Mods know too much about the [Conspiracy Theories] thread

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I just dont know why he, and so many in his generation put so much faith in facebook posts.

It's like the current form of chain emails but much worse.
    People trust people they personally know, and people who affirm their preconceived world view. That trust is implicitly extended to the people those people trust.

It's not an aging thing, it's a "how much time are you willing to spend being cynical about your own beliefs?" thing.

(Though I am curious if growing up in the Cronkite era vs the Aisles era has a marked difference on how willing you are to trust people when they claim to be passing on second-hand news that challenges your world view. 'Steve said he heard it on the way to work. I missed it, but I trust that one news station we have, and I trust Steve.' 40 years and an infinite spectrum of alternative facts later, you still trust Steve- of course you trust Steve- and Steve posted it on Facebook.)

But never their grown children.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    CambiataEncDoodmannElvenshaeL Ron HowardArbitraryDescriptorDarkPrimusfurlionDyvim TvarShadowfireJoolandertynicIncenjucarSmrtnikLikeaBoshZilla360MagellCouscousArmorocMayabirdCaulk Bite 6Moridin889RingoHappy Little Machine
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I just dont know why he, and so many in his generation put so much faith in facebook posts.

People trust people they personally know, and people who affirm their preconceived world view. That trust is implicitly extended to the people those people trust.

It's not an aging thing, it's a "how much time are you willing to spend being cynical about your own beliefs?" thing.

(Though I am curious if growing up in the Cronkite era vs the Aisles era has a marked difference on how willing you are to trust people when they claim to be passing on second-hand news that challenges your world view. 'Steve said he heard it on the way to work. I missed it, but I trust that one news station we have, and I trust Steve.' 40 years and an infinite spectrum of alternative facts later, you still trust Steve- of course you trust Steve- and Steve posted it on Facebook.)

But never their grown children.

True as fuck.

Of course I only realized as a sane adult that my parents had always been conspiracy-minded. The way they presented things just seemed like common sense when I lived at home.

So for me it's not a matter of "getting my father back", because my father has always been this person and will probably always be this person.

L Ron HowardDouglasDangerCouscousRingo
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    The "not trust your kids" thing may be because they still see us as snotty kids or obnoxious teenagers (or both at the same time), but it is not an excuse.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    Gnome-InterruptusL Ron HowardSmrtnikCelestialBadgerRingo
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion The Land of Flowers (and Dragons)Registered User regular
    Like most cults, part of the reinforcement they get from far right outlets are that your family, if they aren't in on it, are actively against you. Folks like Alex Jones reinforce a worldview where everyone but the demagogue has failed the listener in every way, from the most mundane to the most insidious, making there only two kinds of people: those who convert and those who are their enemy.

CambiataSpecial KGiantGeek2020L Ron HowardElvenshaefurlionZilla360
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited June 25
    The "not trust your kids" thing may be because they still see us as snotty kids or obnoxious teenagers (or both at the same time), but it is not an excuse.

Hell mine aren't even to that point. In 30 years when my current 4 year old comes and says, "Dad, those robobutlers are killing people, the third law is exploitable!" I reply, "Listen here you little shit, I watched your dumb ass eat a rock just because I told you it wasn't a strawberry, what the fuck do you know?"

Hevach on
    THAC0webguy20BloodySlothElvenshaeGiantGeek2020JoolanderForarArbitraryDescriptortynicGnome-InterruptusDavid WalgasSmrtnikCelestialBadgerkimeAimJammersArmorocMoridin889Ringoyossarian_livesHappy Little Machine
  • marajimaraji Registered User regular
    I personally am looking forward to being the reactionary old man tolerated by my children.

At least I used to look forward to it, when I assumed I’d be railing about robosexual marriage or the vegan bloc or something else because the culture wars stuff of today was settled.

After the last few years, I’m not sure about this...

CelestialBadgerRingoMr RayKayne Red Robe
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

It's only worse then chain emails because there's more of it. In part because it's easier, in part because it's profitable.

And before chain emails it was mass mailers and shit.

ArbitraryDescriptor
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 26
    I've almost forty with a graduate degree in molecular biology and my next job change will see me in the six-figure range, and I've lived in more cities and states than I can easily remember. A couple weeks ago, my mom, who has spent her entire life in the house, hasn't been in the work force since the seventies, and stopped her education with high school, was wholly dismissing my political stances on BLM because "she was there" when the equal rights fights were happening back in the sixties, except the reality is she wasn't even a teenager yet and she was hours away from any place where anything actually happened.

And my father won't even let us discuss politics anymore because "we live in two different worlds". This is a direct quote from him in response to me correcting him on what the CHOP is actually like from first-hand experience over what his Fox News liars are reporting is happening. And what was I saying to him at the time? That I wanted to see the "reported" videos of protestors attacking medic stations, because I could definitely show him multiple videos of cops intentionally hitting medic stations with flashbangs, pepper balls, rubber bullets, and teargas while the medics were treating people. But the veered too close to him being exposed to "fake" news, so now he's ruled out political discussion between us.

I think there is genuinely a major dysfunction that effects a lot of the Boomer generation that restricts them to permanently thinking of their children as children and somehow makes them incapable of seeing them as people. I mean, my mother has repeatedly said to me over the years "all of you will always be my babies, I'll always think of you that way". And she genuinely thinks that's endearing rather than creepy and insulting.

There's just nothing directly to be done when people willfully and knowingly put up barriers to contrary information. They don't want to change, they want to be told things are a certain way and that's that, anything different can get fucked now matter how correct it is.

Ninja Snarl P on
    CambiataNitsuaL Ron HowardLikeaBoshdavidsdurionsElvenshaeGiantGeek2020Mr Ray
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    I don't think any one group is more susceptible to "fake news" than any other.
    Social media is designed to brainwash people because that's what's good for business. Furthermore it is customized and targeted for different groups. Boomers, millenials, zoomers, we all have a Matrix ready to be jacked into for our overlord's benefit. We desperately need something like the Fairness Doctrine to regulate online media.

I have found the best defence against bullshit is a ruthlessly evidence based worldview. Problem is that is difficult, exhausting, sometimes even embarrassing. Truly ignorance is bliss.

I'm not saying we are going to have an autocratic dystopia, but things keep happening that look like they come from an autocratic dystopia.
    GvzbgulOrcafurlionL Ron HowardZilla360GiantGeek2020ArmorocRingozagdrobElldren
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Ask me about my scrotalist agenda Registered User regular
    I try check everything I share with friends but it gets exhausting and eventually you settle for "well I know this is true so I don't need to check" and then it turns out what I thought was true was not.

furlionmarajiGnome-InterruptusNobeardCelestialBadgerGiantGeek2020Armoroc
    edited June 26

From the thread: not a new thing he's been in on wacky ideas for some time. But it's new to me.

Gvzbgul on
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    The problem with combating ignorance is the energy expenditure to convince someone to change their mind is so fucking disproportionate to how easy it is for them to maintain their ignorance. I want to fight the good fight but I already have a full time job.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    L Ron HowardGnome-InterruptusNobeardZilla360davidsdurionsOrcaMagellElvenshaekimeCambiataRingoMr RayElldren
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Robbie Williams has ... bad ideas?
    I’m shocked, I tell you.

DouglasDangerL Ron HowardSiskaCaulk Bite 6
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Robbie Williams has ... bad ideas?
    I’m shocked, I tell you.

And then he went and spoiled it all by saying something stupid like

Zilla360Hahnsoo1Capt Howdy
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Pac Man's character is difficult to explain even to the Japanese -- he is an innocent character. He hasn't been educated to discern between good and evil. He acts more like a small child than a grown-up person. Think of him as a child learning in the course of his daily activities. If someone tells him guns are evil, he would be the type to rush out and eat guns. But he would most probably eat any gun, even the pistols of policemen who need them.
    Incenjucar
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    The fuck did Spielberg do to get on Q's hit list?

I'm not saying we are going to have an autocratic dystopia, but things keep happening that look like they come from an autocratic dystopia.
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    What the fuck is wrong with these people.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
    OrcaL Ron HowardkimeGiantGeek2020marajiProhasstynicKamarCentipede Damascus
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    The fuck did Spielberg do to get on Q's hit list?

If i were to guess, it starts with the letter J

steam_sig.png
    NobeardDarkPrimusShadowfireIncenjucarElvenshaeDiannaoChongJoolanderCambiataGiantGeek2020SolarL Ron HowardLinespider5MayabirdCaulk Bite 6DisruptedCapitalistMoridin889RingotynicKamarzagdrobElldren
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    Their list of "satanic pedophiles" or whatever is just people who have made Trump butthurt in some way.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Their list of "satanic pedophiles" or whatever is just people who have made Trump butthurt in some way.

Dr. Fauci rolled his eyes at Trump in a press conference one time so they decided he created the Coronavirus.

When people asked why Trump was employing him if he was evil, the response was "keep you enemies close."

Pac Man's character is difficult to explain even to the Japanese -- he is an innocent character. He hasn't been educated to discern between good and evil. He acts more like a small child than a grown-up person. Think of him as a child learning in the course of his daily activities. If someone tells him guns are evil, he would be the type to rush out and eat guns. But he would most probably eat any gun, even the pistols of policemen who need them.
    BloodySlothElvenshae
    The Steven Spielberg rumours date back to the death of one of the actors in Poltergeist 3, and then he was rumoured to be in the Epstein logs which brought back more attention to the original rumours. This then got wrapped up into the Q Anon theories. AFAIK it's all just conjecture by people on the internet.

• THAC0THAC0 Registered User regular
    edited June 27
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    AFAIK it's all just conjecture by people on the internet.
    I mean this sums up like 99% of this threads content. I long for the days where discussion of conspiracy theories was about surfboarding bigfoots.

Edit- feel free to replace conjecture with knowingly lying, add to taste

THAC0 on
    DiannaoChongSmrtnikL Ron HowardmarajiGnome-Interruptus
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    One thing the internet did was kill satire, so a lot of places that were making fun of conspiracy theories like flat Earth, hollow Earth, faking the moon landing, etc ended up spawning people who actually believed in those things.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    The internet also means we actually SEE inside of these groups. Twenty years ago we saw conspiracy theories on TV through uncritical documentaries, The X Files, Arthur C Clarke's show on Discovery, and so forth. They were filtered through the editing and production process. So, for example, we never really saw how when it comes down to it, they all eventually circle around to Jews.

BloodySlothBrainleechfurlionElvenshaeIncenjucarGiantGeek2020L Ron HowardMayabirdProhassMoridin889Zilla360KamarzagdrobCentipede DamascusElldren
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    What the fuck is wrong with these people.

Everyone is a badass on the internet. Most of these people would soil themselves if in an actual physical confrontation, so they get pleasure out of their "oppressors" being oppressed by someone else. Schadenfreude. Most of these radicalized people are not the 10ft tall chads with AR-15s and Merica tatoos. They're weak in body, mind, spirit, and are desperately looking to blame or punish anyone else for their circumstances than themselves.

Opty wrote: »
    One thing the internet did was kill satire, so a lot of places that were making fun of conspiracy theories like flat Earth, hollow Earth, faking the moon landing, etc ended up spawning people who actually believed in those things.
    Pre-Internet even, the Illumanatus! trilogy being a prime example of a satirical work of fiction that gathered and inspired true believers.

Elvenshaetynic
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »
    Pre-Internet even, the Illumanatus! trilogy being a prime example of a satirical work of fiction that gathered and inspired true believers.

Moving further into absurdity beyond that, there are people who believe the illuminati card game is actually a secret prophecy/coded message from the illuminati/etc.

• ZavianZavian Senātus Populusque Rōmānus Registered User regular
    What ever happened to good old fashioned wholesome UFO cults

I’ve been reading about George Hunt Williamson and it’s wild

CambiataaugustRingoMr Ray
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 27
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/27/technology/pizzagate-justin-bieber-qanon-tiktok.html
    ‘PizzaGate’ Conspiracy Theory Thrives Anew in the TikTok Era

The false theory targeting Democrats, now fueled by QAnon and teenagers on TikTok, is entangling new targets like Justin Bieber.
    WASHINGTON — Four minutes into a video that was posted on Instagram last month, Justin Bieber leaned into the camera and adjusted the front of his black knit beanie. For some of his 130 million followers, it was a signal.

In the video, someone had posted a comment asking Mr. Bieber to touch his hat if he had been a victim of a child-trafficking ring known as PizzaGate. Thousands of comments were flooding in, and there was no evidence that Mr. Bieber had seen that message. But the pop star’s innocuous gesture set off a flurry of online activity, which highlighted the resurgence of one of social media’s early conspiracy theories.

Viewers quickly uploaded hundreds of videos online analyzing Mr. Bieber’s action. The videos were translated into Spanish, Portuguese and other languages, amassing millions of views. Fans then left thousands of comments on Mr. Bieber’s social media posts asking him if he was safe. Within days, searches for “Justin and PizzaGate” soared on Google, and the hashtag #savebieber started trending.
    Driven by these new elements, the theory has morphed. PizzaGate no longer focuses on Mrs. Clinton and has taken on less of a political bent. Its new targets and victims are a broader assortment of powerful businesspeople, politicians and celebrities, including Mr. Bieber, Bill Gates, Ellen DeGeneres, Oprah Winfrey and Chrissy Teigen, who are lumped together as part of the global elite. For groups like QAnon, PizzaGate has become a convenient way to foment discontent.
    Hateful comments have recently surged on the Facebook page and Yelp and Google review pages for Comet Ping Pong, where the child trafficking supposedly happened. The pizzeria’s owner, James Alefantis, said he had received fresh death threats that caused the Federal Bureau of Investigation to open a new investigation two months ago. The F.B.I. said Friday that it could not confirm the existence of an investigation.

“There are no real options for someone like me. I don’t have the names or numbers for people to call at Google or TikTok,” Mr. Alefantis said. “But I don’t want to be that person who lives their life in fear.”
    That still sounds extremely political to me.

Jesus, this makes no sense just like the old PizzaGate theory did

Couscous on
    CambiataArbitraryDescriptorL Ron HowardNitsuaArmorocmarajiPhoenix-DfurlionCaulk Bite 6Gnome-InterruptusJoolanderElvenshaekimeMoridin889RingoZilla360Centipede DamascusElldrenZomro
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

The UFO thing seemed to fall out of fashion. I think post-9/11. The timing may be coincidental but I sometimes think it's at least partially not since more mainstream "the government is hiding huge secrets from you" stuff becomes a lot less appealing when you are rallying around the flag.

But the whole UFO conspiracy stuff is by far the most dated part of The X-Files when you rewatch it imo. It's like a fascinating trip down memory lane. "Oh man, I remember when this kind of stuff was a thing!" Cause it just ain't anymore.

L Ron HowardRingo
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    UFO cults started getting boring when that type of scifi declined

Those sorts of cults are almost always heavily influenced by pop culture

shrykeGvzbgulCelestialBadgerMoridin889tynicZilla360Stabbity Style
    Couscous wrote: »

We've had official government confirmation of UFOs and even official footage but everyones like 'oh cool whatever 2020 ya'll'

shryke wrote: »

The UFO thing seemed to fall out of fashion. I think post-9/11. The timing may be coincidental but I sometimes think it's at least partially not since more mainstream "the government is hiding huge secrets from you" stuff becomes a lot less appealing when you are rallying around the flag.

But the whole UFO conspiracy stuff is by far the most dated part of The X-Files when you rewatch it imo. It's like a fascinating trip down memory lane. "Oh man, I remember when this kind of stuff was a thing!" Cause it just ain't anymore.

Zilla360
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against the Irish) Registered User regular

We've had official government confirmation of UFOs and even official footage but everyones like 'oh cool whatever 2020 ya'll'

I'm not sure that actually means what you seem to think it means.

CambiataBloodySlothArmorocTamerBillmanwiththemachinegunShadowfireDarkPrimusmarajiPhoenix-DNeveronfurlionGnome-InterruptusDiannaoChongJoolanderForarDouglasDangerL Ron HowardZilla360Stabbity StyleMr RayzagdrobCentipede DamascusJust_Bri_ThanksElldrenZomro
    edited June 27

I'm not sure that actually means what you seem to think it means.

I don't mean UFOs as definitely aliens, flying plasma balls, ancient evolved flying ocean bugs, advanced communist/Russian spy drones, whatever 'Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon" they are, but it's the first time they've officially been acknowledged and released by the military

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/27/politics/pentagon-ufo-videos/index.html

Zavian on
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    The internet also means we actually SEE inside of these groups. Twenty years ago we saw conspiracy theories on TV through uncritical documentaries, The X Files, Arthur C Clarke's show on Discovery, and so forth. They were filtered through the editing and production process. So, for example, we never really saw how when it comes down to it, they all eventually circle around to Jews.

I think that's a feature of the interconnectivity we have now. Previously it was enough to have lizard people as the final layer, no need to mix it up with other conspiracy theories.
    If you're sure that the European Royal families are lizards, it doesn't make as much sense to just make them the Jews too. But if your conspiracies are being signal boosted through Neo Nazi groups, then eventually there's enough cross over that these things get wrapped up in it.

I remember a David Icke and Louis Theroux episode back from the late 90s and early 2000s that he was frustrated that these neo-Nazi guys kept turning up and assumed he meant Jews when he said lizard people because they were missing the whole point - there are Lizard people in control across society, the writers of the Elder protocols were right but they came to the wrong conclusions!

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    The next frontier in conspiracy theories might be government-sponsored propagation of official conspiracy theories/denialism. Erdogan in Turkey is making a whole agency dedicated entirely to Armenian genocide denial. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like the next step past the current place of Russian and Chinese unofficial promotion of conspiracy theories and the regular US governmental officials who just happen to believe in them.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    It's definitely another step, but I feel like it's an uncomfortably small step from American politicians actively flirting with conspiracy theorists and their organizations in order to cement their support.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I always thought qanon was a joke and conspiracy nonsense

But

Justin Bieber turned his hat!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Don't even joke about that kind of shit man.

Its not that funny and the real Qanons have no sense of humor or subtlety.

Jokes like that just emboldens them.

Communicating from the last of the Babylon Stations.
    CambiataMayabirdShadowfireElvenshaeGvzbgulCouscousTynnanfurlionZilla360NitsuaStabbity StylezagdrobElldren
This discussion has been closed.