Options

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    Played a couple f games of Disney's Villainous tonight.

Actually a pretty good fun game! Certainly deeper than its branding might lead you to believe.

A few of the Villains are going to be pretty luck based on where their key cards get hidden in their deck though.

We tried it on Saturday night. It didn't do it for us. I think the lady trying to sell us on it overhyped it too much.

Salelady: "First thing you do is pick your favorite Disney villain."
    Me: "Zurg."
    Saleslady: "No"
    Me: "Randall from Monsters Inc".
    Saleslady: "No, think older"
    Me: "Oogie Boogie?"
    Saleslady: "No"
    Wife: "Ursula?"
    Saleslady: "Yes"
    Me: "Scar?"
    Saleslady: "No. You get to be Jafar."
    :-1:

They seem to be saving lots of the good ones for expansions:

http://www.wonderforge.com/games/disney/villainous/voting.php

1c0dagpqqxjb.jpg

I'd personally love Yzma as long as they could capture the humor/absurdity of the movie into the realm/fate decks and mechanics

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Well, today I learn The Shadow Man has a name.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Well, today I learn The Shadow Man has a name.

You could have asked his friends on the other side. Pretty sure they carved it on his tombstone.

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    The lack of Frollo, Oogie Boogie, and Governor Ratcliffe from that list makes me sad. Like seriously you have Madam Mim don't pretend you forgot Oogie.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'll be teaching a friend Twilight Struggle sometime this week. I'm a skilled novice at it, I know standard strategies and things to watch out for. What kind of handicap should we play with?

I was considering giving him U.S. with +3 influence and I'll play USSR. Most games where I'm teaching a new person end with them committing DEFCON suicide anyways, I don't expect a full game. Any ideas from people who have been in the same situation?

USSR generally opens a lot stronger than the US so I'd probably flip that, but ultimately I don't think a handicap will overcome the initial learning curve of the game and depending on the person it might just make them feel worse about losing. :P I'd probably just play out the first few years and then restart.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I played a lot of games last night at a staff party/going away party for a long time member.

potion explosiob
    I had a weird moment on the first turn cycle where the first two people had taken a marble and gotten an explosion of two marbles and the whole time I was just looking at a row set up to Cascade all the way down. So I had to ask if explosions keep chaining because I couldnt figure out if I was missing something. They said yes then I immediately finished my two starting potions. The game was fun. It had a physical gimmick that actually added to the experience. I narrowly sealed victory with a small combo engine on the last turn to complete two extra potions.

deluxe love letter
    We were just waiting for the rest of our group to finish a big Western legends game (which looked sweet) and filled some time. I never played the big version before and I'm not sure if I liked it. There seemed to be a lot more knowing people's hand with less ability to do anything about it with the big group role cards. Bit I think the base game is amazing and it still felt like we were playing that.

when in dreams
    This was a fine filler. Mostly it was just a platform to turn the person who's turn it was as dreamer into your comedic vehicle and that sleep mask was actively painful. The roles were neat and the memorable parts of game play were times the boogeymen were able to give an adjacent clue that was close enough to make the dreamer guess but a misdirect enough to push them off it. I'm super glad the game ends after one round of everyone as dreamer. It was the perfect length

great Western trail
    By the time one of the players had built a combo engine of objective cards to let them double loot and move their train 5 spaces with a deck that only had the best 5 cows I realized some fundamental judgement errors in my gameplan. Still. This game was awesome. After we got through the fiddly bits- everything has different symbols that are only defined in the rulebook that appears to be organized in no particular order-this game really started to shine. The basic board layout got built out super naturally and the way it adds complexity and abilities was super smooth. There being a default tile that just let's you get an objective card and move your train for free seems maybe too good at first play? This is one I need a second play of now that I know what game we're playing though.

raiders of the north sea
    This is the best Viking themed worker placement game I've played, which seems to be a whole genre. The game play loop is so smooth and quick but ended up very deep and whether you could do a thing as your first action by placing your Viking or if you had to wait for your second remove a viking action had dramatic impact on turns. I was pretty far behind but in the best spot to raid 3 of the fortresses which made for a massive swing and then the narrow points leader started setting moves to hinder my progress while they tried to secure some last minute points to narrowly win out.

concept
    It's concept. Everyone was drunk. No one got my clues no matter how basic I thought I was breaking them down. I was sad.

Another party in the books!

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I love how kingdom death is slowly becoming 'waifus' vs the monsters.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    CesareB wrote: »
    The lack of Frollo, Oogie Boogie, and Governor Ratcliffe from that list makes me sad. Like seriously you have Madam Mim don't pretend you forgot Oogie.

I feel like I've seen my fair share of Disney movies and I don't know which movies any of those three are from

edit: ah, just googled them, first is from a movie I barely remember, I've only seen the second once and when I was very little, and the third I remember just never knew/forgot his name.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

My friend came back from GenCon with a new monster that was basically a hentai tentacle monster. So.. yeah.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I can tell you right now, I didn't even know half of the villains had names.

Cinderella's villain is called Lady Tremaine? I thought it was just "Cruel Stepmother".

Also, Fantasia had a villain?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

My friend came back from GenCon with a new monster that was basically a hentai tentacle monster. So.. yeah.

Body horror was always a primary component in KD:M, so that makes sense.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

That's because the Marvelous Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Madam Mim is way cooler than them, even put together.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I can tell you right now, I didn't even know half of the villains had names.

Cinderella's villain is called Lady Tremaine? I thought it was just "Cruel Stepmother".

They should just refer to Kingdom Hearts for a list of good Disney villains. Where my MCP at?

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I see some discrepancies in the power levels.

"What did you do?"
    "Me? I orchestrated a stasis curse over an entire kingdom, then turned into a dragon to fight a guy on horseback. How about you?"
    "I was mean to my stepdaughter."

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Bursar wrote: »
    I see some discrepancies in the power levels.

"What did you do?"
    "Me? I orchestrated a stasis curse over an entire kingdom, then turned into a dragon to fight a guy on horseback. How about you?"
    "I was mean to my stepdaughter."

"I murdered about a hundred puppies"

I really don't see how they make that any fun mechanically

ObiFett on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

“Becoming”

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

“Becoming”

It started out a little more equal-opportunity than where it has headed since, so far as I can tell. It's a fair statement.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

Body horror was always a primary component in KD:M, so that makes sense.

It used to be pin up models. Now it's just anime girls.

I don't mind, I actually prefer this, I just find it a bit silly

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    KDM was a hard pass for me after looking at the art and models. No amount of mechanics are gonna make me play it. Shame really, I hear it’s pretty unique as a board game Monster Hunter crossover.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    KDM was a hard pass for me after looking at the art and models. No amount of mechanics are gonna make me play it. Shame really, I hear it’s pretty unique as a board game Monster Hunter crossover.

Well, you can piece together miniatures wearing heavy armor and stuff. The downside is that they all tend to look generic compared to the. miniatures that are in dynamic poses

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018

I went to that site and voted when we picked the game up, which I think was day after release?

Anywho. They had basically every option under the sun on it. I assume this is the narrowed down list.

I voted for the Horned King from the Black Cauldron on the first list.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    This thread, plus the Watch it Played, is making me want Villainous. Sadly it is out of stock at my local game store, on backorder. And I have the longest pre-order list at the store...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Dont act like 3rd broom wasnt a fucking dick.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular

• Options
    This thread, plus the Watch it Played, is making me want Villainous. Sadly it is out of stock at my local game store, on backorder. And I have the longest pre-order list at the store...

Check your Target, that's where I picked up mine. My FLGS was also out of it.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Okay, he's scary, but he isn't really doing anything. The dancing alligators were more malicious.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I'd personally love Yzma as long as they could capture the humor/absurdity of the movie into the realm/fate decks and mechanics

Yzma's wincon is gated on running out her Fate deck. All her Fate cards mess her up ridiculously and she has no discard ability, but can play cards off her own Fate deck with certain card combinations, or conditions that largely trigger off of someone else being Fated.

How does that get her there before the rest of the villains? Well, I have no idea. By all accounts it doesn't make sense.

(My problem with Villainous is kind of similar to my problem with Terraforming Mars, in that there are very thematic cards that can combo in interesting ways, but there's only so much you can do to affect the chances you'll draw into one of those combinations. Contrast Sentinels of the Multiverse, where at least you can be glad that someone else did.)

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Going to pick up a game called Galaxy Trucker that I've heard great things about. Have a group of 4 ready to give it a shot in the evening.

Anyone have experience with this game?

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Sure. You'll have a great time, I'm sure, as long as people understand that random bad stuff will happen to you and most of the game is laughing at that misfortune. There are mechanisms in the game for mitigating this by looking at what's coming and planning, but in practice I don't see that happening very much.

The rulebook is written very well, and provides some very basic strategy tips in the form of saying what ship parts you want to prioritize as it describes what to do. Pay attention to this and everything will be (sort of) fine.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Huh, so kids still know Fantasia? Speaks volumes to Disney's corporate brand awareness abilities.

I was just talking with someone how it seems like no kids under 8-10 seem to know about Bugs Bunny (or any Looney Toons) anymore. Anyone else with young kids weigh in? At best they know about the Space Jam movie (starring the actor who played a basketball player, Michael Jordan).

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Huh, so kids still know Fantasia? Speaks volumes to Disney's corporate brand awareness abilities.

I was just talking with someone how it seems like no kids under 8-10 seem to know about Bugs Bunny (or any Looney Toons) anymore. Anyone else with young kids weigh in? At best they know about the Space Jam movie (starring the actor who played a basketball player, Michael Jordan).

My kids are 4 and 7 and have seen almost zero classic Looney Toons stuff at all. Most of it really isn't great for kids, honestly, and there's far too many other options I'd feel better about them watching.

My son does enjoy Pinky and the Brain quite a bit though. He watches some Animaniacs on occasion, but isn't that into it.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    Sure. You'll have a great time, I'm sure, as long as people understand that random bad stuff will happen to you and most of the game is laughing at that misfortune. There are mechanisms in the game for mitigating this by looking at what's coming and planning, but in practice I don't see that happening very much.

The rulebook is written very well, and provides some very basic strategy tips in the form of saying what ship parts you want to prioritize as it describes what to do. Pay attention to this and everything will be (sort of) fine.

One of the jokes is that it says everything is important.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

A joke about this was literally made at my wife's pops concert this weekend. The conductor was introducing a medley called, uh, Bugs Bunny at the Symphony?, and referenced how no one under 30 in the audience would have the slightest clue what it was.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

One of the all-time greats right there.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

A joke about this was literally made at my wife's pops concert this weekend. The conductor was introducing a medley called, uh, Bugs Bunny at the Symphony?, and referenced how no one under 30 in the audience would have the slightest clue what it was.

My parents are in their 80's, and when we were kids their normal conversation involved references to WW2-era radio shows which were utter mysteries to us. Now they might as well be making jokes about Julius Caesar and Cleopatra.

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

I am 38 and have never seen Fantasia. I saw a bunch of Disney movies when I was a kid and I vaguely remember Donald Duck getting into a snowball fight with his nephews. I can't recall a time the classic Disney characters ever made me laugh or smile. Looney Toons was where it was at. I loved the Coyote, Roadrunner, Speedy Gonzalez, Daffy Duck, etc.

My son is 9 and he has never seen a movie with Mickey, Donald, etc. However, Disney does own his childhood. He loved Wreck it Ralph, Toy Story, Big Hero 6, etc. The only older Disney movie he likes is the Nightmare Before Christmas. He has seen Jungle Book, Beauty & the Beast, and a few others and has no interest in them at all. I guess when that was all we had as kids, those were great. Now they aren't even mildly entertaining. Disney movies are so much better now. Except for Brave. Brave sucked. Anyway, he found some really old non-Disney cartoons and fell in love with them. He loves Wacky Racers, Bullwinkle, Scooby Doo, Batman the Animated Series etc. For whatever reason the Looney Toons and Animaniacs stuff doesn't do it for him. He knows who they are, he just doesn't care.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

I am 38 and have never seen Fantasia. I saw a bunch of Disney movies when I was a kid and I vaguely remember Donald Duck getting into a snowball fight with his nephews. I can't recall a time the classic Disney characters ever made me laugh or smile. Looney Toons was where it was at. I loved the Coyote, Roadrunner, Speedy Gonzalez, Daffy Duck, etc.

My son is 9 and he has never seen a movie with Mickey, Donald, etc. However, Disney does own his childhood. He loved Wreck it Ralph, Toy Story, Big Hero 6, etc. The only older Disney movie he likes is the Nightmare Before Christmas. He has seen Jungle Book, Beauty & the Beast, and a few others and has no interest in them at all. I guess when that was all we had as kids, those were great. Now they aren't even mildly entertaining. Disney movies are so much better now. Except for Brave. Brave sucked. Anyway, he found some really old non-Disney cartoons and fell in love with them. He loves Wacky Racers, Bullwinkle, Scooby Doo, Batman the Animated Series etc. For whatever reason the Looney Toons and Animaniacs stuff doesn't do it for him. He knows who they are, he just doesn't care.

Different strokes and all. My kids love classic Disney movies - from the really old stuff all the way through The Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and so on. Their friends seem to as well, even if the 7 year olds are already losing interest in a lot of them in favor of Star Wars and Marvel and similar. I bought Villainous just because both of my kids will at the very least enjoy watching it get played. My oldest might be able to handle playing it, but we'll have to see about that.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Going to pick up a game called Galaxy Trucker that I've heard great things about. Have a group of 4 ready to give it a shot in the evening.

It's great so long as you realize the joy is in the playing and the laughing at everyone's misfortune, rather than in winning. It's a game where it's quite common for one player to get screwed over by chance early in the round (e.g., a large asteroid comes at the one spot they don't have a defense for it and they lose a third of your ship) and then they'll spend the rest of the round getting pummeled by every event while the player to their right gets a lucky break and makes out like a bandit.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »

Different strokes and all. My kids love classic Disney movies - from the really old stuff all the way through The Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and so on. Their friends seem to as well, even if the 7 year olds are already losing interest in a lot of them in favor of Star Wars and Marvel and similar. I bought Villainous just because both of my kids will at the very least enjoy watching it get played. My oldest might be able to handle playing it, but we'll have to see about that.

My 8 year old was able to play it pretty well. In fact, she won as Prince John the other night against her mom (Jafar) and dad (Maleficent).

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

It's a fun game, but it's definitely not a FAIR game. The initial realtime ship building portion can be frustrating for people with Analysis Paralysis or people who like to take their time and mull over decisions, because it's absolutely frantic and chaotic. The main fun is watching your slipshod amateur ships fall apart when they get hit by incoming asteroids.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
This discussion has been closed.