As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Thanks For The Deal, I Hate It

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Nought wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Wouldn't a happy compromise to the NI border problem be a special economic zone, as others have said, with some of that sweet sweet EU development money put into NI as compensation for not having a seat at the table where the rules are made.

Or does that make too much sense for Brexiteers to accept it?

You aren't getting a zone without 4 freedoms

God dangit. For a momentI was like "But that's what the zone is for", but you're right.

Customs regulations and the four freedoms are not the same thing.

I think I might have to stop trying to solve this Idiots Catch 22 before I get a head ache.

there is of course another glorious incentive: the eu has every conceivable reason to make the british government look as stupid as possible, and from their point of view the total collapse of the current uk government position followed by either ge or second referendum only adds a set of otherwise impossible desirable outcomes for them (customs union deal with a labour victory, possibility of a remain victory in a second ref, etc). so even if you can imagine a possible solution that requires a bit of flexibility from the eu its profoundly in their interest to not consider it as hard as possible

EU is not actively making the British government look as stupid as possible. That's all on themselves.
    There was nearly a deal, but the British government didn't think it Brexit enough.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Boris Johnson's dad on ITV campaigning for Thatcher to be on the new £50 note, and of course saying "Brexit means Brexit". Fuck that entire gene pool.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I thought Brexit meant breakfast

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Boris Johnson's dad on ITV campaigning for Thatcher to be on the new £50 note, and of course saying "Brexit means Brexit". Fuck that entire gene pool.

To be fair, Rachel Johnson is so anti-Brexit that she quit the Conservative party, joined the Lib Dems, and tried to run as a candidate.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    the choice of ireland as a sticking point from the side was genius in retrospect, and they didnt even have to do it disingenuously. but everything was aligned, from the failed election forcing them to grub for dup votes to the lack of internal tory party consistency, to make it just blow everything up over and over again

Let's hope it's not so very genius that actual people just blow actual other people up over and over again

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Reality continues to feel like it's being written as a TV show.

Disagree. There's no way this show would have been renewed for a second season.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Depends on the genre. If it was supposed to be some worthy, West Wing-esque drama, sure, it would've been cancelled. If it's a political satire, though, or a reality TV format that people watch to laugh at others? It'd run for a long, long time.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    the choice of ireland as a sticking point from the side was genius in retrospect, and they didnt even have to do it disingenuously. but everything was aligned, from the failed election forcing them to grub for dup votes to the lack of internal tory party consistency, to make it just blow everything up over and over again

Listen carefully and you'll hear Armando Iannucci scribbling furiously.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »

Listen carefully and you'll hear Armando Iannucci scribbling furiously.

Or a new Blackadder.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Bercow to step down next year:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/16/john-bercow-to-stand-down-as-commons-speaker-in-wake-of-bullying-inquiry
    Commons Speaker John Bercow has told friends he will stand down next summer, the BBC has reported.

The Speaker, who has denied accusations of bullying staff, had come under intense pressure from MPs after damning report into Westminster’s workplace culture.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    He's been a terrific Speaker who I guess is also kind of a monster behind the scenes.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I get the impression everyone, behind the scenes, at Westminster is a bit of a monster.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Thirith wrote: »
    Depends on the genre. If it was supposed to be some worthy, West Wing-esque drama, sure, it would've been cancelled. If it's a political satire, though, or a reality TV format that people watch to laugh at others? It'd run for a long, long time.

Nah, this Ireland thing is pure good quality drama. It's a small piece of information introduced years and years earlier that suddenly becomes the fulcrum of a completely different major plotline in a completely organic way. This is like top-quality narrative economy.

Our major plotline from a few seasons back about Irish unrest suddenly intersects with an entirely new plot about British anti-foreigner insanity mid-season and upends everything.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I mean it’s funny and all except that for the past year every time I see an English or Northern Irish City trending on Twitter I get a moment of panic thinking the IRA lost patience and have bombed somewhere.

The bad old days were BAD old days and I’d really appreciate it if your government could please pull themselves together and sort this shit out before we go back to them. Please. Thanks. Now would be good.

Besides, we were all enjoying the mess you were making of yourselves but now you keep setting yourselves on fire and it’s taking all the fun out of it.

• Options
    I'm incredulous/depressed/unsurprised/amused/depressed again that they're not even disagreeing over the plans for the border, no no no.
    This is getting stuck on the plans for what to do if we have no plans for the border (which we don't).

We're not arguing over the plan, we're arguing over the 'in the event of no plan' plan.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Believe me I am ashamed

Not just over Brexit (I am there too but whatever) but over how our government is treating the Good Friday agreement

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    as a note eu have already vetoed everything may has said in parliament last 2 days

lbmw4ia5zv55.png

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Theresa May: My Brexit plan is not dead
    Well, I'm certainly reassured.
    Theresa May has insisted her Brexit proposals are still alive as she heads to Brussels for a key summit.

The prime minister will try to convince EU leaders to back her approach when she addresses them before dinner later.

But expectations of a breakthrough are low, with talks deadlocked over the Irish border issue.

Jeremy Corbyn said the government was "too weak and too divided" to come up with a solution to solve the problem.

The two party leaders clashed over Brexit at Prime Minister's Questions, with the prime minister rejecting the Labour leader's claim that her planned long-term relationship with the EU, known as the Chequers plan, was "dead".
    Technically she's not wrong, because it was never alive in the first place.

Still, I am prompted to think of something else for absolutely no reason whatsoever:
    012e3ojrd9kd.png

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Lots of talk on the Guardian blog about an extension to the transition period.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    How about a 20 year extension?

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    If true it was probably the best outcome we could have hoped for at this stage.

But the thing is that there us no mechanism for an extension afaik. The EU would have to unanimously agree to not accept Britain leaving and then the whole thing just falls into limbo. Not 100% sure about this though.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    How about a 20 year extension?

So long as we renew it every 19 years.

On more general terms, I find it funny that the Irish border issue is considered a "problem". It was never a problem - it was a gift wrapped solution for any government willing to take it. How do you sell an EEA-like arrangement where you remain in the single market and customs union (thus avoiding massive economic damage) to all the hardcore idiots that support Brexit? Simple, you have a problem that can't be solved in any other way and is too important to ignore - i.e. a peace process and an international treaty. It won't convince all of the idiots of course, but it's enough of a fig leaf to get away with it. It's one of many outs that May was given and chose not to take.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Mc zany wrote: »
    If true it was probably the best outcome we could have hoped for at this stage.

But the thing is that there us no mechanism for an extension afaik. The EU would have to unanimously agree to not accept Britain leaving and then the whole thing just falls into limbo. Not 100% sure about this though.

transition agreement isnt article 50 period - its the post article 50 period!

and the longer the transition period the more shit the brexit bois gonna kick up

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular

Shehab Khan is a political journalist for the Independant

Let this sink in. A major factor in our no deal plans was the assumption that the French would just let everything through.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    "I thought we were bros!"

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    They thought France wasn’t going to be fussy about the stuff they’re importing or the stuff moving through their country?! France?!

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    They thought France wasn’t going to be fussy about the stuff they’re importing or the stuff moving through their country?! France?!

Delusion is one hell of a drug.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Does May and Friends(tm) not realise that no deal means they are outside the customs union?

How are they going to keep all the dirty foreigners out themselves if they don't check everything comming into Britain from France?

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

And meanwhile the UK was going to rigorously check every French truck for illegals?

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

Let this sink in. A major factor in our no deal plans was the assumption that the French would just let everything through.
    0.o
    Wat?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It turns out Brexit is liars and morons

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    That is the stupidest thing that I have heard in several hours.

• Options
    Is... is Alice in Wonderland the blueprint being used to plan Brexit?

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Is... is Alice in Wonderland the blueprint being used to plan Brexit?

It's more like speed. Ukeanu needs to keep the bus going above article 50 or it explodes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

Ah yes, le perfide France

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    The extent to which our plans have revolved around the EU agreeing not to follow its own laws is staggering to me.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Denial and delusion was the only thing the Brexit campaign ever had going for it, so why stop now?

• Options
    KetBra wrote: »

Ah yes, le perfide France

Work anecdote.
    I work in warehousing company that also owns part of a trucking company.

At one point we sent a truck from Finland to Britain. In France it was stopped something like 20km from Calais, and it turned out someone had mistyped one character on the import licence.
    Everything else was in order, and they could confirm the right number by phone.

French customs police sent the truck back to Finland to get the right papers.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Pretty sure this is how they are negotiating right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTAxFWzc1n4

C'mon France, all I need is you to waive some checks at the border.
    Nah.
    Aww c'mon
    Nah
    Aww C'MONNNNNN
    Ohh...
    *hangs up* YES!

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

A plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

This discussion has been closed.