As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You play video games on a [Nintendo], right?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    One of the nicest things about BOTW speedrunning, as a spectator, is that nearly all of the game's traversal glitches are visually spectacular in a way that some games' aren't

Yeah my favorite speedruns are where I, with no prior experience with the speedrunning of the game, can immediately parse how cool it is. Games where the runner has to explain to you what you're looking at and why it's significant are way less engaging. Which isn't to say I don't like to hear about how that stuff works, of course, I just like that to be supplemental to the gameplay aspect.

"And here I'm just going to wiggle in place for the next five minutes to make something happen on a split frame button push where if I fail I have to start wiggling all over again. This will save me about ten seconds."

I can still appreciate that stuff because the art and skill of optimization is intellectually fascinating and the complexity of a well-developed speedrun is pretty fascinating on that level, but it's not very engaging as entertainment for me.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    One of the nicest things about BOTW speedrunning, as a spectator, is that nearly all of the game's traversal glitches are visually spectacular in a way that some games' aren't

Yeah my favorite speedruns are where I, with no prior experience with the speedrunning of the game, can immediately parse how cool it is. Games where the runner has to explain to you what you're looking at and why it's significant are way less engaging. Which isn't to say I don't like to hear about how that stuff works, of course, I just like that to be supplemental to the gameplay aspect.

"And here I'm just going to wiggle in place for the next five minutes to make something happen on a split frame button push where if I fail I have to start wiggling all over again. This will save me about ten seconds."

I can still appreciate that stuff because the art and skill of optimization is intellectually fascinating and the complexity of a well-developed speedrun is pretty fascinating on that level, but it's not very engaging as entertainment for me.

What, ball samus rolling back and forth onto a platform edge repeatedly as the runner and people on the couch get steadily more anxious not do it for ya?

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Ilpala wrote: »

What, ball samus rolling back and forth onto a platform edge repeatedly as the runner and people on the couch get steadily more anxious not do it for ya?

Those are the runs where I play granblue or something on the other monitor

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »

Only when it's Samus attaining omnipresence.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I'm a bit miffed I can't register this buck at the stable

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    the fact that you can't keep the ghost deer is a crime

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Ghost deer? Man that sounds awesome.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    There are a bunch of awesome rideable animals you can't keep. Deer, bears, skeletal horses...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

It reminds me of donkey kong 64 that way

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

That's a comparison I literally never expected to hear

What do you mean

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

That's a comparison I literally never expected to hear

What do you mean

just that it has a lot of tricks that are really cool and surprising the first time you see them, like the moonkick

obviously botw is on another level just because of what's being rendered, if nothing else

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    I hate dk64 normally but I love it in speedruns because it's a pretty fucked up game held together with spaghetti code

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Thanks @Peewi

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Delphi was a real good town in Wandersong
    Reuniting the guy with his mum through music definitely made me well up. Viola is also a darkhorse favourite so far.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    I may have been playing TWEWY a little bit.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dp0fu-BUwAAN_iC.jpg

The ESP'er points is basically number of battles won, plus some other minor stuff. Apparently you need 10k points to get a star in that, so fuck that noise.

I don't like most of the new music in the new chapter. There are some really bad remixes. I do kinda like the song for the new end boss, which is titled "???" in-game.

Could you surmise what happens in the A New Day scenario?

Sure
    Neku and Beat wake up at the scramble with no explanation. New character Coco the reaper is there and she acts like Neku and Beat should know her. She decides to follow Neku and Beat. Neku has visions of an unknown girl (who apparently was also shown at the end of the mobile version) and of buildings disappearing.

They receive a mission that says to leave Shibuya.

As they walk around it becomes clear that the city has been messed with. All the areas connect to the wrong areas. At various points you meet Uzuki and Kariya, Shika and Rhyme, and Joshua and they're all acting weird.

Eventually they meet up with Mr Hanekoma, who seems to be acting somewhat normally, and he explains that the Shibuya they're in is a giant noise and that Coco made it. Then you fight Coco. (Or at least I think it's her noise form. The game doesn't say explicitly and there's no transformation cutscene.)

After the fight Neku and Beat are at Udagawa. They call Shiki and Rhyme to confirm that it's the real world, which it is. Coco is also there and she's mad and she has a gun and fucking shoots Neku. Joshua shows up with a gun, so she runs away.

There's a conversation between Joshua and Hanekoma. Joshua says it's too bad Neku's dead, but he isn't needed anymore. Apparently Shinjuku has been erased, (what Neku had a vision about earlier) which they call an inversion and say is unexpected.

Coco is shown alone at the Shibuya river. She talks about how the Game must continue and has apparently decided that Neku is necessary for that. She says that Neku needs a strong partner and then she is seen reviving Minamimoto.

The end.

So basically the plot of the remixed bonus chapter is that it's a remixed bonus chapter and setup for a sequel

The more I think about it, the less I like it.

Wow, that's... yuck.

Getting blitzball shaped bomb flashbacks up in here.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    My favorite thing in DK64 is that you can literally just swim through walls with no tricks

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    My favourite visual from a speedrun (albeit from limited viewing) is the Super Mario Sunshine one where you enter a portal right at the same time as you defeat one of those goop plants and the game does some real magic.

36:21 here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu7jY3OkvVY

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    The dk64 summoning salt video is my favorite one on his channel

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm not going to buy Starlink just for the Arwing

I'm going to buy Starlink just for the Arwing

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Good news you can get it all digitally!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

but then I don't get an Arwing figure!!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

bad news: if you buy physical you get 2 pilots, 2 ships, and 2 weapons for $75
    digital gets 7 pilots, 5 ships, and 12 weapons for $60
    digital deluxe is $80 and gives you +1 ship, +3 pilots, and +3 weapons (i.e. all the stuff)
    all the stuff physical is $250

you do get a rad Arwing figure, but the pricing model makes physical not really worth it unless you really want that Arwing
    also, ships act as extra lives and weapons are used in gameplay so it's really just salt on the wound

I'm not really sure why they made the physical edition so much worse than the digital, to be honest? Did they just want to piss on retailers?

• Options
    I literally only care about the Star Fox stuff and I want the Arwing, so the real solution here is “wait a year and a half, at which point retailers will be paying ME to take it off the shelf”

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I literally only care about the Star Fox stuff and I want the Arwing, so the real solution here is “wait a year and a half, at which point retailers will be paying ME to take it off the shelf”

Well the fat arwing will be like 10 bucks before long dont worry

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »

digital deluxe is $80 and gives you +1 ship, +3 pilots, and +3 weapons (i.e. all the stuff)

you do get a rad Arwing figure, but the pricing model makes physical not really worth it unless you really want that Arwing
    also, ships act as extra lives and weapons are used in gameplay so it's really just salt on the wound

I'm not really sure why they made the physical edition so much worse than the digital, to be honest? Did they just want to piss on retailers?

Bottom kinda dropped out of the toys to life market while this game was in development.

They probably aren't super optimistic about physical sales for this thing.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

you can wait till later when someone will sell it

• Options
    yeah, ebaying the figures separately once people start to get rid of them (but keep the game) seems like a decent idea

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »

because the physical edition has the physical ship toys I assume

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Wouldn't it actually be less expensive to buy both the physical for the Arwing and the digital to have access to all the stuff in-game than buying everything physical piecemeal?

• Options
    if you don't mind paying $75 for a toy arwing I guess

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    There is a digital everything bundle for those who bought the physical game. It's 60 dollars.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    instead of buying the $60 DLC bundle, maybe buy the $80 complete base game bundle and not pay $120 total?

the pricing is fucked up
    Wouldn't it actually be less expensive to buy both the physical for the Arwing and the digital to have access to all the stuff in-game than buying everything physical piecemeal?

ayuup

you could buy two Arwings and still be ahead, really

Neveron on
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

The controller mount doubles as a display stand when you're not using it.

9jub8dzn44tg.jpg

You can open and close the wing engines.

6azulj4dcnp9.jpg

The ship mounts on the controller over the pilot, so you can see Fox in the cockpit.

ulf5v3ywmaod.jpg

The rear engine lights up when you're playing.

pudbo9az9qvk.jpg

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Damn that is pretty cool

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    I mean, the game still has some pretty cool stuff too.

0wnf2s7ng3ah.jpg

j1xpdyhokf5q.jpg

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    ...Fuck

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I've always loved the Arwing design
    It's kind of my go-to mental image as soon as space fighters are being discussed

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm about to play Fire Emblem for the first time, via the Wii U VC. All I know is that characters permanently die if I'm that bad. I know shit-all about this series. Well that and there's some character in a later game that basically wears nothing but body-fitting pantyhose. And like a cape I think.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    which fire emblem?
    the GBA one just called "Fire Emblem: No Subtitle" in the US?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.