As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Battle for Azeroth has landed!

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I feel like the free 340 gear at the end of Warfronts has completely invalidated the entire dungeon progression system after only a month of this expansion coming out.

There's no need for a person to do the Normal -> Heroic -> Mythic progression anymore in dungeons, or even run dungeons at all, because they can get free 340's in 15 minutes of War Fronts.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm 100% in favor of catch-up mechanics as an expansion ages, and as old content becomes trivial and new content requires a higher bar of entry. So that's what I'm not upset about here.

What irritates me is that the expansion is only 1 month old. It came out basically this time last month. All of the content is still fresh. There is no such thing as trivial content, and there is no such thing as obsolete tiers within this expansion. There is literally zero need for catchup mechanics this early in the expansion.

And yet here we are. They're already giving out 340s for free after only 4 weeks of the expansion even being in existence. With the release of this one new feature, they have completely excluded dungeons from ever needing to be run again.

I think if the warfront scenario was always available that would be the case but its only available for it looks like 1 maybe 2 weeks in a month. Now that LFR is out its nice gear catchup but not much more than that. It is a boost so people can get into normal raids and mythics easier.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    But dungeons aren't being invalidated, and warfronts being charitable with gear DOES make M+ more accessible, because it's giving you the gear you need to access them.

And if your argument is 'I want to have to run dungeons a lot, but I don't want to interact with mythic +, then I have no idea what you actually want out of the dungeon system.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Y’all are kind of missing the point, and Lucas is right. War fronts give a guaranteed piece of gear. Mythic dungeons do not. War fronts are 100% repeatable for that week. There are a limited number of mythic dungeons per week. Also, when done right people have reported 10 minute warfront runs. Even if exaggerated, 20 minutes for a guaranteed item VASTLY beats out longer dungeons for a non guaranteed item. Most people will take guaranteed in a heartbeat.

Do you remember what happened last time dungeons were invalidated that early? It was wod. There were ways to be geared beyond heroic dungeons super early. It became dead content. I know m+ does change that a little, but m+ is not as approachable as it seems especially this early.

Think long term. They are already making some poor decisions long term this xpac. This is likely going to be another one.

Also, pretty fucked that for almost 2 weeks longer this is an advantage entirely held by horde only

My suspicion is that they want to try to push people into M+ and raiding faster. Set 340 as a "if you want it, it's easy to get" floor, and then push people into that content.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    But dungeons aren't being invalidated, and warfronts being charitable with gear DOES make M+ more accessible, because it's giving you the gear you need to access them.

And if your argument is 'I want to have to run dungeons a lot, but I don't want to interact with mythic +, then I have no idea what you actually want out of the dungeon system.

I did not say anything about M+.

I said it makes it possible to skip the Normal through regular Mythic progression.

M+ is a different beast, and I intentionally left it out of my post completely. I have run many M+ myself over the past week, and M+ isn't the issue here.

The issue is simply that it seems like they're shortcutting a large part of the expansion very early in the expansion's lifecycle.

Of course, I also did not realize the War Fronts were a 4 week rotation. I thought it was a back and forth flip flop. The fact that it takes 4 weeks makes it much less of a big deal, as a person can fully gear for Mythic the "normal way" if they hit the War Front rotation at the wrong time.

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    It definitely does start the process of invalidating dungeons, it's just with the long rotation you could go almost an entire month of dungeons resulting in the Warfront being invalidated before you can even do it as well. It's a weird system they went with.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Oh sweet, the second Conquest item is a 355 azerite chest.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Y’all are kind of missing the point, and Lucas is right. War fronts give a guaranteed piece of gear. Mythic dungeons do not. War fronts are 100% repeatable for that week. There are a limited number of mythic dungeons per week. Also, when done right people have reported 10 minute warfront runs. Even if exaggerated, 20 minutes for a guaranteed item VASTLY beats out longer dungeons for a non guaranteed item. Most people will take guaranteed in a heartbeat.

Do you remember what happened last time dungeons were invalidated that early? It was wod. There were ways to be geared beyond heroic dungeons super early. It became dead content. I know m+ does change that a little, but m+ is not as approachable as it seems especially this early.

Think long term. They are already making some poor decisions long term this xpac. This is likely going to be another one.

Also, pretty fucked that for almost 2 weeks longer this is an advantage entirely held by horde only

My suspicion is that they want to try to push people into M+ and raiding faster. Set 340 as a "if you want it, it's easy to get" floor, and then push people into that content.

And if you have a full set of 340 lower level mythics should be very doable and straight forward.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Let me tell you guys something, Temple of Sethralis is super fun with necrotic. Specifically the orb room where you need to be grabbing lots of adds. Bring slows, knockbacks, and CC in that place.

• Options
    Yeah Temple is easily the least favorite of the M+ we've done so far. And on the other side of the spectrum, Atal'Dazar is easy as shit and is probably going to be the one to push whenever it comes up.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I did not say anything about M+.

I said it makes it possible to skip the Normal through regular Mythic progression.

M+ is a different beast, and I intentionally left it out of my post completely. I have run many M+ myself over the past week, and M+ isn't the issue here.

The issue is simply that it seems like they're shortcutting a large part of the expansion very early in the expansion's lifecycle.

Of course, I also did not realize the War Fronts were a 4 week rotation. I thought it was a back and forth flip flop. The fact that it takes 4 weeks makes it much less of a big deal, as a person can fully gear for Mythic the "normal way" if they hit the War Front rotation at the wrong time.

The goal of normal/heroic/mythic dungeons is no longer primarily to act as gear progression; hence why world quests can give equivalent or better rewards. Gear from dungeons, especially normal and heroic, is secondary at best. The purpose is to establish a comfort with the various dungeon mechanics.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

The accessibility of M+ is not gear based, but population based.

Gear has been something they care about, but what keeps the general population out of them is the raider.io scores. You can hit 340 however you want, but likely unless you forge up a solid group to "prove" yourself you will be excluded from that content.

Which is why pretty much phasing out mythic 0 dungeons like this will be a huge issue. It doesn't matter how often it is, the people doing mythic 0 dungeons is going to dry up big time and then you will be left with no population to support it.

But I mean, just keep looking at the shiny gifts they give you to keep interested and ignore how it affects things in a broad scope. That is exactly what it is there for. Of course its not the end of the world, but to act like it won't be a problem is basically putting your head in the sand.

Why the fuck do we even have 3 goddamned levels of dungeon difficulty when almost all 3 of them are useless only a MONTH into a brand new expansion?

I hate to be blunt and call shit out, but I wouldn't be shocked if this all becomes a hot topic in the future and everyone conveniently forgets it was brought up earlier.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Sounds like the better option would be to restrict raider.io and similar apps from accessing the API.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Double post

Tynnan on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Oh there is no way you can get rid of the raider.io effect. People will figure out something to do the same thing, even if they need to enter it manually.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    If they had made this part of warfront available closer to release this would be a huge fucking problem. But it didn't come out until Saturday of last week. So that gave people plenty of time to grind out exalted with BfA factions, do MO, maybe craft a few pieces of similar ilvl, do world quests that reward baseline 340 gear or luck out with RNG and get a forged item. Then we had 6 days of M+ and Uldir up to heroic. At this point, most of what people would see on mains or serious alts would be tons of scrap fodder. I got a pair of bracers from one warfront that was a slight upgrade because it had the speed stat, the pair I had before that warfront, was something I got out of Arathi during the gathering phase. The pants I got at 370, were an upgrade and they do come with a socket and had hast. Everything else was scrap because it either had no haste or less haste than a current 340 piece I had.

I see some argument with the 370 piece; however, RNG probably fucked a fair number of horde players. It can be a piece for any gear slot minus rings & trinkets. So probably fair number got either a piece that was a lower ilvl or a piece that had a worse secondary stat setup. Yes, there are a few where it was really good for them, but that's the case with everything. Depending on how reset work with the boss in Arathi (I know the world boss in Broken Shore reset with the weekly reset), might give alliance players a shot at its loot twice before getting into bonus rolls (never tried seeing if I could do a third roll killing something a second time). Rings aren't great, but given Blizz's design with trinkets, the trinket could easily be a bigger dps gain than a 370 piece. I do think there is a complaint here that is worthwhile, but I wouldn't phrase in regards to the world first races because I doubt it does fuck all there.

For dungeons, I don't see how this invalidate them at all. Normals pretty much became dead once it got easier to get better gear from other sources. Same for heroics. I mean the argument could be spun as why do dungeons when LFR gives better loot? (well the answer is that it can be a real cesspool on some nights). Why do dungeons when one can farm up gold and by crafted epics off the AH or from rep vendors? Why run dungeons when you can PvP? Why do dungeons when world quests will probably reward similar or better gear? Why run dungeons now when new content will just give us better rewards? I run dungeons because I find them fun. When I stopped having fun, I just stopped running them, even if there were upgrades there. Hell, if you're optimizing and not raiding or doing M+, some of your BIS is still in those dungeons.

I think the biggest critiques of warfronts is that that the time line is absurd and it's kind of bullshit that people in PvE shards get flagged (the controlling side gets a world boss and quests). I suspect that this will stay at 340 until the next tier of raiding arrives and then it'll probably be what we saw in legion. As in for many people's mains and alts, they'll have better gear than what warfronts tier 2(?)/season(?) will drop. We'll probably still be talking about how fucking long it takes and how long it takes to complete mission table research for alts.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

At this point, I think that the most likely immediate outcome is for Blizzard to decide that handing out easy 370 and 340 gear is a mistake, and the Alliance will get a single 340 piece of gear from the Warfront and everything else will be cosmetic. However, the Horde gear will not be rolled back.
    No, not really, but that's how this expansion feels so far.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I dont see what the problem is. If warfronts are up you can do the warfronts. Otherwise theres dungeons and WQ and soon LFR. Then there'll be a patch and progression will orient around that etc

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I dont see what the problem is. If warfronts are up you can do the warfronts. Otherwise theres dungeons and WQ and soon LFR. Then there'll be a patch and progression will orient around that etc

Not even soon, the first wing of LFR opened today.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »

Does the WoW Community still have an irrational hatred for LFR? I remember coming into Legion seeing a lot of pitchfork and torches and always felt the anger towards LFR was a distraction to a bigger issue with raiding (too many layers of RNG and raiding tiers)

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Huzzah, exalted with Order of Embers and Storm's Wake on the same day. Proudmoore is next likely, followed by Champions then Turtles. I honestly don't expect to hit exalted with the turtles until sometime in 8.1. Whenever that is.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I think it's easier to skip the dungeon loop than some of you think it is. I've never gotten an upgrade from one (cuz I've only done three) and i'm still average ilvl 344.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

Does the WoW Community still have an irrational hatred for LFR? I remember coming into Legion seeing a lot of pitchfork and torches and always felt the anger towards LFR was a distraction to a bigger issue with raiding (too many layers of RNG and raiding tiers)

I think there's always going to be a group of people that will complain about it. I think it's kind of fizzled out, but the rage has come and gone since LFR was introduced.

With that being said, everyone is probably too busy being irritated about other parts of BFA to worry about LFR so I guess that "helps"

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

I can't say I remember that complaint in Legion.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Went to fight the explodey guy in Tiragarde Sound for the WQ again today. "Don't get blown up," I warn everyone.

The raid was just shy of collectively eating shit from his first volley.
    Edit - Sweet I got 355 gloves off the world boss for this week.

Henroid on
  • Options

Yes for some reason the concept of having your end game content that takes a lot of time and money to make gets used by more than 1% of the community is anathema to them.

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    The worst part to me is that you need to kill all 3 commanders to unlock a research trait on your boat. The Horde has only seen one of the three for this Warfront (unless it changed today) which means we're looking at close to 3 months before we can get the next research for our boat.

This timeline expanded at least 2 additional weeks for Alliance since they won't get to fight in the Warfront until then. This is also assuming that the commanders cycle like they should and there isn't a bug preventing one commander from spawning or something.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    They really should have held off on warfronts until they had 2 ready to go. Put them on opposite schedules so that both Horde and Alliance have one of them running at the same time.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    LFR Is loathed by a vocal minority of infantile children still stuck in the "This person has a small slice of cake now my big slice of cake tastes bad." Mindset.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Sooo, the horde side of Lordaeron felt even longer and, impossibly, more boring.

Then there's that goddamn pyramid.

Horde-side questing...gets better, right?

I liked Zuldazar and Nazmir a lot, with Nazmir probably being my favorite. Vol'dun I could really take or leave, since the first 2/3rd of the zone doesn't really have a cohesive story. Once you start interacting with the Sethrakk it gets better.

Alt: Fuck the Sethrakk. Just give me all Vulpera all the time babeeeee.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Sooo, the horde side of Lordaeron felt even longer and, impossibly, more boring.

I liked Zuldazar and Nazmir a lot, with Nazmir probably being my favorite. Vol'dun I could really take or leave, since the first 2/3rd of the zone doesn't really have a cohesive story. Once you start interacting with the Sethrakk it gets better.

Alt: Fuck the Sethrakk. Just give me all Vulpera all the time babeeeee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYvIqO6Z8KA

• Options
    WE TALKIN' BOUT FUCKING SNA- oh the sethrakk. ugh. no tail.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular

The zone story quests are awesome. But each zone felt to me like it went on forever, especially if you complete the non-story quests. But I enjoyed them individually, just as a whole it definitely felt like a slog towards the end.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Horde side was good, alliance side was just better.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    lmao they basically didn't change MOTHER's mechanics for LFR

have fun with the wall boss folks

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

The itemization design for BfA seems to be that all the faceroll easy content (Emissary rewards, War Fronts, M0, LFR) will get you to 340. If you want to advance beyond 340, you'll need to participate in more difficult gameplay: M+, Normal or Heroic raids, and PvP that you actually win (for Conquest). That seems fine to me.

I do agree it sucks that the Horde got the real War Front experience first, but the way for Blizzard to solve the awkward War Front phasing is to introduce more War Fronts. That seems like something that will happen. And I bet for the second one, Alliance will have first shot at it.

htm on
  • Options
    lmao they basically didn't change MOTHER's mechanics for LFR

have fun with the wall boss folks

Good, LFR bosses are better when people have to try. A raid full of tank and spank is a waste of time.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    For me Vol'dun is the only zone that actually works, the main quest moves along at a fairly brisk pace and even the silly stuff there ends up mostly being cute. The desert has a kind of haunting beauty to it, especially when you are in sections with low amounts of mobs around.
    Zuldazar isn't helped by the feeling of constantly going back and forth across the map and I found the quests to be largely meh even the first time through, though I admit it is partially because it felt like a bunch of stupid trolls with a bunch of stupid troll problems.
    Nazmir gets a lot of stuff right and has a nice start and middle but the later sections gets ruined by the inclusion of the goblins.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    The desert has a kind of haunting beauty to it, especially when you are in sections with low amounts of mobs around.

Word. I've just finished sections of Drustvar and Stormsong where the mob density and respawn rates are off the charts and make it exceedingly difficult for a non-stealthy class to simply move around. It's puzzling that the Devs still have not figured out how to adjust these things to a comfortable level.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    One of my favorite LFR moments when I came back at the end of Legion was solo tanking Kil'Jaden. The other tank left and I was like, whelp if the healers are up for I will solo tank it.

I was just above minimum i-level to get in.

And I was blowing cooldowns left and right.

But god damn we got him down.

Sure it was LFR. But god damn it I feel accomplished on that one. Dude had a stacking damage buff on me maxed out.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Thanks for the input re: Zandalar. I'll keep on keepin' on horde-side questing. I think I might have been a little more tired of bullshit than average after wading through Lordaeron's worthless intro AND jailbreak for two characters I've never met before.

They've really gotta get over this boner for "playable" cutscenes - it's a waste of everyone's time. Find a better way to tell the story *and* a better way to deliver gameplay. I don't need a mediocre version of both in a single mandatory sludge pile.

This discussion has been closed.