the only one. There's also this group that maintains a make-believe legislature representing the Weimar Republic (or... Uh... It's immediate successor but they don't say that part out loud), justified by the same thing, incorporated government is invalid government, and a judge once said that the German Empire never truly fell (ignoring that the judge then said it lives on in the current government and modern borders).

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Provisional_Imperial_Government

The US has one of these. I haven't heard much of them in years except when an actual congressman resigned to go join them fifteen or twenty years ago.

To be fair, Germany was made up by Caesar to justify stopping Roman expansion at the Rhine.

Borders and nations are imaginary concepts after all

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    What's an "incorporated government"? I'm not familiar with the term.

Edit: Genuine question.

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The Cascadia thing is super white-nationalist, right? I mean, there's a lot of racist overlap in this sphere of things, anyway, but my understanding was that Cascadia was very much a "let's all the white folk abandon the rest of NA to it's mixed-blood fate while us pure, pale-skinned ubermensch form a delightful pagan community in the woods"

• Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    Fuck it, we should start a movement claiming that the Roman empire was never legally dissolved, proclaim an Emperor, and sell material to idiots showing how you don't have to pay tax to anyone except your local publicani.

Bonus points, the Bible only explicitly authorizes paying taxes to the Roman Emperor.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Fuck it, we should start a movement claiming that the Roman empire was never legally dissolved, proclaim an Emperor, and sell material to idiots showing how you don't have to pay tax to anyone except your local publicani.

Bonus points, the Bible only explicitly authorizes paying taxes to the Roman Emperor.

Fun anecdote from the History of Byzantium podcast (I forget which episode; the original anectode is from a book written by someone who was there. And of course I'm paraphrasing):

Early in the 20th century, Greece was "reconquering" som Aegean islands from the crumbling Ottoman Empire. These islands were predominantly inhabited by Greek-speaking people, and so Greece felt justified in "liberating" them.

One one island, when the Greek soldiers went ashore to show the flag, several of the local boys ran down to see the spectacle. One of the soldiers asked (in Greek) what all the boys were staring at.

"We wanted to see the Greek soldiers," said one of the boys, also in Greek.

"But you're Greek, too," replied the solider.

"We're not Greek," said the boy. "We're Romans."

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

I wouldn’t be surprised if Constantine added in that bit

And yeah the Byzantines always referred to themselves as Romans, even when they stopped speaking Latin and wrote about how Latins were barbarians

Zavian on
    Zavian wrote: »

And yeah the Byzantines always referred to themselves as Romans, even when they stopped speaking Latin and wrote about how Latins were barbarians

From the Byzantine Roman point of view, the Latins were barbarians. Italy had long since been overrun by various Germanic tribes like the Lombards or the Goths.

From the Byzantine Roman point of view, the Latins were barbarians. Italy had long since been overrun by various Germanic tribes like the Lombards or the Goths.

Technically, barbarian means anyone that doesn’t speak Greek, so Latins were always barbarians

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    The Cascadia thing is super white-nationalist, right? I mean, there's a lot of racist overlap in this sphere of things, anyway, but my understanding was that Cascadia was very much a "let's all the white folk abandon the rest of NA to it's mixed-blood fate while us pure, pale-skinned ubermensch form a delightful pagan community in the woods"

Mmmm not inherently.

I'm sure some fascists took the name up as well, but you see Cascadian flags flying in Seattle.

Out in like, eastern WA/OR you're more likely to see a Confederate flag.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Thanks for the clarification. I must just spend too much time reading about the worst of humanity on the internet :p

Isn’t there a huge anti-first nations movement in Canada?

• Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

I'm including the Byzantines. There's no legal dissolution of the Roman (or Byzantine) Empire under Roman and/or Byzantine law. They actually make the case better, since it establishes that there's no ethnic or linguistic requirement for imperial continuance.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Well that's the main reason they want to do it, cept more in a hippie style way than usual sovereigns. Like a weird mix of survival prepper meets farmers market, as an entire country somehow.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508

I'm including the Byzantines. There's no legal dissolution of the Roman (or Byzantine) Empire under Roman and/or Byzantine law. They actually make the case better, since it establishes that there's no ethnic or linguistic requirement for imperial continuance.

Why not just go back further, let's bring back pharaonic God Kings who marry their sisters, or God Queens who marry their brothers, and start constructing some massive pyramid tombs again. With modern engineering we can probably make some really big ones. All our government buildings are just ripoffs of Greek temples which were in turn ripoffs of Egyptian temples

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    With modern engineering we can probably make some really big ones. All our government buildings are just ripoffs of Greek temples which were in turn ripoffs of Egyptian temples

My first job was in construction with a guy who thought we couldn't construct pyramids anymore and that God had taken the math away. The next day I brought in pictures of The Louvre and Caesars Palace and a couple of pages of my geometry textbook.

He also thought people used to be giants due to barometric pressure changing over time, so I brought him Roman Census information showing the average legionnaire was 5'7"

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Yeah but that's in feet, and they had bigger feet back then because of the barometric pressure.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020

Define "huge".

Racism/bigotry is alive and well in the frozen wastes to the north, the crimes past and present against the first people's plentiful, but while it's not an oppression olympics, I like to think Canada (collectively/on a federal level) is at least making vague motions towards showing more respect on those matters... but then someone will probably bring up pipelines and it's a giant clusterfuck again.

So... kind of? It's a shitshow of failures big and small against a populace that has suffered many generations of neglect and abuse, I'd like to think there's at least an effort to do better, but objectively I wouldn't dream of stating it was getting better in a tangible way as a fact.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    It seems to me that Canada, like the US, has only gotten more polite about ignoring the rights of indigenous people and not actually improved at all.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    With modern engineering we can probably make some really big ones. All our government buildings are just ripoffs of Greek temples which were in turn ripoffs of Egyptian temples

My first job was in construction with a guy who thought we couldn't construct pyramids anymore and that God had taken the math away. The next day I brought in pictures of The Louvre and Caesars Palace and a couple of pages of my geometry textbook.

He also thought people used to be giants due to barometric pressure changing over time, so I brought him Roman Census information showing the average legionnaire was 5'7"

Given modern technology, I could probably build a modern pyramid by myself with access to the kind of funding they had building those. It's a big pile of fucking rocks, the mathematics and construction techniques were not fantastically complex.

See, you joke about this, but there's a whole series of pretty pulpy scifi books where the secret Roman Empire, which has been incubating in cultures throughout the world for hundreds of years, splits off from Earth and forms its own empire once humanity develops FTL travel and begins colonizing space. The American bloc in particular takes offense to this because the new Roman Empire swipes a ton of spaceborne American resources for their Empire and America claims the Empire is just one of their colonies. The Empire's stance is that it America was built from Roman ideas and thus America is a Roman colony.

The two agree to disagree, go their separate ways, and dig in for a long-standing intergalactic war of dumbasses.

Oh, and the books feature lots of swordfighting in space because of intergalactic goo-bug hive that makes space guns not work. And the books get a lot dumber from there. So. Much. Dumber.

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Do you know the name of that pulp sci-fi series, or are you just going to tease us

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Do you know the name of that pulp sci-fi series, or are you just going to tease us

Seriously.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Tour of the Merrimack?

I haven't read it but I might have read Issac Asimov talking about the cover? He didn't name the series but he talked about a particular cover of a sci fi novel. The cover was a Roman legionnaire in full armour holding a ray gun or something, I can't quite remember. But the author/editor complained that the picture wasn't accurate to the books. Asimov's opinion was that the cover got the point across (Romans! In space!) and was visually interesting even if nothing like it appeared in the book.

edit- well, the Tour of the Merrimack can't be the book Asimov was talking about as it was published in 2005.

Gvzbgul on
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

Define "huge".

Racism/bigotry is alive and well in the frozen wastes to the north, the crimes past and present against the first people's plentiful, but while it's not an oppression olympics, I like to think Canada (collectively/on a federal level) is at least making vague motions towards showing more respect on those matters... but then someone will probably bring up pipelines and it's a giant clusterfuck again.

So... kind of? It's a shitshow of failures big and small against a populace that has suffered many generations of neglect and abuse, I'd like to think there's at least an effort to do better, but objectively I wouldn't dream of stating it was getting better in a tangible way as a fact.

At least everybody in North America can say we're not Australia.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

Given modern technology, I could probably build a modern pyramid by myself with access to the kind of funding they had building those. It's a big pile of fucking rocks, the mathematics and construction techniques were not fantastically complex.

It's really simple, actually - a pyramid is one of the simplest shapes you can pile shit in and have it just stay there.

Ancient alien people like to point out that pyramids independently arose in Mesoamerica, Mesopotamia, two places in Africa, and Southeast Asia, so obviously the same entities are behind them all. But those pyramids all served radically different purposes and took on different forms. They were all pyramidal because if you lack the masonry technology to build stuff like castles and towers, pyramids are the easiest way to build something really tall.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Also unlike statues you cant tip them over, and unlike walls and other structures if the bricks are big enough people can’t take them to make houses out of during the ensuing generations, so they tend to last

Prohass on
  • ColanutColanut Siedge WealdRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Zecharia Sitchin said the Mesoamerican ones were for processing gold by the anunnaki (if you get 3 or 4 books in). I think they were just processing coffee and chocolate. And pyramids are far superior for doing that. Obviously. How else would you deal with living on a planet/dwarf sun beyond Pluto?

Colanut on
    edited May 2020
    Pyramids were actually way more complicated than the OG pharaohs thought, that’s why there’s bent pyramids and collapsed pyramids. It took them a looooong time to get it right. Well, actually third time was the charm, Snefaru built two pyramids which collapsed, then the third one (Red Pyramid) he finally got right

Zavian on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

You don't understand, this whole series I read in its entirety is real bad. I'm trying to save you from this schlock.

But it's the "Tour of the Merrimack" series by R.M. Meluch. May the Emperor have mercy on your patrician souls.

Warhammer 40k is the New Roman Empire series you’re looking for

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Shit like this is why I and almost everyone I worked with dropped ACM membership immediately after college - the whole entity is very tech-for-tech's-sake and while not actually *behind* any of it, they certainly *advocate* for a lot of fuckery.

Edit: they deleted the tweet, but the Association for Computing Machinery was lamenting the millions of dollars the facial recognition and surveillance industry has lost due to COVID19 mask use.

This one's going in this thread for a few reasons.

Just a reminder that many of the people ranting and raving about "Them" are meanwhile filling their lives with devices doing the same things for a completely different Them.

"Alexa, are you reporting everything I say to Jeff Bezos?"
    "Of course not. Here's a coupon code for that slow cooker your wife was talking about yesterday."

Hevach on
  • redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Shit like this is why I and almost everyone I worked with dropped ACM membership immediately after college - the whole entity is very tech-for-tech's-sake and while not actually *behind* any of it, they certainly *advocate* for a lot of fuckery.

This one's going in this thread for a few reasons.

Just a reminder that many of the people ranting and raving about "Them" are meanwhile filling their lives with devices doing the same things for a completely different Them.

"Alexa, are you reporting everything I say to Jeff Bezos?"
    "Of course not. Here's a coupon code for that slow cooker your wife was talking about yesterday."

tech for the tech god, science for the science throne, why because we CAN! has sort of been humanities mantra for a while

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Hope that particular multimillion dollar industry goes tits up

Edit: it won’t, but I can hope

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Is that why juggalos wear the makeup?

What do they know that we don't, and how long have they known it?

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Define "huge".

Yeah, there's racism both personal and systematic but I would not describe it as a movement ala the militia movement or neo-nazis or something.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Define "huge".

Yeah, there's racism both personal and systematic but I would not describe it as a movement ala the militia movement or neo-nazis or something.

Less a movement and more the status quo

The movement would be in trying to treat them better as the equals they are.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Cooking/Conspiracy crosspost!

So, a morel is a fairly coveted type of mushroom that is more or less only available by hunting for them in the woods.* To date, no one has successfully cultivated them commercially, despite their high value.** Mushrooms in general are pretty easy to grow, but morels for some reason aren't.

EXCEPT: in 1982 a graduate student named Ronald Owers at UCSF published a paper and was granted (applied for?) a patent on the cultivation of morels. But, before he could commercialize the invention he was MURDERED***. The patent then passed through a series of holders including DOMINOS PIZZA. But the patent was written vaguely enough that no one was able to replicate the success.

Which is a long way of saying that clearly dominos pizza murdered him so they could buy the patent but failed to acquire the HIDDEN JOURNAL that was needed to grow morels.

*Looking briefly on amazon I can find them for $100+ per pound for dried, or four pounds fresh frozen for $200
    ** There's apparently a guy who recently claims to have figured this out
    ***apparently a mugging gone wrong

https://books.google.com/books?id=Br3PU2PJhywC&pg=PA138&lpg=PA138&dq=morel+farming+murder+dominos&source=bl&ots=L1DJtzShDi&sig=ACfU3U2v0g15J6T3YZzAXjstALcoYSBZ4A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjE-bylptDpAhXHmq0KHeqzDgwQ6AEwBHoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=morel farming murder dominos&f=false

https://www.myjournalcourier.com/news/article/Mushroom-farmer-still-chasing-morel-dream-12801167.php

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Killing a man for his mushroom patent? Seems like Domino's Pizza needs to grow

*puts on sunglasses*

Some morals.

YEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
This discussion has been closed.