As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Spider-Man] Speeder and Miles Webs Prower 10/20/23

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Is it just me or does MJ look like a young Julianne Moore?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    I'm not even sure what else you would want. Peter "Phuk da Police" Parker?

Well that's rhe spider Punk costume, yeah?

Real answer, perhaps have police brutality as one of the random crime types you have to stop.

Isn't that the whole point with Sable's mercs setting up military checkpoints rounding up innocent civilians? Theyre the "bad cops". Personally I don't think anyone needs a game with NYPD police brutality. Spidey has always had NYPD allies, going back to Jean DeWolff so kind of happy they continued the tradition. Of course at other times Spidey has been hunted by the NYPD, and personally I wouldn't mind a Mayor JJJ in the next game

They made JJJ into Alex Jones here. Considering the real life parallels, I really don't want to see him become mayor. Osborn is bad enough.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    OK, now the game is just messing with me wrt the Doc Ock hints. (mission "Strong Connections")
    I mean, the shapeshifting prosthetics was one thing, and a really neat variant on the tentacles, not to mention a really sensemaky reason why he'd get those things even without going all mad scientist. But the goggles? The green jumpsuit hanging on the wall? Like, haha.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    OK, now the game is just messing with me wrt the Doc Ock hints. (mission "Strong Connections")
    I mean, the shapeshifting prosthetics was one thing, and a really neat variant on the tentacles, not to mention a really sensemaky reason why he'd get those things even without going all mad scientist. But the goggles? The green jumpsuit hanging on the wall? Like, haha.

You're overreacting, that's all totally normal scientist stuff.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Sable's troops are a weak criticism of mercenaries, and also of soldiers turned into cops, as is frequently featured in US policy

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    More screenshots! More I say!
    8i3ep2x9clhe.jpg

avtihah7zipv.jpg

7ter138hhdjn.jpg

gcrv4n0rigu3.jpg

d6e6pah1v6yv.jpg

eagzfa6n9e42.jpg

jcgzbs2ukakd.jpg

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    Mission "Breakthrough".
    Goddammit, Otto...

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

Real answer, perhaps have police brutality as one of the random crime types you have to stop.

If you do that, then all of the discussion around the game would he JUST about that and how Donald Trump and his right wing nut jobs calling for the game to be banned because it f how it depicts the police and all kinds of other political bullshit. For a video game company, it's just not worth it.

PSN|AspectVoid
    edited September 2018
    AspectVoid wrote: »

If you do that, then all of the discussion around the game would he JUST about that and how Donald Trump and his right wing nut jobs calling for the game to be banned because it f how it depicts the police and all kinds of other political bullshit. For a video game company, it's just not worth it.

The first mission has Spidey beat up a bunch of police in the employ of the mob. If such a thing was suicide for a video game company, they wouldn't have done even that.

Enlong on
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Yea putting in a handful of political focused or more true to life missions has too much potential to go wrong and still offend someone, but now it looks like you did it on purpose.

Spidey needs people to talk to during the game, and open world games need towers, reading into that any farther does feel a little forced but sucks out it actually kept someone from enjoying the game

PSN SeGaTai
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

The first mission has Spidey beat up a bunch of police in the employ of the mob. If such a thing was suicide for a video game company, they wouldn't have done even that.

There's a big difference between depicting the movie cliche dirty cop on the mob's payroll and depicting the real world asshole racist cops abusing and murdering people.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Funny bug last night.

Swinging through the city, get a random mission to save a civilian from a bad car accident. Cool I’m just bouncing around, why not. I am friendly, and in the neighborhood.

So I get there and it’s the scenario where the car’s flipped and you have to do the quick time event to lift the car so the dude can get out.

So I run up to the vehicle and get the Triangle prompt, hit it, and...nothing. The the triangle disappears but the event never activated.

There are no more additional prompts and the original never comes back. The original is just gone. So for five minutes I’m running around this car trying to figure out what happened and if I can do anything, all while this poor guy is panicking and screaming because he’s trapped in a burning vehicle.

Eventually I decide there’s nothing I can do. Like, I genuinely cannot interact with this event at all. So I flipped the poor guy some finger guns and went swinging away.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    "Matt can get you, buddy, have a nice day!"

Funny bug last night.

Swinging through the city, get a random mission to save a civilian from a bad car accident. Cool I’m just bouncing around, why not. I am friendly, and in the neighborhood.

So I get there and it’s the scenario where the car’s flipped and you have to do the quick time event to lift the car so the dude can get out.

So I run up to the vehicle and get the Triangle prompt, hit it, and...nothing. The the triangle disappears but the event never activated.

There are no more additional prompts and the original never comes back. The original is just gone. So for five minutes I’m running around this car trying to figure out what happened and if I can do anything, all while this poor guy is panicking and screaming because he’s trapped in a burning vehicle.

Eventually I decide there’s nothing I can do. Like, I genuinely cannot interact with this event at all. So I flipped the poor guy some finger guns and went swinging away.

A lot of the time those have a car that has some boxes stuck to the side so the person can't get out. You have to grab them with the webbing and throw the boxes to get through to the person, then rip the door off the car. Except instead of spawning the boxes, it spawned a Daily Bugle truck that was just sitting there, fused halfway through the car.

I looked around a bit while the dude was screaming, shrugged, and swung away. I think I saved a screenshot, I'll have to check later.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018

man fuck this article. ugh i have a lot of thoughts on this but I'm having a hard time typing them out.

Basically It super sucks that there are a lot of bad cops out there but the function of the police is to protect and serve and that's not gonna change just cause of racism. Racism is the fucking worst but I'm not gonna be all ALL POLICE SUCK because of it. Spider-Man is helping stop crime, it is the stated mission of the police as well but the police are also super into vigilantism.

Most missions that end with the police coming, spider-man bolting then quickly bolts and comments on how he has to get out of here since he doesn't want to deal with questions from the police. He really only has 1 friend in the police force all game and even she doesn't like him all that much.

ugh I have other thoughts but whatever. The game is AMAZING. I'm in the backhalf of the story but have also already done all the backpacks, pictures, pigeons, black cat stuff, etc cause it's so fun just to swing around. Also the suit you unlock from doing all the black cat missions is amazing.

edit - also the photo mode is incredible
    DmmX4cHV4AAHjxU.jpg:large

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Don't do drugs, kids.
    xtk7qk2trika.jpg

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
    The horse head masks were an inspired touch to that whole scene.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Act 1 ending spoilers
    How does Peter know it was Li? He's knocked out at the ending when we see Li.

Big Classy wrote: »
    Act 1 ending spoilers
    How does Peter know it was Li? He's knocked out at the ending when we see Li.
    apparently he does briefly see Li before he gets knocked out. But the scene is shot in such a way that it's easy to miss.

Also, Miles would have given his statement to the police in the week following the bombing, and Peter would likely have recognized Li in Miles's description of the leader.

• warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    cq9tq9pnyqhj.jpg

Game is super awesome. I'm at 92%. Working on bases and 3 starring the Challenge missions.

A tip for precision racing during challenges: use L2!! This slows down time, lets you pinpoint a spot, then hit R2 to zip to that location, and/or point launch from it!

What are some good Spidey books from the last 10 years? Haven't read some in a long time? I really liked Superior Spiderman.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
    warder808 wrote: »
    Game is super awesome. I'm at 92%. Working on bases and 3 starring the Challenge missions.

A tip for precision racing during challenges: use L2!! This slows down time, lets you pinpoint a spot, then hit R2 to zip to that location, and/or point launch from it!

I use this a lot for the bomb challenges too. Landing with precision is damn near impossible otherwise, and you have to be very close to the bombs. That you can't pick them up from the air like you can with every other web throw item is kinda annoying.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    This probably shocks no one, but apparently the wedding proposal guy is kind of an asshole.

• President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    warder808 wrote: »
    What are some good Spidey books from the last 10 years? Haven't read some in a long time? I really liked Superior Spiderman.

I just picked up Big Time Vol. 1, which kicks off Dan Slott’s solo run on ASM which is supposedly pretty great all the way through to the end of Superior Spider-Man. I’ll let you know how it is!

Fencingsax wrote: »
    This probably shocks no one, but apparently the wedding proposal guy is kind of an asshole.

Not super surprising. At the least, he doesn't seem good at reading the room.

But she left him for his brother which is a bit icky..

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Also not true, but hey...

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Ketar wrote: »

Is it not? That was definitely in the article that was going around.

I'm in what I think is the final stages of this game and I have loved nearly every second of it. The stealth sequences are not so great but they're pretty easy and short.

SniperGuy on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Spider-Man has always been about being a friendly neighborhood superhero. He tries to help the police by catching real criminals and saving lives. That's always been part of what he does. They do make it clear in this game that not all the cops like him or appreciate

I'm in what I think is the final stages of this game and I have loved nearly every second of it. The stealth sequences are not so great but they're pretty easy and short.

Most gaming "journalism" sucks. News at 11.

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/the-spider-man-proposal-easter-egg-has-a-darker-side-10842784

This is the only one I've seen that actually involves comments from Madison Gamble.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Spider-Man has always been about being a friendly neighborhood superhero. He tries to help the police by catching real criminals and saving lives. That's always been part of what he does. They do make it clear in this game that not all the cops like him or appreciate

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/the-spider-man-proposal-easter-egg-has-a-darker-side-10842784

This is the only one I've seen that actually involves comments from Madison Gamble.

Going back to check the Kotaku article it seems they've also updated it with info yesterday and today after speaking with her so that's good.

Also apparently another person used it as a proposal for their girlfriend of the same name so that's cool.

Just sneak a random name and a proposal into any game, you're sure to freak someone out by chance.

SniperGuy on
    edited September 2018
    This proposal discussion is completely lost on me. Will I understand it if I read the article about police brutality?

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Some guy asked Insomniac to put his proposal in Spider-Man and they did, but she said no way before the game came out. The details aren't all that important I'd honestly let the poor people have their personal space.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    How we talk about games is pretty important when we're talking about games, I'd say. Their relationship might have very little to do with Spiderman itself, but there's an unpleasant crowd that comes crawling out of the woodwork every time a woman is mentioned in gaming articles. If we could at least get both sides of a story, that'd be nice.

Actual game talk: man, I don't want this version of Ock to go bad. He's cool!

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I would have preferred hearing neither side of the story.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    How do you use someone else's proposal as your own? Your SO finds the Easter egg and you say "Fuck it, sure"?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Also I'm pretty sure this guy didn't survive this one

https://youtu.be/4F7smJ6-mS4

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00

Well that's fucked up. Thanks for correcting me.

Also I'm pretty sure this guy didn't survive this one

https://youtu.be/4F7smJ6-mS4

Someone had cut some trailer footage of spider-man takedowns with the bone-breaks from MK9/MKX. It was pretty perfect.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Way into wrapping up all the game content (just finishing up some challenges, a few side missions, and crimes) and I will say this combat system has definitely grown on me and I like it a lot now. Yeah, it's got a few rough edges but once you really wrap your muscle memory around it, you can just destroy hordes of enemies with crazy jumpy-webby antics in a spectacular fashion. The main things I would want improve are a fast-use system for gadgets, multi-dodge for multiple enemy attacks, and tightening up the dodge/Spidey sense effectiveness in general (it doesn't always seem to work, especially when multiple enemies are shooting at once; I think it gets overloaded or something and doesn't quite keep up with alerting you that you're still in danger). I think I'd also like to see more fluid verticality and better movement in Spidey's combat mode; the movement system is awesome for web-slinging, but trying to move in combat when you aren't web-zipping directly to an enemy is surprisingly clumsy. For the next game, I would really like to see fights happening at more than ground level and ten feet above ground level, with Spidey moving easily everywhere.

Also a fan of the suit power system. Pick the suit you like, then pick the suit power that best matches what you want. Crowd control? Suits for that. Stealth? Suits for that. Silly fun powers? Suits for that. There's even a suit power for just spouting banter. Not very practical, but definitely amusing.

It's like the game was not only built with a huge attention to detail for Spidey lore, but with a ton of attention towards just being fun over anything else. I think I've used the fast travel maybe 2-3 times because I just enjoy the webslinging so much and randomly running across things to do. Insomniac knocked it out of the park here, can't wait to see the next Spidey game they do.

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I beat the story two days ago and I'm still thinking about it. This might be my favorite Spider-Man. It's lightning in a bottle.

edited September 2018
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    I beat the story two days ago and I'm still thinking about it. This might be my favorite Spider-Man. It's lightning in a bottle.

I don't know what's more haunting (major story spoilers)
    A paralyzed Doc Ock screaming after Peter as he walks away after just telling Doc that he looked up to him like a father (and Ock knew what that meant to Peter), or Peter weeping over his dying Aunt May while choosing to save the city over her.

I did not give a permission slip to authorize that feels trip, it was some major shit to have come out of the end of a Spider-Man game.

Ninja Snarl P on
    The Low Gravity power from the 2099 Black Suit is amazing for traversal. Just zoom across Central Park from a nearby skyscraper, why not?