Options

[Dead Cells] - Out of Early Access and on Consoles

Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
edited August 2018 in Social Entropy++
Dead Cells is officially out and it smokes.

https://youtu.be/RvGaSPTcTxc

I'm in the middle of a hella good run from last night, have multiple gold weapon drops, I'm just pure DOT destruction.

https://youtu.be/gX4cGcwmdsY

Dead Cells is out on consoles and PC and it's badass.

Medium Dave on

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    This game fucking rules

It plays great on Switch, aside from some relatively minor slowdown (at least so far)

I made it up to the first boss today and did alright, I died but got it down to about half health?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Look at this fucking sword that just randomly dropped for me. I am now streamrolling everything. It has a bit of a pause before the first swing but I've gotten use to it and love it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I like to shoot bows and hide behind shields like a big old coward.

• Options
    Holy shit that's a rad sword. I still am not used to the delay of broadswords, myself. Twin daggers are fucking aces for me.

One thing that strikes me about this game is how damn well-tuned it feels. The sound, the movement, the controls, everything just works so well together.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    this games pret good

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Infantry Bow 4 lyfe

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I should learn to use shields

Instead I will continue to be the big coward who drops shooty traps and lets them do the work

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I used that sword to kill the first boss in my first try, only getting to half health. Then on the next level I died to a curse because I did not know what that laughing chest did.

That was a rad sword. I will miss it dearly.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I might jump back into this after I finish Hollow Knight, since I dropped off it a while back.

Are there any major changes with the full release compared to early access?

• Options
    I know I am a clown who sucks but man it feels like the parry window could be a smidge more generous, arrows I can parry pretty reliably but melee stuff is just too fast

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    This game is boss, y'all should get it

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i can't imagine trying to parry anything in this game because the roll has a million billion iframes

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I don’t even know how to parry. I think I do it without even noticing.

• Options
    To parry you block with a shield just before an attack hits you

• Options
    There are some enemies later on who are a lot easier with a shield

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »

I think you need to tap shield but not hold shield to parry? I could be wrong.

Or just making my life way harder on myself.

• Options

Ah. I need to try shields.

• Options
    I think holding it is okay it's just that the window for melee attacks is like, small

• Options
    edited August 2018
    I think holding it is okay it's just that the window for melee attacks is like, small

Quick google says:

"If you tap button, you can see sheld swing animation, that's your parry frames.
    If you hold button, parry animation is hidden behind block animation, but parry is still happening.
    Once parry frames are over you'll be in block mode until button is released."

I get it now but that was definitely not intuitive to me!

Edit: Wow, I knew cursed treasure chests would have drawbacks but FUCK that noise. Completely tanked my run that was going great. Never again.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Cursed chests are almost never worth it

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Impaler

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I feel like the game got a bit easier since I last played it in 2017, but it's possible that dying on the Black Bridge too many times prepared me for release.

Also, I need to stop taking cursed chests.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I ran into a cursed chest on PC and immediately forgot about the single-hit kill and died to the first enemy I encountered. Good job, me!

• Options
    Cursed chests are like "hey man, want to end this run really early for no reason???"

• Options
    I have a real rough time with those dual-sword wielding fellas

If I have something like freeze or whatnot to lock them down it’s little issue, but if I don’t, hoo boy.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I’ve gone from relentlessly playing Enter the Gungeon to this. Dunno how I’ll go back to games with actual continue functions now.

Once I get past the stilt village the sheer damage and stuns enemies put like to put out means traps and the cool down mutation are all that’s saving me, this is not an easy game.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I can get down the bridge boss pretty consistently, but the location after that has thus far eluded me.

That said I think I could have done it last run had I not opened my first cursed chest ever. Never again.
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I have a real rough time with those dual-sword wielding fellas

If I have something like freeze or whatnot to lock them down it’s little issue, but if I don’t, hoo boy.

Are they the teleporty dudes? I like shields for them. Either I get the parry timing right and get to kill them or go to early and just get a block, which often just stuns them anyway, but either way gives a large enough gap to stun and kill.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Yeah, the teleporters. I should try shields more often, I just usually go with dual blades or something if I can because I gotta go fast.

• Options
    shields are good and generally the parry timing is pretty easy, just hit the button when you see the exclamation point

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Finished my good good run first thing last night; got all the way past boss 2 but died in the next area.

Made my way through the sewers last night to get the rune down there. I think that area is easier than the battlements if only because double sword dudes aren't there. Fuck those guys.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I need to buy this

• Options
    The Consigliere or whatever that dickheads name on the Black Bridge is can kiss on my anus

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Stayed up too late playing this, finally made it past the second area. Even got to the first boss! Boy they had a lot of health

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I haven't played the full release yet, so I need to get back in to this. I am very bad at this game, but fuck it is fun as hell.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I ended up with a really good setup on my second run and beat the black bridge guard. Then i took a break, came back to the game in handheld mode, and died on the very next stage as i mixed up the roll and secondary weapon buttons. Oh well.

This game is really good. I don't know how bullshit things get later on, but the controls really feel good, and that goes a long way. Big fan of using bows for everything, at least early on.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    The Concierge is a rough customer. I was hoping to get him with a combo of freeze shot + grenades, but he gets resistant to that after a point, and the regular grenades just don't do enough damage.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    This wasn't even on my radar since I roguelikes/dark soul style games never interested me, but Giantbomb's QL intrigued me, and I wanted something new to play.

Totally worth it.

The procedural generated levels and the permanent stuff you build towards keeping in every run go a long way to making the deaths less frustrating.

More importantly, it's just feels so right. They nailed controls, feel, everything.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    The Concierge is a rough customer. I was hoping to get him with a combo of freeze shot + grenades, but he gets resistant to that after a point, and the regular grenades just don't do enough damage.

I think I'm coming to terms with the idea that I won't be able to just roll around and spam garbage to kill this asshole and will actually have to like dodge and jump consistently while also attacking and man I don't like it

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    The Consigliere or whatever that dickheads name on the Black Bridge is can kiss on my anus

Firestarter is pretty good at killing him.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    So far the lesson i've learned with every boss and elite enemy is that fair melee engagements are a mistake

Every time i win it's because i found some good traps and pumped them up before i walked in