As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Combat flight sims (esp. IL-2) - how to use flaps well?

ThirithThirith Registered User regular
I don't know if there are any big sim experts here, but I thought I'd ask. I got started on IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad, mainly because I wanted to check out a WW2-era flight sim that works in VR. There's tons of stuff I have to learn, and IL-2 isn't exactly the most beginner-friendly sim, but I've found useful videos on most aspects of the game.

However, what I haven't found is anything on flaps. I get the general physics behind them (I think) - lowering flaps means more lift and more drag - but I don't really know when to use them and to what extent it differs from plane to plane. Are there general rules of thumb with respect to when to use flaps?

I'd also be very receptive for other tips on how to survive IL-2, but it's mainly the flaps issue that I wouldn't mind having resolved. Cheers!

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
"Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Should use flaps:
    1. Take off&Landing
    2. During dive bombing if you don't have dedicated airbrakes for that purpose.
    3. When performing a low-speed break maneuver to get out of an enemy's gunsights OR When you need just a bit more lift to get a shot on an enemy that's either above you or in a turn with you. The turning boost is very temporary, but can be very beneficial.

Should not use flaps:
    1. Energy fighting, aka "boom&zoom"
    2. General flight

Flaps can also be useful in low-speed maneuver fighting, such as a Scissors maneuver since it can help with forcing an enemy to overshoot.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Thanks, that helps a lot. Since I have managed to get a Yak-1 off the ground, I was thinking of leaving flaps until later, but there's a risk that if I don't start using them already I'll never really use them - and I don't need another reason why I'm unlikely ever to be anything other than a bad pilot. I at least want to have a crack at mediocrity.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Did WWII era planes use their flaps in combat? Modern jets sometimes have 'combat flaps' in the form of leading edge slats that automatically deploy to improve low-speed handling.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Did WWII era planes use their flaps in combat? Modern jets sometimes have 'combat flaps' in the form of leading edge slats that automatically deploy to improve low-speed handling.
    Combat flaps were actually used on some WWII era planes. The Kawanishi N1k-J series (N1K1-J and N1K2-J) had automatic combat flaps which allowed excellent maneuverability (not as much as the zero), but much heavier structure and armaments.

P.S: N1k flaps were rear-edge flaps with a mercury switch that activated whenever the craft went into a heavy turn.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Thanks, that helps a lot. Since I have managed to get a Yak-1 off the ground, I was thinking of leaving flaps until later, but there's a risk that if I don't start using them already I'll never really use them - and I don't need another reason why I'm unlikely ever to be anything other than a bad pilot. I at least want to have a crack at mediocrity.

At a minimum, you should use them for taking off and landing. Most planes (if not all) to my knowledge have a "take off flap" setting, and you'll also want to extend them bit by bit as you're coming in to land, mostly to create drag to slow you down and increase lift for the slower speeds. For most WW2 planes, you can also open the cockpit about halfway through your approach to create further drag, if needed.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »

At a minimum, you should use them for taking off and landing. Most planes (if not all) to my knowledge have a "take off flap" setting, and you'll also want to extend them bit by bit as you're coming in to land, mostly to create drag to slow you down and increase lift for the slower speeds. For most WW2 planes, you can also open the cockpit about halfway through your approach to create further drag, if needed.

Also you can do that if the cockpit gets too stuffy. Just make sure you've got your flip book secured to your leg strap.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Also can come over and join the Game Flight Sims Thread to discuss more games you can buy.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7