As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Jobs]WE DID IT TEAM, HE'S ON VACATION

19394959698

Posts

  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    and when the big box store is the only employer in town, due to them pushing out all of the other smaller retailers, and there's 4 other people looking for your 1 job...

    You don't tend to rock the boat very much.

    Plus, Americans are very much crab bucket. There's not much belief in the society as a whole supporting everybody around you, you have to get your own stuff. and survive on your own. because nobody will help you. And if somebody offers to help, then they are trying to get ahead of you and use you as a stepping stone.

    Sigh

    It's a very depressing existence.
    And the most important thing, you shouldn't need to support anyone else, because then they'd choose not to support themselves and live off what you're supporting them with.

    sig.gif
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I've been keeping a close eye on hurricane Florence and every time I refresh the tracker, the damn thing swings closer and closer to my hometown. My plan had been to stay with my parents and enjoy some family time before I fly to Japan for good in a week, but they basically live in the woods surrounded by trees, and I can't risk my car being damaged days before I need to have it sold. Unfortunately that means I need to leave them and go take shelter in a hotel near the airport - forecasts are looking increasingly grim as the storm approaches landfall nearby. Though this isn't coming entirely from a place of selfishness because my dad already said they're looking to leave town to avoid the storm themselves if it looks likely to come here.

  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The time to leave is pretty much now, if it's predicted to hit in a few days.

    sig.gif
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    I've been keeping a close eye on hurricane Florence and every time I refresh the tracker, the damn thing swings closer and closer to my hometown. My plan had been to stay with my parents and enjoy some family time before I fly to Japan for good in a week, but they basically live in the woods surrounded by trees, and I can't risk my car being damaged days before I need to have it sold. Unfortunately that means I need to leave them and go take shelter in a hotel near the airport - forecasts are looking increasingly grim as the storm approaches landfall nearby. Though this isn't coming entirely from a place of selfishness because my dad already said they're looking to leave town to avoid the storm themselves if it looks likely to come here.

    Great excuse to take a small trip with your folks! Sitting out hurricanes suuucks, I don't blame anyone for getting away if they can, the amount you can save in the house if things do get bad is no where near worth the personal risk.

  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Logistically, it would be impractical for me to join them on their trip. Part of the reason I'm sheltering in the particular hotel where I made my reservation is because I know them to have a big empty parking garage where I can safely hide my car away, which I must then sell by Sunday of this week. I'd considered going with them but I don't want to put extra miles on the car running from the storm, and I don't have a safer place I can stow it unattended.

  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Why isn't every employee in the US in a union? I understand it here because we have pretty decent laws protecting employees but you guys tell some horror stories.

    A couple decades of GOP propaganda talking about the evils of unions the hold up a couple of Unions doing shitty things. Also we've had a recent trend of unions favoring older members over newer members which has the really fucking obvious effect of younger folks not bothering to join unions.

    Unions have this issue like local government and HOAs where they only really work well if the bulk of the members are at least mildly engaged. If only the folks who really want to run them are allowed to run them they turn into little personal fiefdoms.
    Can employers prevent people from being in unions? That's probably a really naive question but I don't know much about unioning.

    Officially no, unofficially there are like a thousand and one ways that employers fuck with unions and organization attempts.

    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    The actual procedure for starting / joining a union has been carefully legislated to give the employers a lot of chances to try to squash it.

    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Logistically, it would be impractical for me to join them on their trip. Part of the reason I'm sheltering in the particular hotel where I made my reservation is because I know them to have a big empty parking garage where I can safely hide my car away, which I must then sell by Sunday of this week. I'd considered going with them but I don't want to put extra miles on the car running from the storm, and I don't have a safer place I can stow it unattended.

    Totally fair! Stay safe! I'm from the mountains of NC where we find the whole idea of a coastal hurricane pant shittingly terrifying as we just worry about losing a couple trees.

  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Done with 80% of my sprint tasks at 3 pm on Monday!

    What's that? The remaining 20% will take the rest of my two-week sprint? LALALALA CAN'T HEAR

  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Last time I worked in a non-union place, I tried looking into how to start a union. I gave up very quickly because I couldn't even find a national union that seemed to cover the type of workers we had ( environmental chemists). Most seemed to be for blue- coller workers. I suppose I could have just emailed random people until I hit upon someone who could help. But anxiety.

    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I never realized how integral my two middle fingers are to using a writing device. Using only my thumb and index finger is hard.

    Strangely I tried writing with my left hand. It is useless unless I write the letters backwards, then I can do it. So weird.

    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork


  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Join the Wobblies! (the International Workers of the World union)

  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Why isn't every employee in the US in a union? I understand it here because we have pretty decent laws protecting employees but you guys tell some horror stories.

    Republicans have poisoned minds that unions are bad because they take money from the workers in dues and you can't fire people without a lot of effort, mostly teachers the target of this one, so it's a bunch of lazy, often public, workers getting more money than "you" are getting. Also oh no "your" dues money is being used for politics to fund candidates in favor of the union how horrifying is that America?

    Oh but the police union, the one that actually exemplifies all those things, is perfectly fine.

  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Why isn't every employee in the US in a union? I understand it here because we have pretty decent laws protecting employees but you guys tell some horror stories.

    Republicans have poisoned minds that unions are bad because they take money from the workers in dues and you can't fire people without a lot of effort, mostly teachers the target of this one, so it's a bunch of lazy, often public, workers getting more money than "you" are getting. Also oh no "your" dues money is being used for politics to fund candidates in favor of the union how horrifying is that America?

    Oh but the police union, the one that actually exemplifies all those things, is perfectly fine.

    The funny thing about unions not being able to fire people it's because management is lazy. It isn't actually harder to fire people. It's harder (impossible) to make shit up and fire people that you have a personal grudge against though. But if you document shitty workers being shitty and address it a few times then the union won't step in to protect them.

    Also you can't give beneficial treatment to your friends and relatives so middle management tends to hate it, and then they bitch about it at the dinner table to their kids and at family get togethers and then people who don't know why they hate unions hate unions because their parent/cousin bitched about it.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Why isn't every employee in the US in a union? I understand it here because we have pretty decent laws protecting employees but you guys tell some horror stories.

    Republicans have poisoned minds that unions are bad because they take money from the workers in dues and you can't fire people without a lot of effort, mostly teachers the target of this one, so it's a bunch of lazy, often public, workers getting more money than "you" are getting. Also oh no "your" dues money is being used for politics to fund candidates in favor of the union how horrifying is that America?

    Oh but the police union, the one that actually exemplifies all those things, is perfectly fine.

    The funny thing about unions not being able to fire people it's because management is lazy. It isn't actually harder to fire people. It's harder (impossible) to make shit up and fire people that you have a personal grudge against though. But if you document shitty workers being shitty and address it a few times then the union won't step in to protect them.

    Also you can't give beneficial treatment to your friends and relatives so middle management tends to hate it, and then they bitch about it at the dinner table to their kids and at family get togethers and then people who don't know why they hate unions hate unions because their parent/cousin bitched about it.

    Exactly, it's all a bunch of lies because the truth wouldn't be conducive to their goals of tearing down the unions since they're in the way of greater profits through abusing the workers. Even telling people about the benefits of unions, meager as they are with my union since it's one of the types that's catering to the old members and fucking over the new members, isn't enough to get through their heads that without unions we wouldn't have holiday time, vacation time, sick time, medical, dental, vision, or a myriad of other things that are taken for granted as just being a thing. Because the people in jobs without unions may not have some or all of that list and they don't have recourse.

  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am in a union. They get us pay raises and have lawyers that take care of anything if something bad happens.

    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork


  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Jon Bois said it best.

    https://youtu.be/ZymSrDfLhW8?t=1m35s

    Quote is at 1:35 if the embedding breaks the timestamp.

  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    My mother was in a union since she worked for the school (when I w)as a kid. The manager's best friend got hired and put in a decently paying position above everyone else. My mom had seniority and got the union involved and they had to give the position to her instead.

    My dad, on the other hand, was hamstrung by the union constantly because he hated documenting people doing shit things. There was a guy that was always looking at porn on his work PC and my dad tried to fire him but the union stepped in because they hadn't documented the previous 2 times and just "talked to him in passing" (it wasn't a formal disciplinary action with a write up). My dad hates unions.

    Teamsters protected me from getting fired when I worked at UPS because I refused to do "mandatory overtime" as the shift manager was calling it. He kept getting in my way and in my face asking me if I was quitting when I walked out when my shift was over (I had school in 7 hours). To which I said "no I'm going home". He got the union steward and told him I was quitting because I was walking off the site when there was work to be done still. Union steward told him to knock it off and pay the next shift to start early like he was supposed to.

    We need more unions.

    bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The story of the '87 Eagles choking out basically the entire city of Philly for trying to bust up their strike is one of my favorite union stories ever.

    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Oh boy.

    You guys want to see a textbook example of a bad teacher? Come to my library right now and look at this history class.

    Jesus. I can't even.

    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork


  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I really need to find a job I can do with my experience that does not require me to be in collections or really any call center stuff.

    I thought after about 6 months away from collections that I could readjust myself and feel good about going back into collections (no where else would hire me) with all the prior experience and knowledge I have but the opposite is happening. That experience and knowledge is telling me that nothing has change and I still do not want to work in collections at all even though the pay is great and the incentive payouts can be pretty amazing.

    I considered applying to the casino near me but every job listing mentions second hand smoke as a normal thing that will be experienced day to day and I'm not down for that.

    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

    I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    My mother was in a union since she worked for the school as a kid. The manager's best friend got hired and put in a decently paying position above everyone else. My mom had seniority and got the union involved and they had to give the position to her instead.

    My dad, on the other hand, was hamstrung by the union constantly because he hated documenting people doing shit things. There was a guy that was always looking at porn on his work PC and my dad tried to fire him but the union stepped in because they hadn't documented the previous 2 times and just "talked to him in passing" (it wasn't a formal disciplinary action with a write up). My dad hates unions.

    Teamsters protected me from getting fired when I worked at UPS because I refused to do "mandatory overtime" as the shift manager was calling it. He kept getting in my way and in my face asking me if I was quitting when I walked out when my shift was over (I had school in 7 hours). To which I said "no I'm going home". He got the union steward and told him I was quitting because I was walking off the site when there was work to be done still. Union steward told him to knock it off and pay the next shift to start early like he was supposed to.

    We need more unions.

    Really like this post because it highlights good and bad of unions. It's not so much that every story about unions being bad is "a bunch of lies", it's that those stories are cherry picked.

    Overall a greater good is served by having unions, despite the fact that on occasion people can get away with literally criminal conduct with no consequences whatsoever because of a tricky paperwork loophole. Kinda like having a criminal justice system that mostly works. Mostly.

  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Oh boy.

    You guys want to see a textbook example of a bad teacher? Come to my library right now and look at this history class.

    Jesus. I can't even.

    Well I would but all my sheckles are tied up in union dues and can't fly to library land.

    Ha. I'm kidding of course. I don't have any union dues to pay, WHY AM I STILL NOT ROLLING IN THE MONIES?

    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    She is just complaining the whole time about her students yet doing absolutely nothing to have classroom management or even keeping them on task.

    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork


  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    She is just complaining the whole time about her students yet doing absolutely nothing to have classroom management or even keeping them on task.

    It's a depressing reality that if you take a profession, no matter how important to the functioning of society it is, someone, somewhere, who's performing that job at any given moment totally sucks.

  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Tea etiquette was discussed a few pages ago.

    Since I've joined the company a few people have joined who are mid study and therefore in their early twenties and the first time in a practice.

    One of the girls is making herself accidentally unpopular because she only makes herself a cup of tea/coffee and not her team members who sit on the same table. Her team members offer her, and in all the other teams drinks are always offered in a round (within easy earshot). She's just not clicked on that that's how it's done and she is inexperienced to be fair but no one wants to correct her because technically she doesn't have to. But it's so against office norms and not what the other new starters are doing that she's coming across badly.

  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Tea etiquette was discussed a few pages ago.

    Since I've joined the company a few people have joined who are mid study and therefore in their early twenties and the first time in a practice.

    One of the girls is making herself accidentally unpopular because she only makes herself a cup of tea/coffee and not her team members who sit on the same table. Her team members offer her, and in all the other teams drinks are always offered in a round (within easy earshot). She's just not clicked on that that's how it's done and she is inexperienced to be fair but no one wants to correct her because technically she doesn't have to. But it's so against office norms and not what the other new starters are doing that she's coming across badly.

    Can't hurt to just say "hey, if you get some tea, do you mind getting some for us as well like when we offer to do it"? I feel like it's a bit of a Catch-22 scenario here if they're that oblivious at the unspoken rules. At least then there's no excuse in ignorance.

    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    So without getting into a ton of the details, a recurring conversation around me seems to be the old "why do we have to do the whole diversity hiring thing, it means we have to hire people who don't have the most merit" argument, and it is exhausting

    To this point I've opted to stay out of it when I hear it except when it comes from friends, because I don't want to participate and have to say, actively, "no, this is why this is bullshit, *laundry list of offenses over my tech career*" but it's harder and harder to stay quiet as the only woman on the team

    Anyone have any specific studies or papers they refer to on this thing, because oh boy does it sap my enthusiasm for the work when it happens at every damn workplace. I'd love for the industry to get to the point where I don't have to justify my employment on the regular.

    Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I agree but she's not on my team and as far away as physically possible from me in the office. Her team hasn't mentioned it for unknown reasons.

  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    So without getting into a ton of the details, a recurring conversation around me seems to be the old "why do we have to do the whole diversity hiring thing, it means we have to hire people who don't have the most merit" argument, and it is exhausting

    To this point I've opted to stay out of it when I hear it except when it comes from friends, because I don't want to participate and have to say, actively, "no, this is why this is bullshit, *laundry list of offenses over my tech career*" but it's harder and harder to stay quiet as the only woman on the team

    Anyone have any specific studies or papers they refer to on this thing, because oh boy does it sap my enthusiasm for the work when it happens at every damn workplace. I'd love for the industry to get to the point where I don't have to justify my employment on the regular.

    "You know what would be awesome for me, as a vastly underrepresented minority in the tech/engineering world, would be if I wasn't seen as a diversity hire at every single place I've worked just because I'm a woman."

    That's kind of my take on responding to those kind of offenses. I don't ever know if statistics and such would actually convince people, but making it more personal to them could help.

  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »
    So without getting into a ton of the details, a recurring conversation around me seems to be the old "why do we have to do the whole diversity hiring thing, it means we have to hire people who don't have the most merit" argument, and it is exhausting

    To this point I've opted to stay out of it when I hear it except when it comes from friends, because I don't want to participate and have to say, actively, "no, this is why this is bullshit, *laundry list of offenses over my tech career*" but it's harder and harder to stay quiet as the only woman on the team

    Anyone have any specific studies or papers they refer to on this thing, because oh boy does it sap my enthusiasm for the work when it happens at every damn workplace. I'd love for the industry to get to the point where I don't have to justify my employment on the regular.

    "You know what would be awesome for me, as a vastly underrepresented minority in the tech/engineering world, would be if I wasn't seen as a diversity hire at every single place I've worked just because I'm a woman."

    That's kind of my take on responding to those kind of offenses. I don't ever know if statistics and such would actually convince people, but making it more personal to them could help.

    This reminds me of two weeks ago when one of my trainers brought up how his aunt was talking to him about feminism and male privilege and it was genuinely the most uncomfortable I've ever been in a professional work environment. I wanted to scream when one guy in the class said that there aren't a lot of women in tech stuff because they have more options because a lot of the men in tech he has met are introverts and have a harder time doing jobs like being a doctor because of human interactions.

    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

    I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    I work this weekend booooo. But that means I get to leave at noon tomorrow yaaaayy

  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I also don't want to pretend I speak for you Cello

    That was more just a "here's a statement you could potentially use" kind of thing

  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »
    So without getting into a ton of the details, a recurring conversation around me seems to be the old "why do we have to do the whole diversity hiring thing, it means we have to hire people who don't have the most merit" argument, and it is exhausting

    To this point I've opted to stay out of it when I hear it except when it comes from friends, because I don't want to participate and have to say, actively, "no, this is why this is bullshit, *laundry list of offenses over my tech career*" but it's harder and harder to stay quiet as the only woman on the team

    Anyone have any specific studies or papers they refer to on this thing, because oh boy does it sap my enthusiasm for the work when it happens at every damn workplace. I'd love for the industry to get to the point where I don't have to justify my employment on the regular.

    "You know what would be awesome for me, as a vastly underrepresented minority in the tech/engineering world, would be if I wasn't seen as a diversity hire at every single place I've worked just because I'm a woman."

    That's kind of my take on responding to those kind of offenses. I don't ever know if statistics and such would actually convince people, but making it more personal to them could help.

    Eh, for a person who's unaware (or intentionally obtuse) of the difficulties of entering the industry as a minority, that'd sound like you were agreeing with them; they'd just see that as more reason to get rid of "diversity hiring".

    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I also don't want to pretend I speak for you Cello

    That was more just a "here's a statement you could potentially use" kind of thing

    Yeah, my problem is that as satisfying as that would be to say, and I've been very tempted to do so, it might come across as more overly emotional than I probably should

    Some of these guys seem like the type that could be understanding of it if there was logic to back it up, which'd likely be how I'd play if if I get looped into one of these again, but it's hard to walk that fine line of not sounding hysterical making that sort of plea without other stuff to it, and that'd be the kind of rep that'd stay with me I don't want

    Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I've had that "you're about to get sick" feeling in my nose for two days and am otherwise not symptomatic so today I was like FUCK IT WE'LL DO IT LIVE and I'm at work.

  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Jon Bois said it best.

    https://youtu.be/ZymSrDfLhW8?t=1m35s

    Quote is at 1:35 if the embedding breaks the timestamp.

    Here's the screenshot:
    tQ0gndz.png

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I also don't want to pretend I speak for you Cello

    That was more just a "here's a statement you could potentially use" kind of thing

    Yeah, my problem is that as satisfying as that would be to say, and I've been very tempted to do so, it might come across as more overly emotional than I probably should

    Some of these guys seem like the type that could be understanding of it if there was logic to back it up, which'd likely be how I'd play if if I get looped into one of these again, but it's hard to walk that fine line of not sounding hysterical making that sort of plea without other stuff to it, and that'd be the kind of rep that'd stay with me I don't want

    It's some god damn bullshit is what it is.

  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Yay prednisone! Also got my brain pills refilled!

  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Coming back to work after my vasectomy. Largely everything is fine but it just feels uncomfortable. Also I went to bed really late and slept really poorly too, so that doesn't help either.

This discussion has been closed.