As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    So how bad of a strategy is this for Pandemic Legacy season one. Up to june spoilers

So for us, black is out of control. So the middle east is gone. We lost 2 games in may, and then crushed june thanks to an upgrade and a new strategy with the new rules.

We put a research station in northern africa, just outside the mutated disease that is the color black. We have previous military bases from previous games, as getting 6 in the different area's is a thing. He goes in, roadblocks off, while leaving an escape path as the dispatcher. I go in as Colonel Mustard, and set up more road blocks, to prevent these zombie fucks from spreading. On his turn he pulls me out, before I can get a scar, and I repeat, basically quarantining off all of the black quadrants while our quarantinist puts quarantines on them when they can, and I remove faded figures as I can.

We got lucky with out breaks and actually eradicated 2 of the 3 diseases this way.

Is this a good way to go about things or are we setting ourselves up for failure?

Also, a road block is permanent in the game it's placed in right? An outbreak doesn't break the road block right? There's a steep price to move past one if you're not the Colonel, so it made sense.

After 2 losses in May, June was pretty easy. The cards did play nice though and we didn't really have any outbreaks, except for a couple of cities that are already fucked lol!

About that last bit in your spoiler
    Roadblocks are indeed in place for the whole game once you've placed them. If you haven't been doing so, I would recommend maybe using the "Make 3 roadblocks permanent" Game End Upgrade to get some permanent borders established around your Faded epidemic. It can make for a lot less work in future game sessions, in addition to the obvious bonus that you don't have to worry about it spreading past those roadblocks any more.
    Just be wary of the effect that roadblocks have for your mobility.
    Objectives change all the time, and the permanent roadblocks can hinder your mobility for multiple games if you build too many.

In our game, we ended up making some permanent roadblocks to contain the C0da Faded cities, but not much more than that.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I have some concerns about Teotihuacan after a couple plays. Mainly it seems like building the pyramid the most and most efficiently is the way to win, and everything else is secondary. I'm not sure a game with competent players is going to not end with the pyramid getting built somewhere around the end of round 2, but that could be down to which of a couple specific tiles come out. Which is fine, but if that's what the game is it's hella overwrought for it to boil down get Stone, get wood, bills the shit of the pyramid. It feels interesting whole you're playing it but... Yeah I need to play it more and see.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Zombicide: Black Plague is $52 on Amazon right now. I've never seen it that low. I might have to cave this time! Hopefully it doesn't feel too fiddly playing it with only two people controlling multiple characters.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I have some concerns about Teotihuacan after a couple plays. Mainly it seems like building the pyramid the most and most efficiently is the way to win, and everything else is secondary. I'm not sure a game with competent players is going to not end with the pyramid getting built somewhere around the end of round 2, but that could be down to which of a couple specific tiles come out. Which is fine, but if that's what the game is it's hella overwrought for it to boil down get Stone, get wood, bills the shit of the pyramid. It feels interesting whole you're playing it but... Yeah I need to play it more and see.

Played this again today and specifically left out the tech upgrade tiles that make building the pyramid better, and suddenly it felt like a game. It's a shame because they're are only 9 tech tiles and you use 6, so leaving it 3 means it's not actually s random setup there. But still it was leaps better that way, so it is what it is I guess.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Damn, the last close board game cafe near me is closing. :( But I need your help, in checking which ones are hard to find gems that I can buy:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15YkRvM0KR5Uzl5CNltMxhqRLDNGdBxcO3mI2LcV4hXo/edit#gid=0

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Played Trainmaker last night. It's a neat little filler game that anyone can play and enjoy. Big chunky dice, simple concept, finishes quickly.

7 dice, 5 different sides. Engine, 3 types of cars, and a caboose. You must roll an engine and a car on your first turn to start building your train. Failing to do this happened rarely, but even if it does, there's a small benefit. Once you start building your train, you may reroll dice you don't use, but you must add at least one car to your train after each roll and you must finish your train with a caboose in order to score it. So you may not want to wait until you're rolling 1 die to hope to get a caboose.

Each turn there are 3 city cards that have different train configuration requirements to score. Each city provides a different resource. You win by collecting 6 different resources, or by getting the resources required by a goal card you were dealt (deal two, pick one)

You can even take multiple turns by starting your train with two engines plus a car, but you can only use the dice you had in your train for the second turn, losing the extra dice if there were any.

Then, every player has one token they can use to change 1 die to whatever side they want. You only get this token back when you start your turn and roll no engines.

Definitely see my kids getting into this one, though I can also see some frustration in how quickly games can end. Depending on your goal and what city cards are dealt, you could win the game in one turn. However, it's quickly enough reset and started again so can just play again and again. Great filler game and small enough to travel with. I could see them making a mini version of this using smaller dice (these are Quantum sized, not normal d6), and mini cards as a travel edition.

If you like push your luck dice rollers, trains, or quick fillers, check it out.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Can you Play pandemic legacy or base pandemic with 5 players or will it ruin the game flow?

Edit also. How bad would it feel for a 5th player to jump into a risk legacy game?

RickRude on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Pandemic does not work with 5.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Pandemic Legacy S2 late October
    Got our asses handed to us. We couldn't handle covering the first round of infections in preparation for the first epidemic card. We had three red cards in the first wave and our route to the far east was too long to get there quickly.
    Plus, we hit the first epidemic on the first player card draw. Lots of cities at 0 pop now. It's very ugly. This was a huge surprise after we crushed it in September. We've been tearing up infection cards when the opportunity was there, but there are still so many in the deck.

Reconning down-under to find Topaz seems impossible, given how large the player deck is. We purchased every city card upgrade to maximize how many reds are in the deck, but there are still only 11 in a deck that's around 80 cards.
    Our biggest problem is that we never sent city cards to box 6. Now we're paying the piper.
    We didnt even have time this last game to try to do that. Now that November is here, I dont know if we are going to be able to recover.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Can you Play pandemic legacy or base pandemic with 5 players or will it ruin the game flow?

Edit also. How bad would it feel for a 5th player to jump into a risk legacy game?

Pandemic Iberia can be played with 5 (I think), but Base Pandemic and Pandemic Legacy Season 1-2 are balanced for 2-4. Pandemic has an expansion that adds a 5th player as a bioterrorist (so it becomes a 1 vs. many game).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Pandemic Legacy S2 late October
    Got our asses handed to us. We couldn't handle covering the first round of infections in preparation for the first epidemic card. We had three red cards in the first wave and our route to the far east was too long to get there quickly.
    Plus, we hit the first epidemic on the first player card draw. Lots of cities at 0 pop now. It's very ugly. This was a huge surprise after we crushed it in September. We've been tearing up infection cards when the opportunity was there, but there are still so many in the deck.

Reconning down-under to find Topaz seems impossible, given how large the player deck is. We purchased every city card upgrade to maximize how many reds are in the deck, but there are still only 11 in a deck that's around 80 cards.
    Our biggest problem is that we never sent city cards to box 6. Now we're paying the piper.
    We didnt even have time this last game to try to do that. Now that November is here, I dont know if we are going to be able to recover.
    Pandemic Legacy S2 post October spoilers
    Yeah, thinning the player deck is pretty strong, because it allows you to maximize all of the cards that have upgrades on them while simultaneously reducing the average number of cards before you hit an epidemic, especially if you are 1 card under the threshold for adding a new epidemic card to the deck.

I think there is at least one more way to add red cards to the deck (or red card equivalents) when November rolls around, but I forget.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Pandemic Iberia can be played with 5 (I think), but Base Pandemic and Pandemic Legacy Season 1-2 are balanced for 2-4. Pandemic has an expansion that adds a 5th player as a bioterrorist (so it becomes a 1 vs. many game).

Pandemic Iberia totally can, as can the dice game.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Pandemic Iberia totally can, as can the dice game.

The 1st edition of base Pandemic supported 5 but newer versions cut back to 4. Honestly thinning out the Player Deck generally works against you anyway; most 5p games should be ugly losses.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular

This is a common misunderstanding. Pandemic On the Brink allows 5 players in the ordinary game (by increasing the number of events in the deck, primarily). The 1 vs. all Bioterrorist module is for 3 or 4 players only.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I got the 1.0 pass on the rules and cards done for our in-progress board game. Once I'm done hammering out some details to the rule book, I'll begin creating some quick paper versions of the cards. Then the playtesting begins! Time to find out if this concept works or is even fun.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I got the 1.0 pass on the rules and cards done for our in-progress board game. Once I'm done hammering out some details to the rule book, I'll begin creating some quick paper versions of the cards. Then the playtesting begins! Time to find out if this concept works or is even fun.

I dunno how willing you would be to share some of your initial iteration / prototyping experiences, but as a budding game designer, I really like to read how people work through the initial problems they encounter. That sort of puzzle solving and thought process is really fascinating to read and watch happen.

But also it's kind of terrifying to share that info with other people, so I can understand why most people lock those pictures/stories down in the basement of behind the scenes info.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Oh, quick question! As I'm writing the rules out, I've come across a lot of instances of writing "Ships and Buildings" when describing things. In the game, players use cards to represent buildings (Factories, tech labs, etc) or their ships (Scouts, Fighters, etc). What's bothering me is having to write something like this:

Each player has two Rows; Front Row and Back Row. Ships or Buildings in the Front Row protect anything in the Back Row. In order to attack the Back Row, the Front Row must have no Ships or Buildings. The exception to this is if a Ship or Building has the Ranged ability. Cards with Ranged can attack the Back Row regardless of what's in the Front Row. In addition, Ranged units to not receive counter-attack damage, unless the defender has Ranged as well.

Using the expression "Ships or Buildings" gets repetitive and feels wordy after a while. I'm leaning on using the word "Units" to describe them both, but I don't know if unit describes a building. Hell, in that example alone, I used the word "Cards" and "units" to describe Ships and Buildings. :P

So any thoughts on the use of the word Unit? Does it work? Bother you? Just fine or confusing? Any other word replacements that could cover "Ships and Buildings"? Thanks!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Oh, quick question! As I'm writing the rules out, I've come across a lot of instances of writing "Ships and Buildings" when describing things. In the game, players use cards to represent buildings (Factories, tech labs, etc) or their ships (Scouts, Fighters, etc). What's bothering me is having to write something like this:

Each player has two Rows; Front Row and Back Row. Ships or Buildings in the Front Row protect anything in the Back Row. In order to attack the Back Row, the Front Row must have no Ships or Buildings. The exception to this is if a Ship or Building has the Ranged ability. Cards with Ranged can attack the Back Row regardless of what's in the Front Row. In addition, Ranged units to not receive counter-attack damage, unless the defender has Ranged as well.

Using the expression "Ships or Buildings" gets repetitive and feels wordy after a while. I'm leaning on using the word "Units" to describe them both, but I don't know if unit describes a building. Hell, in that example alone, I used the word "Cards" and "units" to describe Ships and Buildings. :P

So any thoughts on the use of the word Unit? Does it work? Bother you? Just fine or confusing? Any other word replacements that could cover "Ships and Buildings"? Thanks!

"Asset," perhaps?

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Just use "card" or "cards" because I'm 100% sure that units will make a significant number of people think it refers only to ships, and not buildings.

Source: one of the longest running community jokes for Codex is that the subtitle of the game should be: "Heroes aren't Units."

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Everyone has their own design process, of course, but I've found that I work best if I don't bother writing out full rules at this stage. While you are doing early iterations you want to be nimble, and the more work you do on wordsmithing, art, etc. the more reluctant you tend to be to make big changes and throw stuff away.

Instead, I write a player aid only. This lets me change easily, frees me from obsessing over wording, and puts pressure on me to keep things clear and simple.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    I'm trying not to get too bogged down in writing detailed rules, but I also want to be clear. I'm a big fan of using examples and/or pictures to show how they work in various situations. Regardless, I've started using "cards" in place of Ships and Buildings and it feels fine so far.

Just finished the Combat section and only have the "Notes, Tips, Tactics, and Clarifications" section to complete. Would anyone here be interested in reading what I've got? I can post it in a spoiler or via PM.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Cards/ships and buildings can be placed in the front and the rear.
    Melee attacks can only attack the rear if the front is empty.
    Ranged attacks can attack both front and rear. Ranged attackers only receive damage from ranged defenders.

I would write it like this.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Treasure Island was a 1v1 treat between me and my girlfriend, despite the obvious losses from a low player count. Typically, the pirate players are frenemies who may choose to share information or lie to each other. In 1v1, one player is Long John Silver and other plays as three pirates. It turned real tense as I ran out of time as the three pirates. She, as LJS, decided to toy with me and take her sweet time working her way to the treasure, because it slipped under my nose twice.

I hope to get more players on Saturday. It should be a real riot!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Are there people who Sidereal Confluence aren't for? I have the opportunity to buy one, but I'm not sure if my group buys into the wheeling and dealing needed for this game.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Admittedly I find that pair of statements a bit confusing together, but if you're just trying to clarify "Is Sidereal Confluence a game most people will like and enjoy?" the answer is definitely "No." Enough people here like it so I'm sure it could get some reasonable defense, but at the end of the day if your group doesn't like Wheel-N-Deal this one isn't going to change that.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    It’s also a fairly long game, which will be a big turnoff to many groups.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    I liked it but no one else ever wanted to play it again, so I traded it on. Try it before you buy it, or know your group well enough to know it will get played.

• Options
    Are there people who Sidereal Confluence aren't for? I have the opportunity to buy one, but I'm not sure if my group buys into the wheeling and dealing needed for this game.

I've seen it completely fry someone, despite there not being intense math.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

I've seen it completely fry someone, despite there not being intense math.

SC is one of my favorite games and I've only played it twice

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
      Can someone tell me why in the world The Reckoners costs $100?

• Options
      Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
      Would Sidereel Confluence be prohibitively fiddly to play over Tabletop Simulator?

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Dark White wrote: »
      Would Sidereel Confluence be prohibitively fiddly to play over Tabletop Simulator?

With all the chatter going on during trading I don't think TS would be a good medium to play SC over

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        MrBody wrote: »

Big box, lots of bits, over produced everything

• Options
        MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
        Ah_Pook wrote: »
        MrBody wrote: »

Big box, lots of bits, over produced everything

Is it? All the pictures just looks like two dozen okay, small miniatures, dice, and a couple trays.

• Options
        It certainly looked like it when I saw people playing it, I haven't played it myself though

• Options
        admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
        Those trays are absurdly elaborate. I'm guessing those dice are pricey as well.

• Options
        ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
        How much of this stuff is kickstarter VS retail release though?

• Options
        QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
        Admittedly I find that pair of statements a bit confusing together, but if you're just trying to clarify "Is Sidereal Confluence a game most people will like and enjoy?" the answer is definitely "No." Enough people here like it so I'm sure it could get some reasonable defense, but at the end of the day if your group doesn't like Wheel-N-Deal this one isn't going to change that.

I will say, as far as wheel and deal games go it is VERY friendly feeling, as everyone needs things they largely can't make and makes things others need, so you'd have to try to really lock yourself out of mattering to the game. I also think it's a game that's just about as fun losing as winning.

• Options
        admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
        How much of this stuff is kickstarter VS retail release though?

It looks like the Kickstarter versions turns a bunch of stuff into METAL pieces made of METAL 'cause it's hella METAL.

• Options
        Because shuffling is the bane of my existence
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxJubaijQbI

This discussion has been closed.