As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Okay, correction:

Amazon does not have the 42nd edition of Cosmic Encounter. Their picture depicts the latest edition, and I ordered it, but the old edition arrived in my mailbox. Buyer beware.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Amazon also currently has Pandemic Legacy S2 for 35 bucks, which makes me very skeptical

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Amazon also currently has Pandemic Legacy S2 for 35 bucks, which makes me very skeptical

Pandemic Legacy has a lot of counterfeit copies out there, and I'm not sure that even ordering from an Amazon-backed seller guarantees you'll get a genuine copy.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    You should be able to file a dispute for both of those with amazon I think?

• Options
    Woof, the digital version of Scythe is real bad, huh?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Its gotten better. It now has sound effects, icons on the bottom right to look at opponent player boards, visual representation of opponent actions on their own boards, and if you go into Options you can turn on the Power and Popularity tracks.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »

Its gotten better. It now has sound effects, icons on the bottom right to look at opponent player boards, visual representation of opponent actions on their own boards, and if you go into Options you can turn on the Power and Popularity tracks.

It still seems like one might be better off just buying the Tabletop Simulator version though

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

It still seems like one might be better off just buying the Tabletop Simulator version though

I hate TS with a passion. I'll welcome any dedicated app for a euro so I'm not trying to click drag something in three dimensions, twist a camera around and all that other fiddly nonsense.

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    I got to demo Keyforge at SHUX and it was great. Wild board state swings, fun decisions every round, drawing was always fun because I had no idea what was in there, who knows if the decks were balanced or not because that's basically not the point of the game I'm beginning to understand.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Keyforge is having its pre-realease on November 10th at select stores. You can get a lanyard and a pin of your favorite house (while supplies last)

Then the official street date with be Nov 15th.
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    I got to demo Keyforge at SHUX and it was great. Wild board state swings, fun decisions every round, drawing was always fun because I had no idea what was in there, who knows if the decks were balanced or not because that's basically not the point of the game I'm beginning to understand.
    Yeah the tempo is completely different as well. Its not just Magic without deckbuilding, its a game where you can build up your resources and play 5 cards out for a huge swing. The 3 house system is really neat.

• Options
    Glad more people are seeing the light that Keyforge has a lot more going on than just its gimmick, it’s a really fun game in its own right

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Liquidating my boardgaming collection is proving surprisingly lucrative. That’s the pros of having redundancy in a collection I guess.

And now all this shelf space to fill with things!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Liquidating my boardgaming collection is proving surprisingly lucrative. That’s the pros of having redundancy in a collection I guess.

Like more boardgames!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I'm working on a huge post as a follow-up to my previous huge post about revamping my collection but I got to this game and decided it needed its own post. A game I would be surprised if anyone else has played...

Pax Renaissance:

I didn't just buy this one, I hunted it. With nothing but $90+shipping copies on BGG I found a local that insisted they wanted to trade it instead of sell, asked what they wanted to trade it for (it was Root) then offered to pay the cost of Root+shipping for it. They saw reason and made the sale. I would've considered trading my copy of Root for it and buying a new one if I had to.

This game is SO WEIRD. Playing for control of the board when none of the pieces on the board are actually under your control is strange enough before you get to the victory conditions. Oh the victory conditions. Figuring out how to win a religious victory is a game all on its own. One game was won by a player buying and playing a card that dropped a Catholic Bishop in the west and plopping it on top of my Catholic Bishop so they killed each other and Islam ruled supreme, which allowed them to declare a religious victory.

But once you figure it out it plays so well. Every play has impact and the cards are full of flavor and history. Every game you finish tells a story -- and it's not usually one you look good in. It also plays really quickly. I've now played three 1v1s with my partner and even the most back-and-forth one was under an hour (a game in which her feudal empire stretched across half the world when she declared victory). The variety in the deck means that no two games will be exactly the same, though I already wish I had the expansion (also $70+ on BGG) to add even more WTF. I really want to give this a try with more than two because while it's a perfect two-player game I feel like it would be a completely different experience with four.

Playing this has made me even more happy I Kickstarted Pax Pamir, because that style of game + Cole Wehrle gets me hype.

admanb on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Like more boardgames!

Newer, better, SHINIER BOARDGAMES

Muahahahahahahaa

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    A Kickstarter for an expansion to Spirit Island went up today, it seems.

Knew they'd reach into my pocket again some time soon.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    How do I git gud at Spirit Island?

I've only played with two characters (river and lightning,) have never not blighted, and I have never won.

Cantido on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    How do I git gud at Spirit Island?

I've only played with two characters (river and lightning,) have never not blighted, and I have never won.

Take it slow and understand that the early game is about trying not to let things get much worse and maybe establish a safe place to work out from once you've got a bunch of discs off your board, for one. For two, really do take the time to compare notes with the other players about how to approach turns. For three, read your board oh my god, because the number of people who miss their spirit's individual rules is amazing.

Later, start worrying about element production, and don't be intimidated by the moderate-difficulty spirits. A Spread of Rampant Green is amazing and not really that much harder than the starter spirits, and Thunderspeaker's pretty good too.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh hey, Burger Tokens has their KeyForge token set available.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I have to say, Fanatasy Flight's random survival adventure in a box thing is quite tempting.

The randomness may add nothing to it on an individual level, but 7th Continent on a smaller scale with FF polish is an appealing prospect. It all depends on how robust a single box is I suppose. And whether their random generation turns out fun adventures or just a very generic time.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I just finished off my student loans so I decided to splurge on Brass Birmingham and Rajas of the Ganges.

Cantido on
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Gratz @Cantido !

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I have to say, Fanatasy Flight's random survival adventure in a box thing is quite tempting.

The randomness may add nothing to it on an individual level, but 7th Continent on a smaller scale with FF polish is an appealing prospect. It all depends on how robust a single box is I suppose. And whether their random generation turns out fun adventures or just a very generic time.

Even being the guy that's out there being excited about Keyforge, I'm deeply skeptical about this one. It seems hard to believe that the procedural generation of box contents won't hurt the narrative or gameplay flow, and I just don't see what the upside of procedural generation for your coop exploration game is.

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    Terraforming Mars is out on Steam now for $24.99!

No more giant fiddly tableau!

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular

Reviews are mostly negative right now. While I haven't played it, it looks like Asmodee fucked up another digital release right on the heels of Scythe.

From the reviews:

- No undo button again (WHY is this not the very first step???)
    - No way to see who's playing what corp
    - For no reason at all, the colored cubes to mark hex ownership has been replaced by a harder to see colored border. WHY???
    - Can't look at other players' cards in the middle of an action.
    - AI is extremely stupid (obsessed with placing greeneries in spots that set you up for high scoring cities, continue to place greeneries around your cities, paying for long term cards like "1 VP per 4 bacteria" on the very last turn)

• Options
    MrBody wrote: »

Reviews are mostly negative right now. While I haven't played it, it looks like Asmodee fucked up another digital release right on the heels of Scythe.

From the reviews:

- For no reason at all, the colored cubes to mark hex ownership has been replaced by a harder to see colored border. WHY???
    - AI is extremely stupid (obsessed with placing greeneries in spots that set you up for high scoring cities, continue to place greeneries around your cities, paying for long term cards like "1 VP per 4 bacteria" on the very last turn)

Also "DRAFT PLZ"

I don't mind waiting a month or two while they fix this stuff.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    So Volfyirion is out on Kickstarter.
    A card game that plays like star realms but with a difference and is set in a more fantasy universe. The card game is 9 USD. You can also opt in on a big ass mini dragon for 25 total.
    The fun thing is that the dragon can also be usednin their earlier not out yet Kickstarter Mysthea.
    I really like the art in this game. It also had a totally separate Kickstarter for an artbook.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Okay this is just the first third or so of this post because its gotten way too big to drop all at once.

I have a follow-up to this massive post about revamping my collection!

First of all, sales have gone quite well. The only games from that list I'm still trying to move are Caylus (pretty sure I have a buyer) Arctic Scavengers (I might be stuck with this one) and Catacombs (I think it's the price tag that makes this rough.) I've added Dungeon Lords to my inventory, which I like but if I'm going to teach and play a weird-and-heavy worker placement game it's almost always going to be Dungeon Petz over Lords. I also added Caverna, which I also like but I'd rather play A Feast For Odin. I haven't sold either yet.

Okay, now for the INs:

Liberty or Death/Cuba Libre: I love these and I've gotten good play out of Liberty or Death, including a pair of PbP and a 1v1 against my partner (I think it shines in 1v1). The group I tried to introduce this to did not take well to it, so despite the fact that I think Cuba Libre will sit with them better I'm delaying the introduction.

Root: on the other hand, everyone loves Root. There are completely valid criticisms of this game -- I think SU&SD's video is very good -- but I still find it very rewarding to play at low-levels, the politics are delightful, and it's easy to get onto the table.

Castles of Burgundy: other than the fact that this looks and feels like poop it's a great game. Plenty of variety in a small package and really good at two players, though my partner and I have only gotten in one game of it for reasons I'll get to later... I have a game day with some newer boardgamers this weekend and this'll be one of the games I offer up.

Hardback: my partner and I continue to love this and I brought it to a boardgame brunch with four other people and I think I singlehandedly sold three copies. I was not expecting that much love for Ascension Scrabble but it was a big hit. As deckbuilders go this definitely plays slowly with 4-5, but since you can plan your turn during other players' turns I never felt like it was dragging.

Ra and Modern Art: these are both sooo gooood. I like Ra a bit more for the push-your-luck element but both create super interesting play situations and are great for my group of loudmouths. I've even contemplated grabbing the Korean deluxe version of Modern Art because it's beautiful, but haven't pulled the trigger.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    A card game that plays like star realms but with a difference and is set in a more fantasy universe. The card game is 9 USD. You can also opt in on a big ass mini dragon for 25 total.
    The fun thing is that the dragon can also be usednin their earlier not out yet Kickstarter Mysthea.
    I really like the art in this game. It also had a totally separate Kickstarter for an artbook.

I'm a sucker for ~$10 Kickstarter games. This is my fourth or fifth. Waiting on the last one to arrive, but so far it's worked out well.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Ra and Modern Art: these are both sooo gooood. I like Ra a bit more for the push-your-luck element but both create super interesting play situations and are great for my group of loudmouths. I've even contemplated grabbing the Korean deluxe version of Modern Art because it's beautiful, but haven't pulled the trigger.

you should be drooling over the various awesome japanese versions of modern art though really ;)

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

you should be drooling over the various awesome japanese versions of modern art though really ;)

I haven't seen one of those, but how does it compare to this?

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

Sold! *Bang*

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Lykouragh wrote: »

Even being the guy that's out there being excited about Keyforge, I'm deeply skeptical about this one. It seems hard to believe that the procedural generation of box contents won't hurt the narrative or gameplay flow, and I just don't see what the upside of procedural generation for your coop exploration game is.

I'm skeptical about the procedural generation aspect, but the game itself looks pretty good

I'm probably just gonna buy one copy and ignore that the procgen part of it even exists

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

The one you might conceivably get is this

http://studio.oinkgms.com/post/166600830232/the-component-design-of-modern-art-en

The real crazy collectible one is Stamps

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f5143746e4567732e6a7067
    687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f363962494d7a692e6a7067

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Ahhh yeah I like the Oink one but prefer the slightly messier Korean one.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular

This is gorgeous. I love the little easel!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »

From the reviews:

Also "DRAFT PLZ"

I don't mind waiting a month or two while they fix this stuff.

Wait a sec, enforced no draft mode?

I'LL BUY TEN!!!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Bought! If my wife had her way, I wouldn't be reading this thread.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Bought! If my wife had her way, I wouldn't be reading this thread. living in a house made entirely of board games.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Bought! If my wife had her way, I wouldn't be reading this thread. living in a house made entirely of board games.

Nah, he's got at least some actual walls behind him when he streams. :P

This discussion has been closed.