As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    There's a week-long Kickstarter for a game called Inhuman Conditions, which is a two-player, five-minute game of improv and deduction that's basically "Voight-Kampff the Board Game"

It's from the same folks who did Cards Against Humanity (meh) and Secret Hitler (yay), and as with Secret Hitler, it seems like it's going to have really great production values.

I've been watching the recorded streams of this and it just looks like so much fun. It feels a lot like role-playing with Spy Party. Someone also made a webapp for this which I think is how I'm gonna try to introduce it to my friends, since all each person really needs is their phone plus a timer.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    See, what would be kind of interesting is if they remade it where you played both sides simultaneously. You'd play as a corp and you'd have a hired runner for corporate espionage, and then you'd modify it so cards are dual use and have different effects if played for your corp or on your runner or something so you don't have to play it two handed and bam maybe you have a new, similarish, game.

Shadowfist.

My two sentence pitch is it is like Netrunmer where you are both the corp and the runner. Also, cyborg monkeys with pun names.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Whatever the hell FF are teasing, I think we can all agree the art is absolutely gorgeous.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Whatever the hell FF are teasing, I think we can all agree the art is absolutely gorgeous.

What is going on with the numbering? When I scroll through the FFG twitter account the numbers from most recent to oldest go VI (6) -> V (5) -> IX (9) -> X (10). Am I missing something?

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

What is going on with the numbering? When I scroll through the FFG twitter account the numbers from most recent to oldest go VI (6) -> V (5) -> IX (9) -> X (10). Am I missing something?

Fairly sure they are the numbers for the major arcana from tarot decks.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Yeah, I'd have to actually look it up but I think so far they've all aligned with the themes that way.

Granted, everything I know about the major arcana is from Persona.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Yeah, I'd have to actually look it up but I think so far they've all aligned with the themes that way.

Son,

Let me tell you the tale of an Adventure, a Bizzare one...

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Did I hear some of y'all say that My Little Scythe might actually be kinda better than the full game?

I've been very curious about both, and I could totally see slimming the game down being a benefit to it

6F32U1X.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Did I hear some of y'all say that My Little Scythe might actually be kinda better than the full game?

I've been very curious about both, and I could totally see slimming the game down being a benefit to it

I wish there was a game in the middle. My Little Scythe is a little too slimmed down. If I had to choose, I'd pick Scythe to play.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

Son,

Let me tell you the tale of an Adventure, a Bizzare one...

I don't recall that having characters reflect the themes of the arcana. Been a while.

Also, I played Persona before I ever came across that, so...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

No. By all accounts it goes too far in the stream lining

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I mean it's literally a kids game, I'm not sure it being very simplified is a knock against it

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I mean it's literally a kids game, I'm not sure it being very simplified is a knock against it

Yes but the question was whether it was better than the original. And the answer is, by all accounts, an unambiguous no

Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Yes but the question was whether it was better than the original. And the answer is, by all accounts, an unambiguous no

I think for the target audience it would be way better though, it being a kids game and all.

Yeah I wasn't asking for kids though, I was asking for me, an adult man who has been playing Root nonstop and is about to dig into Inis

6F32U1X.png

oh hellllllll yes

I was worried I'd have to wait until December for Keyforge

6F32U1X.png
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular

No, not by all accounts. Not by my account. Scythe is dandy but I prefer the shorter, simpler version.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    edited October 2018
    JonBob wrote: »

No, not by all accounts. Not by my account. Scythe is dandy but I prefer the shorter, simpler version.

The only middle ground I can think of is the digital edition on Steam, which has gradually gotten better, as long as you go into Options and turn on the Power/Popularity tracks. It plays more quickly.

Speaking of which, Terraforming Mars goes digital on Wednesday. A big booty euro with all the fiddly nonsense digitized? Oh don't mind if I do...

Cantido on

oh hellllllll yes

I was worried I'd have to wait until December for Keyforge

And also, this week's preview is on House Logos.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular

The only middle ground I can think of is the digital edition on Steam, which has gradually gotten better, as long as you go into Options and turn on the Power/Popularity tracks. It plays more quickly.

Speaking of which, Terraforming Mars goes digital on Wednesday. A big booty euro with all the fiddly nonsense digitized? Oh don't mind if I do...
    Definitely never how I would describe Terraforming Mars. :P

You should get deep into digital Through The Ages instead, it's the game Terraformimg Mars wishes it could be ;)

Definitely never how I would describe Terraforming Mars. :P

I go by play length.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    So my 4 year old has been wanting to play "Daddy games" recently so I've been pulling out various game and playing various subsets of the rules (Pandemic is the "find the city matching the card and place a cube on it game").

This has led to me pulling Royal Palace off the shelf. A 2008 game from a first time designer that I have never played, it was reduced to five pounds when I bought it with no info about it.

Reading the rules makes me thinks this could be a bonkers smash hit.

It's tricky to explain but it's a game of buying victory point tokens from a central board representing the Palace grounds by getting your servants to move around the Palace interior to generate gold and influence. But the whole mechanics of moving your servants around is reliant on servants already in the Palace, so you can add servants to the "how many servants you add to the board each turn" space and also the "how many servants you can move each turn" space to allow to place and move more servants.

The Palace interiors is made of of tiles in a 3x3 grids so each game can have a completely different Palace configuration which I would imagine would lead to very different strategies.

Then the victory point tiles you pickup from the board can also give you extra powers, like bonus money every turn, or allow you to move more servants regardless of how many servants you have on the move servants space.

I am intrigued to play it for real.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    The idea from a few pages back of an asymmetrical Netrunner clone with a wizard trying to set up seals and rituals to protect the word while a horrible elder being tries to break through is

deeply excellent

it's so good that I'm mad it doesn't exist

Evil Multifarious on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The idea from a few pages back of an asymmetrical Netrunner clone with a wizard trying to set up seals and rituals to protect the word while a horrible elder being tries to break through is

deeply excellent

My only problem is when the Elder God tries to sneak into our world and the wizard hits him with an explosive trap. Then on the Wizard’s next turn, he fires a rocket into the outer dimension for lethal.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

deeply excellent

My only problem is when the Elder God tries to sneak into our world and the wizard hits him with an explosive trap. Then on the Wizard’s next turn, he fires a rocket into the outer dimension for lethal.

It's the Elder God's own fault for attempting to conform to a reality with Hunter decks.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

deeply excellent

My only problem is when the Elder God tries to sneak into our world and the wizard hits him with an explosive trap a Paralytic Determinism. Then on the Wizard’s next turn, he fires a rocket Contagious Logic into the outer dimension for lethal reality damage.

If I am interested in Pandemic Legacy but unsure if my group would be, should I just get regular Pandemic?

I dunno how easy it would be to “undo” a first game and try it with a different group if my main one doesn’t care for it

6F32U1X.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    And that's why I gave up on Netrunner.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    If I am interested in Pandemic Legacy but unsure if my group would be, should I just get regular Pandemic?

I dunno how easy it would be to “undo” a first game and try it with a different group if my main one doesn’t care for it

You can play any number of non legacy games with Pandemic Legacy before launching the campaign.

If you are new to the series the game even recommends you do just that.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

deeply excellent

Same. So go make it.

Thaaaaaanks

If you won't have a mostly fixed group playing on a recently frequent basis then I wouldn't bother with legacy.

Although I don't really think base Pandemic is that compelling so maybe look at one of the offshoot games?

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

Starting a campaign involves placing stickers, writing down character names, stuff like that which is both part of the basic fun of a Legacy game and not something that is easy to undo and do again with a new group.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

Starting a campaign involves placing stickers, writing down character names, stuff like that which is both part of the basic fun of a Legacy game and not something that is easy to undo and do again with a new group.

Both seasons include a "prologue" playthrough to help figure out the mechanics and the differences from standard Pandemic. No permanent changes are made at that time.

I've found once you get started, everyone will be clawing to keep going if they enjoy it.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Auralynx wrote: »

deeply excellent

It's the Elder God's own fault for attempting to conform to a reality with Hunter decks.

Okay, this shit right here? This is why I'm on board with Keyforge.

Fuck metas.

Somebody with a tablet purchase the app of the original Pandemic and try some pass n' play. It can groom you for Legacy.

Inquisitor wrote: »

You can play any number of non legacy games with Pandemic Legacy before launching the campaign.

If you are new to the series the game even recommends you do just that.

Oh wow i did not know you can just play base Pandemic with a copy of Legacy, I thought it was only good for a legacy game

Is there any difference between the color boxes? I keep seeing listing for (Red) and (Blue) and (Yellow)

6F32U1X.png
    Auralynx wrote: »

deeply excellent

Okay, this shit right here? This is why I'm on board with Keyforge.

Fuck metas.

All games have metas though. "Metagame" is just another word for "strategy" in most cases.

This discussion has been closed.