As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Yup, that SU&SD live video did indeed get me straight on to the Champion of the Wild 2nd ed. Kickstarter.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I've never heard of Cave Evil, and while that video is silly it doesn't come close to toppling the king of silly board game videos the 90s DragonStrike Boardgame. Which was also like Heroquest I guess? My copy vanished mysteriously. I don't think I ever played it.

This video is hilariously bad if you can stomach watching it that far. The bad acting, dialogue, and special effects are great with how seriously the narrator is taking it.

"UH Is this like a video game?"

"sort of... but it uses the most powerful information processor in the world... YOUR BRAIN!"

I owned this and I am unwilling to admit how many times I watched it as a youth.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    That was actually one of the less weird Cave Evil videos. One was some wordless 15 minute long b&w thing of giant skull monsters wandering around a cave. The monsters were dudes covered in black trash bags with a cattle skull poking out the top for a head.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I had a copy of cave evil one point. The whole thing seemed like a delivery mechanism for the aesthetic first and a game second. Only got it played a few times and it wasn't great. But I don't generally like that style of game so maybe if Black metal wiz war that takes a million hours to play sounds good to you maybe you'd like it? It's definitely an insane labor of love from the guys that made it. I certainly wish I still had my copy, as it sells for absolutely ridiculous $$$ used these days.

I should say that I love the aesthetic and really really wanted to love the game.

Edit: this is the one mrbody was taking about and it is still fucking awesome

https://youtu.be/V5cMKlpOTD8

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Hey, folks - thinking of swinging by Ikea today to pick up some better shelves for my (large and growing) game collection.

What's the recommended shelving system from them to accommodate things like Gloomhaven, Massive Darkness, X-Wing, 7 Wonders: Duel, etc. (e.g. a variety of box sizes from large to small)?
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    MrBody wrote: »
    What if...

...someone gave the My Little Scythe treatment to Kingdom Death?

I'd be much more interested.

I enjoy the concept, but not the content.
    I'm sure there's a game out there that does similar things, but I don't know of it.

I would definitely buy my little kimgdom pony.
    The art direction is just not something I am into.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    What if...

soo.... instead of wasting tens of hours on a totally random and pointless game in order to see some fine goth titties you merely waste several hours on a random and pointless game?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Hey, I'm pretty sure that Kingdom Death has a points system somewhere in it.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    What if...

soo.... instead of wasting tens of hours on a totally random and pointless game in order to see some fine goth titties you merely waste several hours on a random and pointless game?

I'm not sure how you're playing Kingdom Death that the endgame reward is looking at goth titties but I think you might not be playing Kingdom Death.

admanb on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Pony goth tittys.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Realistic goth pony vaginas.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Realistic goth pony vaginas.

The name of my cutie death metal band.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    The dragon strike video is so great

I saw it for the first time last year

sig.gif
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Also, unrelated, I really want to back this game 1001 Odysseys on Kickstarter. The art is awesome, I like CYOA style story stuff, and i want to support a rad looking game by female game designers/artists. It's pricey though... Hmm tempting.

I'm in. Probably my only KS project this year (barring some quick inexpensive things down the road), and I fully expect it to sit in its box for years until my daughter is old enough to give it a shot but hey stranger things have made it to my gaming table.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I've enjoyed 7 Wonders with the Cities, Leaders, and Wonder Pack expansions, including the Anniversary Packs. The Babel expansion didn't really call to me. I'm planning to get Armada as soon as it's available nearby.

The biggest hurdle to 7 Wonders is all the iconography, especially if you're all new to the game.

CITIES
    Our group loves Cities. It expands the game without really forcing any changes to the main game flow, so that's nice. Plus they like being able to kick other players in the knee even if their civs aren't adjacent, so they consider that point a plus.

LEADERS
    Our group also likes Leaders, but it can really get very swingy depending on the Leaders dealt to you. You get all four of your Leader cards at the start, so your whole gameplan will be influenced by those. And sometimes, the cards dealt to you just won't mesh with your plan. It's an additional wrinkle to the game - adjusting not only to the cards per round, but also in relation to your Wonder and your Leaders. Do you get specialized Leaders at the start, or just go for general purpose Leaders?

WONDER PACKS
    The Wonder Packs just include four more boards with interesting complications.

- The Great Wall of China gives you freedom to pick which Wonder stage to activate.
    - Mannekin Pis relies on its neighbors for its Wonders' effects.
    - Abu Simbel forces you to get Leaders that you can kill later.
    - Stonehenge SUCKS without house rules. Seriously. This is a good challenge for players who think they've been winning a lot in 7 Wonders.

I think 3/4 ain't bad.

ANNIVERSARY PACKS
    I think you should only get the Anniv Packs once you're very familiar with the corresponding expansions. But they do inject new blood to the game. The cards aren't unbalanced, IMHO. Plus they're really pretty! They did something to the card to make some form of gloss on parts of the art or something.

Honestly, though, I've played a lot of this game and I still can't gauge whether someone would love/hate the expansions. But my group doesn't play without Leaders + Cities + Wonder Packs now.

7 Wonders is a staple of our game table, and Leaders is the one we play with most often. I think the Anniversary Pack for Leaders actually expands upon and improves the expansion further; the leaders included have more interesting and engaging powers (as you'd hope after 7 years of game design progression) and with it they managed to rebalance the game so some of the less-powerful strategies became competitive, broadening the paths to victory and freshening the entire game up. It's also nicely feminist as they managed to fill the Anniversary Pack with nothing but women, whose historical contributions are so often badly overlooked. The 7 Wonders Leaders Anniversary Pack is probably the best value-for-money expansion in my entire collection.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Is BGG the place to sell used games? I've got a closet full of some that haven't seen the table in maybe a decade.

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Is BGG the place to sell used games? I've got a closet full of some that haven't seen the table in maybe a decade.

BGG auction are ok. For most not “new hotness” or out of print games the problem is that the discounted price and shipping costs means you’re about breaking even.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Depending on where you live, see if there's a local facebook group for buy/sell/trade stuff. That's where the vast majority of traffic I see is.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »

BGG auction are ok. For most not “new hotness” or out of print games the problem is that the discounted price and shipping costs means you’re about breaking even.

You can also just list for sale. I did that with a bunch of my dad's old stuff, made a fair bit of money. But it was old and out of print as mentioned.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Thanks to the cold canceling school, I picked up Evolution for some family play with the oldest.

I dunno, it is interesting. As always, enjoyment of any game is hindered because we only ever have 2-3 players.
    The first few rounds of the game were dull since food was plentiful. Then we each had like three species and my god the knives came out.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Played Catan Seafarers last night.
    Hilariously, my dad got so frustrated with the dice rolls that he actually said he thinks the included dice are weighted terribly.

It was like a sweet song in my ear. I got out my PAXU milled aluminum d6 and we used that the rest of the game.

I never did get to try out some various homebrew methods of resource generation, but I do love the four islands map. It's big enough to not trap an unlucky player too quickly/easily, but still small enough to fight over. Anyone have another map they prefer?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Thanks to the cold canceling school, I picked up Evolution for some family play with the oldest.

I dunno, it is interesting. As always, enjoyment of any game is hindered because we only ever have 2-3 players.
    The first few rounds of the game were dull since food was plentiful. Then we each had like three species and my god the knives came out.

There's a simplified kids version of it called Evolution:The Beginning, and even in that one it turns into a vicious, vicious game.

• Options
    Depending on where you live, see if there's a local facebook group for buy/sell/trade stuff. That's where the vast majority of traffic I see is.

Yeah local trade/sell groups are great. That and local cons with flea markets are the way to go in my experience.

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular

Yeah local trade/sell groups are great. That and local cons with flea markets are the way to go in my experience.

I had a lot of luck with a math trade at a con, though the effort is kind of high.

• Options

Neat a new presumably prettier version of Castles of Burgundy is coming

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular

Neat a new presumably prettier version of Castles of Burgundy is coming

A Castles of Burgundy with an art upgrade and something more satisfying to play with than hexagonal chits would be pretty cool.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Supposedly the new Castles of Burgundy will include the 10 existing expansions. No news yet about whether there's any different art or components, though (beyond the box art of course).

• Options
    If it's got all the expansions and looks nice that's gonna be pretty tempting . The expansions is the make or break though. I've got a lot of stuff added into CoB.

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    I'd imagine a few companies are looking at the Suburbia Kickstarter right now and getting ideas.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Docshifty wrote: »

There's a simplified kids version of it called Evolution:The Beginning, and even in that one it turns into a vicious, vicious game.

A guy at Unplugged was nice enough to demo it for me and my Sentinels buddies and whip our asses up and down the convention center politely educate us on the virtues of having a large carnivore before anyone else.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    psyck0 wrote: »
    I'd imagine a few companies are looking at the Suburbia Kickstarter right now and getting ideas.
    Elaborate. As someone who has been there since day 1 and spending too much time in the comments, I'm curious what specifically you're talking about with this one?

[Edit]
    Hmmm, okay, I just saw the update where they explained the random distribution of 5th player colour + city tile. I'm GUESSING that's what you're talking about.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    I am replying to the shiny version of castles of burgundy. Suburbia is making approximately all the money's and others will want some of that.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ah. That's not new then. Snowdonia did the same thing last year.

• Options
    BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I had a copy of cave evil one point. The whole thing seemed like a delivery mechanism for the aesthetic first and a game second. Only got it played a few times and it wasn't great. But I don't generally like that style of game so maybe if Black metal wiz war that takes a million hours to play sounds good to you maybe you'd like it? It's definitely an insane labor of love from the guys that made it. I certainly wish I still had my copy, as it sells for absolutely ridiculous $$$ used these days.

I should say that I love the aesthetic and really really wanted to love the game.

Edit: this is the one mrbody was taking about and it is still fucking awesome

https://youtu.be/V5cMKlpOTD8

You're actually the reason I bought my copy. You talked it up a bit when you first got it, so I grabbed a copy before they stopped selling them.

It met the same fate as your copy.

Since I'm posting.... Tomorrow my group has a game day set up. I don't know what we're playing in the morning, but the afternoon may be a six player game of Dominant Species. I played it once with three, and that game was mean. I'm excited!

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    What if...

That game is called Fire Emblem.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    There is a fire emblem board game?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Our Pandemic Legacy S2 campaign is starting to wrap (and ramp) up.
    Spoilers for up to November!
    When November began, we had only one Red city on the grid (Jakarta), so the reveal of The Plan was an intense shock. The requirement of 5 red cards when we only had 3 available (Jakarta and two other cities we'd upgraded to wild) was going to be a problem.

For Game 1 of November, we settled on the strategy that we'd probably lose this one, but we'd try to set up the game state for a win in the second half of the month. Our doughty sea captain, Admiral Crunch, was dispatched with the sole intention of adding sea lanes to connect as many Red cities to the grid as we could, while the rest of the team would set up radio towers throughout the globe in order to send cards to assist in the other recon requirements for The Plan.

We managed to connect every red city to the grid, knocked out all three of the other card recon requirements, and discovered the lost city of Wellington. The newly recovered Haven of Mything Perthens off the coast of Australia is a foothold for our upcoming Asiatic adventures. Team Radio was able to herd most of the Hollow Men to areas under the protection of Shelters or Bases, minimizing their end-of-game damage.
    So, while we technically "lost" Game 1 because the plague overran the world, we still consider it a moral victory due to how successful we were in connecting cities and adding cards to the decks.

In Game 2, we had 3 red (or red-equivalent) cards dealt out before the game even began, so we picked our character who required fewer cards to recon (one less due to a job trait, and another less in exchange for two cubes as an upgrade) and made plans to bum-rush Shanghai, hoping for a third card to appear quickly so it could be Radioed over. However, two Epidemics showed up before a third red card came in, and Hollow Men quickly started to overrun key areas in Europe. We did complete The Plan, though, and look forward to December with horror.

At the end of November, our world is kind of a mess. Antananarivo, New Delhi, and Bogota remain unconnected, which, considering what's happened to the rest of the world, might be in their best interests. The west coast of North America is a wasteland, as we've essentially given up on San Fran, LA, and Mexico City (they're all at 0). The strongest cities in the world are those that we've established permanent bases on: Denver, London, Buenos Aires, and Lagos. We have one of the 10+ cube bonuses available, so we're going to hit December hard and fast and hopefully knock those Utopia jerks off the map.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    Our Pandemic Legacy S2 campaign is starting to wrap (and ramp) up.
    Spoilers for up to November!
    When November began, we had only one Red city on the grid (Jakarta), so the reveal of The Plan was an intense shock. The requirement of 5 red cards when we only had 3 available (Jakarta and two other cities we'd upgraded to wild) was going to be a problem.

For Game 1 of November, we settled on the strategy that we'd probably lose this one, but we'd try to set up the game state for a win in the second half of the month. Our doughty sea captain, Admiral Crunch, was dispatched with the sole intention of adding sea lanes to connect as many Red cities to the grid as we could, while the rest of the team would set up radio towers throughout the globe in order to send cards to assist in the other recon requirements for The Plan.

We managed to connect every red city to the grid, knocked out all three of the other card recon requirements, and discovered the lost city of Wellington. The newly recovered Haven of Mything Perthens off the coast of Australia is a foothold for our upcoming Asiatic adventures. Team Radio was able to herd most of the Hollow Men to areas under the protection of Shelters or Bases, minimizing their end-of-game damage.
    So, while we technically "lost" Game 1 because the plague overran the world, we still consider it a moral victory due to how successful we were in connecting cities and adding cards to the decks.

In Game 2, we had 3 red (or red-equivalent) cards dealt out before the game even began, so we picked our character who required fewer cards to recon (one less due to a job trait, and another less in exchange for two cubes as an upgrade) and made plans to bum-rush Shanghai, hoping for a third card to appear quickly so it could be Radioed over. However, two Epidemics showed up before a third red card came in, and Hollow Men quickly started to overrun key areas in Europe. We did complete The Plan, though, and look forward to December with horror.

At the end of November, our world is kind of a mess. Antananarivo, New Delhi, and Bogota remain unconnected, which, considering what's happened to the rest of the world, might be in their best interests. The west coast of North America is a wasteland, as we've essentially given up on San Fran, LA, and Mexico City (they're all at 0). The strongest cities in the world are those that we've established permanent bases on: Denver, London, Buenos Aires, and Lagos. We have one of the 10+ cube bonuses available, so we're going to hit December hard and fast and hopefully knock those Utopia jerks off the map.

Dj-V-cTUcAAVqlj.jpg

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    So in Treasure Island, does anyone else think it's crucial for Long John Silver to reply to every search with "Yarr" or "Narr" in the thickest possible pirate accent

Because it is

• Options
    BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Curse you, child rearing! My plans have been dashed by my daughter getting the stomach flu. Working in a hospital, it's second nature using proper hand hygiene, but kids spread their germs like fucking napalm. I am doomed.

Also, I forgot I kickstarted Agents of Mayhem, so I finally went in and upped it to get the oversized tiles, the terrain upgrade, and the pg-13 substitute cards. My kid always asks if there are girls in the games I bring out, and this has several. Also, it's probably never to early to teach your child about small squad tactics.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I was really wavering on the Agents of Mayhem game, but eventually decided against it. I already have two Kickstarted games I'm waiting on, and a big explodey game about cartoony violence seems counter to the sort of planning-heavy games my group favors.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
This discussion has been closed.