As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[No Man's Sky] Pilotable mechs? Living ships!?

bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
edited April 2020 in Social Entropy++
https://youtu.be/3UojqamPutg
– Virtual Reality support
– VR user Interface
– VR user interactions
– VR controller support
– 16-32 multiplayer
– Multiplayer missions
– Ambient multiplayer
– A new social hub
– New traveller NPCs
– Dynamic NPCs
– Alien Languages
– New alien encounters
– Technology trees
– Gameplay Balance
– Discovery Page overhaul
– Planetary Charts
– Creature taming/riding/milking
– Multiplayer missions
– Cooking & Recipes
– Cooler Aliens
– Improved base building
– Power & Logic & Industrial Bases
– Optimisation
– Starship enhancements
– First person exocraft driving
– Vulkan
– PC graphics options
– Expanded controller support
– Sitting
– Version 2.0

Current Bug Status: Haunted Paradise Planet

2.4 (exomech) full patch notes

SE++ Anomalous Entity Database

sC4Q4nq.jpg
bsjezz on

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I still haven't bumped into the free freighter event :(

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I’ve been spending most of my time warping madly around blue systems

Unfortunately even though they’re supposed to have all the rare shit and more exciting planets it mostly so far has meant that they have constant storms that melt your face within a millisecond

Not a lot of weird stuff that I’ve found yet

I did go to one planet that had weird rocks that looked like blood vessels, complete with what looked like fluid pumping through them

joshofalltrades on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    Huzzah. Logging back in today cleared up that build issue. Which is nice.

Few questions. So, should I be able to just pick up my base computer again? Cause that's certainly a thing it's not letting me do.

Also, I have 11 Salvaged Tech units. I assume I should just toss them into the blue print analyzer and start makin' stuff, right? Anything in particular?

...this game kinda just tosses your ass into things a bit it seems.

a space station portal and the metal structures (cylindrical room especially) are best to start with for your base blueprints. the cylindrical room (and a door to get in) enable you to carry out a whole new questline. you might need to clear out some cheap decorative stuff to get them in the list, though

you can't pick up the base computer - it's stuck, at the very least til you use it to delete your base

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I just left a planet that had basically nothing on it. No flora, no fauna, only one kind of mineral, the geography wasn't even that wild

But it was covered in these opalescent bubbles in sizes ranging from the size of your hand to a ten story building

They didn't do anything, these bubbles -- I couldn't mine them, or pop them, and they seemed to rise and fall and flow with no real rhyme or reason -- but it was profoundly unsettling all the same so I mined as much of that blue star shit as I could carry and booked it right the hell out of there

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I really want to get deeper into the exploration for NMS but I gotta do this base stuff, first

get things cracking and all

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    Huzzah. Logging back in today cleared up that build issue. Which is nice.

Few questions. So, should I be able to just pick up my base computer again? Cause that's certainly a thing it's not letting me do.

Also, I have 11 Salvaged Tech units. I assume I should just toss them into the blue print analyzer and start makin' stuff, right? Anything in particular?

...this game kinda just tosses your ass into things a bit it seems.

a space station portal and the metal structures (cylindrical room especially) are best to start with for your base blueprints. the cylindrical room (and a door to get in) enable you to carry out a whole new questline. you might need to clear out some cheap decorative stuff to get them in the list, though

you can't pick up the base computer - it's stuck, at the very least til you use it to delete your base
    An important note about the list of blueprints which took me much longer than it should have to realize:

you can, uh, scroll down.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    when do I get a ramp that can connect to a door

because I'm having problems

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »
    when do I get a ramp that can connect to a door

because I'm having problems
    I haven't messed around much with it yet, but supposedly the terrain manipulator can create reasonable workarounds (you can change the size/shape of the creation mode).

SE++ Anomalous Entity Database

(i guess just chuck your deets in for people to add and never get around to playing with?)

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I have one big problem with journalist coverage of this update.....how in the hell has no one written a review titled “New Man’s Sky” yet???

Fake edit: PS: Copyright, copyright, copyright

@DrZiplock to answer your question at the end of last thread: I think base computers are intended to stay as a marker for the base itself. At least, I’ve never been able to remove them either after being placed.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    As a first timer on Xbox, I haven't been this into a game in so long. It scratches so many of my itches, just magical stuff

But man they desperately need to add like little bite sized randomly generated enemy bases and dungeons. I wanna fight my way aboard a freighter and kill the captain. I know the gun combat is rudimentary/awful but I just think in the wider context of the game it would add so much

I need like enemy battlecruisers and invasions and such. My mind races. This game gets my sci fi goat up

Also a planet cracker weapon. I know I know how would you balance that. Just find a way! At least let me glass a planet!

Also add in mechs, let me titanfall onto a planet

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    As a first timer on Xbox, I haven't been this into a game in so long. It scratches so many of my itches, just magical stuff

But man they desperately need to add like little bite sized randomly generated enemy bases and dungeons. I wanna fight my way aboard a freighter and kill the captain. I know the gun combat is rudimentary/awful but I just think in the wider context of the game it would add so much

I need like enemy battlecruisers and invasions and such. My mind races. This game gets my sci fi goat up

Also a planet cracker weapon. I know I know how would you balance that. Just find a way! At least let me glass a planet!

Also add in mechs, let me titanfall onto a planet

As much as I agree that stuff would be epic I absolutely do not think hello games has it in them to do it. They are really struggling just to get this update out and it has at least 2 or 3 game stopping and one game corrupting bug. Maybe in a year or two they could get a very shallow version of the space battles but no way they would let a player destroy a planet, even with however many of them there are in the game.

Also I posted this in the other thread but here is a work in progress Google sheet file for the single double and triple refiner recipes. Here

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    One thing I would love in NMS is a way to scrap ships in order to keep a ship building component; for rxample, if I see a ship with a cool cockpit, scrap the ship to get that cockpit. If a see a ship with Matrix-Nebuchadnezzar hover pads, scrap it to keep those pads. If I see a ship with a cool nose, etc...

So that I can change the estethics of a ship, making it the perfect BSG Viper/B-Wing/Nebuchadnezzar/Firefly etc.

Because all the ships seem to be built from a set of components, and it doesn’t even have to be symmetrical.

Or maybe I have been playing New Gundam Breaker too long and just want my own customizable exterior ship (with choosable colours please).

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
    I think the game owns as is, and I'm perfectly happy if they decide to just fix the bugs and put a bow on it

Miss me? Find me on:

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Ship questions:

Is there any benefit to sending multiple frigates on the same mission?
    Does a freighter need warp fuel to be summoned to another system?
    Does the freighter need the same hyperdrive upgrades as your small ship to be summoned to blue/red/whatever stars?

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Sending multiple frigates increases odds of success during missions

You don’t need to fuel your freighter to summon it

You don’t need to upgrade the freighter hyperdrive to bring it to differently-colored systems

• One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »

This exact thing happened to me, except that I spent a minute flying around the base in a circle like a dumbass

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Found some absolutely gorgeous sights last night. These were taken without using any filters:

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    Sending multiple frigates increases odds of success during missions

You don’t need to fuel your freighter to summon it

You don’t need to upgrade the freighter hyperdrive to bring it to differently-colored systems

Awesome!
    My fighter is essentially going to be my tip of the spear, sort of deal. It's already got two of the drive upgrades and will soon have the third, so I'll just use it to jump to any new and weird systems, and then call in my freighter and switch to my hauler for actually doing the heavy duty gathering

Unfortunately I'm also hitting this thing where I've only gotten nanites from the last.... 10 buried tech modules I've found
    Is it known if this is a bug or there's just a low chance of blueprints dropping?

it seems to be mostly nanites

I wish there was something that specifically dropped salvage tech

Miss me? Find me on:

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm also hitting this thing where I've only gotten nanites from the last.... 10 buried tech modules I've found
    Is it known if this is a bug or there's just a low chance of blueprints dropping?

I had this problem in one specific system, then I warped somewhere else and suddenly started getting all salvage tech.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »

Korvax, buddy, I'm not sure that's what they meant by "go on a journey of self discovery".

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    1.53 is out for consoles. I finally have a blueprint analyser on my old save.

Time to find a nice and/or weird planet to claim and start that base building.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    1.53 is out for consoles. I finally have a blueprint analyser on my old save.

Time to find a nice and/or weird planet to claim and start that base building.

Man i deleted my old save because it got to a point where it kept crashing the game.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I put 70 hours into the game at launch. Put anothet 10 or so on a new save during atlas rises but went back to my old save because I had a maxed out ship, inventory and multitool, and a ton of unlocked langauge. Put another 10 hours to do all the base stuff and half of the story stuff, until a bug made it do I couldn't finish the atlas path and I stopped.

Got back in, spent 10 hours restoring my gear and what not. Then I hit up a factory.

After 90 hours on this save, I FINALLY got the Atlas Pass v2 blueprint. :razz:

Yeah, the buried salvage thing is quite random; I landed on one planet, ran around a bit and had collect 27 Salvaged Technology (it was always in stacks of 3 which never happened to me) and another planet had nothing but the yellow beaming buried tech that only seems to give nanites.

So my experience is:
    - Buried Technology (yellow/orange) : always nanites
    - Buried Technology (blue) : salvaged or nanites

I think I once saw one emitting white rays, and one green, but that might have been due to atmospherical lighting.

If you're desperate for it, a lot of times merchants on planets will sell salvaged technology, or even one of the trade terminals on stations will

signature-deffo.jpg
    Olivaw wrote: »
    If you're desperate for it, a lot of times merchants on planets will sell salvaged technology, or even one of the trade terminals on stations will
    Yeah, you just have to keep your eyes open and check if it isn’t navigational data, which they sell more often.

Olivaw wrote: »
    Yeah, you just have to keep your eyes open and check if it isn’t navigational data, which they sell more often.

Or technology modules, which for some reason are a totally separate thing

signature-deffo.jpg
    salvaged tech can frequently bought (as a 'component') from the blueprint vendors in outposts

i wonder if planets have an 'age' or civilisation tenure stat, which determines likelihood of ruins and/or buried tech?

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I have decided that my base will be a series of discrete huts, each housing either one of the technology stations or some other bit of kit like a farm or my Stargate

This makes my base look like a coastal space-age Bletchley Park, and saves me having to come up with any coherent design

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Legit one of the best thing this game does is when building underground it'll automatically clear the terrain to fit whatever you're putting down.

or in the case of floor tiles clearing enough space for anything you want to put on them.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Has anyone else had all the planets and systems they've renamed revert back to the generic random names? Online services have been down since launch so the little indicator next to each one has been yellow for days now, but the names stayed what I'd chosen. Today they all reverted and I can't rename them.

This is incredibly frustrating as the permanence of renaming stuff is one of the things that I love. I guess I'm putting this game down again.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Yall I just found a glass planet and it is CRAZY

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Bogart wrote: »
    Has anyone else had all the planets and systems they've renamed revert back to the generic random names? Online services have been down since launch so the little indicator next to each one has been yellow for days now, but the names stayed what I'd chosen. Today they all reverted and I can't rename them.

This is incredibly frustrating as the permanence of renaming stuff is one of the things that I love. I guess I'm putting this game down again.

It has been a common issue since launch. I assumed that in the intervening two years they had fixed it, but it may be that with the servers getting slammed they just can't keep up.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    You'd think the save file would remember what I called stuff, though. OK, the discovery servers are down (all the time, it seems), but after X days the game just gives up and says never mind we put your names in the garbage. Awful.

Bogart wrote: »
    You'd think the save file would remember what I called stuff, though. OK, the discovery servers are down (all the time, it seems), but after X days the game just gives up and says never mind we put your names in the garbage. Awful.

Yeah that is what happens. After a certain amount of time, everything resets. Like I said I assumed they had fixed it, mostly because the game was such a buggy piece of garbage at launch that I only played the first week and then regretted my purchase. So I never checked to see if they actually fixed it or not.