As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    As Powerpuppies demonstrated there are A LOT of good dudes on a map game.

Perhaps if you could expand a little more on what you are looking for we could dial in more specific advice.

Like if all you really want to do is beat face than Kemet is great. Do you want something with many paths to win? Maybe Inis. But if you want to just beat face and pick up Inis you’ll be let down.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    As Powerpuppies demonstrated there are A LOT of good dudes on a map game.

Perhaps if you could expand a little more on what you are looking for we could dial in more specific advice.

Like if all you really want to do is beat face than Kemet is great. Do you want something with many paths to win? Maybe Inis. But if you want to just beat face and pick up Inis you’ll be let down.

We've mostly been playing Worker Placers recently (with Root sprinkled in). I'm looking for something with more interaction and aggression.

Unrelated got to try Western Legends tonight. Was pretty fun. Tried going Marshal, had a hard time keeping up with the player that went wanted even if he got arrested multiple times, but overall I enjoyed it.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I definitely want to experience Root. I hope to maybe at PAX. However, I am glad for the reviews because I know now that it will bounce off my game group within two plays. There just wouldn't be the buy in to learn all of the factions and just complaints about how they can't win.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    For doam, if you want a lighter game get Nexus Ops. If you want a more involved game get Kemet. If you want a way more involved game get Forbidden Stars.

This: these are all games about smashing the other players in the face, more or less.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    OK I figured out coins after a reread and we played through. Didn't understand initial placement if stickers but we did it right.

Here's a question
    so for winning it says negate a scar. Do I have to or is this optional. Same thing with territory cards?
    Please note that when you win a game you only get to choose ONE out of the many shiny options for winning. There are supposed to be way more of these than you will get to use across the campaign. If you are picking either of those options, that's all you are doing.
    Something else we may have gotten wrong. Can any 4 cards be turned in for red stars or just territory cards? I thought it was just terottory cards turbed in for stars. I think we messed this up not allowing coins.

Sorry for typos on cell phone an cleaning up the game
    Any 4 coin cards. This becomes more important. Territory cards are only different from the basic coin cards for, like, some very obvious card text. Otherwise you can think of territory cards as coins since that's about all they are while in your hand.
    One last question. Different post for spoiler reasons.

So I won the first game and decided to name western Australia and make it a major city. So I'm the only one that can start there.

Let's say I pick starting places second. And first pick picks eastern Australia as the can't pick western, I'm hosed right? Because of the starting rules of HQ''s nor being next to it, I now have to place somewhere outside of Australia and invade it.

And if I'm last pick, if everyone wants to be dicks, they could use that to make it so I'm nowhere Australia.

I only added the last part to make sure I understand the placement rules. I placed in western Australia the first game because there was no legal starting points for anyone else in Australia by doing that.
    Yes. Cities only create additional placement restrictions; they don't override the old ones. You still won't be allowed to start adjacent to each other.

OK so here's what I did, let's see of we did it right
    I put a major city down. A +1 sticker for Australia. Named australlia. Put a fkrcefid on major city.

Losing players that didn't get eliminated put a city down, and a coin counter on a territory card.

Does that seem right or wrong?

Yes, you did it wrong. I recommend you re-read the last page of the rulebook. Like I highlighted in bold already (and the rulebook highlights in caps), you only get to do ONE. This is also true of players who don't win and "hang on" (EITHER a minor city OR a coin gets added).

Maybe my reading comprehension is horrible in my old age, but man I feel these instructions haven't been clear. Initial coin set up confused the hell out of me, and I watched a video and did it their way. Turns out we could do it multiple ways.

This is one thing I like about legacy games, if I mess up, as long as I mess up consistently in the same manner I'm ok. I can correct this mistake on multiple ways, but at least I messed up other people's options and not just mine lol.

One last thing in spoilers to be cleAR
    @ArcticLancer

So, since I won, I get to sign the board. The n I have a choice to do one of these

Name a continent the get a bonus
    Found a major city
    Put a +1 -1 marker on a continent
    Fortify a city,
    Tear up a territory card
    Destroy a scar

I get to pick one of those for winning correct?

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Also on a different note, what's a really good dice game? Preferably something with some strategy to dig your teeth into, but random enough somebody just shaking dice and having fun can win. Me and my dad get way into strategy, my mom and GF, they just kind of play.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Also on a different note, what's a really good dice game? Preferably something with some strategy to dig your teeth into, but random enough somebody just shaking dice and having fun can win. Me and my dad get way into strategy, my mom and GF, they just kind of play.

Buy a mass of d6s, some beaten-up old cups, and look up instructions for Liar's Dice.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

King of Tokyo/New York

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

There isn't a lot of strategy, but maybe take a look at Age of War from Reiner Knizia? It can drag on at times when the dice just aren't going anyone's way, but it is a game that anyone shaking dice can win but could potentially benefit better strategy.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If I wanted to get a Dudes on a Map game, what would be threads suggestions? I'm between Cyclades, Kemet, and Inis, but any other suggestions welcome. I think I'd definitely get Chaos in the Old World if that was an option.

I'm a huge fan of History of the World, which is basically the Dudes on the Map game Risk wishes it was. It has a set turn limit, a drafting system with mechanics to help keep scores competitive through the whole course of the game, and some extra little mechanics that just make it pop.

It's not as involved as newer DoaM games but that's partially why I like it so much. If you've played Risk you understand how most of it works, it's just about explaining the extra bits that actually make it good, which takes less time than playing something like Kemet or Chaos in the Old World where people need multiple games of it to actually really grasp the mechanics and balance between different factions and stuff.

My understanding is that there's a new edition of it that's out soon (or now?) - it was out of print for a while.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    OK I figured out coins after a reread and we played through. Didn't understand initial placement if stickers but we did it right.

Here's a question
    so for winning it says negate a scar. Do I have to or is this optional. Same thing with territory cards?
    Please note that when you win a game you only get to choose ONE out of the many shiny options for winning. There are supposed to be way more of these than you will get to use across the campaign. If you are picking either of those options, that's all you are doing.
    Something else we may have gotten wrong. Can any 4 cards be turned in for red stars or just territory cards? I thought it was just terottory cards turbed in for stars. I think we messed this up not allowing coins.

Sorry for typos on cell phone an cleaning up the game
    Any 4 coin cards. This becomes more important. Territory cards are only different from the basic coin cards for, like, some very obvious card text. Otherwise you can think of territory cards as coins since that's about all they are while in your hand.
    One last question. Different post for spoiler reasons.

So I won the first game and decided to name western Australia and make it a major city. So I'm the only one that can start there.

Let's say I pick starting places second. And first pick picks eastern Australia as the can't pick western, I'm hosed right? Because of the starting rules of HQ''s nor being next to it, I now have to place somewhere outside of Australia and invade it.

And if I'm last pick, if everyone wants to be dicks, they could use that to make it so I'm nowhere Australia.

I only added the last part to make sure I understand the placement rules. I placed in western Australia the first game because there was no legal starting points for anyone else in Australia by doing that.
    Yes. Cities only create additional placement restrictions; they don't override the old ones. You still won't be allowed to start adjacent to each other.

OK so here's what I did, let's see of we did it right
    I put a major city down. A +1 sticker for Australia. Named australlia. Put a fkrcefid on major city.

Losing players that didn't get eliminated put a city down, and a coin counter on a territory card.

Does that seem right or wrong?

Yes, you did it wrong. I recommend you re-read the last page of the rulebook. Like I highlighted in bold already (and the rulebook highlights in caps), you only get to do ONE. This is also true of players who don't win and "hang on" (EITHER a minor city OR a coin gets added).

Maybe my reading comprehension is horrible in my old age, but man I feel these instructions haven't been clear. Initial coin set up confused the hell out of me, and I watched a video and did it their way. Turns out we could do it multiple ways.

This is one thing I like about legacy games, if I mess up, as long as I mess up consistently in the same manner I'm ok. I can correct this mistake on multiple ways, but at least I messed up other people's options and not just mine lol.

One last thing in spoilers to be cleAR
    @ArcticLancer

So, since I won, I get to sign the board. The n I have a choice to do one of these

Name a continent the get a bonus
    Found a major city
    Put a +1 -1 marker on a continent
    Fortify a city,
    Tear up a territory card
    Destroy a scar

I get to pick one of those for winning correct?

Yeah man, you've got it~

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    It sounds like Las Vegas would be perfect for your group.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    las vegas and liars dice are excellent excellent suggestions

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Farkle and Greed are two others my extended family has enjoyed.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I see Space Base hit the table every week at meetups. Its not really my thing.

Zombie Dice is a nice quick press your luck style game. Only 13ish bucks for the base game and theres a deluxe set where you can get the expansions as well.

Welcome To Centerville is a longer meatier game with more startegy, Ive only played it once but I would definitely play it again.

King of Tokyo is really great. Havent played the New York version.

Edit: Only played Dice Forge once but really liked that as well. You craft your dice as the game goes. Kind of like a deck builder but you only have two dice at a time but I think you can get stuff on your opponents turn as well.

Edit: Roll Through The Ages is another good press your luck style game with chunky dice. You are playing as a civilization and you can build wonders but you also have to feed your people and watch out for plagues. Havent played it in awhile but liked it.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Machi Koro is fun and very accessible.

“It’s craps. Every turn you get to buy a new bet and hope it pays off later. The first player to lay down all four of these big bets wins.”

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    King of New York is a straight up upgrade to Tokyo.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

Quarriors with expansion!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
      so one of my local shops has a new copy of Space Hulk 4th Edition for MSRP, which seems like a rarity

I know nothing about how it works, but my group has played the card game and really liked it

should we grab it

6F32U1X.png
    • Options
      Wait, they made a 4th edition? I wonder what they changed.

• Options

it is apparently exactly the same as third edition + four new missions

it's more of a reprint

6F32U1X.png
    • Options
      Mr. G wrote: »

it is apparently exactly the same as third edition + four new missions

it's more of a reprint

Neat!

Well owning third edition I can chime in.

It’s neat but it’s not for everyone. It’s essentially “pressure cooker” the boardgame for the marine player. His actions are limited, his turns are limited, his ammo is limited, his movement is limited, his facing is limited, etc. It’s a game where having a single unit in the wrong spot from one movement can get the rest of your marines stuck and bunched up and lose the whole mission.

Oh and the marine player’s turn is timed.

The genestealers on the other hand? Fast and nimble. Instant death in melee. You get more stealers every, single, turn. Your turns are as long as you need them to be. Given enough time you WILL win. Your game is one of forcing the marine player to take that time.

I love it, some of my friends do too, some of them find it too oppressive an experience.

• Options
      Have you played the card game version of it, Death Angel? I'd love to know how it compares to that, because we've played that a lot and love it

6F32U1X.png
    • Options
      Mr. G wrote: »
      Have you played the card game version of it, Death Angel? I'd love to know how it compares to that, because we've played that a lot and love it

I have! It’s a pretty fundamentally different experience and actually a bit apples to oranges.

Space hulk is strictly a 1v1 boardgame while Death Angel is coop. I’d say both involve a similar feeling of holding off against overwhelming odds for the marine player, but the marine player also has to be very, very aggressive in space hulk in order to win. He has to balance aggression with defense on a knives edge via pure positioning . Death Angel on the other hand is much more defensive and oriented around power combos and cooldown management.

I like both but find them hard to compare.

• Options
      WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
      I agree with Inquisitor. The games are completely different. You can play a game of Death Angel in less time than it takes to set up Space Hulk. A friend and I have been playing through the Space Hulk campaign, alternating sides for each mission. And also, alternating who plays marines first. Learning from each others mistakes, and seeing different tactics has helped us both, and it is a bloodthirsty game. I bought 3rd edition for MSRP, and think it is well worth the money.

• Options
      Campy wrote: »
      King of New York is a straight up upgrade to Tokyo.
      Hard disagree with this. Tokyo is fun, quick, silly dice chucking push-your-luck with a great aesthetic. New York is a lukewarm, fiddly dice chucker that adds weird area control in an effort to make a very un-serious game more strategic.
      I get why some people like it, but I will always feel like NY is the niche appeal to Tokyo's smash success.

Per above comments, Space Base seems like a pretty baller update to machi koro, but I haven't personally played it yet.

• Options
      admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
      I love science

• Options
      DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
      edited September 2018
      Space Hulk is basically what if Aliens was a board game.

EDIT: A short video about Space Hulk.

DarkPrimus on
    • Options
      admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
      Space Hulk is ~fine~. It's a super cool package and it does create some really crazy tension, but you'll also have a lot of games where you spend 15 minutes setting up a board and then your gun jams against the first genestealer wave and you lose instantly. It's good at generating stories if that's what you're looking for.

• Options
      FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
      admanb wrote: »
      Space Hulk is ~fine~. It's a super cool package and it does create some really crazy tension, but you'll also have a lot of games where you spend 15 minutes setting up a board and then your gun jams against the first genestealer wave and you lose instantly. It's good at generating stories if that's what you're looking for.

Ironically, this has happened enough times to us that we give the Marines a free Unjam token at start, just so they can get the game going.

• Options
      GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
      I have not won a single Space Hulk game as Space Marines. That's not a mark against the game, but itvis what it is.

• Options
      Can now confirm Space Base is pretty damn good at what it does. Less cute, but better game than Machi Koro for most of us. Better involvement, better engine shenanigans, better (if much more dull) goal.
      I wouldn't buy it, but I think people should try it, as many of you would.

• Options
      CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
      Roll for the Galaxy?

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    • Options
      MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      Saw the demo for the board game table I backed on KS. Looks solid, even though it was the prototype. Feeling more comfortable with the purchase. Hopefully they can deliver...both figuratively and literally.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
      edited September 2018
      Cthulhu Wars is my favourite. Rising Sun probably a close second. Kemet is ... good, but a bit bland. I like Inis a lot, but haven't played it enough to be sure - but it feels like the tightest of all of them.

Lords of Hellas might be one that quickly rises through the ranks, really enjoyed my first play of it, but it's definitely wonkier and looser.

Darric on
    • Options
      CampyCampy Registered User regular
      Roll for the Galaxy?

Been playing this a bit at work on our lunch breaks, probably played like 8 games of it now and thus far I really like it. It nicely nestles in the gameplay space of solitaire tableaux building whilst still requiring you to keep an eye on what your opponents are doing in order to really excel. Gets done in about an hour too, which is really nice!

• Options
      Got a 5p game of Savage Planet: Fate of Fantos lined up for tonight. It's a Kickstarter that just delivered, which is basically a standalone reworking of Vampire The Eternal Struggle with a awesome weirdo fantasy artwork. I'm excited to try it, but honestly it could go either way with this group heh.

• Options
    • Options
      Finally played Root with the Riverfolk and goddamn I love the Riverfolk

I love the dynamic they bring to the board and how even moreso than the Vagabond you just kinda kick back and go "well, let's see what happens and how this works out for the ollllllll' Riverfolk"

might be my favorite faction in the game

6F32U1X.png
    This discussion has been closed.