As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You play video games on a [Nintendo], right?

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I say it "Zeebs"
    I have no idea if this is correct

I basically add an extra syllable in there for the second E

people made fun of me for this in the old forum Vent like ten years ago!

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I say it "Zeebs"

I basically add an extra syllable in there for the second E

people made fun of me for this in the old forum Vent like ten years ago!

Zeebees? Zebus?

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    like the second but with more of an "eh" sound, I guess

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I say it "Zeebs"

In Other M it gets pronounced "zeb-ess".

I'd say both make sense.

we do not accept other m as an authoritative source 'round these parts

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    zee-bass

BahamutZERO.gif
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    apparently can only be used in handheld mode though

That's weird.

If the power drain is as bad as Ive read Id guess they cheaped on the battery or it just doesnt have one

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

so it's probably supposed to sound like "barrier", right

what even went on with that mistranslation, anyway, did they just decide to keep it because it sounded cool (and "maru mari" didn't?)

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    It could also be Variable suit as it allows you to traverse in enviroments with extreme tempratures but Barrier makes more sense

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    It's actually supposed to be pronounced like Jeff Goldblum

It's a very, uh, suit

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh God, is he going to Boss Keys Other M?

I really need to finish that game off. But that means starting it. And finishing Prime 3.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    unlike his Zelda series, I agreed with damn near everything he said about the first game, and Zero Mission

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Splatoon added Ancho-V Games and 4 new weaponds just now. The Bloblobber is very silly and its bubble projectiles bounce off walls.

Mx. Quill on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Oh God, is he going to Boss Keys Other M?

I really need to finish that game off. But that means starting it. And finishing Prime 3.

Nah, I don’t think he will. Looks like he’s using Metroid as a starting point to unpack what makes a good Metroidvania.

• Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I say it "Zeebs"

I'd say both make sense.

Considering that the original Metroid spelled it "Zebeth" I'd say that "Zeb-ess" is correct

kofz2amsvqm3.png
    Moriveth wrote: »

It's a very, uh, suit

fucking god damn it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    I say it "Zeebs"

I'd say both make sense.

Considering that the original Metroid spelled it "Zebeth" I'd say that "Zeb-ess" is correct

the japanese is more than one syllable, yeah, although I dunno what the correct pronounciation of ゼーベス sounds like

zee-bess is how I usually pronounce it, I think?

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

It's a very, uh, suit

HOW SUIT IS IT?

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    I say it "Zeebs"

I'd say both make sense.

the japanese is more than one syllable, yeah, although I dunno what the correct pronounciation of ゼーベス sounds like

zee-bess is how I usually pronounce it, I think?

Japanese is actually super consistent in their vowel pronunciations. A double vowel just means you hold the sound longer.

A = ah
    I = ee
    U = ooh
    E = eh/ay (not real sure how best to spell this one out, it’s kinda in between those sounds)
    O = o

Single U’s are typically shortened or even dropped completely from pronunciations, so Other M is pretty much right, though maybe hold the e sound in the first syllable a little longer than you’d think.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    What about "ou"

Grey Ghost on
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    What about "ou"

Ou is a long O, but in katakana as above they just use that dash to indicate long vowels.

Along the same lines a word with ei is a long E.

(Ask me too much beyond this and I won’t remember because I took 2 years of it in high school and I am now an old man)

rhylith on
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    What about "ou"

that's for when I do something impishly charming

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Bowser Jr, Boo, Chain Chomp, and Waluigi are all slower now

Adventure Mode has gotten a quick-retry button

Trick shots can now be assigned to right stick only, removing the accidental double Y press

6F32U1X.png
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    So the Stardew Valley multiplayer update is officially out for PC today

and they've announced that the Switch version is next up for the update, which is cool

Hopefully sooner than later, but I guess we'll see

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    unlike his Zelda series, I agreed with damn near everything he said about the first game, and Zero Mission

I loved Zero Mission.. but yeah. It holds your hand SO much. :(

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    several of the chozo statues can just be skipped, but it doesn't make for a very exciting first experience

Fusion had the same problem but at least most of the time Adam was like "sorry, this isn't on the map. good luck dude!"

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I don't particularly mind if the game says "go in this direction" because it gives you a general area to aim towards but you still have to fill out all the blank spaces in the map yourself.

I liked zero mission's way of doing it more than fusion's but I would have liked it even more with an option to not have "go here next" waypoints at all, like the option to turn off hints in the Prime games.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I have a condition where I react the exact opposite way to objectives than I'm supposed to. As soon as a game tells me "go here" I will do anything and everything but go there, to the point where I'm actively hurting my own enjoyment of the game by wasting a ton of time trying to find other places to go.

Just, don't give me objectives unless I explicitly ask for them, video games.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I have a condition where I react the exact opposite way to objectives than I'm supposed to. As soon as a game tells me "go here" I will do anything and everything but go there, to the point where I'm actively hurting my own enjoyment of the game by wasting a ton of time trying to find other places to go.

Just, don't give me objectives unless I explicitly ask for them, video games.

If a game has a "mission compass" or whatever, I will turn it on and then head in the opposite direction every time

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how Breath of the Wild and Odyssey influence Metroid Prime 4. While the term is Metroidvania, Metroid and Zelda share pretty similar design spaces in terms of game mechanics and such.. and BotW just reinvented its half of the style. Hell, you could easily re-skin BotW and make an amazing Metroid game. So I wonder if the next Metroid will be similarly open, with only vague (optional) pointers of where to go, and the ability to set your own markers and maps. Conversely, Odyssey hid stuff EVERYWHERE, which is fun to explore, but it didn't do a ton of handholding off of the critical path.

Basically, I want a Nintendo that trusts its players to be intelligent. I actually approve of things like the skip systems and easy modes in certain Nintendo games, but again.. OPTIONAL.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I'm actually looking forward to seeing how Breath of the Wild and Odyssey influence Metroid Prime 4. While the term is Metroidvania, Metroid and Zelda share pretty similar design spaces in terms of game mechanics and such.. and BotW just reinvented its half of the style. Hell, you could easily re-skin BotW and make an amazing Metroid game. So I wonder if the next Metroid will be similarly open, with only vague (optional) pointers of where to go, and the ability to set your own markers and maps. Conversely, Odyssey hid stuff EVERYWHERE, which is fun to explore, but it didn't do a ton of handholding off of the critical path.

Basically, I want a Nintendo that trusts its players to be intelligent. I actually approve of things like the skip systems and easy modes in certain Nintendo games, but again.. OPTIONAL.

It's been such whiplash watching the Grumps playing Skyward Sword and thinking of how the same company that made that would go on to make BotW and Odyssey.

Fi just never stops.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    god please dont let them open world metroid prime

you already took mario and zelda from me

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    prime 4's being outsourced to bandai-namco I think? so I'm not holding as high expectations as I would for an actual nintendo studio project, but I still hope it will be good.

BahamutZERO.gif

Uh...

What do you mean? I mean, Metroid's already characterized by this large, open-ended world where everything interconnects, you just need certain items to act as keys/checkpoints to advance.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Metroid is already pretty open world

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

Uh...

What do you mean? I mean, Metroid's already characterized by this large, open-ended world where everything interconnects, you just need certain items to act as keys/checkpoints to advance.
    I dont agree with the overwrought despair but Metroid games are definitely not open world in the usual sense

Areas are big and interconnected but everything is gated and in normal gameplay you need to do things in a roughly set order to progress

2x39jD4.jpg
    "open world" carries a very specific connotation of game style even if you can technically describe a metroidvania's map as being a world that is fairly open

BahamutZERO.gif
    prime 4's being outsourced to bandai-namco I think? so I'm not holding as high expectations as I would for an actual nintendo studio project, but I still hope it will be good.

I thought that was just a rumor? All we know is Retro is not working on it.

This discussion has been closed.