As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I think describing the human beings that revolted against Rome's rule after decades of oppression and genocide as a "Pandemic" is... bad.

admanb on
  • A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    I think describing the human beings that revolted against Rome's rule after decades of oppression and genocide as a "Pandemic" is... bad.

They need the name recognition. They've been using the mechanics for a lot of non "pandemic" things. I wonder if they'll re-brand it soon.

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

You beat me to it I was just fucking thinking that. Especially in this climate with the refugee crisis in Europe and the rise of nationalist parties. Let's just have a game that deals with them like you would a plague!

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Ooh! What if the Romans are the Pandemic, and your goal is to eradicate them!

...maybe not better.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    Yeah I think that both the concept sucks and branding a reaction against imperialism as a murderous inhuman disease sucks even more.

They're obviously gonna squeeze as much blood as they can from this stone but they can at least be less aggressively shitty about it.

edited September 2018
    edit: blaming this double post on my terrible office wi-fi

admanb on
    Next up Pandemic: Undocumented Immigrants! Build the wall to stem the flow of brown meeples who bring drug cubes into the country! Try to deport them before they have kids. But don't do too good a job or your agricultural sector will implode! Do just a good enough job to secure the vote of racists in your country.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I thought "Surely, this is going to be about the actual, well-documented plagues in the Roman empire that wiped out millions of people during its reign".

Nope, it's about taking your Roman Army Mans and wiping out Barbarian non-Roman Germanic Tribe Mans. Although "curing" a disease in this case means forging an alliance with that color group, allowing you to conscript disease cubes into Roman Army Mans to fend off the other color groups.

It's also going to be using dice for conflict resolution. Like Risk.

Umm.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    The tiny Centurion meeples are kinda cute, though.

Don't @ me.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    You know what's fucked up is that I actually think that this sounds like a fun idea and mechanic set if it wasn't "Western Civilization vs the Unwashed Barbarian Masses." Like if you made it a two player asymmetrical game about the American Revolution and you modeled the cube spreading mechanic as support for the Sons of Liberty, and when it outbreaks that represents unrest and then news of oppression spreads to nearby colonies. And then you don't name it Pandemic because that's fucking stupid but you could call it "Liberty or Death - A Pandemic System Game."

ChaosHat wrote: »
    You know what's fucked up is that I actually think that this sounds like a fun idea and mechanic set if it wasn't "Western Civilization vs the Unwashed Barbarian Masses." Like if you made it a two player asymmetrical game about the American Revolution and you modeled the cube spreading mechanic as support for the Sons of Liberty, and when it outbreaks that represents unrest and then news of oppression spreads to nearby colonies. And then you don't name it Pandemic because that's fucking stupid but you could call it "Liberty or Death - A Pandemic System Game."

You could do the same thing with the Gallic revolt! But rather than treating the tribes as an inhuman pandemic you treat them as legitimate forces with their own history and goals.

And just call it Falling Skies because fuck it who even cares anymore.

You know I'm really thinking about this sons of liberty game. Like instead of having the deck of cards that randomly has cities on it you could just have those be cards the SoL player plays. And the British player would still choose a few roles represented by mega pawns and then also have red colored army cubes to disperse. And you could levy taxes to get more army cubes but that's going to decrease the Crown's approval rating which allows the Americans to play more powerful effects on their cards.

So like a TS/Pandemic hybrid that plays in about 1hr to 90 minutes? If I had more time I could try to prototype this more but I think I have interesting ideas?

You know I'm really thinking about this sons of liberty game. Like instead of having the deck of cards that randomly has cities on it you could just have those be cards the SoL player plays. And the British player would still choose a few roles represented by mega pawns and then also have red colored army cubes to disperse. And you could levy taxes to get more army cubes but that's going to decrease the Crown's approval rating which allows the Americans to play more powerful effects on their cards.

So like a TS/Pandemic hybrid that plays in about 1hr to 90 minutes? If I had more time I could try to prototype this more but I think I have interesting ideas?

There's a liberty or death game going on a few thread down! COIN game, but the vibe you are looking for.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

There's a liberty or death game going on a few thread down! COIN game, but the vibe you are looking for.

Also with vastly more complex rules.

Inquisitor wrote: »

This is my first time playing, and I've definitely made some rule goofs. But the rules come off way more intimidating from reading than playing. I think if you get thee player and just tell them what they can do and goals it's not really all that complex. It baks louder than it bites.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

This is my first time playing, and I've definitely made some rule goofs. But the rules come off way more intimidating from reading than playing. I think if you get thee player and just tell them what they can do and goals it's not really all that complex. It baks louder than it bites.

I’ve played it once before, the problem is now unless I have the exact same group I have to teach it again, and that is a daunting task lol

I actually wasn't sure if you were referencing the actual game Liberty or Death as a joke or had just independently come up with the idea (and name). It definitely doesn't play in 60-90 minutes under normal circumstances, though playing solo or 1v1 with experienced players you might be able to get close.

And yeah I'm running a PbP that's about to end.

I'd probably have to rename the freaking thing but yeah I'd be going for a complexity level of maybe gateway+

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »

...maybe not better.

What if the entire thing takes place within the brain of Nero and you are removing debauchery cubes

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    JonBob wrote: »

...maybe not better.

What if the entire thing takes place within the brain of Nero and you are removing debauchery cubes

See, this is a pretty good idea too. What about just pandemic that's IN THE BODY. And you could have different enemies. Easy mode: Common cold. Moderate: Influenza. Hard mode: Ebola. Super difficulty mode: cancer. Choose roles such as: antibody, killer T cell and helper T cell!

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Is it really a pandemic if it is affecting one person?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Is it a Pandemic if you're building dikes in the Netherlands?

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I don’t know what we are taking about now. I thought lowlands was fun though.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

38thDoe wrote: »
    I don’t know what we are taking about now. I thought lowlands was fun though.

kvvy2tqvfpm5.png

Pandemic: Rising Tide, which is their previous headscratcher in terms of using Pandemic in the name of the game.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    BattleCon: Online is on Steam!

And its Free to Play!

Bedlam on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    i played some. i got beat repeatedly. seems alright. i have a lot harder time following it than the boardgame, but i never was any good at the boardgame either.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    GG Pook!

I cant believe I wiffed my first attack. Figured that was the last beat win or lose so I went all out, you almost had me though.

Counting distance is super important. They have an indicator of where your range is but they dont account for your movement. Also the green gage is new from when I last played in the pbp here.

Having fun so far :^:

(Im IntrovertedGiant, sent you a Friend Request)

Bedlam on
    edited September 2018
    Nice, that was a good match. I looked to see there was a rematch button somewhere right after that fight, but i didn't see one. My other matches were mostly against people who had a bunch of wins and were competently using more complicated characters and they were... Less fun.

Ah_Pook on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Just played Brass birmingham 2 games in a row. First was 3 players, 2 new people. Explained all the rules to the game and played. Went well but I trounced them going pottery, scored about 140 to 115. Second game added one new person. Instead of going over the rules I just basically played his first few turns for him open hand and explained what each of the actions were. I think that is the way to teach the game. Faster and he mostly had a better grasp of it. He ended up winning with mass cotton by only 3 points, I was last!

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Introduced Root to my usual group yesterday, and they thankfully loved it except for one guy we didn't want to play with anyway throwing a hissy fit and quitting the game an hour and a half in so we couldn't finish it, declaring it "a shit game" and "literally extremely unbalanced, and impossible to BE balanced"

ANYWAY, I had some rules questions on it that the book was not helping me figure out, namely two things:

1) when someone tries to enter an Alliance-sympathetic space or remove one of their sympathies without having any cards in hand to pay the toll, what happens?
    2) how the hell does crafting as the Vagabond work? I really don't understand how you know what build requirements you've filled as them

6F32U1X.png
    1. Whenever the moving player doesn't have a card that matches the suit they reveal their hand to the Woodland Alliance and the Woodland Alliance draws a card from the stack and adds it to supporters.

2. They exhaust hammers and each hammer counts as the suit of the space they're in.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Something crazy I saw at the store was Ultimate Werewolf Legacy. I think Legacy games may have jumped the shark.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    1. Whenever the moving player doesn't have a card that matches the suit they reveal their hand to the Woodland Alliance and the Woodland Alliance draws a card from the stack and adds it to supporters.

2. They exhaust hammers and each hammer counts as the suit of the space they're in.

1. Oh shit, I definitely had the wrong impression of that rule, I thought they then got to take a card at random out of that PLAYER'S hand! That would have changed our entire game!

But then for 2, how would a Vagabond then craft cards that take multiple suits? Is it like a process they can do over the turn, like craft to check off the Fox requirement, move to a rabbit space, then craft the Rabbit requirement and finish the card?

6F32U1X.png
    Legacy games have almost jumped the shark. I'm waiting for a Legacy Legacy game where what you do affects not only your future plays but all future plays across time and space. That actually sounds pretty cool though for like an app supported game.

Until like one group eradicates disease in a dick shaped pattern and you have to put that into your game.

I think Machi Koro Legacy getting announced was the end for legacy games

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Were there ever any good ones, besides Risk and Pandemic?

sig.gif
    The Netrunner legacy campaign is okay

6F32U1X.png
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Were there ever any good ones, besides Risk and Pandemic?

Charterstone was great.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Mr. G wrote: »

1. Oh shit, I definitely had the wrong impression of that rule, I thought they then got to take a card at random out of that PLAYER'S hand! That would have changed our entire game!

But then for 2, how would a Vagabond then craft cards that take multiple suits? Is it like a process they can do over the turn, like craft to check off the Fox requirement, move to a rabbit space, then craft the Rabbit requirement and finish the card?

Honestly I just assumed they couldn't, but that sounds like it would work.

Edit: checked forum posts and the Vagabond can only craft single-suit items. I'd have to check the cards but I'm guessing most of the multi suit items don't help them.

admanb on
This discussion has been closed.