As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I hope Keyforge has no equivalence to Blue/Jace because fuck that shit.
    There are no cards that you play on your opponents turn. Richard Garfield has said that he wanted it streamlined in case FFG wanted to add online support.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Got the rest of my Dark Souls pledge today. Those models sure are gonna look cool sitting on my shelves!

Not gonna lie, I sometimes look at the darkroot expansion we have in stock and try to decide if Sif and artorious decorations are worth it

I like the Dark Souls aesthetic a whole lot and that's the only reason I'm not upset about this terrible Kickstarter.

The Darkroot expansion, Four Kings, and Kalameet all arrived for me today.

No shit...wonder if mine are actually on the way..

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    There are no cards that you play on your opponents turn. Richard Garfield has said that he wanted it streamlined in case FFG wanted to add online support.

That seems odd. The mechanic is working out okay for MtG and Eternal in the technical sense. The only limitation by having Instants/Fast Spells in an online adaptation is that the time delay provided when the player decides to use one spoils whether or not a player has one in the first place.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular

That seems odd. The mechanic is working out okay for MtG and Eternal in the technical sense. The only limitation by having Instants/Fast Spells in an online adaptation is that the time delay provided when the player decides to use one spoils whether or not a player has one in the first place.

From any standpoint, a game that features no "instant"-speed cards or reactions is much easier to program and maintain than a game that does.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Online games with instants require confirmation after every single card is played, which makes async play way more unwieldy

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

Man, so aside from the silly distribution model it is also just going to be a boringly simplistic game?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »

Man, so aside from the silly distribution model it is also just going to be a boringly simplistic game?

Yeah if it doesn't sound appealing don't buy it. I will buy it, because it appeals to me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular

It works ok, but the number of times I have to click when I have an instant-speed reaction in hand and the opponent is resolving a summon with multiple targeted effects is crazy. On top of that, most of the enemy's-turn actions you take in Magic are things that a lot of people hate about Magic- counterspells in particular. I don't think it's a bad decision at all to limit a new game that you're planning a digital implementation of to actions on your turn only.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Lykouragh wrote: »

It works ok, but the number of times I have to click when I have an instant-speed reaction in hand and the opponent is resolving a summon with multiple targeted effects is crazy. On top of that, most of the enemy's-turn actions you take in Magic are things that a lot of people hate about Magic- counterspells in particular. I don't think it's a bad decision at all to limit a new game that you're planning a digital implementation of to actions on your turn only.

That sounds like a horrible idea. Either design a physical game or a digital game. Trying to keep to the limitations of both just means you end up with the worst of both worlds.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

That sounds like a horrible idea. Either design a physical game or a digital game. Trying to keep to the limitations of both just means you end up with the worst of both worlds.

Nonsense! Lots of games play fine physically and electronically

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2018

People taking forever to take turns and fling their instants when they're not exactly tournament-grade players says more about the unsporting conduct of the player rather than the game. It sucks but I'm willing to live with it for the more complex game. I just don't like Fuck Your Cards/Deck mechanics from MtG and Eternal.

Eternal goes the extra Jace mile with garbage cards like Rain of Frogs, and Hush that say "choose a card and delete it from your opponent's deck and discard pile". It also sets up an environment where cards like this are necessary. It has creeped its way into four out of five deck "colors".

Cantido on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

People taking forever to take turns and fling their instants when they're not exactly tournament-grade players says more about the unsporting conduct of the player rather than the game. It sucks but I'm willing to live with it. I just don't like Fuck Your Deck mechanics from MtG and Eternal.

Yeah I'm fine with instants or no instants, I'm probably not interested in keyforge but I never get to play two player games anyway

sig.gif
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

People taking forever to take turns and fling their instants when they're not exactly tournament-grade players says more about the unsporting conduct of the player rather than the game. It sucks but I'm willing to live with it. I just don't like Fuck Your Deck mechanics from MtG and Eternal.

Eternal goes the extra Jace mile with garbage cards like Rain of Frogs, and Hush that say "choose a card and delete it from your opponent's deck and discard pile". It also sets up an environment where cards like this are necessary.

I love how deep Eternal has gone into "What can we do if the cards are just data?" of game design, but boy do I hate some of the directions they've chosen to go with it.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    "choose a card and delete it from your opponent's deck and discard pile".

That effect has existed in MTG in one form or another since 2005ish (for naming any card) or IIRC 2000ish (for "kill that card and everything in your deck with the same name").

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

That effect has existed in MTG in one form or another since 2005ish (for naming any card) or IIRC 2000ish (for "kill that card and everything in your deck with the same name").

Also they're extremely bad except for a couple very specific situations.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Also they're extremely bad except for a couple very specific situations.

Yeah, they're more prominent in Eternal and growing in share of stuff you'll see played last I checked, which is the issue. Not that it's a thing you can do.

• Options

I think you're over-generalizing here. While I agree that designing for one or the other will probably yield a stronger game of that type, you don't naturally inherit every weakness of each medium. It also doesn't necessarily have a direct impact on every decision - indeed, I'm sure many parts of Keyforge would have gone ahead as-they-are whether it was exclusively physical or digital in execution. Limitations often influence creative breakthroughs as well (Like, frig, look at what Chaotic tried to be and tell me with a straight face it wasn't an interesting attempt).

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Back in the world of euros, I played my first game of Vinhos, surrounded by people playing Warhammer and Armada. With the store newly starting a general board game night, my morale is back up with the gaming scene in Texas.

And the game left me refreshed and satisfied, unlike Power Grid two weeks ago, which utterly destroyed me. I'll sell it if anyone wants it...

In Vinhos I mistakenly fixated on maturing barrels for giant exports, when that's not how turning in barrels for points works. Too many spots got clogged up and I was left with things I couldn't export. I scrambled for other point sources, especially bonus tiles, and only lost by approximately ten points.

Cantido on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    @admanb and anyone else who plays COIN games.

So it's COIN reprint time at GMT, and there is still a chance to snag some of the games at a discount.

I own Liberty or Death, but I was thinking of getting another COIN title. Liberty or Death is great but it also seems like one of the tougher COIN titles in many ways.

What would you say is the best COIN title for onboarding folks? That's been my main struggle. Cuba Libre with it's very small size seems possible. But sometimes small just means super cutthroat and unfogiving. I wonder if Andean Abyss being the first is also the simplest?

Thoughts?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

So it's COIN reprint time at GMT, and there is still a chance to snag some of the games at a discount.

I own Liberty or Death, but I was thinking of getting another COIN title. Liberty or Death is great but it also seems like one of the tougher COIN titles in many ways.

What would you say is the best COIN title for onboarding folks? That's been my main struggle. Cuba Libre with it's very small size seems possible. But sometimes small just means super cutthroat and unfogiving. I wonder if Andean Abyss being the first is also the simplest?

Thoughts?

It's a pretty boring answer but... I'm pretty sure it's Cuba Libre. Andean Abyss is a fine choice as well as it's also a true 1v1v1v1, as opposed to something like FitL or the aforementioned LoD which are fuzzier, but Cuba Libre is that but on a much smaller scale. Yeah it's cutthroat and unforgiving but that's honestly true of all COIN.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    So I assume it’s something more RPG-related, but FFG’s been making these cryptic tarot-themed tweets lately.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Everway rerelease confirmed.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I wonder if FFG has any access to the Unknown Armies license?

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Wow that is a deep cut. Nice!

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Thoughts?

I already agree with admanb on this, but last time we talked about COIN stuff I posted a link to a pretty elaborate Geeklist where people discussed them all, how beginner friendly or not each title was and other things. Cuba Libre will be the answer there too, but you might want to look it over regardless.
    (The only other thing I remember was that FitL was still the most complex one)

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3efv2HkjDI&t=436s

Not only is this game gorgeous, it sounds like it gets rid of the original's Terra Mystica-l suffucation.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    But it has a vastly inferior geography, so it's a tough call

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular

Not only is this game gorgeous, it sounds like it gets rid of the original's Terra Mystica-l suffucation.

I had this in my hands yesterday but decided on the safer bet of Roll for the Galaxy. But wow considering what's in the Brass box, the price is aggressively reasonable. I'll probably pick it up at some point, but I don't know if I could find anyone willing to play it to be honest.

• Options
    Oh yeah - Finally put my copy of Ethnos to the table last night.
    4 players felt good; I imagine 5 players would be good and slightly more tense, but 6 might be a bit much forcing rounds to end sooner than anybody wants, and 2 or 3 is like ... why bother?
    Considering how much of a lateral step it is from Ticket to Ride, it's a far more interesting and enjoyable game. The particulars of your set collection being tribes (critter type) or kingdoms (colour) combined with an actual hand cap (10 cards and you HAVE to play something) creates an interesting balance and choice of whether you care more about the ability of the cards you play or the location you play them to. Not to mention dumping your hand when you play cards creates further interesting scrambles, and making you not want to build TOO big a hand since you're just going to give everyone else more choices to pick from. Since you fight over shared spaces and a more restricted card pool there's a bit more enjoyable player consideration than in TTR too. It's really good!
    I do think that the random board setup and deck creation are pretty big parts to the game working out, and - much like another game I've enjoyed a lot with similar "mash it up" deck creation (Elysium) - the game kinda begs for an expansion so you get a few more combinations to mess around with.

At any rate, good gateway game, but also unquestionably something there for people who are more seasoned to dig into. It's due for a reprint ... sometime ... so maybe keep any eye open for it if it sounds up your alley or you're looking for another game for a group that really, really loves Ticket to Ride. ;P

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular

I've played it and I wasn't as impressed as SU&SD- I agree that it's a slightly better version of Brass, that's just not enough to knock my socks off.

If you already loved Brass I'm sure this game is for you.

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »
    I wonder if FFG has any access to the Unknown Armies license?

Don't think so, Atlas have it locked up tight.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options

Wow that is a deep cut. Nice!

Thanks, I will here with obscure 90s RPG references all night.

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular

I've played it and I wasn't as impressed as SU&SD- I agree that it's a slightly better version of Brass, that's just not enough to knock my socks off.

If you already loved Brass I'm sure this game is for you.

I haven't ever played original brass and Birmingham is a fantastic game and I love it. Played it 5 times in the first 3 weeks. So. Good.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular

Wow the price is right on this game. That's a ton of stuff for the money.
    Exactly how hard is the game to teach and how complicated is it?
    Is it worse to teach then Arkham Horror?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »

I only play the mobile app of the original and it kicks my ass. I assume its ghastly to teach.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »

I only play the mobile app of the original and it kicks my ass. I assume its ghastly to teach.

The rules themselves are not hard. It's tricky that there are a couple of little things to remember (Industry type cards can only be built next to or on spots you have existing transport or industry, while Location cards don't have that restriction, but you still have to trace needed coal supplies back to a port or city (but not with iron), unless it's your first industry placement then Industry type cards can build anywhere, or you can spend both actions and 2 cards to place anywhere).

What's very, very difficult is figuring out effective winning strategies. They are incredibly not obvious.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Opinions on Witness?

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Opinions on Witness?

I remember really liking it. I picked it up pretty recently but haven't played it since. It's cute, but strictly 4p which is ... quite specific. I'm pretty sure SUSD have a review.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Witness seems really really good and perfect for my group

So of course it’s out of print

6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.