As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for an audio switcher

Basically, I have my consoles hooked up to my pc monitor. It doesn’t have any built in speakers, but it has a 3.5mm jack for audio output. I’d like to find a device that lets me plug my computer speakers 3.5mm jack into it, and then plug my monitor and desktop into said device so I can switch between the two. Anyone have any recommendations?

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    What are your monitors connecting to your computer over? Is it HDMI? If it is, HDMI already carries sound. You should be able to plug your speakers directly into the monitor, and then change your default audio device to your display in your windows sound settings (assuming your graphics card HDMI audio pass-through is plugged into your motherboard anyway).

• Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    The monitor connects to my graphics card via display port cable.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Can you not just use a Y cable to split the inputs? I'm having trouble picturing what you're doing here.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I want to use my 2.1 speakers to receive audio from both my desktop and my monitor (which my gaming consoles are connected to), Though preferably not at the same time.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    Looking around some more, it’s possible these speakers might do the trick. They have an extra audio input jack in one of the satellite speakers that I could hook my monitor up to. And my current 2.1 speakers are getting on the old side at about 10 years or so.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    @Metallikat
    This might work? If the speakers have a hard wired cable with a male end then you'll need one of these, too.
    The benefit here is that splitter has volume controls so you can turn down the input you're not using.

If you really want it to be a switch then there's this, but that'll cost a bit more.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Thanks for the links! Looks like I have some options to consider.