As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] Pilotable mechs? Living ships!?

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I wish there was a smoother transition from "enough money to get a A-class ship and maybe a decent multi-tool to 'upgrade to a new freighter'

Like, I'm not low on funds by any means, but S-class ships look to be in the 30-60 million range at least. Even with scanner upgrades gonna take me a while to get that.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I think I might sit tight and wait for the thousand patches to all be out

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I wish there was a smoother transition from "enough money to get a A-class ship and maybe a decent multi-tool to 'upgrade to a new freighter'

Like, I'm not low on funds by any means, but S-class ships look to be in the 30-60 million range at least. Even with scanner upgrades gonna take me a while to get that.

Keep hitting Manufacturing Facilities until you get the real lucrative recipes. My routine since the most recent patch let me use the large refiners (that let me actually CRAFT the lower end components like Nitrogen Salts and Enriched Carbon) is to harvest my farms, empty my gas harvesters from bases 1-3, then combine and refine stuff until I end up with 2 items that sell for 15 million each. It takes almost no time, so five minutes after I log on I get 30 million.

And I can only make two because one of the components, Acid, takes 600 Fungus. As I refine excess Fungus into ammonia and use that to plant more biodomes of fungus, soon I'll be able to make a 3rd Acid, which means I'll make 45 mil as soon as I log in.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »

Keep hitting Manufacturing Facilities until you get the real lucrative recipes. My routine since the most recent patch let me use the large refiners (that let me actually CRAFT the lower end components like Nitrogen Salts and Enriched Carbon) is to harvest my farms, empty my gas harvesters from bases 1-3, then combine and refine stuff until I end up with 2 items that sell for 15 million each. It takes almost no time, so five minutes after I log on I get 30 million.

And I can only make two because one of the components, Acid, takes 600 Fungus. As I refine excess Fungus into ammonia and use that to plant more biodomes of fungus, soon I'll be able to make a 3rd Acid, which means I'll make 45 mil as soon as I log in.

I'm personally aiming for Living Glass at the moment - it's only 500k/unit, but creating a field of Gamma Weed is incredibly easy, thanks to uranium being easy to synth in high quantity (especially if you have atmosphere condensers on cold/radioactive worlds.)

(Biodomes are nice, but in the long run, setting up ancillary 'garden' bases on biome worlds are better because you can create large fields of plants.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I ended up doing a bunch of trade route stuff tonight, made about 200 million in a few hours, bought a new ship and stockpiled a whole lot of cash for when I find a nice new freighter sometime.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    So, here are the recipes you need:

Oxygen Concentrator:

50 Concentrated Carbon(C+) - > 250 Oxygen(O2)

This is part of one of your core virtuous cycles (carbon nets you oxygen nets you carbon).

Atmospheric Concentrator

50 C+ - > 250 Radon(Rn) (when deployed on cold/radioactive worlds)

The uranium economy is built on radon, and radon is built on atmospheric concentration.

Base Refineries

2 O2 + 1 C+ - > 6 C+

The other side of the virtuous cycle. Learn it, love it, never mine carbon again.

1 Sodium Nitrate(Na+) + 1 O2 -> 2 Na+

Another oxygenation process that gets you more sodium. Again, processes like these keep you from mining.

1 Pure Ferrite(Fe+) + 2 C+ -> 3 Magnitized Ferrite(Fe++)
    1 Fe++ - > 2 Fe+

Building bases? Get very acquainted with the above cycle. Also, the first part is another building block of the uranium economy, because...

1 Fe++ + 1 Rn = 3 Uranium(U)

Yes, folks, uranium is that ridiculously easy to produce at scale. A dash of magnetic iron, a dab of radon, and now you're a nuclear power.

1 Stellar Metal + 1 Chromatic Metal - > 4 Stellar Metal

Yep, you'll never need worry about chromatic metal ever again. Plus, this makes completing the Korvax dictionary so much easier, since you'll effectively have infinite Copper. Copper is okay (2:1 conversion ratio), but Chromium (1:1), Emeril (2:3), or Indium (2:4) are much better.

1 C+ + 1 Na+ -> 2 Dioxite(CO2)

Looking to have glass everywhere? Yeah, you'll be wanting this.

Portable Refinery

50 C+ - > 150 Carbon(C) (Deploy, fuel, then retrieve.)

You could crack concentrated carbon in the base refinery...or you can deploy your portable refinery, fuel it with concentrated carbon, and then pack it up, letting it crack the carbon for you in a fraction of the time.

Farming

100 U + 25 Chromatic Metal = 1 Gamma Weed (produces Gamma Root)

With uranium being easily scalable, Gamma Weed production is easy. Combined with Coprite plants, you're well on your way to being a lube magnate.

100 CO2 + 25 Chromatic Metal = 1 Frostwort (produces Frost Crystal)

If you want glass, you want frostwort. And with dioxite easily producible at scale, it's easy to make fields of the stuff.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Pugneum's also great for expanding your pure ferrite.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I haven't gotten far enough to build any of these facilities, so I'm curious: Do you need to manually go in and plug these ingredients and fuel into every refinery (and any other machine) and then manually go through and collect all of the output resources? Is there a way to automate that stuff?

Basically, no matter how trivial they make it to manually do those steps, I know from experience that after doing it like ten times I will start to very strongly feel like I'm doing chores, and could be spending my time in a way I enjoy more. On the other hand, when I discovered the BuildCraft mod for Minecraft years and years ago - a mod that allowed you to build automated mining engines and set up resource transport pipelines to ferry the extracted blocks wherever you needed them - I dove back into that game hard, setting up elaborate storage and pipeline networks. I assume that NMS doesn't let me automate that extraction, combination, and storage of resources in the same way, as I haven't heard much talk about that sort of thing.

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »

It also requires you to get shot at, usually. Meanwhile, getting yourself ass deep in carbon is easy.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I haven't gotten far enough to build any of these facilities, so I'm curious: Do you need to manually go in and plug these ingredients and fuel into every refinery (and any other machine) and then manually go through and collect all of the output resources? Is there a way to automate that stuff?

Basically, no matter how trivial they make it to manually do those steps, I know from experience that after doing it like ten times I will start to very strongly feel like I'm doing chores, and could be spending my time in a way I enjoy more. On the other hand, when I discovered the BuildCraft mod for Minecraft years and years ago - a mod that allowed you to build automated mining engines and set up resource transport pipelines to ferry the extracted blocks wherever you needed them - I dove back into that game hard, setting up elaborate storage and pipeline networks. I assume that NMS doesn't let me automate that extraction, combination, and storage of resources in the same way, as I haven't heard much talk about that sort of thing.

Sadly, you have to set things up manually. However, you can cook refiner recipes to fill an exosuit slot without intervention, and the concentrators are fuel and forget.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Living Glass
    Gamma Weed
    You guys are just making stuff up now

• Options

It also requires you to get shot at, usually. Meanwhile, getting yourself ass deep in carbon is easy.

Not saying it should be the only source, but don't just toss the shit away when you get it. Picking up every "kill 5 sentinels" mission you see eventually makes it very worthwhile to hit a supply depot and wipe a few out.

Also, Pugneum shows up on NPC traders, so you don't HAVE to get shot at to get it.

• Options

Not saying it should be the only source, but don't just toss the shit away when you get it. Picking up every "kill 5 sentinels" mission you see eventually makes it very worthwhile to hit a supply depot and wipe a few out.

Also, Pugneum shows up on NPC traders, so you don't HAVE to get shot at to get it.

Meanwhile, I can use virtuous cycles at a base I'm building to make the building materials I need,while I'm working on it. Save the pugneum for the stuff that needs it.

• Options

Sadly, you have to set things up manually. However, you can cook refiner recipes to fill an exosuit slot without intervention, and the concentrators are fuel and forget.
    That's too bad. I feel like if a game starts this kind of Powers of Ten-style crafting (where first you're clawing resources out of the cold earth with your bare, aching fingers; then you're building automated resource gatherers; then you're strip-mining mountain-sides; then you're tossing planets into your ever-hungry forge to craft up some Decorative Figurines or whatever), it really aught to go whole-hog and let you get - after the appropriate amount of work and effort - to the point where you can automate a self-sustaining process, without having to babysit everything.

I'm already mildly turned off by the crafting, because you need all these empty backpack slots for intermediate crafted components, and you need to keep in mind - or else have to keep checking over and over - how many of which thing you need to craft in order to craft the other thing in order to craft your ultimate thing. I feel like at a certain point, I should be allowed to just build out a Warp Cell Assembly Line or whatever, so that after my frigates go pillage an unsuspecting solar system for materials and then dump them into the pocket-universe infini-coffers, I can walk up to the assembly line and press a button to get a Warp Cell.

Which reminds me, I should install Factorio.

• Options

That's too bad. I feel like if a game starts this kind of Powers of Ten-style crafting (where first you're clawing resources out of the cold earth with your bare, aching fingers; then you're building automated resource gatherers; then you're strip-mining mountain-sides; then you're tossing planets into your ever-hungry forge to craft up some Decorative Figurines or whatever), it really aught to go whole-hog and let you get - after the appropriate amount of work and effort - to the point where you can automate a self-sustaining process, without having to babysit everything.

I'm already mildly turned off by the crafting, because you need all these empty backpack slots for intermediate crafted components, and you need to keep in mind - or else have to keep checking over and over - how many of which thing you need to craft in order to craft the other thing in order to craft your ultimate thing. I feel like at a certain point, I should be allowed to just build out a Warp Cell Assembly Line or whatever, so that after my frigates go pillage an unsuspecting solar system for materials and then dump them into the pocket-universe infini-coffers, I can walk up to the assembly line and press a button to get a Warp Cell.

Was halfway to typing out "Have you tried Factorio" before I finished your post.

Keep an ear to the ground for SatisFactory, that game looks promising.

• Options

There are refinery recipes for things like Warp Cells and Advanced Ion Batteries that let you have the refinery make them.

• Options

There are refinery recipes for things like Warp Cells and Advanced Ion Batteries that let you have the refinery make them.
    Ah, well! That's something, at least!

• Options
    Keep an ear to the ground for SatisFactory, that game looks promising.
    Whoa. I somehow managed to miss news of this. It looks pretty rad! Thanks for the heads-up - I'll definitely be on the lookout for whenever this hits.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »

I'm personally aiming for Living Glass at the moment - it's only 500k/unit, but creating a field of Gamma Weed is incredibly easy, thanks to uranium being easy to synth in high quantity (especially if you have atmosphere condensers on cold/radioactive worlds.)

(Biodomes are nice, but in the long run, setting up ancillary 'garden' bases on biome worlds are better because you can create large fields of plants.)

My main base (Steaming Plains) has a lot of biodomes, but also has a large field of Star Bulbs. Both because they're pretty, and because they're useful. Any left over after crafting get turned into paraffinum, which gets turned into ammonia, which is either used to plant more fungus, build atmosphere condensers, or craft Herox (a component of Geodesite which is a component of the Fusion Igniter).

I've also started planting Cactus at my 2nd base (Vulture Mesa Outpost), and my 3rd base (Tauntaunathon Radon Farm) has a small forest of Frost Crystals growing wild outside.

I don't really want to grow outdoor fields of Fungus, Gamma Weed, or Solanium because frankly I just think those planets are ugly and I don't want to deal with the environmental hazards. My first two bases only get occasional storms where I just don't go outside, and my 3rd base is dug into a hill so I never actually go outside to deal with the cold.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    This is all very useful information.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Is there any reason to have more than one S-class scanner upgrade? They don't appear to stack.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Is there any reason to have more than one S-class scanner upgrade? They don't appear to stack.

They stack up to three, if you place them next to each other. This leads to a single animal scan being in the 150-200k range.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I was on an empty rock, with eerie sounds coming from all directions.

Maj267Z.jpg?1

So after that got a little too uncomfortable, I jumped to the next system that flashed as actually being occupied instead of barren.

Ikg8c9k.jpg

It scanned as anomaly planet, the rings aren't quit on the same plane, yes we are going to there.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    New Experimental Patch
    NEXT Experimental Branch 15/08
    Hello everyone,

We are continuing to address the highest priority stability issues reported by the community, as well as gameplay fixes and improvements. As always, thank you for playing the game and taking the time to report any issues you encounter!

Please note that due to the large number of changes in this patch, there is always the possibility it may introduce new issues that haven't been caught in test. We'd like to recommend that all players back up their save files, by making a local copy of the st_[userid] folder found here: %appdata%\HelloGames\NMS\

Note that we don't anticipate any issues here. However, performing your own backups could mean the difference between resuming play immediately, or waiting for the next patch.

Feedback and reports of new bugs/issues being found on Experimental are welcome, so please post them here, or submit a ticket to Zendesk[hellogames.zendesk.com] with the phrase "Steam Experimental 15/08" in the ticket title.

To play in Experimental, right-click on No Man's Sky from the Steam library page and select "Properties". Among the available tabs will be the "BETAS" tab. Select "Code: 3xperimental" in the dropdown menu under "Select the beta you would like to opt into".

Latest changes on Experimental (15/08):
    Fixed an issue that prevented planets from being added to the Discovery timeline when exiting certain ship models
    Fixed an issue that prevented players from using the Pulse Engine to escape between waves of Sentinel space fighters

Fixed an issue that could cause base NPC workers to become unresponsive after moving / deleting your base
    Substantially increased the length of time fuel lasts in the hydroponic trays

Fixed a crash related to creatures
    Fixed a crash related to terrain generation
    Fix for an issue with PC shader compilation when the game is first booted which would occasionally result in a crash
    Various performance improvements
    Various improvements to load times (approximately 5-10% improvement to Warp times, 30% improvement to initial game load)
    Fix to shader generation to boost performance on lower spec PCs

Fixed an issue that incorrectly limited the number of storage containers that could be built on the freighter
    Fixed an issue that could prevent construction in the freighter base
    Fixed an issue that could cause the 'Nearby buildings' scan on the signal booster to fail

Fixed an issue that prevented exploration-focussed frigates from charging their scanners
    Fixed an issue that prevented damaged frigates from being completely repaired

Fixed an issue where players could start their game in inappropriate systems when starting in multiplayer

Marked icons are now automatically cleared on arrival at the marked target
    Fixed a number of cases where the HUD would prompt to mark icons that did not need marking

Improved target locking for ship PvP
    Improved the appearance of HUD markers on player ships
    Fixed a number of visual issues around using the Analyser Visor in very specific circumstances

Improved the mapping of the Steam Controller

Removed an obsolete building product from the blueprint analyser
    Combat music now triggers when fighting biological horrors
    Slightly increased the damage dealt by biological horrors
    Fixed an issue that could cause expedition rewards to artificially increase after save/loading
    Fixed an issue where the Personal Forcefield could be deployed on 0% charge
    Fixed an issue where the Mining Beam and other weapon effects displayed the wrong colour in multiplayer
    Fixed an issue where the screen on the Multi-Tool would display the wrong ammo count for the Blaze Javelin
    Fixed an issue where the Multi-Tool was invisible in Photo Mode
    Fixed an issue where the Personal Forcefield would remain in-world forever when cycling Alt Weapon modes
    Fixed an issue where meleeing while sprinting could cause an animation glitch

Improved the appearance of clouds in 4K/1440p modes
    Visual improvements made to some exotic biomes
    Visual improvements made to the space station technology merchants
    Increased the visibility of underground toxic hazards
    Visual improvements to buried technology modules

Thank you,

Hello Games

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Kinda wondering if I should just wait til they finish more patching and then start all over again. Running into more bugs and crashes as they continue to fix more things.

I'd hate to pour time into a save that straight out dead ends due to some weird bug, and it looks like I'm on that track.

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I finally had my first instance where i went to a freighter captain to negotiate a purchase and i guess he said no because i immediately found myself in space.

And i died.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    I think I have a candidate for a base site.

dNTsigm.jpg?1

• Options
    Btw, that planet was pretty neat. It was an ocean world where the oceans became boiling storms and the creatures what dwelt on the bottom became big lizard sea creature hybrids.

• Options
    Putting this here for personal and public reference because I can't find a plain list online.

Rare resources used by the farmer quests (in order):
    Coprite - 40
    Dioxite - 100
    Phosphorus - 100
    Ammonia - 100
    Pyrite - 100
    Paraffinium - 120
    Mordite - 30

Additionally, to plant at least one of a few others (but not for the questline):
    Emeril - 100
    Indium - 60
    Paraffinium - 20

Consider grabbing those while out exploring and storing them for easier farm quests later.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Apparently you can turned off the "thethered" piloting. Kinda wish I had known about that like 130 hours ago.

• Options
    Apparently you can turned off the "thethered" piloting. Kinda wish I had known about that like 130 hours ago.

I just discovered tonight that there's a second level of scanner zoom if you click the right mouse button a second time. I thought it was click & hold.

• Options

I tried it but it felt too jerky to me. I wish there was something in the middle.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    I think this is a bug.
    StVp9DV.png

And maybe this too.
    8zwa192d0yol.png

Couscous on
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    D E H U M A N I Z E Y O U R S E L F A N D F A C E T O B L O O D S H E D

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    A lot of the space stations and outposts in my warp list have that same sort of junk going on, it’s really obnoxious

It’s been happening since I started playing again, I’m a little afraid something is wrong with my save the way they keep popping up

• Options
    I was expecting more than just some annoying sentinels when I went down to the blood planet. The thirsty planet right next to it was weirder despite not being very horny.

• Options
    Putting this here for personal and public reference because I can't find a plain list online.

Rare resources used by the farmer quests (in order):
    Coprite - 40
    Dioxite - 100
    Phosphorus - 100
    Ammonia - 100
    Pyrite - 100
    Paraffinium - 120
    Mordite - 30

Additionally, to plant at least one of a few others (but not for the questline):
    Emeril - 100
    Indium - 60
    Paraffinium - 20

Consider grabbing those while out exploring and storing them for easier farm quests later.

Dioxite, uranium, and paraffinium can be produced at scale. Emeril and indium, being stellar metals, can be scaled via chromatic expansion.

• Options
    I am not sure how clicking the button to compare a freighter to the one I currently owned got me kicked out into space to die, but it did.
    GXx3hUr.jpg

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I really wanna play this but every time I check twitter there's another post about a new patch that's about to drop and I don't want to start building shit only to have it fucked up by a change.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I hadn't played in a bit, then went to fire up my PS4 and it gave me this weird error where I have to install the next system update via thumb drive? But I don't have one right now so I'm gonna just wait till I get paid next to buy one and do that. But I was kind of done with the game a bit anyway I guess?

Goose! on