As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DEAD THREAD] Caves of Phalla

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Still annoyed at being killed on night one, before I even got a chance to check the thread (was without internets that day). On the other hand, I wouldn't have had time to play as actively as I normally do so... meh. Damn gnomes.

We didn't kill you. We killed the guy who killed you. If anything, you should be on our side.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Holy crap yes. Losing our thrall and Fish totally blows.

Hi dead people. I object to the thread title, I was not a victim of gnomish terrorism.

Fixed.

I totally am not seeing what you changed. I bloody well went back to that post and reread it. Then I copy and pasted each next to each other and previewed it to get the formatting right....I still don't see it.

I fixed the thread title to reflect that not everyone died to Gnomish terrorism.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2007
    thank god today is opposite day

Unknown User on
    edited May 2007

Hi dead people. I object to the thread title, I was not a victim of gnomish terrorism.

Fixed.

I totally am not seeing what you changed. I bloody well went back to that post and reread it. Then I copy and pasted each next to each other and previewed it to get the formatting right....I still don't see it.

I fixed the thread title to reflect that not everyone died to Gnomish terrorism.

Yea, I went into "spot the funny" mode followed by a "What?" mode. Totally missed that glaring change. It's funnier now though.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Uhm...well... cause you had no connection to me, you always seem to live into the late game and I had no other ideas?

Sorry. I know it's a sucky reason to find out you died. I hate dying when I didn't screw up but it sometimes happens.
    Nah, it was more shocking than upsetting. I figured there had to be someone more worthwhile out there to kill than me, but I guess not. Just the way the cookie crumbles.

Note to future bad guys: If you ever want to kill me because "I always seem to live into the late game," please consider that I've only lived past Day 3 twice. Thank you for your time.

Locus on
    edited May 2007

Fixed.

Yea, I went into "spot the funny" mode followed by a "What?" mode. Totally missed that glaring change. It's funnier now though.

I really appreciate that you missed it, it made it even better.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    I hope so too. It does seem a bit suspicious, timing-wise. Of course, if no suspects had come to light, (and I had lived) I was planning to bandwagon Devoutly Apathetic to death for his gnome avatar. Of course, that would have fallen about equidistant between suspicion, playfulness, and wanting to kill the good players off ASAP.

Yea, the avatar thing is kinda silly. BTW my avatar was up like this before Role PMs were even handed out, I just wanted to parade David the Gnome around the forums for awhile.

Oh, and that last bit is entirely the real reason you died. I totally should have gone for Ardor as well. I never kill Ardor soon enough.

I remember that... you changed it because I mentioned that you always got bandwagoned due to your cartoon devil avatar. That wouldn't have stopped me from tossing you under the train though. :)

Ardor always lives a very long time, considering... I'd have thought that he'd be a solid Day 1'er by now.

GrimmyTOA on
    edited May 2007
    5 bucks says we lose atleast one more gnome to inactivity.

edit; and someone still alive reads this and votes the other one off

Unknown User on
    edited May 2007
    I hope so too. It does seem a bit suspicious, timing-wise. Of course, if no suspects had come to light, (and I had lived) I was planning to bandwagon Devoutly Apathetic to death for his gnome avatar. Of course, that would have fallen about equidistant between suspicion, playfulness, and wanting to kill the good players off ASAP.

Yea, the avatar thing is kinda silly. BTW my avatar was up like this before Role PMs were even handed out, I just wanted to parade David the Gnome around the forums for awhile.

Oh, and that last bit is entirely the real reason you died. I totally should have gone for Ardor as well. I never kill Ardor soon enough.

I remember that... you changed it because I mentioned that you always got bandwagoned due to your cartoon devil avatar. That wouldn't have stopped me from tossing you under the train though. :)

I made such a D: face when I got the evil PM. I'm all like, "I bloody well can't change it now...".
    Ardor always lives a very long time, considering... I'd have thought that he'd be a solid Day 1'er by now.

I was worried about it pointing directly to me. I'm going to stop worrying about that now, from now on Ardor is my day 1 vote. Fuck it.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    edit: far worse things have been revealed in the dead thread before.

Certainly, but it's not necessary to contribute additional information, especially due to the earlier suspicions that a living player might be reading this thread.

But, those suspicions proved to be completely unfounded...

Especially since I was the living player who was supposedly cheating. Not a thing you want to see after you die, going to the dead thread and see people claim your cheating (especially since the goddamn information I supposedly got was posted in the main thread).

Anyway I left the information in my original post, because its not revealing the identities of any living players. If people want the dead thread to be more restrictive then that the OP should say so.

edit: I also know how it feels to not know what is going on behind scenes, so I will always reveal any information I have that doesn't reveal living players identities.

frandelgearslip on
    edited May 2007
    We must be thinking of a different cheating situation then.

Unknown User on
  • frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This pm I sent to tormented soul after his posts #428 & #430 in the main thread
    Nobody is accusing you of anything yet you keep defending yourself and ardor, that makes you look extremely guilty.

I would say this in the main thread, but I find it more probable that your a villager or a good special rather than a bad guy, so I will say it here and not draw more attention to you.

So yeah I was a total idiot there.

frandelgearslip on
    edited May 2007
    Whoah. Cj's playing a risky (and hopefully fatal :twisted:) game. If there's only one alterna-race left to kill -- which may (or may not) be the case, this game could be over tomorrow night.

Hmm. It's either risky or brilliant. I'm not sure which.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, probably both.

GrimmyTOA on
    edited May 2007
    Whoah. Cj's playing a risky (and hopefully fatal :twisted:) game. If there's only one alterna-race left to kill -- which may (or may not) be the case, this game could be over tomorrow night.

Hmm. It's either risky or brilliant. I'm not sure which.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, probably both.

Hey Grim, do you feel comfortable saying what you guys knew at the beginning of the game? I'm curious how much info you started out with.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Abraham F. HawkAbraham F. Hawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I didn't even get killed by gnomes, you guys.

It was the vigilante.

Ooh, if I ever get any powers like that in a Phalla, butts will literally be kicked!

Bad guy-butts, of course.

Abraham F. Hawk on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007
    How much info? We knew virtually nothing more than was in the thread. One kill each/night. Kill one of each race to win. Each others' names. That's about it.

We weren't even told how many/what races there are.

GrimmyTOA on
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's possible the phalla hype is dying down as well, probably a combination of many things. I just hope it isn't due to the D&D game giving off a not-so-exciting vibe.

No offense to the guy who is running that, but that beast looks quite immense and fairly dull.

And slow.

Not to mention that Les Mis is just... man. Maybe if the theme of the dull and slow mechanic Phalla wasn't also, itself, dull and slow.

Don't get me wrong; It's very pretty, the writing is quite eloquent, and the mechanics are fairly complex and ambitious, but to an outside observer, it's grinding.

Okay, politeness dictates I don't bitch about this elsewhere, so I'll do it here:

Any one of us could crap out 75% of the narrations. Google Les Mis lyrics, swap cast member names with player names. The rest are 'okay'.

- At least 25% of the players are inactive and have been such for several days.
    - Not more than 25% of the results have been on time.
    - The rules were and still are unclear. I still don't even think that the narrator knows them.
    - The OP wasn't updated for over a week. Players have been picking up the slack.
    - Nobody knew how many people they could execute for over a week...or did it change suddenly without warning?
    - For the second (third?) time the results are going to be an entire day late.
    - ...which is hilarious, because someone may have backed into a win and he doesn't even know for sure.
    - Players are disgusted to the point of quitting. <- That is not an opinion.

(I believe the Jacobins auto-won, personally. Yay for them I guess.)

It's doubly irritating because this has locked up the rest of the games for at least a month.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Buzz BuzzBuzz Buzz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The number of people who could be executed in Les Phalles changed on day 9, probably. This is likely the huge event that Fencingsax alluded would happen around day 10. However, no one seems to ever remember this, which is why our good friend Grimmy will likely be dying when FS updates. Die, cultist. :P

Buzz Buzz on
    edited May 2007
    Buzz Buzz wrote: »
    The number of people who could be executed in Les Phalles changed on day 9, probably. This is likely the huge event that Fencingsax alluded would happen around day 10. However, no one seems to ever remember this, which is why our good friend Grimmy will likely be dying when FS updates. Die, cultist. :P

'Probably', 'likely', 'alluded'.

"Huge event"?

I think we see the problem here.

tuxkamen on

Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    edited May 2007
    Yes, the rules aren't as clear as we'd like. That said, when life gives you lemons...

I know boring old maxims aren't all that satisfying, but I'd save your comments on the game until after it's officially over. Believe me, you're not the only one who's frustrated. You didn't play in Les Phalles, so I'm pretty sure you can guess that the people who invested their time into this game are equally if not more frustrated than yourself. You don't have that much longer to wait, after all. :)

Buzz Buzz on
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    FS probably thought up this "huge event" after the constant bitching and pointing out that his game was going to take over a month to complete.

If I hadn't been killed off I was going to quit (I was waiting for my stonecutter to PM me back about whether or not he wanted me to reveal him.)

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    tuxkamen wrote: »

Why don't you all just quit as a group, then?

I said eloquent, etc. b/c I really am just casually observing. The mechanics looked complex, but at a cursory glance seemed to work, but would take a long time to execute.

Squashua on
    edited May 2007
    Buzz Buzz wrote: »
    Yes, the rules aren't as clear as we'd like. That said, when life gives you lemons...

I know boring old maxims aren't all that satisfying, but I'd save your comments on the game until after it's officially over. Believe me, you're not the only one who's frustrated. You didn't play in Les Phalles, so I'm pretty sure you can guess that the people who invested their time into this game are equally if not more frustrated than yourself. You don't have that much longer to wait, after all. :)

I did play, on the first go-around. Once he restarted I told him I wanted out (after getting the distinct impression that it wasn't thought out completely).

What I want is to make sure that people are not going to give him a 'oh, it was a new mechanic, it was just rough around the edges' pass. If they are really more irritated (as they should be), they should not be holding it in politely and waiting for the beast to be born. It's okay to tell the narrator that he needs to shape up.

tuxkamen on

• GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    For a while people were blaming the players for why the game wasn't working. And they did not appreciate me voicing my opinion if I said anything bad about the game.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
    edited May 2007

Why don't you all just quit as a group, then?

I said eloquent, etc. b/c I really am just casually observing. The mechanics looked complex, but at a cursory glance seemed to work, but would take a long time to execute.

One group did, more or less, from what I understand.

The 'villagers' have no reason to quit; since they haven't been pruned for inactivity, all they have to do is sit there and let the monsters out themselves in ignorance of the rules or off each other. Despite that, I believe that a monster group may have won if only because they were marginally less confused/annoyed than the other two.

tuxkamen on

edited May 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »
    For a while people were blaming the players for why the game wasn't working. And they did not appreciate me voicing my opinion if I said anything bad about the game.

It's not right to blame the players when you don't give them clear information about how to play, their win conditions, or how to use the information they're given. They started outing each other not realizing what that meant, but I believe that's because they didn't understand the point of knowing that information (to keep the competing monster groups in check and the villagers down).

tuxkamen on

edited May 2007
    What I want is to make sure that people are not going to give him a 'oh, it was a new mechanic, it was just rough around the edges' pass. If they are really more irritated (as they should be), they should not be holding it in politely and waiting for the beast to be born. It's okay to tell the narrator that he needs to shape up.

No one's going to give him that pass. If I can figure out how it works and tell him how it needs to happen, which I did several times, he should be able to do the same, as should the other players.

We were told in topic by ElJeffe to stop shitting on FS. Hence, we are not shitting on FS at the time being. That said, even he later expressed his frustrations about FS's inability to deal with the inactives. Several people are frustrated, and we are not discussing it in topic because the game is almost over and we have been told to stop getting on FS's case.

Buzz Buzz on
    edited May 2007
    In all fairness, the way I see it keeping the bitching out of the game thread is not just for FS's sake, but also for the players who are just trying to muddle through to the end of the game as best they can.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    FS probably thought up this "huge event" after the constant bitching and pointing out that his game was going to take over a month to complete.

If I hadn't been killed off I was going to quit (I was waiting for my stonecutter to PM me back about whether or not he wanted me to reveal him.)

phalla noob question, what is a stonecutter?

Inquisitor on
    edited May 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »

phalla noob question, what is a stonecutter?

They're sort of pre-made networks. Villagers without powers, but who know the identity of one or more other villager(s). Gives them someone they can trust from the outset.

GrimmyTOA on
  • PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Stonecutters or masons are specials for the good guys who start the game knowing each other.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ah, most interesting. Thanks!

Inquisitor on
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    robothero wrote: »
    I really hope that the gnome avatar concept on the main thread wasn't taken directly from the gnome avatar discussion on this thread. I only question this because of the timing, and I'd hate for someone to get bandwagoned for 1. something gathered from a place you shouldnt be reading or 2. something as stupid as an avatar.

Hell, I know alot of people who make it a point to change their avatars/sigs for the game.

Sorry for bringing it up, then. XD

I never read these threads, heh. This is actually the first one I've got to take part in; every other Phalla I've been in I either made it to the end or had my neck snapped in the final narration. (curse you, cultist!)

So yeah, coincidental. Sorry if the timing seemed odd.

That all said, consider this an advertisement for the Zodiac Phalla story, coming to you after these messages!

Hylianbunny on
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I !sign up.
    Srzly

Frosteey on
  • Anthrax! Please.Anthrax! Please. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hylianbunny if that Zodiac Phalla story is referencing FFT, I will sex you.

I mean. You know. Platonically. Over the internet.

Anthrax! Please. on
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It is indeed an FFT based Phalla.

Make with the sexings.

:winky:

Hylianbunny on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Bets that cantide will be joining us tonight?

I've given up hoping the village wins, the inactivity is slaughtering them and those remaining don't even notice. I shall now root for Tehspectre.

Yay heart-ripping monsters!

Last Son on
    edited May 2007
    ...two days late.

I'd be concerned, but it's not like anyone's actually playing (except Buzz Buzz apparently).

tuxkamen on

• Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Whats two days late?
    And Buzz Buzz died night one...

Last Son on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So... what happened while I was gone?

Gorilla Salad on