As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Played Revolution! for the first time and it was faboo. Pretty good little game.

Also played The Metagame for the first time. Fun with the right group, and we had the right group. Nice, inexpensive party game to knock out CAH and other dreck.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Do enough people here play Scythe digital version to start some online games?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    My first game of Brass: Birmingham was the shizzle.

One player had AP the whole time and ended up in last place. I was so sure this game was going to fry me mentally, but no, I was gleefully flipping cotton and iron in the beginning, but due to loans, my income was low. Seeing the end of Era scoring taught me the value of canals, and while they truly are a poor investment, seeing scoring in real life taught me that building them in the right spots can at least net you some point-splosions.

In the second half of the game I pushed to endgame leveled Cotton, Beer and Coal. Trying to pounce on the top player's need for beer, I built a single Lvl4 Brewery, but she used her husband's beer instead. I lost by approximately 10 points but with a score of 150, higher than anything I've ever achieved in the app, I was delighted.

This game is up there with Great Western Trail, which is exactly what I was looking for. High player interactivity while getting rich without being fried mentally. I wished it didn't take 3 hours due to AP though.

EDIT - Now to figure out getting a score that high in the app. I think 110 is my record....

The app is Lancashire, right? So the scores aren't really comparable.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    New Keyforge preview article, talking about House Mars.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    And like that, my play through of Pandemic Legacy season 2 is done. We started on November 3rd, 2017.

Final score:
    727. We delivered the cure.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Athenor wrote: »
    And like that, my play through of Pandemic Legacy season 2 is done. We started on November 3rd, 2017.

Final score:
    We would have, but a bunch of Haven cards popped up and chain-reacted our faces off. :(

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Hey board game thread.

So I am looking at backing a kickstarter for the first time ever, and it's for a board game. Are there any commonly held rules of thumb for not getting completely hosed?

The KS has a solid following on BGG, and the vendor is not on the BGGeek list of bad KS's. They also don't have an extensive track record though. It's already been funded and has hit several of its stretch goals.

What else should I be looking for here?

rattletrap on
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Have they successfully delivered on past projects? Were those on time? Did they communicate with backers on a regular basis in the months following the campaign?

Does the game have a rulebook posted? Have you read it? Have they posted any reviews/previews by reputable sources?

Most important: Can you afford to lose your money if things go catastrophically wrong?

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Final score:
    We would have, but a bunch of Haven cards popped up and chain-reacted our faces off. :(
    Haven cards? You mean Hollow Men?

We laid down a network of bunkers thanks to thoroughly abusing a rule combination that was 100% legal, so we stacked all our hollow men and barely, BARELY kept alive - we could only place 2 as our margin.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    JonBob wrote: »
    Have they successfully delivered on past projects? Were those on time? Did they communicate with backers on a regular basis in the months following the campaign?

Does the game have a rulebook posted? Have you read it? Have they posted any reviews/previews by reputable sources?

Most important: Can you afford to lose your money if things go catastrophically wrong?

This appears to be the first KS project by the development house, although the developers are reasonably well known and the company has produced non-KS games in the past. The lack of a KS track record is my largest worry right now, but I'm not worried it's a scam or anything.

There is a rulebook and I've read it. Rahdo also did one of his rundowns on it which was greatly helpful in understanding how the game works (he's credible, right?).

And most importantly, yes I can afford to lose my money (but would still rather not if it can be avoided).

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    In an experience to which I'm sure several of you can relate, I was updating my collection list on BGG and discovered an entry for Ladies & Gentlemen.

I remember being given a copy at some point in 2017 by a friend of mine.

I have no earthly idea where it ended up.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Final score:

We laid down a network of bunkers thanks to thoroughly abusing a rule combination that was 100% legal, so we stacked all our hollow men and barely, BARELY kept alive - we could only place 2 as our margin.
    Whatever the name of the city with 8 or 9 goddamned cards was. They just stacked up and buried us in plague cubes.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Auralynx wrote: »
    In an experience to which I'm sure several of you can relate, I was updating my collection list on BGG and discovered an entry for Ladies & Gentlemen.

I was thinking about selling mine.

It's just a really poorly designed game, and terrible at explaining how to play it.

The unanimous reaction I've seen from every group who's tried it has been laughing at the theme, then never wanting to play it again. And after teaching it to 3 groups, I don't think I do either.

So tonight, instead of Mythos Tales, the Halloween board game was Mansions of Madness.

WOW what a difference 4 investigators instead of 2 makes. Scenarios went from "how is this possible?" to "how can we possibly lose barring very bad luck?".

Dear Fantasy Flight,

Who was the guy who balanced the player count mechanics in Arkham Horror? You need to get him back. That was the last time one of your games played well at all counts.

Yours,
    Mr. B

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »

I was thinking about selling mine.

It's just a really poorly designed game, and terrible at explaining how to play it.

The unanimous reaction I've seen from every group who's tried it has been laughing at the theme, then never wanting to play it again. And after teaching it to 3 groups, I don't think I do either.

I've enjoyed it the handful of times I played it, but the main thing as far as that goes is me wondering where the devil it went. I think I probably wouldn't have it out very often at all even if I did know where it was; it's more of a party game and, as you're sorta-saying, not that easy to explain because, for a party game, it's pretty complex.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    rattletrap wrote: »

This appears to be the first KS project by the development house, although the developers are reasonably well known and the company has produced non-KS games in the past. The lack of a KS track record is my largest worry right now, but I'm not worried it's a scam or anything.

There is a rulebook and I've read it. Rahdo also did one of his rundowns on it which was greatly helpful in understanding how the game works (he's credible, right?).

And most importantly, yes I can afford to lose my money (but would still rather not if it can be avoided).

You know as long as you don't link it you can tell us what the Kickstarter is. :P

Once you get past the big obvious warning signs of a disaster in the making the roll of the dice with board game kickstarters is... a year from now when it shows up at your door, are you still going to be excited about it? Unfortunately that's also the hardest criteria to figure out.

So tonight, instead of Mythos Tales, the Halloween board game was Mansions of Madness.

WOW what a difference 4 investigators instead of 2 makes. Scenarios went from "how is this possible?" to "how can we possibly lose barring very bad luck?".

Dear Fantasy Flight,

Who was the guy who balanced the player count mechanics in Arkham Horror? You need to get him back. That was the last time one of your games played well at all counts.

Yours,
    Mr. B

Which scenario?

Because outside of the intro column, I've gotten my ass kicked at 4-5 players. This is 2nd edition, though.

Final score:

Whatever the name of the city with 8 or 9 goddamned cards was. They just stacked up and buried us in plague cubes.
    We dropped 5 cubes on that place to start the game, AND dropped a bunker on it the second we could. It was connected to the grid per the rules, damnit! We also went in there as quickly as possible to eliminate all those cards with a prejudice.

admanb wrote: »
    rattletrap wrote: »

You know as long as you don't link it you can tell us what the Kickstarter is. :P

Once you get past the big obvious warning signs of a disaster in the making the roll of the dice with board game kickstarters is... a year from now when it shows up at your door, are you still going to be excited about it? Unfortunately that's also the hardest criteria to figure out.

Oh the rule is just don’t link? Dang it.

Game is “Barrage”, by Cranio. I love me some hydropower, and I love me some alt history aesthetic, and this has both in spades.

Dear Fantasy Flight,

Yours,
    Mr. B

Which scenario?

Because outside of the intro column, I've gotten my ass kicked at 4-5 players. This is 2nd edition, though.

I imagine it could have gone badly, but the difference between 2 investigators and 4 was crazy.

(the present/future latest DLC scenario)

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    If they've published games before then the company will understand the production cycle that is needed to see a game out the door. I'm checking it out right now.

It looks pretty solid. The Kickstarter exclusives appear to be swag, which won't hurt the retail box at all, they have a rulebook and video explanations, there is a Shut up and Sit Down preview, and they are charging for shipping. It seems like it is on the up and up. Based on their shipping schedule I'm betting they already had the funds to produce this game in core form and are looking to make sure they re-coup their cost.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I got Miskatonic school for girls and felt it needed more time in the oven after kickstarting it {it basically soured me on kickstarter} I was trawling around amazon and found out they kind of fixed it? or problems I had with it?

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    The thing about Kickstarter in my experience is that it relies on a lot of FOMO. The problem with that is 1) if the game is really, truly good enough, it will be reprinted, 2) the stretch goals are usually fluff BS and it's a rare thing for me to play a game enough to NEED an expansion and 3) since the stretch goals ARE unnecessary BS most of the time, you can buy it cheaper at retail, or pay the same price to support your FLGS.

So unless you think the game is perfect for you, but also somehow not good enough to be reprinted, or there is some Kickstarter exclusive that will make or break the game for you, just buy a new game now and that one later if it still appeals to you when it hits retail. If it has the staying power to still be desired a year+ later when good games come out constantly then I guess it's pretty good, and you didn't risk any money.

This is as a person who has backed multiple Kickstarters.

ChaosHat on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Yeah, these days I try to only Kickstarter games that I don’t think are retail viable, like 7th Continent or Kingdom Death.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Oh yeah ... I remember seeing the prototype 3D board for Barrage on BGG. Honestly, it looked really cool to me. 121 euros is more than I care to shell out headed into Christmas though. Maybe not the best bit of timing on their part. :(

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    After leaving Brass: Birmingham out too long, my kids got interested in it and wrecked up the board state. Barrels were too tempting for them apparently. Which was fine because we played the canal era very incorrectly, playing all 8 cards in hand before doing income/drawing up.

So we replayed both eras on Saturday and I loved it. Having negative income hurts a lot more when its every 2 actions though. Lots of interesting choices to make. I went into mysterious boxes but I feel like I should have taken more loans. I ended the game with a high income and a pile of money that I could not turn into victory points. Our scores were pretty close but I had a bunch of links that were worth 6 points each and I think it put me over the edge. Her focus seemed to be on doing whatever I was about to do right before I did it forcing me to rethink my move every turn. I can't wait to play it again. I can't wait to play it with 4. The really cool thing is my wife really liked it also. She asked to play it again the next night and I would have if I wasn't so tired.

Last night I sat down at a table and found out we were playing Discovery which I think has been talked about here? FFG's every copy is unique game. You get to choose one of two characters, you get ~8 stamina and you can take actions like moving gathering exploring and recovering. You gather water, medicine, wood, food, gears, and rocks. You can cook meat at a fire and use rocks and wood to make randomly dealt plans. Once someone has made a plan everyone can make it. After everyone uses their stamina there is a Mythos Night card that usually makes you drink water or eat food or take a damage. Then it gives 7-9 stamina and usually something bad happens. The problem with food and water is that most food is raw and needs to be cooked at a fire to be eaten. The problem with water is that most of it is bad or poison. Bad water makes you roll a die or get infected. Poison just straight gives you a wound. You have 3 wound dials that can be set healthy/hungry/thirsty/ill/permanent. You can recover from hungry/thirsty/ill with prepared food/water/medicine. Your win condition is unknown but you do have objectives to complete. The scenario we played had a strict time limit and a boss fight we were utterly unprepared for because we didn't know it was coming. We lost horribly. I don't see how we could have won since we were constantly running to food/water/whatever we were going to die if we didn't get before the next night phase. Honestly it felt a lot like playing Arkham Horror: Go places, things happen, usually things are bad, usually you lose. More of an experience than a game. There are many different terrains with different features and there are four scenarios in each box. The person teaching it said he hoped to trade it for a different copy as he had no interest in replaying the scenarios. Box appeared to need the purchase of a plano organizer. Come on FFG, make a box insert, it won't kill you.

TL:DR If you didn't like Arkham Horror I'm not sure if you'll like this. There is also everyone's favorite mechanic, player elimination. Sometimes the game will be co-op, sometimes it will change to competitive in the middle of the game.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm far more picky and wary in my backing based on my tastes and criteria. I've soured on minis, because my budget on time and wall-of-shame tolerance is limited. I try to determine if I strip away all the FOMO elements, whether or not the gameplay will keep me coming back for more.

That said, I backed the hell out of deluxe Gugong because that's a game I will play until I physically destroy it (Clank has reached this status.) The deluxe gives components additional toughness and eases setup/teardown to make it easier to play with strangers.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    I looked through my 50 some Kickstarters and while there are very few total stinkers, a lot of them I'm like "If I could trade that game for a better one I would do that right now" and all of the ones (eight) where I'm like "Hell yes that is a good game I love it" I could also have bought at retail.

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I've backed 69 that funded. Of these, 7 are outstanding but I expect to receive them. 3 have run away with my money.

I expect to back campaigns in the future, and likely be involved in running campaigns depending on what publishers want to do. I still won't recommend backing board game projects unless the few advantages are compelling to you:
    - Get games that are never released in another way (this is a red flag about their quality)
    - Get games a little earlier than retail
    - Get tchotchkes that aren't otherwise available
    - Get a good deal (this is rarely actually the case once you factor in standard discounts available at retail)
    - Feel good about participating in the publication process

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    Get games earlier than retail is not even a guarantee. Even for the ones who explicitly say "We hate that! We'll get backers the game first" almost invariably say "Welllllll WhateverCon is in two weeks and I had fifty copies airmailed so I'll be selling them there, I'm really sorry I didn't expect these production delays but I have a business to run and I also already have your money." And then there are the ones that don't even care and it shows up on Amazon or whatever in advance.

If it's unattainable at retail: that's a dealbreaker ladies. If it NEEDS the kickstarter only shit to be a complete game: that's a dealbreaker.

The "if it's good enough it will be reprinted" goes for all games, not just Kickstarter, by the way (excluding instances where licensing issues prevent reprinting and even then they'll probably toss a new theme onto it).

ChaosHat wrote: »
    Get games earlier than retail is not even a guarantee. Even for the ones who explicitly say "We hate that! We'll get backers the game first" almost invariably say "Welllllll WhateverCon is in two weeks and I had fifty copies airmailed so I'll be selling them there, I'm really sorry I didn't expect these production delays but I have a business to run and I also already have your money." And then there are the ones that don't even care and it shows up on Amazon or whatever in advance.

If it's unattainable at retail: that's a dealbreaker ladies. If it NEEDS the kickstarter only shit to be a complete game: that's a dealbreaker.

The "if it's good enough it will be reprinted" goes for all games, not just Kickstarter, by the way (excluding instances where licensing issues prevent reprinting and even then they'll probably toss a new theme onto it).

I'm essentially certain I got one of the dealer-backing originated copies of Spirit Island from CSI; I had it earlier than many, for sure.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The thing about Kickstarter in my experience is that it relies on a lot of FOMO.

What's FOMO?

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The thing about Kickstarter in my experience is that it relies on a lot of FOMO.

What's FOMO?
    Fear of missing out
    I got to get it now or else I will miss the ks, exclusives, this deal.
    CMON builds their campaign on FOMO

Not to be confused with:

FOTM
    Flavour of the month
    Hip now but old and busted in a month when something else is totally hip.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Fear Of Missing Out

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have a hard time buying in on Kickstarter anymore either since basically anything worthwhile is guaranteed funded. But sometimes the extras are nice so there's a bit of desire here and there.
    Otherwise, I feel like I can't complain too hard since I sold numerous Kickstarter games for more than I paid ...
    But in general, it's probably more useful for gaming accessories than games themselves. Like the Legendary metal coins that I've backed twice because they're really that good and the price is fair, and I'll sure as hell never see them locally. <_<

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Crossquote from the D&D natural disasters thread:
    Mayabird wrote: »
    75% of Venice (Italy) just flooded. Combination of strong winds at high tide. There's supposed to be a project to project the city from these floods but of course it hasn't been done due to corruption delays. Seems like a lot of cities are competing to be the first to be lost by the rising seas.

I feel a Survive: escape from Atlantis retheme is in the works.

steam_sig.png
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Or Pandemic: Rising Tide

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    So we played Forbidden Stars and two of the three of us had a really good time. Sadly the chaos player got his legs chopped out early from not building up/playing too aggressively and was basically a non factor by turn 4. So we called it there as making him suffer through wasn't going to be a good time. Sadly he does not really want to play again, extra sad because he is one of the few I can reliably call on for "I have a big complicated thing and need people down for that, as well as not minding if we have to check the rulebook a few times"
    So it is definitely a game that will let it's players fall through a crack, but I think that is way more avoidable than we saw at first, just given how we were stumbling around like drunk toddlers to start. I loved the making stacks of orders, moving warp storms, and combat was surprisingly evocative as well! I'm just going to have to work really hard to make sure it hits the table again.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Forbidden Stars is an easy game to lose during the setup phase, which can make the first game or two shaky. man its awesome though.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    A coworker who saw me struggling to get a eurogame going in mini territory tried to sell me on Malifeaux. What is that? It sounds like it at least ditches the wargame RNG. But still. Minis, plastic and space. Ugh.

I basically explained that euros are like Monopoly, only good.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
This discussion has been closed.