Options

[WoW] Battle for Azeroth has landed!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Well the alliance and the horde hate each other and want the other side to either serve them or stop murdering/oppressing them.

Azerite is a new superpowered weapon that they are racing to take the most control of. Everyone's going to get some, sure. Both sides want to be the ones with the most.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    It's been suggested by some that maybe Sylvanas has a secret reason for going so cartoonishly evil though why that is isn't yet known. The reason for the war on the Alliance side is pretty clear though as she needs to be ousted before more cities get it like Darnassus. Plus while she's in power and keeping the war going, not a lot of manpower's going to fixing Azeroth's wound which is still potentially fatal.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    At least the azerite the players are gathering is getting sucked into the Heart, which should maybe help things a bit when it's powered up? Maybe? Magni was a bit vague on that.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Something that's also been suggested when it comes to Azerite is...
    ...that Queen Azshara may be able to tap if not corrupt it somehow and thus whomever it comes into contact with. We know she's part of the expansion but how hasn't been explained yet for some reason. Also remember what occurred during the War Of Thorns event's first half when the invasion suddenly got diverted by Azerite suddenly popping up at Nazj'vel, a spot off Darkshore's shore that (if WOWpedia's correct) had Naga living at it.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    It's been suggested by some that maybe Sylvanas has a secret reason for going so cartoonishly evil though why that is isn't yet known. The reason for the war on the Alliance side is pretty clear though as she needs to be ousted before more cities get it like Darnassus. Plus while she's in power and keeping the war going, not a lot of manpower's going to fixing Azeroth's wound which is still potentially fatal.

That could be the case, but I think in the situation where there are players directly involved in the story on the side of the character being portrayed as the 'villain', they need to be doing some sort of foreshadowing or parallel storytelling that gives the players the notion that there is more going on behind the scenes. Especially in this case, where we can't further the story on our own terms. Us horde players are just left hanging in a very unsatisfying state.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I’m not fully on board with it, but Sylvanas explains her reasoning (out of game of course). She believes that there can never be a lasting peace under current conditions due to the absolute cycle of hatred. Forsaken and Worgen, Humans and Orcs (and Trolls, and Forsaken), Night Elves and Blood Elves, etc.

There might be a short peace here or there, but with people like Genn having Anduin’s ear it’s only a matter of time before another attack occurs. The only way she feels she can force peace is by forcing the Alliance to come to the table as the underdogs, which capturing Teldrassil would have enabled.

Azerite adds to the concerns given it’s a powerful weapon, so a short term peace now might lead to a more horrific war down the road.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    There's no coming back from the burning of teldrassil.
    Sylvanas is a dead man walking. Literally and figuratively, ofc.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    There are other limitations as well. You can only use the transmog if you are in that particular spec. So a destruction warlock won't see the demonology artifact appearances as valid.

Also I am not sure how prot paladins can transmog the shield, I had trouble with that one.

And it seems to not activate all the artefact "effects" necessary. On my demonology warlock i was able to xmog a staff into the artefact dagger but the floating demon head only shows up in game, does not show up on character select screen.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think sylvanas has a specific flaw in her reasoning. There can't be peace while Sylvanas is in charge of big parts of the horde. If Saurfang and Anduin and Caine and the more reasonable people could meet, peace could be possible. By burning Teldrassil she has thrown away any hope of the alliance trusting her again. If she voluntarily stepped down and submitted herself to incarceration by either side, it could go a long way towards peace. This will absolutely never happen because she doesn't trust anyone else to do what she wants to do.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I’m enjoying the Nathanos/Sylvanas thing going on. The guy’s an ass to everyone but has undying loyalty (heh) to his Lady.

Sylvanas is obviously thirsty for Nathanos, but it seems to be one sided.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    You're tearing me apart, Lis, er, Lore nerds!!!!

4h9gjtlfqvx0.jpg

(This is in no way directed at anyone in this thread and is meant merely in jest)

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    question.
    jaina poofed away the blight once
    couldnt she have just done it again at the end of the scenario to the second release of blight?

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    question.
    couldnt she have just done it again at the end of the scenario to the second release of blight?

She didn't poof it, she froze it. It'll melt after a bit.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    To be fair, it does look like she poofed it, at least from the Horde side. I haven't done the Alliance scenario to see if it's any different.

But from the Horde angle, she shows up, poofs it, and then the action completely transitions out of that area, so there's no indication as to whether the ice melts or not. All you see is that Jaina shows up and now there's no green fog.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Apparently you can walk back out there during the scenario and it's "gone" but tbh I think that's just an oversight. Regardless, there's a pretty big difference between clearing out a wide open field and, ya know, all of Lordaeron. Even if she could actually dissipate the blight, which I think is doubtful. I'm firmly in the "it was just frozen" camp.

• Options
    It seems like big parts of the undercity are caving in when sylvanas fires off her whatever in the throne room. Freezing the blight mist is a bit of a different beast than clearing out the entire underground keep full of green goop.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    That pretty much goes along with my comment from yesterday.

We don't really even know what the stakes of this war are. What are we fighting for, really? What's the end goal here?

Sylvanas is mad and wants to stop the Alliance from having Azerite and so she torches Teldrassil. But why? Why does she care? Why does it matter if the Alliance has Azerite or not? There's plenty to go around. The entire earth is spitting up Azerite everywhere you look. Or so we're being told. That's what all those island adventures in BfA are about. Going to a random spot and finding a chunk of Azerite that has worked its way to the surface.

So why is this war even happening, and what's the goal?

Sylvanas is fighting for the existence of the Horde, which would be a noble goal of the war weren’t started pre-emptively by the then-defending side. She started a war under the pretense that of the Alliance had started one, the Horde couldn’t win. Which is probably true.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    It seems like big parts of the undercity are caving in when sylvanas fires off her whatever in the throne room. Freezing the blight mist is a bit of a different beast than clearing out the entire underground keep full of green goop.

Well, it's not caved in right now. If you are clever or suicidal you can get back down there.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Listen it's world of WARcraft not world of PEACEcraft

:razz:

I always loved that one as an excuse as to why I couldn't play with my horde friends.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

We don't really even know what the stakes of this war are. What are we fighting for, really? What's the end goal here?

Sylvanas is mad and wants to stop the Alliance from having Azerite and so she torches Teldrassil. But why? Why does she care? Why does it matter if the Alliance has Azerite or not? There's plenty to go around. The entire earth is spitting up Azerite everywhere you look. Or so we're being told. That's what all those island adventures in BfA are about. Going to a random spot and finding a chunk of Azerite that has worked its way to the surface.

Sylvanas is fighting for the existence of the Horde, which would be a noble goal of the war weren’t started pre-emptively by the then-defending side. She started a war under the pretense that of the Alliance had started one, the Horde couldn’t win. Which is probably true.

The existence of the horde isn't being challenged.

• Options

Well it is now because Sylvanas burnt down Teldrassil.

But it wasn't until then. Sylvanas is just paranoid and assumed the Alliance will use any advantage to roll in and murder her.

Which we will, now.

• Options
    edited August 2018

But it wasn't until then. Sylvanas is just paranoid and assumed the Alliance will use any advantage to roll in and murder her.

Which we will, now.

Um, Genn already tried.

In the middle of the Legion’s invasion

Nobody on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Bobble wrote: »
    question.

Welcome to the last 5 pages of the thread.

There was no conclusion.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Nobody wrote: »

Which we will, now.

Um, Genn already tried.

We discussed this in the last thread I believe. Genn is operating on a personal vendetta against Sylvanas personally and not with approval of the alliance as a whole.

Plus you know, Sylvanas wasn't exactly there helping fight the legion.
    Unofficially though, after receiving intelligence of suspicious Horde activity, the Skyfire has been tracking Sylvanas Windrunner's fleet. Genn Greymane and Sky Admiral Rogers, who believed Sylvanas herself was a passenger on one of the ships, chose to attack the fleet. Unable to make contact with the rest of the Alliance fleet, the Skyfire proceeded with their assault.[30] Though their forces managed to board the Forsaken's ships and kill their captains, when they boarded the royal flagship, the Alliance discovered that Sylvanas had already left the ship and that Nathanos Blightcaller was leading a Horde force to sabotage the Skyfire. Genn would face off against Nathanos himself during the defense of the ship, who goaded Genn to fight him using his worgen form.

Greymane gained the upper hand and managed to wound Nathanos,[31] but the battle abruptly ended as the Skyfire was sabotaged by Forsaken boarders and crashed on Stormheim. The Skyfire was destroyed but its crew was able to evacuate before the crash and rallied in the Skyfire Triage Camp while combating the Horde. The Skyfire survivors were evacuated to Greywatch[32] where Genn Greymane oversees the campaign to acquire the [Aegis of Aggramar] and hunt for Sylvanas.

While Alliance adventurers pursue the Aegis, Genn uncovers that the Forsaken means to plague Greywatch like they did Gilneas.
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Genn_Greymane#Legion

And they're still operating under the view that Sylvanas abandoned them on the Broken Shore and let Varian die on purpose.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2018
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Bobble wrote: »
    question.

Welcome to the last 5 pages of the thread.

There was no conclusion.

there was totally a good explanation in this official comic
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    x5nihbzcir6j.png

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Which we will, now.

Um, Genn already tried.

We discussed this in the last thread I believe. Genn is operating on a personal vendetta against Sylvanas personally and not with approval of the alliance as a whole.

Unofficially though, after receiving intelligence of suspicious Horde activity, the Skyfire has been tracking Sylvanas Windrunner's fleet. Genn Greymane and Sky Admiral Rogers, who believed Sylvanas herself was a passenger on one of the ships, chose to attack the fleet. Unable to make contact with the rest of the Alliance fleet, the Skyfire proceeded with their assault.[30] Though their forces managed to board the Forsaken's ships and kill their captains, when they boarded the royal flagship, the Alliance discovered that Sylvanas had already left the ship and that Nathanos Blightcaller was leading a Horde force to sabotage the Skyfire. Genn would face off against Nathanos himself during the defense of the ship, who goaded Genn to fight him using his worgen form.

Greymane gained the upper hand and managed to wound Nathanos,[31] but the battle abruptly ended as the Skyfire was sabotaged by Forsaken boarders and crashed on Stormheim. The Skyfire was destroyed but its crew was able to evacuate before the crash and rallied in the Skyfire Triage Camp while combating the Horde. The Skyfire survivors were evacuated to Greywatch[32] where Genn Greymane oversees the campaign to acquire the [Aegis of Aggramar] and hunt for Sylvanas.

While Alliance adventurers pursue the Aegis, Genn uncovers that the Forsaken means to plague Greywatch like they did Gilneas.

And they're still operating under the view that Sylvanas abandoned them on the Broken Shore and let Varian die on purpose.

Anduin sent his best warship to shadow her, and put the two people in charge who had the most reason to go rogue to try to take her out, which makes Anduin either very stupid or he really wanted them to attack.

The fact that Genn and Rodgers weren’t punished afterward speaks volumes to Sylvanas (and Saurfang as well when she points it out). All I can find is that Anduin shook his finger at them for being naughty.

As to the reason she was there, it literally did not matter. Nobody beyond Sylvanas herself knew what her plan was (even Nathanos didn’t know).

As for Greywatch, was this before or after Genn attacked the Forsaken fleet?

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Rogers should be flogged for losing an airship. Again.

Seriously, she is the reason we can't have good things.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Even if Stormheim didn't happen, that doesn't change Sylvanas' motives. As long as she doesn't have a way to ensure immortality for herself she is going to attack the Alliance as a threat to herself, and if she did acquire the power of the Valkyr, she would attack the Alliance to prevent them from stripping that away from her.

Blizzard wanted a war with Sylvanas as the instigator, and wrote it that way.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    The only answer is to destroy her or lightforge her.

But I repeat myself.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    The only answer is to destroy her or lightforge her.

But I repeat myself.

That’s one way to get a child of light and shadow >.>

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    this expansion seems like it would have been a good time to finally merge the draenai and blood elf zones with their proper continents and give them the flying-enabled makeover, kind of sucks they didn't bother.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Good news: she's probably not undead anymore.

Bad news: everything else

• Options
    Good news: she's probably not undead anymore.

Bad news: everything else

Per the BTS novel
    You can have Light Undead

• Options
    Undead Light, same great evil, but half the calories.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

It is, because it could be. If the Alliance had been first to strike, the Horde probably wouldn't have been able to launch a counter-offensive, which very well could have happened if they felt suitably empowered by the appearance of Azerite, especially considering that Greymane was practically king. So for Sylvanas, the Horde had to strike first, to ensure its own survival.

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular

Which we will, now.

Um, Genn already tried.

Which doesn't seem to factor into things ever. The argument became that it never really happened last time it was brought up.

Sylvanas doing bad things isn't enough. Players want a maximum evil with no redeemable qualities.

• Options
    edited August 2018

Which we will, now.

Um, Genn already tried.

Anduin sent his best warship to shadow her, and put the two people in charge who had the most reason to go rogue to try to take her out, which makes Anduin either very stupid or he really wanted them to attack.

The fact that Genn and Rodgers weren’t punished afterward speaks volumes to Sylvanas (and Saurfang as well when she points it out). All I can find is that Anduin shook his finger at them for being naughty.

As to the reason she was there, it literally did not matter. Nobody beyond Sylvanas herself knew what her plan was (even Nathanos didn’t know).

As for Greywatch, was this before or after Genn attacked the Forsaken fleet?

They went after Sylvanas because she got their king killed as far as they could tell, plus Genn's whole revenge thing. After they failed to find her, Genn uncovered the part about plaguing Greywatch like they did Gilneas. Reading that wiki it sounds like they were sent to find the Aegis and ran into the horde fleet. Genn decided to follow her unofficially, not Anduin.

Also their actions weren't just ignored, although whether this counts as punishment or not is up to you.
    Sometime after the campaign in Stormheim, High King Anduin Wrynn rebuked Sky Admiral Rogers and Genn Greymane for taking his assignment much further than he had ordered.[33]

I don't want sylvanas to be mustache twirling evil but that's certainly how she seems to keep getting written. The people going after her have no reason to think otherwise.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I can't believe I'm enjoying Sodapoppin's transmog battle

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Undead Light, same great evil, but half the calories.

Well that is what Light Valkyr are, and the Valarjar are an army of souls bound by the Light to Stormforged construct bodies.

Odyn is a Light Dick btw.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I have a question about Legion content, which I'm trying to plow through as fast as possible with the short time frame before BfA launches. Or, two questions.

1) is Argus a zone or a raid?
    2) how time-locked are the methods to raise reputation with the necessary factions for the new races?

This discussion has been closed.