As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DEAD THREAD] Caves of Phalla

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Did Spectre just say that he's throwing the game?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Just because Saburbia is his soul anchor probably doesn't mean that Saburbia is -innocent-. I'm thinking his anchors were randomly determined and he has no idea what they are.

I'm just worried that TS might be the last thing the Cultists need to kill for their victory. If the last cultist doesn't die tonight, then they win.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Er...his post sure as hell looks like he knows it's definitely Sab. But if he thinks Sab is a gnome and he's trying to get his anchor killed this round it really does sound like he's just decided he doesn't like his win conditions and is fucking the game.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Did Spectre just say that he's throwing the game?

If what he said when he first came out is to be believed, he is fully aligned with the villagers and wins if they win.

I thought he chose his anchors. Did I make that up?

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    He said he aligned himself with the village and that said alignment was permanent, so his win conditions would be the same as the village's now. Of course, he could be lying through his teeth. We'll find out in about 24 hours.

Locus on
    edited May 2007
    Yea, I don't see anything like that in his posted PM. At least nothing that says the choice is irrevocable. He may just be misunderstanding it (or it could be the way it really is.)

The "get back to sleep" fluff would seem to directly contradict it, but who can tell if that's intended as binding or not. Well, Gnasty I suppose.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • LignisseLignisse Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Heh. Oops. Ah well. Traitor in the network, but at least it's clear who. I still think villagers win.

Lignisse on
    edited May 2007
    Yea, I don't see anything like that in his posted PM. At least nothing that says the choice is irrevocable. He may just be misunderstanding it (or it could be the way it really is.)

The "get back to sleep" fluff would seem to directly contradict it, but who can tell if that's intended as binding or not. Well, Gnasty I suppose.

He said this the night he made his reveal, when they were voting for him:
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Just for everyone's information, I am killing Tormentedsoul this round. It was funny, because I had chosen him to die before a bandwagon ever formed on him. Granted, I did this for separate reasons than everyone else.

It's cool you guys are targeting me, I just hope I don't end up killing one of the network members, or a good special. I said I would take your kill choices "Under advisement" because I may deem someone to be more suspicious to my bad guy sense, than the choice I was given.

I have already chosen to ally with the good guys and cannot change my alliances.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, what do you guys think about tonight's deaths? I'd like to believe that I was killed because of my inestimable brilliance.

You were actually killed because you made your first post to the thread right after I received my item PM. I figured there was a pretty good chance you had been waiting to see if you'd receive a second PM, and then started posting after you did.

Cantide on
    edited May 2007

Just for everyone's information, I am killing Tormentedsoul this round. It was funny, because I had chosen him to die before a bandwagon ever formed on him. Granted, I did this for separate reasons than everyone else.

It's cool you guys are targeting me, I just hope I don't end up killing one of the network members, or a good special. I said I would take your kill choices "Under advisement" because I may deem someone to be more suspicious to my bad guy sense, than the choice I was given.

I have already chosen to ally with the good guys and cannot change my alliances.

Yea, that struck me as bullshit. If you were in the middle would you point it out? The PM may have been much more heavily edited than he let on or he may have had clarification from Gnasty later on but the original he posted doesn't make it sound like that.

The only thing that statement makes me believe is that he revealed to Ardor or somebody who his anchors were so if he went against them he'd be promptly deaded.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited May 2007
    Cantide wrote: »
    So, what do you guys think about tonight's deaths? I'd like to believe that I was killed because of my inestimable brilliance.

You were actually killed because you made your first post to the thread right after I received my item PM. I figured there was a pretty good chance you had been waiting to see if you'd receive a second PM, and then started posting after you did.

Aw man, that suuuuuucks. I can't really complain though, I've been living a pretty long time in recent games.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited May 2007

Yea, that struck me as bullshit. If you were in the middle would you point it out? The PM may have been much more heavily edited than he let on or he may have had clarification from Gnasty later on but the original he posted doesn't make it sound like that.

The only thing that statement makes me believe is that he revealed to Ardor or somebody who his anchors were so if he went against them he'd be promptly deaded.

I tend to believe him, since it is consistent with what he's doing now. Which is why this came up in the first place.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited May 2007
    I tend to believe him, since it is consistent with what he's doing now. Which is why this came up in the first place.

Alright, I'm not saying Spectre is doing this intentionally, if he's choosing to do this I think his goals are different than stated or he's misunderstanding the stated goals.

Honestly I'm starting to think that third parties are a huge detriment to the baddies. Considering that games around here are already hugely stacked in favor of the village the current trend of 3rd parties isn't helping things at all.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hmm, we missed one. The gnome was supposed to get one of the living guys yet who we both thought was the cultist. That should happen this round. If the network was actually infiltrated by the cultist, the game would have ended last night.

I tried.

Ardor on
    edited May 2007
    I was worried about it pointing directly to me. I'm going to stop worrying about that now, from now on Ardor is my day 1 vote. Fuck it.
    Oh, and that last bit is entirely the real reason you died. I totally should have gone for Ardor as well. I never kill Ardor soon enough.

What did I do to deserve such infamy? :cry:

EDIT: I actually get a long narration paragraph AND noted in the title? I'm honored. "Ardor Dies!"

Ardor on
    edited May 2007
    Ardor wrote: »
    Hmm, we missed one. The gnome was supposed to get one of the living guys yet who we both thought was the cultist. That should happen this round. If the network was actually infiltrated by the cultist, the game would have ended last night.

I tried.

So you really were working with the gnomes? D:

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited May 2007

I tried.

We were indeed in communication with him. I have no idea why it was continued since it seemed to do us absolutely no good whatsoever.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2007
    The gnomes shall win. Viva la revolution!

Unknown User on
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ha!

Good times.

GrimmyTOA on
    edited May 2007

I tried.

We were indeed in communication with him. I have no idea why it was continued since it seemed to do us absolutely no good whatsoever.

I stuck to my agreement, but in reality, I had so many people come forward to me, we completely outnumbered the unknowns in the game. Visible not dying last night was a mis communication, our vigilante named the two people that did die last night but I swear I told him to take visible.

I gave the final gnome everything I had because there's about a 1% chance he could've won the game. Those three people I named yesterday were the only ones I truly didn't know what they were, I think we knew everything else and it seems apparent nobody inside the network lied to me. Not everyone named was in the network either, but the final gnome missed someone last night.

I enjoyed the game, even though the inactives really screwed the gnomes over, that's honestly very unfortunate because it would've been a close game otherwise.

I suppose in the end, I'm wondering why you guys took the deal, it worked out well in vampires because the network was toast, but here, that wasn't the case. Did you guys bank on nobody trusting me to come forward?

Ardor on
    edited May 2007
    Honestly I'm starting to think that third parties are a huge detriment to the baddies. Considering that games around here are already hugely stacked in favor of the village the current trend of 3rd parties isn't helping things at all.

Sorry for double-posting a lot.

I think if the kills were actually random, it would even up the odds a litte more, but with multiple groups, I honestly think the monster groups need more numbers.

Maybe 30% gnomes and 10% cultists with the wraith and the humans would've been a neat balance. It's mostly when some asshole like me comes into play and convinces people that one particular faction is bad and needs to die, that things become skewed another way.

I mean, these agreements I've made keep the stakeholders with the advantage, but only if the majority of kills can be controlled. I had no control over half the kills in the game whereas with Plutonium in vampires, the sabbat had to kill us and we had the execution/vote/2 assamite kills under control, we could take the reigns of the game that way.

Ardor on
    edited May 2007
    Yea, if Spectre is really locked into an alliance with a group once chosen he should really count as a village special. The village is the only group that's going to have any kind of public presence and is practically guaranteed to be the one to get allied with. (If it's not that way then I have no idea why Spectre just chose to commit suicide and forfeit his chance at winning the game.)

I will point out for all your "CULTISTS BAD!" you and your lovely network have gotten absolutely 0 cultist kills. The only person to actually successfully hinder the cultist was actually taken down by the stupid knife guy. The gnomes just got raped by Spectre and inactivity mostly.

I'll answer more later, now I sleep.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think if I've learned anything from this game, it's that kills shouldn't happen simultaneously.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
    edited May 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »
    I think if I've learned anything from this game, it's that kills shouldn't happen simultaneously.

I don't know. There's something to be said for running the first game in which everyone ends up dead, especially since it was extremely well planned otherwise.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If everyone dies, doesn't the wraith win? I mean, he'll lose his physical form, but he has his cave back.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, I agree. If nothing else, it proves that you designed a well-balanced game. :P

EDIT: Heh. Spectre never did fully explain his victory conditions, did he? How's this for a loopy theory: The Wraith knows every role. His victory condition is to kill everyone in the caves without allowing a victory for anyone else.

GrimmyTOA on
  • TabascoTabasco Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree. If nothing else, it proves that you designed a well-balanced game. :P

EDIT: Heh. Spectre never did fully explain his victory conditions, did he? How's this for a loopy theory: The Wraith knows every role. His victory condition is to kill everyone in the caves without allowing a victory for anyone else.

I was thinking this might be the case, though I'm not sure about the knowing every role part.

Tabasco on
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.
    -Oscar Wilde
    edited May 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »

When it comes to endgame, and you did give me approval to work with the gnome to try for a tie because it might be funny (which looks ilke it might happen anyways), you might state that if everyone dies, the gnomes win, or something like that. That way, a tie cannot exist. If the humans die, nobody can protect against the next gnome invasion for example.

This is kind of amusing, I wish tehspectre didn't kill me for fun, but everyone up there except for the cultist and one other guy who was supposed to die last night know the remaining roles.

Here's to hoping DA doesn't get me killed day 1 in FFT phalla. It looks to be a really fun game where the odds are even all around.

Ardor on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2007
    well if you think about it, if everyone dies the gnomes do win. I mean they're terrorists, and they wanted to kill everyone. mission accomplished.

Unknown User on
    edited May 2007
    robothero wrote: »
    well if you think about it, if everyone dies the gnomes do win. I mean they're terrorists, and they wanted to kill everyone. mission accomplished.

I'm cool with that. Once it was down to yesterday where my gnome contact was the only one alive, I told him we should aim for a tie.

Like the vampire game, I honestly wanted the assamites to win, it would've been awesome. I think a gnome victory here would also be very awesome due to the circumstances that took two of your guys away.

Ardor on
    edited May 2007
    So what you're saying is that you generally want someone other than the good guys to win? Am I reading that right?

Lucky for you there aren't any good guys in Zodiac Phalla, else I'd be voting for you for sure. :D

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited May 2007
    So what you're saying is that you generally want someone other than the good guys to win? Am I reading that right?

Lucky for you there aren't any good guys in Zodiac Phalla, else I'd be voting for you for sure. :D

I just say that because their chances of winning were low. I'll be surprised if I live past day 1. I just hope I'm not a knight, because whatever I am I'm probably dead by vote very quickly.

Ardor on
    edited May 2007

I just say that because their chances of winning were low. I'll be surprised if I live past day 1. I just hope I'm not a knight, because whatever I am I'm probably dead by vote very quickly.

I don't see any point in killing you the first day in Zodiac Phalla. You've got the same 50% chance to be helping my team as anyone else. The only difference is that the optimal outcome involves you being with the other guys.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited May 2007
    What a mess. Honestly, people never really responded to any pm's so coordinating things was tough. Sadly, the gnome was the only person to respond to pm's, so we just kinda talked strategy and stuff. If people aren't around, how can I transfer information and responsibilities? Ah well.

I do try to be fairly active though since I enjoy these games. I just wish I didn't get thrust into 'speaker of the network' positions.

Gnasty, if everyone's sent in their kills, you may as well end it early. Everyone who has a kill has posted in the thread already, then we can start telling some dolt named Ardor how much he sucks.

Ardor on
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Not everyone has sent me their kills yet.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I do try to be fairly active though since I enjoy these games. I just wish I didn't get thrust into 'speaker of the network' positions.

Honestly I think you will be stuck in that position until the end of time (I almost believe that you purposely have done badly lately to lower your reputation and increase your survival). For no particular reason you were a big debate subject among the elves (repeated below):
    Lignisse wrote:
    I think that we have a couple of opportunities at this point to be helpful by having one of us reveal their role in PMs to selected people. First, read my post #461. (I have a faint hope that if I'm very active and post a lot of analysis, I can get seered before I'm killed).

Anyway, idea #1: One of us reveals their role in a PM to Ardor. I think it's likely he'll be part of any network that forms. We probably shouldn't reveal who the other two elves are yet, because he's not certain innocent, just very very likely. He might not trust me, but he's unlikely to kill me for it.

Idea #2 : A different one of us reveals our role to Paranoia833. The best part of this plan is that if that person dies the next night to gnome attack (he's probably not cultist), the other two elves should out themselves publically and call for Paranoia's lynching. If Paranoia is being honest, having him in contact with us would probably help a lot.

Thoughts?

Honestly I think it is best to keep quiet for now and maybe attempt to get seered. I think the chance that ardor and/or paranoia833 are lying is pretty decent.

But hey do whatever you want, though don't reveal mine and munkusbeaver's name whatever you do.
    Revealing right now is bad, considering that we're one of the last races needed to die.

Lignisse wrote:
    After a lot more reading and thinking, I really do believe that our optimal play right now is for all three of us to PM Ardor revealing the three of us as elves. Please let me lay down my logic:

A key point is that one of us is likely to die tonight. Targeted, untargeted, random suspicion by vigilantes, whatever. There are 33 players left, and we're three of them. 6 are gnomes (or half-), 1 is cultist. The odds of all three of us surviving are low. A death before we reveal ourselves is worthless. A death after we reveal ourselves is useful because it proves the identity of the remaining two to the person to whom we revealed.

Consider the various possibilities for Ardor's role and whether a network forms tonight, and the utility or disutility of three possibilities:
    A) no reveal,
    B) partial reveal (I PM him, claim my role, but don't reveal your identities),
    C) full reveal, as I suggest.

<Long, long analysis goes here>

Summary of summary: Let's full reveal to Ardor. All of us. Obviously, I won't actually do anything until I get responses.

In short NO FUCKING WAY.

Again do whatever you like, but don't reveal my name under any circumstances. I think there is a good chance that ardor is lying and all 3 of us coming forward is a good way to get all of us killed.

Second of all I HATE instant networks (which I think are only a good way to get all specials killed) and want no part of it.

I am indifferent to one person outing themselves to ardor, but I am absolutely opposed to all 3 of us outing ourselves to ardor there is no reason to put all 3 of our heads on the chopping block.

frandelgearslip on
    edited May 2007
    I think I've been mildly successful, but I've also been trying to either make people feel I can add some fun to the game or something so I don't become a day 1 victim based upon past experiences. Whether it works or not, who knows. I still enjoy the games, perhaps I'm just outspoken or something.

I'm currently looking for a nice mediator avatar for FFT, that would fit me much better I think than Weigraf.

Ardor on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Heh, sorry ardor, already stole the mediator avatar.

Your a cool dude that adds alot of fun to the games, so I hope you don't die day 1.

Inquisitor on
    edited May 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Your a cool dude that adds alot of fun to the games, so I hope you don't die day 1.

I just found one too :(.

Fine, I'll find another to use.

Ardor on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I just found one too :(.

Fine, I'll find another to use.

If you really wanna use it I'll just change to something else, it's cool.

Inquisitor on