As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

YOUTUBE thread for internet videos and stuff

TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
it's time to watch dumb videos and fill in your watch history, even though the algorithm will eventually just recommend nazis no matter what you watch

prozd's impressive mastery of short form comedy

https://youtu.be/wnnCd3haipo

lindsay ellis's impressive skill at milking more film theory 101 out of some truly awful films

https://youtu.be/pFMiuAtbMO0

and the dude who animates super best friends as my little pony characters just posted a new thing, which is... impressive commitment to a bit?

https://youtu.be/ol3R4DacE2I

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx-U_MgyCSA

The whole Family Feud series on Press Buttons 'n' Talk is well worth watching. They get so mad about some of the answers.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Somebody needs to help Lindsey stop making videos about Transformers.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    A mule is not a horse!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    as someone who is from hong kong and chinese/scottish/english i had a lot of complicated Feelings these videos stirred up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StW7oGSR_Mg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQyxG4vTyZ8

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    lindsay ellis's impressive skill at milking more film theory 101 out of some truly awful films

For those who wish to know why Adorno seems to be shitting all over Jazz, trust me he would love to tell you. The upshot is that popular music is shit and valueless, while "Serious Music" such as Beethoven, quote, "derives its musical sense from the concrete totality of the piece which, in turn, consists of the life relationship of the details and never of a mere enforcement of a musical scheme."

Basically he tries to make am argument that popular music is devoid of all but the merest mechanical necessity to be called "music", and Jazz was just the new hotness at the time. "Rhapsody in Blue" came out in 1924, which pegs Adorno at 27 when it hit the concert halls. Give it a few years to mature and you are looking at an early middle aged dude wondering what the hell these kids are listing to these days.

Also racism.

halkun on
  • Options
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    halkun wrote: »

For those who wish to know why Adorno seems to be shitting all over Jazz, trust me he would love to tell you. The upshot is that popular music is shit and valueless, while "Serious Music" such as Beethoven, quote, "derives its musical sense from the concrete totality of the piece which, in turn, consists of the life relationship of the details and never of a mere enforcement of a musical scheme."

Basically he tries to make am argument that popular music is devoid of all but the merest mechanical necessity to be called "music", and Jazz was just the new hotness at the time. "Rhapsody in Blue" came out in 1924, which pegs Adorno at 27 when it hit the concert halls. Give it a few years to mature and you are looking at an early middle aged dude wondering what the hell these kids are listing to these days.

Also racism.

[ProZD]GO FUCKIN JERK OFF TO BEETHOVEN YOU WRINKLY OLD FUCK[/ProZD]

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

Just as soon as it stops being fascinating. Also I dont know if youre aware but it actually has a purpose. Lindsay’s goal is to do a video on every facet of film theory through the lense of the transformers because despite being garbage(perhaps because of) they provide something worth talking about for every facet of film theory.

So the whole plate probably aint stopping anytime soon.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I wanted to post this in another thread but I already posted like 6 videos, so I'll put it here instead
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQLLgYV1Wug

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

Just as soon as it stops being fascinating. Also I dont know if youre aware but it actually has a purpose. Lindsay’s goal is to do a video on every facet of film theory through the lense of the transformers because despite being garbage(perhaps because of) they provide something worth talking about for every facet of film theory.

also she just did a three part series on the Hobbit that was vaguely soul-crushing! so there's no escape

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    A mule is not a horse!

I guess they can get half credit for that answer.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    halkun wrote: »

Also racism.

How did he deal with Beethoven's popularity and the commercial nature of his works?

Couscous on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    So uh, some heavy stuff from Game Theory
    https://youtu.be/cWTEE4SkCLY

damn, just damn.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Synopsis: Game Theory's channel's original editor/animator lost a bout with suicidal depression, which sucks.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

also, as she pointed out in the first part, the general lack of critical discussion about one of the most popular and profitable series of films in recent history beyond "shit's bad, fam" is something that should be fixed

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    The nearby buildings were evacuated after the retaining wall collapsed, so nobody was inside when that happened

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    The nearby buildings were evacuated after the retaining wall collapsed, so nobody was inside when that happened

Thank god

That first video was perfect suspense

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oof. I am not the biggest fan of Game Theory (I have watched it a lot, especially the Five Nights stuff, but something just rubbed me the wrong way), but no one should have to go through that.

If anyone here is part of that crew, my condolences.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »

As someone who works in the demolition field...

AHHHH WHERE ARE THEIR HARD HATS OR EYE PROTECTION OR CAUTION TAPE NEAR SUDDEN SHEER DROPS?!?!?!?!?!

No wonder they have things collapse on them, they clearly have no standards.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Anyone remember Time Commanders? Want to know how an hour long ad for Total War got BBC funding?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b61uwK2Bwps&t

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

also she just did a three part series on the Hobbit that was vaguely soul-crushing! so there's no escape

why does it hurt so much?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Because it's real

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular

My heart feels something, is it... hope? Hope that Peter K Rosenthal is back?

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Oof. I am not the biggest fan of Game Theory (I have watched it a lot, especially the Five Nights stuff, but something just rubbed me the wrong way), but no one should have to go through that.

If anyone here is part of that crew, my condolences.

One of the many reasons I appreciate having @Amara_P in my life, is how her presence has helped me to not live like that anymore.

I still have bad days, sometimes, but I don't deal with a cloud hanging over me as a default setting. And I am very grateful for that.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh cool, your avatars go together!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    As good as Rosenthal is, I think they ended these on a really amazing note.

• Options

Tebow was an awesome option QB and that doesn't really work in the NFL O
    He worked in the total mess that was the Broncos pre Manning

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I don't know what that means. Was he a good QB or not?

Fencingsax on
  • Options

Minus all the luggage and media circus that came with him he could have been good
    Elite good

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    his throwing mechanics were so slow as to be comedic, and despite many years of hearing how he rebuilt his throwing mechanics, he never sucessfully learned how to throw in a way that didn't give dbs a small eternity to respond to every throw.

so no, he couldn't really ever have been good as he could never actually do the thing qbs need to do, throw the football.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

He was excellent for college football and terrible in the much larger, faster, more throw based nfl.

This discussion has been closed.