As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dead Cells] - Out of Early Access and on Consoles

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Well, the procedural generation created a level that I physically cannot get through right at the start of the furthest I've ever gotten, so that's cooooooool

I have never heard of this happening and am doubtful that it's actually impassable

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It was not impassible, but it was extremely finicky and buggy and required me to mash roll about 40 times before it decided to let me through

6F32U1X.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    For some reason the Toxic Sewers wreck me. I keep trying to do the elite fight there but get destroyed.

I can fly through the alternate route with no issues, and the ramparts as well.

Drez
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Peewi wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    I bought this game because everyone seemed to be going crazy about it and I'm not that into it. When I die after 20 minutes I usually don't want to keep playing.

I'm kind of reminded of Rogue Legacy, which I also didn't like.

Do you like any rogue-like games?

Keep in mind every time you complete one level and invest cells you are progression at the meta level.

I think I prefer them without the meta level. I fucking love Spelunky and Nuclear Throne.
    @Peewi The meta layer in Dead Cells is WAY less central to actual progression than in Rogue Legacy. In Rogue Legacy you're straight up grinding stats until the game becomes winnable, which I really didn't like. Dead Cells is theoretically winnable on the first run and practically winnable after a couple of potion upgrades. Everything after that has felt like gravy to me so far. (Not that I've actually won a run yet.)

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Well, the procedural generation created a level that I physically cannot get through right at the start of the furthest I've ever gotten, so that's cooooooool

I have never heard of this happening and am doubtful that it's actually impassable

It totally happened back in early access, back around when they first added clock tower & the spider and ram runes. The level generation wasn't accounting for you not having them, or just being weird

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Best quirk of the procedural generation I've had is a portal on the other side of a timed door close enough to activate and use.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
    godmodeAlanF5KwoaruFencingsaxNobeard
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Just dipped back into this on PS4 after only dipping my toes in on PC. Beat the Concierge on my 2nd playthrough with a pretty dope double slicer trap, amulet with oil, firebrand, legendary bow set-up.

Think this will getting much more of a workout on PS4.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I appreciate on paper the irreverence of the tone of this game, but in actuality wow is it extremely unfunny

I agree, except for the room in the clock tower that was just
    swords, more swords, and yep, more swords

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I appreciate on paper the irreverence of the tone of this game, but in actuality wow is it extremely unfunny
    Yeah I like that it has a streak of casualness in this incredibly bleak world but shit like finding a prisoner who hung himself and going "A moment of silence....NAH!" and kicking his corpse down so you can steal his necklace was

Not very good

CYpGAPn.png
    masterofmetroid
  • MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    For some reason the Toxic Sewers wreck me. I keep trying to do the elite fight there but get destroyed.

I don't have any advice for the elite fight itself but I've found using the frost blast + a shooting trap like the sinew slicer and just going slow and cheesing the level is a good way to go through sewers. It might help you make it to the elite with a lot of health and potions at least. If you're not specifically trying to hit the timed doors then the game actually rewards slow methodical play, which is sort of a strange but cool dynamic I think.

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • burboburbo Registered User regular

I don't have any advice for the elite fight itself but I've found using the frost blast + a shooting trap like the sinew slicer and just going slow and cheesing the level is a good way to go through sewers. It might help you make it to the elite with a lot of health and potions at least. If you're not specifically trying to hit the timed doors then the game actually rewards slow methodical play, which is sort of a strange but cool dynamic I think.

I usually find the scorpions to be the biggest issue in the sewers. That was, until I realized I could duck under their projectile. Then they are practically harmless.

Tonkka
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular

I think this happened to me once in early access, so while its possible in a procedural generation for this to occur its probably just very very rare.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    burbo wrote: »

I usually find the scorpions to be the biggest issue in the sewers. That was, until I realized I could duck under their projectile. Then they are practically harmless.

the problem with the scorps is your one level up above a level that has some dangerous enemy, like one of those giant skeletons with the huge sword.... you wait for your opportunity to drop down and shoot an arrow at his back. drop down, start to draw your powerful but slow bow...and a scorp pops up behind you. fires, knocks you into the skeleton.

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Holy shit, actual game changer
    I spent all this time thinking you had to spend cells in the rest areas but i had run out of blueprints so i thought it was some some weird oversight and i was just trapped

Turns out you can just smash that door open with your weapon

Shorty
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    y92b7aa4as3l.png
    Oh man I am going to miss this build when i die
    Off to the clock room i go

TheStigMarek
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I spent all this time thinking you had to spend cells in the rest areas but i had run out of blueprints so i thought it was some some weird oversight and i was just trapped

Oh huh, so that's how you can get enough cells to make a dent in that drop quality boost

97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
    Best mutation has got to be sadism.

Shortyrhylith
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    sadism is excellent, that and support nearly always get picked since I don't think grenades generally do quite enough work

Maddoc wrote: »

Oh huh, so that's how you can get enough cells to make a dent in that drop quality boost

If you have nothing to spend the cells on the door should just open normally. you can choose to not upgrade blueprints by destroying the door if you want to keep the cells however.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah I like that it has a streak of casualness in this incredibly bleak world but shit like finding a prisoner who hung himself and going "A moment of silence....NAH!" and kicking his corpse down so you can steal his necklace was

Not very good

I mentioned this on twitter in response to The Messenger, but I'm super ready for indie games to just stop trying to be funny. Feels like every single one is just trying to be a slightly irreverent, meta jokey tone. I'm very done.

Dead Cells has included the worst possible joke you can make without actually being offensive, which is the "this is such bad game design!" joke in your video game

6F32U1X.png
    BlankZoePaperLuigi44Mr FuzzbuttDrez
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The humor in Dead Cells doesn't really seem to suit the overall tone or themes/genre of the game

Like, I'm fine with having some funny stuff in your games, but it needs to match the genre

If Dead Cells had some super wry black comedy sort of stuff, maybe that would work? I mean, maybe that's what they were going for, but they missed the mark if that's the case

TheStig
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the dead cells humor is very much of the "funniest guy in the office" variety

I doubt anyone who's been paid for laughs before ever got eyes on the writing

g06xp1pm4dp2.png
    I died.
    But this build, this build is the most powerful build I have ever built
    With this I will clear the game

ShortyTonkka
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    So, I am very bad at it, but phaser with the broadsword is very entertaining. Completely annihilates Runners, so much fun.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    There's a fuckin goddamn 300 gag in this 2018 videogame, that bodes most ill for its comedy chops, a dead cat in a well wouldn't bode iller for water quality

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    The Legolas quote on one of the bows also rubs me the wrong way

if you have to attribute it to somebody, attribute that shit to Tolkein, Legolas ain't real!

I recognize that one is mostly me being pedantic

6F32U1X.png
    Wait I actually had a question before I got distracted by bad jokes, what gets you more cells, making it to the timed doors or clearing zones thoroughly? It seems like later zones drop cells like crazy but there's also more cells behind the doors

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Wait I actually had a question before I got distracted by bad jokes, what gets you more cells, making it to the timed doors or clearing zones thoroughly? It seems like later zones drop cells like crazy but there's also more cells behind the doors

I’ve found the timed doors to be more trouble than they’re worth, aside from one run through to get any patterns in them.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    The Legolas quote on one of the bows also rubs me the wrong way

if you have to attribute it to somebody, attribute that shit to Tolkein, Legolas ain't real!

I recognize that one is mostly me being pedantic

This is actually something I get pedantic about in the opposite direction!

There were a bunch of billboards around me recently (for The Good Fight, I think) that had "'The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers' - William Shakespeare" on them. Which, yeah, that's a line he wrote, it's in Henry VI Part 2. But it's a line that is to be delivered by a character named Dick the Butcher, who is a brutish sort of commoner who aspires to tin-pot dictator. Not a good dude, essentially, and that line is supposed to be indicative of this - it's a small-minded and brutal solution to a complicated problem.

So it's really weird to attribute that to Shakespeare, in my mind. By presenting it as just being a Shakespeare quote, you're purporting that it was something that he actually believed, which I'm pretty sure it wasn't.

Edit: I admittedly haven't seen the specific quote that is being referenced here, as I probably don't have that item unlocked yet, so maybe it is a different situation.

Straightzi on
    Fencingsax
    I heard Shakespeare didn't write any of that shit

TheStig
  • masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Conversely, with the exception of the first one in the Promenade witch really wants you to rush, i find hitting the timed doors to be pretty easy if you don't get bogged down fighting enemies all the time

The one in the rest area after Black Bridge feels almost free unless i really scour the areas before i go in

I roll past so many chumps, especially if i didn't get good intial weapon drops

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I don't think it's a real Legolas quote either.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    If you just want cells then blitzing the timed doors is probably faster right?

It always seemed like a comparable number to me but you're rushing timed doors then youre getting them faster than doing full clears

2x39jD4.jpg

Getting to the doors feels better for cell farming to me. If you just kill the easy enemies in front of you, and rush through the doors, you should be able to get ~75 cells or something per blacksmith run (if that's where you want to go), which takes ~ 15 minutes including time spent between zones. Then the one in the stilt village is practically free.

At that point, there are no more timed doors, so you can just take your time as the real end game drops might start coming.

Though I spose you can't really speed through past the Concierge because if you get to the Concierge with the starter weapons and only a couple stat upgrades you are turbofucked

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    It gets a little sketchy with a huge train of dudes chasing after you, especially the teleporters in the promenade.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    Though I spose you can't really speed through past the Concierge because if you get to the Concierge with the starter weapons and only a couple stat upgrades you are turbofucked[/qu
    Though I spose you can't really speed through past the Concierge because if you get to the Concierge with the starter weapons and only a couple stat upgrades you are turbofucked

I've never actually had an issue with the Concierge on a speed run. You'll likely pick up a couple of weapons or go to shops along the way, so you'll get something. Plus, the way the scaling works, he's weaker than he would be otherwise. There is also often a nice drop or two behind the doors.

Plus, you get a lot more practice. Before long, you've seen everything that sweet boi can do.

Septus wrote: »
    It gets a little sketchy with a huge train of dudes chasing after you, especially the teleporters in the promenade.

You can kill dudes along the way, just don't go out of your way.

Also, that's what traps and stuff are for :)